Message Boards

Topic : 02/21 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins Follow-up

Number of Replies: 125
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, February 15, 2007, 04:41:20 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Sarah and Tecoa check in with Dr. Phil after three months of drug rehabilitation. Sent to two separate rehab centers, the twin sisters had to learn to stand on their own two feet before they could move forward in sobriety. The sisters haven’t seen each other in months. How is Tecoa doing after giving birth and placing the baby for adoption? Which twin relapsed and used IV drugs after months of hard work? Then, after rescuing Sarah and Tecoa, Joani finds herself back to the life of addiction -- abusing pain killers, lying to doctors and even meeting one of the twins’ old drug dealers to purchase heroin! How did this happen? Plus, a viewer inspired by Sarah and Tecoa’s story reaches out for help. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More February 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 2, 2007, 8:00 pm CST

Thanks for the update of the twins

How wonderful that they look sooo much better. It must be hard to stay clean. I do know people who are on those programs that are suppose to help addicts get clean but most arent. They sell their doses of medicaton and still get high. Well watching the one twin talk about her new job and how excited she was I noticed the other twin was kinda jealous I thought. Maybe that is why she had a set back. I just wish them both the best and hope they can stay clean. Keep up the good job girls

March 5, 2007, 1:50 am CST

How to heal

I really hope that both girls and baby are okay. I invited Sarah into my house a few years ago. Well, it wasn't actually me, it was my older sister. Along with her came two other heroine addicts. One of them is dead. He hung himself in jail. The other had a stroke and has a memory spanse of about 45 seconds. The second has a young daughter.

They were all lost and my roommate and I both wanted so badly to help them all. Me especially because my sister was involved with them. However, though my roommate and I were younger than all of them at the time after a few weeks the situation became uncomfortable and we had to take some action. Our valuables went missing. My checkbook was gone with some of my clothes. The two of us banded together to get them out. The hardest part was that my sister fought the hardest to stay. It killed me. It was certainly causing a rift between the strong friendship I had with my roomie, part of it was that I loved and still love my sister, but I finally had my brother put them out and we changed the locks.

So when I was cleaning my room, listening to Dr. Phil and I heard Sarah's voice, it was all too familiar. I hope she's healed. But I also wish that that rift between my roommate and even now my sister could have been fixed as professionally.

March 5, 2007, 5:35 pm CST

02/21 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins Follow-up

Quote From: elffie

Is that Daniel Radcliff for your icon?  Harry Potter?
HHAHAHAHAHAHAH

March 16, 2007, 10:05 am CDT

ANXIETY - DEPRESSION - SHAME - SELF DESTRUCTION

Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) is a serious mental illness characterized by pervasive instability in moods, interpersonal relationships, self-image, and behavior.  This instability often disrupts family and work life, long-term planning, and the individual's sense of self-identity. 

While less known than schizophrenia or bipolar disorder (manic-depressive illness), BPD is more common, affecting 2% of adults (1 in 33), mostly young women .  Some of my favorite books which provide great introduction and insight:

Get Me Out of Here:  My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder by Rachel Reiland

Emotional Blackmail:  When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation and Guilt to Manipulate You by Susan Forward AND Healing Anxiety and Depression by Daniel Amen and Lisa Routh

Why is it Always About You?  The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism by Sandy Hotchkiss

Some of the story is typical:  early family conflicts, abusive relationships, feelings of insecurity contributing to destructive behaviors such as rage attacks, promiscuity, and anorexia.  The extreme behaviors of BPD constitute the high drama in the stories of those who endure its ravages.

Hope it helps!

March 18, 2007, 12:28 pm CDT

Drugs Everywhere

Quote From: pearlhanna

Tecoa, able to obtain illegal drugs at a 12 step meeting, I wonder if the person that sold the drug can be arrested and/or kicked out of CO meetings?  The person sabatoged her efforts and did an illegal act.  Twelve-steppers probably face sabotage often. 

In the past,  I have gone to these meetings with my daughter. I prefer the AA meetings to the NA meetings. There are alot of users that attend these meetings. Many of the people that attend the NA meetings, do so because it is required of them as part of a prop 36 program or probation.

