Message Boards

Topic : 08/06 The Dr. Phil House: Man Camp, Part 5

Number of Replies: 185
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 23, 2007, 02:08:43 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 06/26/07) Three couples trying to save their marriages continue their work at The Dr. Phil House. Throughout their relationship, Scott and Tara have had violent fights that have included slashed tires and police visits. Dr. Phil sits down with Scott to discuss how he can control his anger problem and set up personal boundaries that will put an end to the fighting with his wife. Afterward, Scott feels confident enough to vow to Tara that he is never going to yell at her again. Will he stick by his declaration? Then, Dr. Phil puts the group through some intense exercises, so they can learn their partner’s point of view. As each person stands before the group and explains what he or she really wants, raw emotions pour out, and the couples find themselves growing closer with compassionate support. Plus, Dr. Phil teaches them his rules for fighting (link to /articles/article/20 ) and his rules for children. After seeing a videotape of all their kids, the message is loud and clear. Will the couples apply what they’ve learned and change their families forever? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 20, 2007, 10:12 pm CDT

exotic dancer

Quote From: housewife52

I DO think it was the nature of her work that DrP objected to. From watching the show and DrP's remarks about stripping and the clientele of strips joints, I don't think he holds the art of stripping in high esteem. An aside, Amanda says she was not a stripper(clothes off) that she was an exotic danceer.
Well that makes it even harder for me to understand Dr. Phil's position.  she wasn't a stripper, she was an exotic dancer.  Perhaps it was more to do with the places she worked in and the clientele she performed for?  Perhaps it wasn't doing her self respect any good?  That I could understand.

August 20, 2007, 10:18 pm CDT

My guess

Quote From: lidybeff

One of the episodes of man camp aired in Australia today. In it the women turn on the stripper lady. I was  alarmed at the way thewomen behaved like chickens. Being one I can say that. When one was down the others went for the eyes. It's very sad. I think they are feeling threatened  and are lashing out to protect themselves.

One thing about Dr. Phil really grates on me every time I hear it. It's when he tells men that they are the leader of their family. My God, my Great Grandmother battled as a suffragette (spelling?), my Mother battered her head against a glass ceiling in business.  Perhaps it's a cultural thing, maybe in America is seen as ok to have that attitude, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that Australian women are offended by that, Otherwise Phil's ok, it's just that one sexist thing. It is sexist, because both parents are the leaders jointly.

as to why Dr. Phil is always encouraging men to step up and be a leader in the family, is that because of feminist extremism, men today do not know their role, and are confused.  I agree that men and women should lead the family equally, it's just that many men need a kick up the jacksee - or permission, if you will - to stand up and be a man, be responsible, take responsibility.  Seeing Phil and his wife together, I don't see him being dominant over her, for example.  They really do seem to work as a team.

August 20, 2007, 10:19 pm CDT

My guess

Quote From: lidybeff

One of the episodes of man camp aired in Australia today. In it the women turn on the stripper lady. I was  alarmed at the way thewomen behaved like chickens. Being one I can say that. When one was down the others went for the eyes. It's very sad. I think they are feeling threatened  and are lashing out to protect themselves.

One thing about Dr. Phil really grates on me every time I hear it. It's when he tells men that they are the leader of their family. My God, my Great Grandmother battled as a suffragette (spelling?), my Mother battered her head against a glass ceiling in business.  Perhaps it's a cultural thing, maybe in America is seen as ok to have that attitude, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that Australian women are offended by that, Otherwise Phil's ok, it's just that one sexist thing. It is sexist, because both parents are the leaders jointly.

PS the little I did see of the other women flying at Amanda and judging her disgusted me.  Maybe they're jealous of her beauty.  Women can be such bitches.  They could be better than that.

August 23, 2007, 10:25 am CDT

This is my take on it.

Quote From: softcore

Well that makes it even harder for me to understand Dr. Phil's position.  she wasn't a stripper, she was an exotic dancer.  Perhaps it was more to do with the places she worked in and the clientele she performed for?  Perhaps it wasn't doing her self respect any good?  That I could understand.
DrP didn't come right out and say this. This is what I got out of his comments.(And right now, I can't exactly remember what it was that he said) Amanda worked in a strip club and danced provocatively in front of men. Men who came there to watch women dance provocatively with not a lot of clothes on. Men who were looking at Amanda's body(I would assume they weren't looking at her face.) I think DrP said something about the atmosphere of the place and the type of clientele who frequent these places not being good for a marriage. In fact, I don't think
DrP said anything positive about women working in strip clubs or the men who come there to watch. That is what I got out of it.

August 6, 2008, 8:47 pm CDT

08/06 The Dr. Phil House: Man Camp, Part 5

Quote From: kingbooka

It makes me wonder sometimes & I hope it's not just me... that these people in the Dr.Phil house are a bunch of wannabe actors really puttin it to the show with the drama... & the story lines as well... who writes the storylines anyway??.. they are so good at doing it... & the whole thing is so believeable... and it feels like it's too good to be true tv... like I said.. I hope its not just me.....

sadly these are real folks with real problems who have the courage to appear on national tv to receive a little bit of help.  If it weren't for my children I would make a video myself for the Dr. Phil house. lol  For sure if I were to type out a brief story here of what is happening in my birth family you would think I was making it up though I will say Dr. Phil, Steve Wilko, Biggest Loser, and Intervention could all do a segement on them.  Many many years ago I heard the saying "take what you want and leave the rest" and with each show I watch I do that.  I like to say a big thanks to all who do appear on the show, your sharing of your stories do make a difference out there in t.v. land.  prays for all of us

p.s.  i really could do without the wedding's gone wrong shows :)

First | Prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | Next Page | Last Page