Message Boards

Topic : 07/26 Adoptions Scams, Part 1

Number of Replies: 277
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, February 15, 2007, 04:43:02 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/22/07) Dr. Phil explores one of the cruelest cons in America: adoption scams. Couples hoping, wishing, praying to have their own child, become easy targets for heartless con artists who pose online as birthmothers. Meet three women who wanted nothing more than to hold a newborn child in their arms. Instead, they say they were misled, lied to and left devastated by a woman who claimed to be pregnant with a baby meant for them. Now Marie, Crissy and Jen might have a chance to confront Melissa, the woman who deceived them. With the help of private investigator Harold Copus, they track her down, and even Dr. Phil is shocked by what happens when they find her, including their close encounter with a man and his shotgun. When Melissa sits down with Dr. Phil to tell her side of the story, will her victims finally get their chance to confront her face to face? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 16, 2007, 9:08 am CST

Seriously?

Conning wanna be adoptive parents? I suppose I should wait and watch the victimizer’s side of the story but what could she possibly say that could justify conning three women that wanted to give a child a loving home? NOTHING.

There is no greater gift than Love and for these ladies to want to give it to a child that might otherwise grow up unloved is truly an unselfish act. My best guess is they have beautiful spirits For me to watch and hear that they had their hearts broken by a two bit con for whatever reason, is going to be heart wrenching.

Best wishes and thanks for being beautiful people goes out to these Marie, Crissy and Jen. The world needs more unselfish kindhearted acts of Love.

February 16, 2007, 9:56 am CST

02/22 Adoptions Scams, Part 1

Marie, Jen and Crissy are beautiful souls, inside and out. I hope the world sees what kind of a lowlife does this to another human being.

Girls, may your journey begin. Hold your heads high and proud. You all deserve so much more. I wish you (Marie, Jen and Crissy ) the best of luck in life, may your dreams succeed and never forget I love all 3 of you.

For Melissa - I hope more of your victims come forward very soon.

February 16, 2007, 11:04 am CST

I PRAY

I pray these 3 beautiful women find babies to love.  I happen to be a friend of Marie's and I was there for support during this scam.  It's the cruelest of cruelest cons.  The agony and despair Marie went through, STILL is going through is more than any person should have to bear.  I KNOW that this was a real scam and there was NO good reason behind it.  I even emailed a letter of recommendation on behalf of Marie and her husband.  This slimy person had the guts to email me a couple of times to tell me what great parents she thinks they'd be.  Right before being chosen by this Melissa Marie had loss several babies.  So she was living with the pain of losing her own and then this.  Several of our mutual friends were picking out baby names.  She'd made a beautiful nursery.  It's just so heartless.  I can't wait to see this Dr. Phil.  I'm dying to know how this all played out and what Melissa has to say for herself though I don't think there could be any reason to justify the pain she caused. 

February 16, 2007, 1:23 pm CST

I'm anxious to see the shows to see if she (Melissa) possibly can say why she did what she did!  I applaud Marie and Chrissy and Jen and the others that were behind them during this heart wrenching time and hope they can find some peace.

February 16, 2007, 10:37 pm CST

Not again!

This is so sad. I also think it happens a lot more often than any of us want to believe. I personally had a friend who went through a very similar experience, and I am definitely going to encourage her to watch this series.

Any person who would knowingly do this, and for fun and games? should be locked away forever. I don't know why this woman would do such a thing but I can't wait to see what happens to her. I hope they nail her to the wall.

God bless the victims, you deserve peace and justice.

Hallie

February 17, 2007, 1:37 pm CST

Been there

I am anxious to watch these shows about adoption scams.  It will be heart breaking to watch these three women experience the excruciating pain of having an empty crib waiting for the baby you dream of.  All I can say is I know how these three women might feel.  I personally experienced a similar situation where a woman stated through a facilitator that she wanted to place her baby girl with us.  We longed to hold that baby girl and take her home.  We prepared our nursery and waited for that special date when we were called to say to fy to the hospital - your daughter is here!  When that day arrived rather than being called to pick her up, we were called and told she chose not to place.  We lost close to $8000 on an adoption situation that panned out to be a way to use us to pay her bills.  We firmly believe that she never had any intention of placing the baby for adoption from the start! The empty feeling left behind was unexplainable.  I pray for these three women as well as all families that go through similar experiences and hope that confronting this woman will lead to some peace of mind and spirit to keep searching.  I am sure with the national attention these three families will likely find their angel baby! 

February 17, 2007, 4:15 pm CST

FEELINGS

I hope Dr. Phil get this woman who is playing with the hearts of these women who hope to have a baby. I understand these women's hearts I to wish I had a baby to hold and to raise but I can't ever have kids. I pray Dr. Phil gives this other woman a wakeup call that she will never forget. Playing on the hearts about babies is so WRONG! You go Dr. Phil give her HELL.

