Message Boards

Topic : 02/21 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins Follow-up

Number of Replies: 125
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, February 15, 2007, 04:41:20 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Sarah and Tecoa check in with Dr. Phil after three months of drug rehabilitation. Sent to two separate rehab centers, the twin sisters had to learn to stand on their own two feet before they could move forward in sobriety. The sisters haven’t seen each other in months. How is Tecoa doing after giving birth and placing the baby for adoption? Which twin relapsed and used IV drugs after months of hard work? Then, after rescuing Sarah and Tecoa, Joani finds herself back to the life of addiction -- abusing pain killers, lying to doctors and even meeting one of the twins’ old drug dealers to purchase heroin! How did this happen? Plus, a viewer inspired by Sarah and Tecoa’s story reaches out for help. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More February 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 21, 2007, 3:33 pm CST

02/21 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins Follow-up

Quote From: mommakit

Once your body is ADDICTED to a drug....You can NEVER again have anything that "alters" your brain chemistry........ joni was ADDICTED the minute the habit was back. You can't try to make sense of this disease. it is the Disease of Insanity! I KNOW, because I have a daughter in recovery (2 years!) and a mother addicted to alcohol, but has been "dry" for 19 years.
I was confused when I heard about Joni using herion. i thought she was addicted to pain pills. I hope she can bounce back from this. I think she's a strong woman and she will have the strength to fight this.

February 21, 2007, 3:34 pm CST

Twins

I will be interested to see how the lady that was helping them deals with her addiction to cronic pain medicine.  I take alot of pain medication for cronic abdominal pain and have yet to find any other pain relief except through narcotics. 

February 21, 2007, 3:34 pm CST

So glad you told your story!

Quote From: junebug38134

After watching the girls on the show today, I remembered how proud I was the day I graduated from Rehab in S. Fla.

I was 35 yrs old, mother of 2 grown boys and hurricane Andrew hit S Fla/  I had many friends that were in the same situation that I was in as far as a home goes........except my husband brought home a "friend" that the hurricane demolished his house and since he had a son, I said that he could stay with us for a few days.  That is where I was introduced to crack cocaine.  I was an office manager for a Surgeon, who I ended up writing bad checks out and after ,bout 5 years of drugging and getting money anywhere Family, Friends and even stealing from my boss, I was arrested!  For Gods sake, this was not me, I was the baseball MOM!  I then was put on probation and eventually violated for being dirty.  I was sent to jail for 8 days, when I released, went back to the same thing.  Again, I came up dirty and that was when I was sent to a drug rehab.  When I first went in and they told me I would be there 9 months, I thought they were out of their mind!  I can remember this as if it was yesterday, I had been there for 3 months and was standing in the shower when it finally hit me, HEY, I DO BELONG HERE!  After that, the rehab was a breeze.  When I got out, I had nothing, but within 2 weeks, I mananged to find a small house and a 450. car to get to work, only to realize that my husband was still using.  I had a good job, packed up everything that would fit into my car and moved to another state.  I am presently  a HR manager for a lg company and am a VERY proud grandma.

What I am getting at, is, that there are days that I do not even think about those days, but I deep  down I will never forget.  I recently received a promotion at work and sent the email that was sent to all of my co-workers from my boss to my parents.  They were so very proud, my mom must have forwarded that email to everyone I have ever known.  To me just that alone was enough to keep me clean.  It has been 10 years now, and I will be 50 yrs old in a few months, but like I said in the very beginning, I will never forget the proud feeling that I had when I left rehab.  Girls, keep up the good work, no it will not be easy dealing with real life, you just learn to cope.  Keep your chin up, your head held high and plan one day at a time.

I'm proud of YOU Junebug!!!!!!!! you keep up your good work!!! One day at a time!

February 21, 2007, 3:43 pm CST

Twins

I just watched the show, and I am amazed on how good these girls look. Sarah is happy feels good about herself and has a goal in life, Tecoa I new had relapsed because of the baby. She just has not hit rock bottom yet. I am very hopeful for her because I feel her sister will help her. I am a recovery addict of METH. I was around the Bikers and the lifestyle doing drugs, I loved it. I didnt hit bottom I chose to quit or get my kids taken away. So today 8 years later I am still clean and sober. I feel for the girls because i know what it feels like to have that need which is so overwhelming that if I was clean I would never do things that I'm not proud of. I'm so proud of these girls. Dr. Phil you are awesome.

February 21, 2007, 3:47 pm CST

CHRONIC PAIN

Sorry to hear this dear lady suffers with chronic pain and a addiction problem.
 I suffer with chronic pain, as well-no addiction though-thank goodness....

