Message Boards

Topic : 08/06 The Dr. Phil House: Man Camp, Part 5

Number of Replies: 185
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 23, 2007, 02:08:43 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 06/26/07) Three couples trying to save their marriages continue their work at The Dr. Phil House. Throughout their relationship, Scott and Tara have had violent fights that have included slashed tires and police visits. Dr. Phil sits down with Scott to discuss how he can control his anger problem and set up personal boundaries that will put an end to the fighting with his wife. Afterward, Scott feels confident enough to vow to Tara that he is never going to yell at her again. Will he stick by his declaration? Then, Dr. Phil puts the group through some intense exercises, so they can learn their partner’s point of view. As each person stands before the group and explains what he or she really wants, raw emotions pour out, and the couples find themselves growing closer with compassionate support. Plus, Dr. Phil teaches them his rules for fighting (link to /articles/article/20 ) and his rules for children. After seeing a videotape of all their kids, the message is loud and clear. Will the couples apply what they’ve learned and change their families forever? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 26, 2007, 4:22 pm CST

02/26 The Dr. Phil House: Man Camp, Part 5

Wow! What a wake up. All three familiys are an example of my life. I have learned alot from this show and wish all the best of luck to all couples with the same problems. They are more prevalent than most would think. I just hope I can use your advice to rectify our issues. Your a godsent Dr.Phil. Keep up the awsome work. You have found new ways to work out issues for alot of familys. Please don't leave us.

February 26, 2007, 4:29 pm CST

You go girl!!!!

Quote From: hertha26

My husband and I celebrated our 25th Anniversary in June 2006.  We are happily married but we went through some tough years.  We didn't fight either but that was because my husband refused to fight.  I was the one who did the yelling and name-calling.  He never did.  Nor would he discuss anything that meant confrontation.  Over time we learned how to disagree and how to do it without either cutting the other one down or ignoring the other one.  My heart goes out to these folks and their problems.  They are hurting or they wouldn't be reacting this way.  If they can get to the root problem of that cause of their anger, etc., I know there is hope for them.  At least one in the couple has to be willing to start changing regardless of what the other one says or does.  It takes a lot of discipline and courage.  But I can tell you, when the healing takes place it seems like being right just isn't so important anymore.  Thanks to God and a lot of hard work on the part of us both, we have a happy, healthy marriage.  My husband is my best friend and guess what??  He almost yells at me now!  :)  But that's because I've shut up and have made it safe for him to say what he needs to say.  Dr. Phil had a large part in my being willing to change.  Thanks, Dr. Phil, for your voice that is out there being loud and clear and calling things as you see them. 

There IS hope for y'all.

Hertha

I totally agree with you.  Change is possible if both parties are really committed!

When I read that some couples never had a fight or a disagrement...  I honestly find it weird!  I do not know any couples that agree on everything!  And the ones that I know who pretends they do, well...  you can tell that they are simply unhappy...  That they learned to tolerate each other and they live as roommates instead of husband and wife!

It's OK to disagree with your spouse as long as it is done in an healthy way.  And I do believe that a couple without disagreements is simply lying to itself!

February 26, 2007, 4:38 pm CST

I'll light up your lanterns on this one!

Quote From: rosie52

In my circle of friends there is a woman in an abusive relationship. I think the world of her and I wish she would leave him. (12 years) I wonder sometimes if "targets" perhaps don't want to be in the relationship,but on the other hand they don't want to be anywhere else. Or they don't know how to be any where else. It's really sad.

Once you are in an abusive relationship, the first kind of abuse that will take place is the psychological one.  Your spouse will always make some comments on what you do, how you do it, how he would have done it another way, etc.

It is very tricky because you don't see it coming; at first, those comments are once a month, then, once a week and then, everyday and soon enough, about everything you do.  Once you're being controlled mentally, you do not think you are worth more than that.  That if you get out of the relationship, you won't be good enough to get a good job, to survive financially, to take care of your children...

It is the same control used by sects, religious groups (not religion but religious groups...).  Unless the victim gets out by herself, you cannot take her out of this relationship.  It's easy to say "get out!" but it is much more difficult to actually do it!  Unfortunately, I guess you have to go through it to completely understand...

Hope this helps!

February 26, 2007, 4:54 pm CST

Man Camp!

Quote From: snappyone

Wow, this topic from todays show seems to really have everyone a buzz.

I am soooo glad I didnt miss todays show, looking forward to next week, I am not yet bored with Man Camp.....Bring it on Dr. Phil  :)

Great conversation Message Board

Keep it up :)

I agree! I just wish my husband had been able to watch the show with me. Dr. Phil is amazing with these couples and I give them a lot of credit for putting it all out there to the world. It shows that they are vested in their marriage on some level and just want to learn how to make it all work.

