Message Boards

Topic : 02/21 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins Follow-up

Number of Replies: 125
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, February 15, 2007, 04:41:20 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Sarah and Tecoa check in with Dr. Phil after three months of drug rehabilitation. Sent to two separate rehab centers, the twin sisters had to learn to stand on their own two feet before they could move forward in sobriety. The sisters haven’t seen each other in months. How is Tecoa doing after giving birth and placing the baby for adoption? Which twin relapsed and used IV drugs after months of hard work? Then, after rescuing Sarah and Tecoa, Joani finds herself back to the life of addiction -- abusing pain killers, lying to doctors and even meeting one of the twins’ old drug dealers to purchase heroin! How did this happen? Plus, a viewer inspired by Sarah and Tecoa’s story reaches out for help. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More February 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 21, 2007, 8:24 am CST

I understand what you're saying

Quote From: kphilips10

While I understand the biology of addiction to either drugs or alcohol, I don't understand the why of taking that first dose.  A person chooses to take that first drink or that first snort or smoke.  Why do they do that knowing the end results?  As a child of the 60's I certainly had my share of exposure and opportunities.  I was not among the in-crowd.  My parents impressed upon me the stupidity of doing drugs and alcohol.   It is not hard to say "no".  It is hard to say "yes" and then live with the results of being stupid.

I have a brother who was a heroin addict.  He has been clean for many years.  I know it was tough but he did it.  I don't think the laws are tough enough on dealers - and their lawyers!  I was once called for jury duty on a drug dealer case.  When asked if I would be tough on dealers, even if it was a family member, I said absolutely.  I wasn't picked - no suprises there!

I think it is important to teach kids about drugs and what they do to you.  But they do have to be responsible for their actions.   After all, they are the ones who get hooked. 

We're all human and we make mistakes. I tried marijuana when I was a lot younger.(unlike Bill Clinton I DID inhale.) I've never been hooked on drugs. Now I would NEVER do illegal drugs. Back then it was a phase I was going through. I'm so thankful I didn't persue drugs further. I don't think the "why" is as important as getting help to get off the drugs. The worse thing about being on drugs for a year is being on drugs for a year and a day.(To kind of paraphrase DrPhil) Sarah and Tecoa, you girls hang in there! I am so pulling for the both of you. Please don't ever give up! You both have your whole lives ahead of you. Tecoa, IMO you did the right thing for your baby. I'm guessing it was very hard,but it was your gift to him.(or her) I'm sure you both have so many wonderful things in store for you in the future.I wish you many blessings.

February 21, 2007, 1:03 pm CST

02/21 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins Follow-up

Quote From: sandra1234

Don't be surprised if one twin doesn't make it, and if she doesn't the other twin could relaps very easy. I know this because I had two sisters who passed away, they were 10 months apart and they faught with each other but they couldn't live without each other, one died of a meth overdose in 2003 at age 47, and the other last Nov 2006, age 53, still waiting to see if she over dosed too.  I never lived close to them, I never been addicted to anything other then smokes, which I was trying to quit, I don't know if I even care anymore now.  I do suffer the death of my sisters big time, they could not or would not stop what they were doing, they have been into drugs since they were children. It didn't matter what I had to say,  so I stayed away from them, you can't change a person unless they want to be changed. As for pain killers, I hope I never ever have a need for them, it really scares me, this is why.  My whole family including my sisters were addicted to pain pills, nerve pills, every pill they could get their hands on.  I don't think Dr. Phil will be able to cure both girls, and if he does, we should kiss the ground he walks on.  We all know any drugs, weather pain drugs or street drugs, they are all killers one way or the other, and addiction is a tough habit to stop, even smoking.  I surely hope Dr. Phil can help the twin that relaps, I guess only time will tell.

I guess Dr. Phil did do it, but I won't start kissing the ground yet, Tecoa did relaps, and she still could.  Hopefully the sisters can maybe help each other beat this habit once and for all. They both looked really good and a lot healthier.  The photo Phil showed the girls of what they would look like if they didn't stop the drugs, he was telling the truth, I seen it in my sisters, they both looked like they were in their 80's or 90's, even my mother looked younger then they did before she passed away, and she was in her 70's.  Drugs not only kills, it destores your body, ages you so fast.  Believe it, if you are on drugs, try to beat it, because you leave so much pain behind if you pass away before your time.  Get help, then stick to it.

February 21, 2007, 1:13 pm CST

That is crazy situation I graduated high school with those girls known them since middle school

February 21, 2007, 1:21 pm CST

Am I my sisters keeper?

Since the last time they appeared, I had a feeling Tacoa was going to be the twin to relapse.  There's just something about her that screams  she's going to have a harder time staying off of drugs.  As messed up as Sara was, I feel like she's stronger.