March 25, 2007, 2:17 am CDT

02/21 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins Follow-up

Quote From: geekasaur

Life in chronic pain is no joke, and I completely understand where Joani has been and how she got there.  Everyone is right that if you take narcotics you will be physically addicted to it.  What few people get is that for many people in chronic pain, they will back that up by saying, "So, what's your point?  Yes it is addictive, and I would dearly love to be on anything else, I would, if I could, but I can't, so I won't."

I came down with something called Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy in 1994, comepletely out of the blue.  Prior to that, I cycled 60 km (about 35 miles) a day, to and from work.  My wife and I were very good ballroom dancers, which TV watchers now know is a lot of effort.  Instantaneously it was all over.  I was using a cane, then 2, then Canada canes, then crutches, then a walker, a wheelchair and now a power chair.  Every step down came with a lot of resistance and I waited far too long before finally giving in.  With my meds it was the same story.  I began with anti-inflammatories and the other painkillers, followed by codeine and then on up through its derivatives, morphine and its derivatives, etc.  When my condition was it its worst, I was on 85 mg of sub-cu dilaudid (hydromorphone) an hour. Sub-cu is about twice the strength of pills, I am told, which would make it 10 times stronger than morphine..  I am now on about 10% of that, as fentanyl.  Thank God for socialized medicine, because the dilaudid cost $350 Canadian a day, about $300 US.  That is a day, folks!

Right now, all up my drugs and other medical expenses total $23,000+ a year, most of which is covered by socialized medical support and insurance.  It still isn't cheapand doesn't include all the non-medical costs, like equipment and "decorating" costs, and a great topic for an expose is the cost of being disabled - try toilet seats.  Going down the last 2" is the killer, so a toilet seat that eliminates it is worth its weight in gold, or almost, since it costs $135 and not even gold costs that much!  You can buy motorcycles cheaper that power wheelchairs, suitably kitted out with extras like seats and controllers (I am not joking!).

Joani has my sympathy and deserves yours.  Yes, she made a mistake, Yes it is awful easy to make, and easier to throw stones.  While it doesn't make her mistake right, neither is all the stonethrowing.
I can also say that chronic pain is no joke. I have suffered from lower back pain for many years, and finally had 2 surgeries and many other "procedures", but nothing has helped relieve the pain that I have constantly, 24/7. Yes, I too am on painkillers, oxycodone, duragesic patch-Fentanyl, and also muscle relaxer Soma-but still can't perform my daily duties. I don't work, can't keep up on housework, etc. It is very depressing because it makes me feel like I am going crazy at times, because doctors don't know what to do with me.  I mostly prefer to sit at home alone because I don't want to bother friends and family with my pain and the daily agony that goes along with it. The meds is what my family don't like to hear about-they are worried about me, but I have to get some  form of relief from the constant burning pain that never, ever goes away. I can certainly relate to Joani and her return for help to feel better. If only a miracle doctor was out there to fix my back to what it used to be. Good luck to all out there that know what we are going through and God Bless All.

June 5, 2007, 8:50 am CDT

Tecoa Moved Out of Sober Living

Tecoa, my daughter and another gal from the sober living have taken an apartment together. Tecoa still works 2 jobs. All is well I think but I have some concerns. Will keep you posted.

June 11, 2007, 8:12 am CDT

Tecoa

Perhaps Dr Phil should do a follow up on Tecoa. My daughter who lives with Tecoa is drinking and I think she may be using Meth again! My 2 year old grandson is also living with them! My daughter will be going to jail soon for her 3rd DUI in 9 years! We don't know how long the sentence will be yet.........I think court ordered rehab would be a far better choice than jail but they have never offered it in Ventura County. Just prop 36, which I think is a big waste of money for taxpayers!

August 22, 2007, 9:34 pm CDT

For DOM....

Hi Dom,
Im messaging you from Australia. I know there is a real delay in when we get to watch the shows. Ive seen yours today but I think we are about 6 months behind.
I really felt that I was to do something and I hope you will consider it. I need to tell you to get hold of some of the DEREK PRINCE books from your christian book store or on line. Specifically "They shall expell Demons" Please dont let the title of the book freak you out! If you need to respond to this message and I will help if I can.
God Bless, you are in our prayers.

September 10, 2007, 11:55 am CDT

Heroin Twins

My family and I have been waiting for the first show on the heroin twins, and now the boards are saying part 3 is coming up?

Has it been aired already in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and we've just missed it?

First | Prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last