Message Boards

Topic : 02/21 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins Follow-up

Number of Replies: 125
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, February 15, 2007, 04:41:20 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Sarah and Tecoa check in with Dr. Phil after three months of drug rehabilitation. Sent to two separate rehab centers, the twin sisters had to learn to stand on their own two feet before they could move forward in sobriety. The sisters haven’t seen each other in months. How is Tecoa doing after giving birth and placing the baby for adoption? Which twin relapsed and used IV drugs after months of hard work? Then, after rescuing Sarah and Tecoa, Joani finds herself back to the life of addiction -- abusing pain killers, lying to doctors and even meeting one of the twins’ old drug dealers to purchase heroin! How did this happen? Plus, a viewer inspired by Sarah and Tecoa’s story reaches out for help. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More February 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 19, 2007, 10:18 pm CST

Heroin Twins Follow up

I am happy to hear that one of the twins is doing well. Yet sad that the other is still in so much pain.I think it's tragic that the twins have had to endure any of this. I hope that the twins can continue to get the help that they desperately need.  Both of these girls need to know that they are thought of and loved. I think about them all the time and wonder what has happened to them.  They are in my prayers.

February 20, 2007, 8:22 am CST

02/21 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins Follow-up

It breaks my heart to see all these people suffering addiction can be a difficult thing for people to understand if they are uneducated about everything with it, and it's very easy for people to pass judgment on people then to be understanding. Cause I was one of those people.  Until I became addicted to pain killers 5yrs ago right after I finally got off of cocaine.  I watched dr.phil everyday and it inspired me to go get help expectually joani and I am so scaried for her because it is a very hard thing to get over.. I went to rehab I was  clean 6 months then I relasped I couldn't even telling why but I go to meeting every chance I can now, and I'm struggling trying to help my husband who at times seems to be losing his battle to his addiction, he is addicted to crack/cocaine, and I don't think there is anything that hurts worse than to watch someone whom you love with all your heart slowly kill theirselves and fell absolutely useless.  because there is nothing that I can do but what I do that is every chance I have ask him to go to a meeting with me.  If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it.

February 20, 2007, 10:27 am CST

Quote From: mnatoli

It breaks my heart to see all these people suffering addiction can be a difficult thing for people to understand if they are uneducated about everything with it, and it's very easy for people to pass judgment on people then to be understanding. Cause I was one of those people.  Until I became addicted to pain killers 5yrs ago right after I finally got off of cocaine.  I watched dr.phil everyday and it inspired me to go get help expectually joani and I am so scaried for her because it is a very hard thing to get over.. I went to rehab I was  clean 6 months then I relasped I couldn't even telling why but I go to meeting every chance I can now, and I'm struggling trying to help my husband who at times seems to be losing his battle to his addiction, he is addicted to crack/cocaine, and I don't think there is anything that hurts worse than to watch someone whom you love with all your heart slowly kill theirselves and fell absolutely useless.  because there is nothing that I can do but what I do that is every chance I have ask him to go to a meeting with me.  If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it.

In June of this year, I will have ten years clean.  I was addicted to crack cocaine and had lost my children.   I met a man in recovery who later relapsed.  I tried everything possible to keep him clean.  I couldn't do it.  If he's not willing, it won't work.  Love him the best you can and let him know you are there for him.  But  you can't keep him clean.  Just pray for him and keep yourself clean.  My husband took his own life two and a half years ago.  He was depressed and couldn't or wouldn't get off the drugs.  I know the pain you are experiencing even though your husband is still there.  I've been in your situation.  Just continue to go to the meetings and stay clean!  I'll be thinking of you.

February 20, 2007, 9:31 pm CST

Dear Carols47

Quote From: carols47

I am wondering how Joani is? She was doing so good. I thought that she had found her calling in life, helping other people beat their addictions. I too am addicted to pain killers, and I know how hard it is to get off them and stay off them. They were really lucky to have been on the DR. Phil show and to go to a rehab center. Not everybody gets a second chance like that. I will be praying for the twins and Joani.

Carols47

Hi Carol!