Angie

February 17, 2007, 4:39 pm CST

breast cancer con too

Hello, my name is Mike, and I've been conned by her too

I wish to thank Marie for putting a stop to Melissa.
If it weren't for her efforts, I'd be mourning a beautiful dead woman very soon, I'm quite sure.

Backing up a second...

Melissa posed as Bella in a couple of web-hangouts that I frequented.
She was the same 'personna' that Marie was all too familiar with.
Only at these sites, Bella was not scamming prospective adoptive parents, she was creating enormous empathy and love for herself by pretending she had breast cancer, complete with a double mastectomy and 8 rounds of chemotherapy.

She knew her stuff about cancer and various treatments.  She was not an authority or a good patient, she claimed she did not listen to the doctors.  She took the treatments as they came and kept her life as 'normal' as possible, in spite of her disease.
I always felt she was not facing her illness, and it's apparent now as to why it came across that way.

We talked as friends on the phone frequently, she was a pleasure to talk to and quite a revelation in the context that she was very gravely ill, yet her spirit remained bouyant and charming.
We were 'close' for perhaps 7 months.

The 'truth' was such a crushing thing, but as the smoke cleared in my mind, it was clear I was lied to for all those months.  Many others were fooled, though most people kept it at a distance, but there were several of us men who made it clear to her that we cared and were willing to help somehow.

I sent her alot of things, most of the stuff was inexpensive stuff, simple stuff to make her smile and feel good about herself.  Bandanas for her head, head scarfs, chocolate, pink cancer girl stuff, necklaces for her boys, books to read, pens and some stationary etc.  Panties too.  I wanted her to get the feeling that she was still a lovely lady, and still retained tons of feminine beauty depite the ravages of the disease.  

I also sent her 135$ to pay a phone bill once.  Hey, she was alone with 2 small kids in the middle of nowhere.  Me, I was very worried she would need emergency service sometime, and a lack of a telephone became a safety issue, so I paid it for her.

I read alot of posts from the most beautiful women I've ever read from and the message board at http://www.breastcancer.org
I became very familiar with that site, and the nature of breast cancer in general.
The strife and mindless sadness that breast cancer imposes on a female body can be devastating, and yes, it is grave enough to kill.  Young women in their prime are mutilated and their life is sucked out of them with the intensity of the treatments.  Families are consumed with supporting and helping, money is drained and there is an air of fear and loathing in people's hearts.
At the bc.org site, there is tremendous support on many levels, but something with this disease that is a total robbery of the feminine soft beauty and women who survive it struggle mightily with their sexuality and chances at a future with new and old relationships.
My compassion for Bella rested in that type of mindset.

I knew I could not see her, she was insecure and far away, so what we had was perfect for the time.

She said her breasts were to be reconstructed in Beverly Hills.
She said she made over $150,000 a year, but her bills were snowballing, the medical problems were keeping her out of work and her benefits were drying up rapidly.
She also told us she had a 3 year old daughter die from cancer.
She told us she has twin boys
She told us the father of those boys was fighting for freedom in Iraq, but they were not a couple anymore.
She told us she sends random care packages and letters to servicemen overseas all the time, as a basic good gesture.
She presented herself as a devout an honorable Christian.

What this boiled down to many times was simply that Breast Cancer was too serious, scary and intimidating to lie about, it was beyond me to imagine this was someone lying to me.

Amazingly it was.   She got 'stuff' from me, and a phone bill paid.

I was robbed of my good nature and my goodness as a person.
It was sucked out of me.
I was heartfelt and in a state of fear, worry and concern for her for 7 months, and she was lying all the while.  
She manipulated me so much, I am still confused and unsure on just how diabolical this person is.
She obviously was busy, she had very serious scams going concurrently with Marie, Jen and Crissy.

I will say this...  it is a relief to have 'someone' not have Breast Cancer anymore...

My heart thanks Marie, because at some point down the road, Melissa would have had to KILL OFF Bella, and let that 'character' of hers die.
To the deep and resonating sadness of all those that merely wanted to help her.

THAT - would have been aweful.  
Melissa sure was not Bella, so an ENDING would have been required.

Thank You for reading.

Mike

February 19, 2007, 7:27 am CST

Heartless

I hope that someone STOPS this con from hurting other innocent people in the future.  Stealing someones hopes & dreams is a heartless act and she should be put away somewhere to think about what she has done not only to these innocent women but to other people as well..like her family and friends.

Brok3n

February 19, 2007, 7:02 pm CST

First off I want to say that my heart goes out to these women, nobody deserves to be conned in such a heartless way.  As someone who put a child up for adoption, I couldn't imagine how anyone could be so blase about the process, giving your child to even the most loving of couples is one of the most difficult things a person could do, but to con that same loving couple shows such a lack of compassion and empathy its disgusting.

However, I am interested in what kind of warped mind could do something like that, and then have the nerve to face these women, though I noticd her face won't be shown, and I doubt any other info will be posted.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last