Message Boards

Topic : 07/27 Adoptions Scams, Part 2

Number of Replies: 473
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, February 15, 2007, 04:45:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/23) The story of Marie, Crissy and Jen continues. These three potential adoptive mothers were scammed by Melissa, a woman who claimed to be pregnant with a child meant for them. When the baby turned out to be a fraud, they say they and several others were left with nothing but a handful of lies and a nursery full of heartache. Melissa agreed to meet Crissy face to face, but can Dr. Phil convince her to give the same satisfaction to her other two accusers? Follow what happens when Melissa succumbs to an emotional meltdown. Plus, having been badly burned in their efforts to adopt, what’s next for Marie, Crissy and Jen? Can they ever build enough trust to enter the adoption arena again? Hear what Dr. Phil thinks they should do. Plus, find out what happened to another couple desperate to adopt after the Dr. Phil show gave their efforts a little boost. Join the discussion!

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 22, 2007, 7:58 am CST

HOW TO FIGHT BACK AND REPORT CONSUMER FRAUD

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is very committed to investigating telephone, mail and internet fraud.  The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers report, spot, stop, and avoid them.

Education is a key tool to prevent consumer injury.  The following link to the FTC website, you'll find publications with advice on avoiding scams and rip-offs, as well as tips on other consumer topics and reporting consumer fraud.

www.ftc.gov/ftc/consumer.htm 

To file a complaint or to get free information on consumer issues, visit www.ftc.gov or call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357); TTY: 1-866-653-4261.

The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, identity theft, and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad.

Hope it helps!

February 22, 2007, 8:08 am CST

BEWARE - INTERNET TROLLS

An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the Internet.  Trolls see Internet communications services as convenient venues for their bizarre game. For some reason, they don't "get" that they are hurting real people. To them, other Internet users are not quite human but are a kind of digital abstraction. As a result, they feel no sorrow whatsoever for the pain they inflict. Indeed, the greater the suffering they cause, the greater their 'achievement' (as they see it). At the moment, the relative anonymity of the net allows trolls to flourish.  

Trolls are utterly impervious to criticism (constructive or otherwise). You cannot negotiate with them; you cannot cause them to feel shame or compassion; you cannot reason with them. They cannot be made to feel remorse. For some reason, trolls do not feel they are bound by the rules of courtesy or social responsibility.  

Perhaps this sounds inconceivable. You may think, "Surely there is something I can write that will change them." But a true troll can not be changed by mere words.    

Hope it helps!

February 22, 2007, 8:48 am CST

02/23 Adoptions Scams, Part 2

Quote From: reticulate

This was a pretty bad scam to pull. She got people's hopes up, and more importantly took their money. But it's not all that terrible. She didn't promise these women anything they can't find again. It's not a kid, it's a baby. Babies don't have personalities, so one baby is as good as the next. She doesn't deserve to burn for it, just give 'em back their money. After that, who cares?

Do you have now or ever had a child??? Doesn't sound like it. Babies very definitely DO have personalities. I have 3 kids and 2 grandchildren and their individual personalities emerged very early.

"She didn't promise these women anything they can't find again."

Sure they'll just go on down to the local baby store and pick up a new one.

"After that, who cares."

I would think that the next person Melissa scams will care if she is stopped or not.  And if her going to prison keeps her from causing anyone this much heartache and pain, I'll be glad to close the door on her cell myself.

February 22, 2007, 11:22 pm CST

IF adoptions were ETHICAL

Pre-birth adoption arrangements shouldn't be legal. What if this woman really was pregnant, and decided to parent her baby? would she still be bad then? I agree that scamming these people is totally wrong, but this is a great opportunity to step out and see the bigger picture. Which is adoption in america is unethical and desperately needs to be reformed.

February 23, 2007, 12:02 am CST

Quote From: reticulate

maybe you're just gullible?

Calling someone gullible is blaming the victim.  We tend to be a trustworthy society, because most people are trustworthy.  It's hard for decent, intelligent people to fathom someone being so totally corrupt.  Melissa is a sociopath.  