Carol Rains
"There is Hope..."
A United Voice for Chronic Pain...
thereishope@centurytel.net

February 21, 2007, 3:47 pm CST

pain meds are a pain

Quote From: son_of_ares

if you are on pain medication (also called opiates.....such as hydrocodone, loretabb,morphine)  for a prolonged period your body WILL DEFINITELY become dependent on these.  It is a price you will pay to deal with the pain.  Is it worth it?  You have to answer that for yourself.  If it's working for you  and keeps the pain away then you  gotta do what you gotta do.  Good luck. 
My cousin just entered rehab for pain med. addiction. It's true...It is YOUR CHOICE to use pain medication. There are alternative methods to deal with chronic pain. They certainly are worth looking into. Living your life, numbed by pain drugs is not a great quality of life, but it is a CHOICE. I am sorry you have the pain and I'm sorry if you are addicted to the medication. That's a real bummer, but it is nice to know that you have alternative choices.

February 21, 2007, 3:51 pm CST

oh please give me a break

Quote From: kazinia

Joni is a master manipulator. I knew she was full of it when she was on the show rescuing people ... maybe so she could be back on the show?  I thought Dr. Phil was smarter than this. She is a health care professional ... who is she kidding? Ultram? A prescription pill addiction that moved up a few notches to snorting heroin? Give me a break. She is in denial and Dr. Phil is, too.  jcb
so you have a doctorate degree yep  Dr Phil knows what he is doing so when ya get YOUR DEGREE THEN YOU CAN SAY WHO IS A MANIPULATOR YOU GIVE ME A BREAK.  DR PHIL IS A SMART MAN SO DONT BE PUTTIN DR PHIL DOWN SHEESE GIVE ME A BREAK.

February 21, 2007, 4:06 pm CST

the twins and a facility mentioned on the show

Quote From: mommakit

I'm proud of YOU Junebug!!!!!!!! you keep up your good work!!! One day at a time!
Today on Dr Phil, they mentioned a facility to treat chronic pain without narcotics.  Did anyone catch the name of theat facility???  I have a 54 y/o mother who does in fact have "chronic pain"  She got on Methadone, Liquid Oxycodone(illegally obtained), Klonipin, Phenergan, Xanax (illegally obtained), Hydrocodone, and now even has a permanent pain port surgically implanted with Dalotid(?spelling)  This all started in Jan 2000 when she broke her ankel, and she has not been off any of these since then...it has been one pain after another to get the drugs.  I tried to question her doctors as she sits and starts fires in the furniture, and carpet, burns herself, falls asleep on the phone does not bathe, brush her teeth, and other Daily living activities...they told me it was none of my business...her medical conditions were private between her and her doctors.  She does not feel she is abusing these medications , or her methods of obtaining them...the doctor perscribs them...is her answer...she's not addicted.  I would like to do some research on this non narcotic facility if anyone can rememebr the name of it...she is killing herself and has destroyed our family...all of us!!!  Please if anyone can remember I would appreciate it, not that she would try something like that, but I want to mail her the info.

February 21, 2007, 4:09 pm CST

Joni

I take medication for chronic pain and never has it crossed my mind that I need heroin to complete my pain management. I am very annoyed that she is saying she has chronic pain and that caused her to do heroin. I think she is full of it and just wanted to get attention so she picked the twins to get it for her. I think it is great that they got help but I think when Dr. Phil stops paying for rehab they will be back at it.  Hope I am wrong. Joni on the other hand....

February 21, 2007, 4:13 pm CST

Don't forget about Alanon Meetings/ We all need support!

Quote From: hopeful07

I have a brother who is a "recovering" heroin addict. He thinks he is recovered but he hasn't come anywhere close to it. The hardest thing, I think for a family member is knowning there potential in life, remembering them when they were clean. My mother is an enabler she doesn't know the term of tough love. She is very scared to loose her only son to this horrible disease. Addiction is very frustrating, I have been there for my brother by just letting him know that I love him and that I will support him in every way possible. But he does nothing to change his ways, he stills associates with the same kind of people. He does what he wants, and takes advantage of my parents. Its a families worst nightmare to see there loved ones go through this. I am scared that I'm going to loose my brother. The twins are lucky that they had this chance to go into rehab and start to change there lives. 10% is the drug 90% is the behavior associated with the drugs. Although my brother says he hasn't used in almost a year. He still has the behavior of a drug addict...stealing, lying etc. just like an addict. I have hope and faith. I have let go and let God. Anyone out there who thinks that there calling is to help those who are addicts, and wants to share your story with him,  Jimmy (my brother) could use every bit of inspiration from someone who is a recovered addict. He is a very kind and openminded person.Take care and God Bless you all...I'm keeping the twins in my thoughts and prayers
You sound like you have done some work!!!! Good for YOU! It has saved my life! Families and friends of addicts experience their own "addiction to their addict." We become so used to the dysfunctional behaviors of our addicts, that we experience our own sick behaviors in reaction to theirs.......... It's all crazieness! We all need to work an Alanon program. There are meetings everywhere in the world. We MUST take care of ourselves and pray that our addicts will eventually see the light and make the choice of Recovery. I am the mother of a 30 yr. old daughter who is in Recovery and has been sober for 2 1/2 years. My mother has been sober from alcohol for 19 years. "IT WORKS IF YA WORK IT!" I am a greeting card artist and I am coming out with Recovery Messages soon! We all need support and I'M GOING TO MAKE THAT HAPPEN. i'll be on the web, so look for me. :-)

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last