I too am wondering about Joani because of what I read in the description of the show where it said she's having trouble.

I'm writing to you because of you saying you are addicted to pain killers, and I'm just so curious about people like us and if you would be interested in talking I would like to hear from you very much.  I don't know if this is ok but my e-mail is: slufootsuz@aol.com.

I'm very concerned about this because I'm a chronic pain patient and from a previous Dr. Phil show and so many others I am wondering if anyone on pain meds for a prolonged time will eventually become addicted?  If so, is this a price we have to pay for being out of pain?  Or is society telling people if they are on pain killers they are addicted and we believe that because of some symptoms we have or are our bodies physically dependant on the medicine?

I would love to see someone as responsible and intelligent as Dr. Phil tackle that issue and I would love for him or someone in the media look at the positive side of pain medicine for chronic pain.  Some people do need it because there are no other alternatives, and we constantly search for one, but for some such as myself, pain medicine has allowed me to be a mom, wife and fairly productive member of society, and I'm not alone.

So Carol I'm wondering where you fit in these areas?  I would love to talk to you if you want a friend, to help you whatever you choose to do, I'm not judgemental, or anyone else who would like to not be alone because you are a chronic pain patient, and would like someone who won't make you feel guilty if you do take pain meds(NOT ADDICTED to them cuz you have no need just want the high), but along with me are open to and always looking for alternatives to these meds.

God Bless You Dr. Phil!

I understand so much more about why you are so good with people who are addicted to so many different things, since I've learned more about Robin's up-bringing, you know how addictions hurt and destroy "family members" and you carry the love and respect you have for your wife to your patients, audience and whoever you try to help, because you helped Robin to be a SURVIVOR-Congrats Robin.

Also, thank you two for all that you have done for Katrina victims such as myself(I'm a quiet Katrina victim).  I live in Ms. in fact I live 100 miles inland from Gulfport, and my county (Jones) was the worst hit county in Ms. above the coast!  Imagine that 100 miles inland, 9 deaths, I think the Governor said the 2nd worst hit county, but that doesnt' make sense, anyways, I apprec. all that you have done, I would ask one thing of you, and this is in no way to disrespect what you have done, please know that, and I'm not talking about our county because we are ok compared to the coast and New Orleans, but please, please DON"T FORGET MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST!!  They were destroyed and it makes me sad, sometimes mad that most of the focus is on New Orleans, and there should be a lot, but equal time for equal trauma!

February 21, 2007, 3:12 am CST

Quote From: summergirl1

Congrats for her staying clean and staying in the rehab. Select life! It is not easy it is hard, hard work. It is worth it. It only takes one time to overdose and you are dead. I am speaking from experience I have had 2 family members die of overdose. Sad that one of them still has not been able to beat it. (one of the twins) My heart hurts for her. My heart hurts for the family. Hard to talk to people about what is going on in their lives... as when you are that messed up you really have no concept. Hard for the mother to get others to relate to what she is going through. Hard for the family not just the addicts. Wish I could make them understand that the options are stop or lose your life. As a family member who has lost my family to this same addiction would love to have a one on one with the girls. I will pray for their mother first and I will also pray for them. I am no expert, just someone who cares. It is amazing how many everyday straight A students and athletes are involved with heroin that do not fit the regular symptoms. Some of these kids have told me they just did heroin first straight off the top...never any other drug. They tried it they liked it they were hooked immediately. We need to do more to support the families and we certainly do not know the answer to caring for these addicts. Relapse is huge. I am no longer on that roller coaster as my people are gone...they are dead. I onlky wish somehow I could touch others with  my story to help them and their families. Trying to find a way to speak out and share with others with the hopes of enlightening them or just listening to the families and letting them know they are not alone. Dr. Phil thank you for bringing these things up and out into the public. I know how lonely it is when you as a parent are going through this and you do not know what to do. God bless.
I have a brother who is a "recovering" heroin addict. He thinks he is recovered but he hasn't come anywhere close to it. The hardest thing, I think for a family member is knowning there potential in life, remembering them when they were clean. My mother is an enabler she doesn't know the term of tough love. She is very scared to loose her only son to this horrible disease. Addiction is very frustrating, I have been there for my brother by just letting him know that I love him and that I will support him in every way possible. But he does nothing to change his ways, he stills associates with the same kind of people. He does what he wants, and takes advantage of my parents. Its a families worst nightmare to see there loved ones go through this. I am scared that I'm going to loose my brother. The twins are lucky that they had this chance to go into rehab and start to change there lives. 10% is the drug 90% is the behavior associated with the drugs. Although my brother says he hasn't used in almost a year. He still has the behavior of a drug addict...stealing, lying etc. just like an addict. I have hope and faith. I have let go and let God. Anyone out there who thinks that there calling is to help those who are addicts, and wants to share your story with him,  Jimmy (my brother) could use every bit of inspiration from someone who is a recovered addict. He is a very kind and openminded person.Take care and God Bless you all...I'm keeping the twins in my thoughts and prayers