February 26, 2007, 5:10 pm CST

Man Camp?

What I don't understand is why it's called Man Camp.  It should just be called Marriage Camp.  It's not just about the men's issues in these relationships - it's about the couples' issues.  And when are they going to have gay/lesbian couples with these problems on the show?  Why not show that these couples have issues too?

February 26, 2007, 5:31 pm CST

Us three couples

For all of the people saying that Cheri and I are butting in Nick and Amanda's relationship.....Do you not see that Dr. Phil put three couples in the house to get in eachothers heads and try and figure stuff out? That was all part of the process so if you have such a problem with it take it up with dr.phil Amanda put her 2 cents in when she wanted to so we all got to give our opinions. This whole thing between Cheri Me and Amanda has nothing to do with her job it has to do with the fact that she seemed to be bragging about it and then turning around and crying. By the end of the show i noticed that Amanda was a good person deep down but it is hard to believe someone who i had only known for 7 days and told me one thing and the camera another. I wish her and nick the best. I do realize that i have enough problems of my own but trust me we were all in the house to help eachother, and WE did Amanda help me open my eyes to alot of things as well as nick did. ******* The conversation with Nick was not us trying to get him and Amanda in a fight he had alot on his chest that he was trying to get off and he was asking us how he could deal with it you might not have seen it all so put that into perspective. Thank you for your opinions and i hope i help everyone is some way or another.

February 26, 2007, 5:37 pm CST

Quote From: darkangel1980

I could not believe the gall of Sherry and Tara.  These two are the most judgmental people I've ever seen.  Their opinion of Amanda because of her job is snobby.  That conversation they had with Amanda's husband was over the line.  Amanda's marriage is none of their business.  I feel they were influencing a fight between Nick and Amanda.  These two need keep their comments to themselves.  They can't fix their own marriage and they're telling Nick what to do?  My advice to Sherry: Get your nose out of the air. You are not any better then anyone else.  My advice to Tara:  Keep your mouth shut.  You are no one to judge that girl. 

Yeah, didn't you love watching them try to turn Nic against his wife?  Like they don't have enough of their own issues to work on.  Truthfully, all I get from these two is jealousy towards Amanda.  At least that's how I see it.

I'm only 15 minutes into this episode, and I just don't care to watch anymore.  I went from sympathizing with Cheri and Amanda to finding them obnoxious and insufferable. 

February 26, 2007, 5:41 pm CST

Cherie! Cherie!

Cherie, why do you think you are only a victim! Even today all you got out of our children's video was that you were mistreated by your husband. TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY!!!!!!! Although your husband is far from perfect, at least he tried to admit his faults and honestly want to change. All you want is everyone else to change to suit your moods. I thought it was was none of your business to tell that other husband at the pool how you thought his stripper wife was not remorseful for the affair. GET YOUR OWN LIFE STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU START ON SOMEONE ELSE'S. You have some nerve!!!!!!!!  

February 26, 2007, 5:46 pm CST

Quote From: philfan66

Yeah, didn't you love watching them try to turn Nic against his wife?  Like they don't have enough of their own issues to work on.  Truthfully, all I get from these two is jealousy towards Amanda.  At least that's how I see it.

I'm only 15 minutes into this episode, and I just don't care to watch anymore.  I went from sympathizing with Cheri and Amanda to finding them obnoxious and insufferable. 

Oops.  I meant Cheri and Tara.  My bad.

February 26, 2007, 6:01 pm CST

Can't understand or believe it

How can these women, after being emotionally and physically abused, believe that their husbands actually care about them, let alone love them. Why would they want to even try to stay.

I was in an emotionally and physically abusive marriage for 14 years.  My light bulb finally went on when I was having trouble with our teenage daughter. I wanted to do counseling. My husbands response was "Do whatever you want".  The counselor wanted him to attend also. He wasn't interested. Then I realized "Maybe I don't deserve anything from him but our daughter definitely does. Oh, wait, maybe it's not me!"  So I decided to end the marriage.   I discussed with the therapist, "If I have to ask him to take the garbage out, and he grudgingly does it, well nobody likes to do that. But if I have to ask for attention,  emotional intimacy, how real is that? It's not." The counselor agreed. I ended the marriage.  Then he was willing to do counseling. Why then? Because he was afraid of being alone. He didn't care about me. 

So, why are these people doing this?  For the kids?  Because they are afraid of being alone ?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last