I'm really scard for them to get out pf rehab, and have to be around each other. Will they be strong enough to keep each other straight, or even harder, strong enough to pull away from each other, if need be? I'm proud of both them, and hope they have learned and begain to know their self worth.  I will certainly be praying for the both of them.

February 21, 2007, 1:31 pm CST

Quote From: sandra1234

I guess Dr. Phil did do it, but I won't start kissing the ground yet, Tecoa did relaps, and she still could.  Hopefully the sisters can maybe help each other beat this habit once and for all. They both looked really good and a lot healthier.  The photo Phil showed the girls of what they would look like if they didn't stop the drugs, he was telling the truth, I seen it in my sisters, they both looked like they were in their 80's or 90's, even my mother looked younger then they did before she passed away, and she was in her 70's.  Drugs not only kills, it destores your body, ages you so fast.  Believe it, if you are on drugs, try to beat it, because you leave so much pain behind if you pass away before your time.  Get help, then stick to it.

I have to say that my sisters were mostly on Presciption drugs and alcohol, when they were younger they were on the same drugs as the twins. I was shocked to find out a sister passed away on Meth, I never thought she would of used it. But then I never lived in the same city, as for the other one, I do know her death was drug related, do to health reasons because of the drugs, her insides were gone too. I am still waiting to find out what got her, it takes months for the reports to come in, all drugs kill, nomatter where you get them.

February 21, 2007, 1:33 pm CST

Am I my sisters keeper?

I knew from the last time they appeared, Tacoa would be the twin to relapse.  Something about her screams she's not ready to be sober.  I think she would take her sister right back down with her just to have a partner .  Even though Sara was way out there, she still appeared to be the stronger of the two.  I wish the best for both of them, and hope that they remain clean.  If one fails, I hope that the other understands, she can not save her sister.  The hardest thing will be for her to pull away to save herself.  I'm almost a 100% sure it's going to have to be done at some point.  I've heard, you have to leave your old life including friends and family that associate with drugs behind.  It really sucks when it's u'r twin.

February 21, 2007, 1:42 pm CST

Yes, one day at a time

Wow is the only word I can use to describe the change in the twins.  I am really glad this show aired and how the whole story from the very beginning was shown. This is addiction. The public needs to know more about it. We cannot hide it anymore. The drug use in this country today is getting worse and worse and we cannot sweep it under the rug anymore and pretend it doesnt exist. It is a HUGE problem. There has to be more treatment options to get these people into a long term rehabilitation. The  insurance companies spend MORE money paying for relapse after relapse than they would if they would provide for a long term treatment program. Spin and dries for a few days DOES NOT work. It is not long enough.  What does the addict do after a few days in a detox? Goes home and uses yet again!  And then, back into detox they go again and again and again.  This has got to change. We need insurance carriers to cover long term .  When will they get it?

Nevertheless,  it  was  heart wrenching to see the twins  looking so great. I am so proud of them for their hard work. Yes, there was a relapse on the part of one of them but hopefully it was just a slip and she can pick up the pieces once again. These girls have a real chance to do something with their life now and I hope they go for it. And Bravo to Joni!!!!  She realized she was slipping back into the throws of addiction and did something about it.  I praise these women for their bravery, their strength , and for the lessons we have all learned. And Dr. Phil, as usual, you are truly one of a kind. I admire you for what you do.

February 21, 2007, 1:43 pm CST

I wasn't really too inspired by the Twins. Although, Congrats to them. They look much better than they did before... Alot more healthy.

But the first guy that was on the show today seemed  like he was trapped. You could tell he really wanted help. He didn't seem like  the kind of person that would do drugs. and I love how Dr. Phil told him that he is a role model to his sons. They are 14 and 16 I think he said, and those are very experimental ages... It kind of made me sad. That's the first time I've felt like their life was being consumed by drugs.

February 21, 2007, 1:52 pm CST

These drugs are very  hurtful, and can seriously damage not only your health, but your life...

I am glad someone is willing to give help to these victims of drug abuse... This is a serious issue and like that girl, she said she felt like a junkie and she couldn't do anything, they feel like they can't escape alone... All they need is some help and motivation... I.E. Family...

February 21, 2007, 1:55 pm CST

Joni (the one who helped the twins) does heroin

So the woman who helped the twins did heroin.  Said she bought two bags.  Maybe I misunderstood but it sounded like she was saying she called a friend to help her detox from doing two bags of heroin and she had become addicted within 48 hours.  Did I misunderstand?  Cause you're not going to become addicted to heroin within 48 hours or after doing two bags of dope.  I understood she had some pain and was taking some pain pills.   So then she jumps to going to the neighborhhod where she'd helped the twins escape and buying some dope there?  That's nuts......how do you make that jump?  It sounds weird like maybe we're not hearing the whole thing or maybe some alterior motives here.  I dunno.....it just seems very odd.  But I'm glad the twins are doing good and it sounds like all of them are on the right road.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last