You want to feel loved and needed, Melissa?..................Go visit a nursing home, adopt an animal.......................well, no don't.  You would no more know  how to  to be decent to man nor animal.  I hope you pay big time for what you did.  

February 23, 2007, 4:19 am CST

Maybe someone can help me out here.

Why are people so obsessed with the Caucasion BABY, what is wrong with babies of different races or mixed races ?  Special needs, well not everyone can handle that kind of challenge ( my hat's off to those of you who take on these special children and Babies ).  What's wrong with adopting an older child, is it because babies don't come with baggage ?

I take a bit of an issue with people saying things like there are a 1/2 million children who need homes, to me ( personal thing here) it sounds like we are putting our children in shelters like a dog.

I do hope these women do consider adoption again, they seem like loving women who could give a child what they need most, a soft place to land when they fall, I just hope they can do it with a bit more caution, and not let their hearts rule their heads when it comes to dealing with birth mothers, or peotential birth mothers.

February 23, 2007, 4:35 am CST

My thoughts on this

I have never understood the urgency and desperation women feel to have children.  Life doesn't end or a person is not a failure if they don't have children.  Channel that energy into something positive, such as being a foster parent or volunteering at a children's hospital.  If a woman can't conceive or carry to term, mother nature has a reason for that.  I don't think all the money and time spent on in vitro and artificial insemination is a good way to spend it.  Why set yourself up for hurt?  Do good with your time and money!

I do think this woman should go to jail - not for the hurt she caused but for stealing money and fraud.  If I was looking to adopt a child, I would certainly spend the money to do back ground checks on the person, agency, lawyer, whatever.  After all, this would be a drop in the bucket when you add it in to the overall cost.  And where are the husbands??

February 23, 2007, 5:41 am CST

A big disgrace

I believe babies have a personality!! Just my thoughts and feelings!! I am in-titled,you don't have to agree. But I also feel people that are out there with real dreams and then someone has to come along and stomp all over them,shouldn't be allowed to be out on there own.They may not be  physically dangerous but emotional is just as bad if not worse.i have had many of my dreams stomped all over and been taken advantage of and I also been physically and mentally abused so I know the difference.It isn't good for people to dream and become so desperate and vulnerable to others to get into situations like these.I would carry babies for these woman so they wouldn't have to go through this any more.I know what its like to be so desperate to want a baby you would go the extra mile and take risks like these ladies did,so I would do what ever I could to help them out in there times of need.Because I now have one of my own going on 10yrs old and i wouldn't give him up for the world.I truely wish the ladies lots of luck and hope they find what they are looking for in there lives.

February 23, 2007, 6:49 am CST

THAT'S IT???

I am so tired of people "getting away" with terrible things!!!  Is there no real JUSTICE in this world, at all???

This woman's son should be with someone else to learn what is right in the world.  And this woman belongs in PRISON!

February 23, 2007, 6:54 am CST

Of course babies have a personality!

Quote From: joyingram

I believe babies have a personality!! Just my thoughts and feelings!! I am in-titled,you don't have to agree. But I also feel people that are out there with real dreams and then someone has to come along and stomp all over them,shouldn't be allowed to be out on there own.They may not be  physically dangerous but emotional is just as bad if not worse.i have had many of my dreams stomped all over and been taken advantage of and I also been physically and mentally abused so I know the difference.It isn't good for people to dream and become so desperate and vulnerable to others to get into situations like these.I would carry babies for these woman so they wouldn't have to go through this any more.I know what its like to be so desperate to want a baby you would go the extra mile and take risks like these ladies did,so I would do what ever I could to help them out in there times of need.Because I now have one of my own going on 10yrs old and i wouldn't give him up for the world.I truely wish the ladies lots of luck and hope they find what they are looking for in there lives.

You're so right,babies do have a personality. I so hope that these ladies eventually end up adopting. It's scary to think that for every one woman like Melissa there's probably 9 more out there in cyberspace.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last