February 21, 2007, 4:06 am CST

Understand but don't understand

While I understand the biology of addiction to either drugs or alcohol, I don't understand the why of taking that first dose.  A person chooses to take that first drink or that first snort or smoke.  Why do they do that knowing the end results?  As a child of the 60's I certainly had my share of exposure and opportunities.  I was not among the in-crowd.  My parents impressed upon me the stupidity of doing drugs and alcohol.   It is not hard to say "no".  It is hard to say "yes" and then live with the results of being stupid.

I have a brother who was a heroin addict.  He has been clean for many years.  I know it was tough but he did it.  I don't think the laws are tough enough on dealers - and their lawyers!  I was once called for jury duty on a drug dealer case.  When asked if I would be tough on dealers, even if it was a family member, I said absolutely.  I wasn't picked - no suprises there!

I think it is important to teach kids about drugs and what they do to you.  But they do have to be responsible for their actions.   After all, they are the ones who get hooked. 

February 21, 2007, 4:55 am CST

Quote From: carols47

I am wondering how Joani is? She was doing so good. I thought that she had found her calling in life, helping other people beat their addictions. I too am addicted to pain killers, and I know how hard it is to get off them and stay off them. They were really lucky to have been on the DR. Phil show and to go to a rehab center. Not everybody gets a second chance like that. I will be praying for the twins and Joani.

Carols47

Don't be surprised if one twin doesn't make it, and if she doesn't the other twin could relaps very easy. I know this because I had two sisters who passed away, they were 10 months apart and they faught with each other but they couldn't live without each other, one died of a meth overdose in 2003 at age 47, and the other last Nov 2006, age 53, still waiting to see if she over dosed too.  I never lived close to them, I never been addicted to anything other then smokes, which I was trying to quit, I don't know if I even care anymore now.  I do suffer the death of my sisters big time, they could not or would not stop what they were doing, they have been into drugs since they were children. It didn't matter what I had to say,  so I stayed away from them, you can't change a person unless they want to be changed. As for pain killers, I hope I never ever have a need for them, it really scares me, this is why.  My whole family including my sisters were addicted to pain pills, nerve pills, every pill they could get their hands on.  I don't think Dr. Phil will be able to cure both girls, and if he does, we should kiss the ground he walks on.  We all know any drugs, weather pain drugs or street drugs, they are all killers one way or the other, and addiction is a tough habit to stop, even smoking.  I surely hope Dr. Phil can help the twin that relaps, I guess only time will tell.

February 21, 2007, 7:15 am CST

Why they cant quit

go to www.itstoughtogetoffdrugs.com and you can see a real life heroin detox, once you see a real cold turkey heroin detox you will understand how powerful this drug works on people.

February 21, 2007, 7:38 am CST

We Do Recover

Recovery is possible, but it is difficult. It is not complicated. We have a choice. The odds may be against us, but we gain rebuild our lives.

February 21, 2007, 8:18 am CST

Quote From: zackgarrett

Recovery is possible, but it is difficult. It is not complicated. We have a choice. The odds may be against us, but we gain rebuild our lives.
Exactly! We DO recover!  And the journey is recovery is absolutely amazing! I will pray for those girls and all of the sick and suffering addicts to find hope

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last