Message Boards

Topic : 07/25 "What Would You Do?"

Number of Replies: 380
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 23, 2007, 02:10:16 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/27/07) How ethical are you? Many people believe they would do the right thing when confronted with a dilemma, but what happens when the line between right and wrong becomes fuzzy? Mylissa says that after a bitter breakup the right thing to do is get revenge, so she created a Web site where women learn tips and ideas on how to get back at an ex. But did this Web site really help her get over her ex? You won't believe what she says! Then, Heather says her best friend, Roza, is sneaky and will do anything to save a buck. Roza has even asked Heather to participate in shady activities. Roza says it's a game, and it's fun. What does Dr. Phil think? And, the Dr. Phil show hits the streets of New York City to conduct its own social experiments and find out how honest people really are. Hidden cameras catch unaware people in action. Will they return extra money to the cashier? Stop a shoplifter in action? Help a woman who's being yelled at by her boyfriend? Or tell a woman her thong underwear is sticking out of her pants? What would you do?

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 24, 2007, 10:09 pm CST

too honest

Quote From: mom2one2

Someone once told me that I was "too honest", to which I could only reply that those two words do not even belong in the same sentence!
I believe that honesty has to be tempered with tact--if someone says to me--"do I look fat"--the answer is "No"--=if soneone asks me if I believe only some are vile--I will say no--every answer has to be as honest as possible without hurt

February 24, 2007, 10:16 pm CST

what would you do

Quote From: tfjellstad

I hear all of you say that you would give the cashier her money back, so would I and have several times, but would you stop a robber? or interupt a fighting couple?  I have 4 small children and would not want to put them into harms way since they first and foremost my responsibilty.  What if that person retaliates?  Does that mean that I have poor morals?

I would hope I would fight--but am not sure--when I was mugged several years ago--I yelled, I screamed, and (I love men) many men came to help--but now that I am older and a bit more fragile--I would probably use the cell to call 911--as to the money question-have so many times corrected

February 24, 2007, 10:20 pm CST

revenge

Frankly I think life is far too short to spend it on "who wins"--revenge, jealousy, and envy are only words that convey--"I want what you have"--how useless

February 25, 2007, 12:04 am CST

I would'nt go that far

Well I would not have gone that far but I did to something kind of bad. I had met a guy over the Internet and we really hit it off. Well to make a long story short we ended up meeting. He came to see me in Norwalk Ca from Mississippi. After that we talked for about a year and we were starting to make plans for marriage well I found out that he was married. So I admit it I got even. He had told me that he had a warrant for his arrest for hitting a neighbor who had put his hands on one of his sons. So after finding out he was married I called his local Police Station and asked about the warrant .  They of course said they could not give me details so I told the Officer what had happened. He told me that the warrant was for domestic violence against his wife. I asked why he wasn't picked up for the warrant and was told he moved and they had no new address for him. So I said would you like his address? Officer said: yes do you have it ? I said: I sure do and then I gave it to him. I then said : would you like his Phone number ? Officer said: yes we would  So being the good citizen I was I gave it to him. About two weeks latter I received a call from the Jerk and he said how sorry he was about not calling me but he was woken up at 2 am one morning and was arrested. He had to sell his computer to get out . I acted so shocked and told him I was sorry. Who could have done such a mean thing to him. He said I think it was my wife.  Guess I got the last laugh . LOL LOL LOL LOL  ..  Signed Naughty  Judi

February 25, 2007, 12:36 am CST

like attracts like

In my experience of life so far,  like attracts like.  When you give out negative energy, guess what comes back? When you give out positive energy, guess what comes back? There is a great new book on the shelves now called "The Secret" by a sweet hearted woman named Rhonda Byrne She says it better than I ever could. Change your mind you change everything,

February 25, 2007, 7:01 am CST

Should you go to the police for everything?

Quote From: tfjellstad

I hear all of you say that you would give the cashier her money back, so would I and have several times, but would you stop a robber? or interupt a fighting couple?  I have 4 small children and would not want to put them into harms way since they first and foremost my responsibilty.  What if that person retaliates?  Does that mean that I have poor morals?

I have told clerks in the past they have given me to much change back. Two weeks ago found a purse in a frends driveway when I went to pick him up. Called 411 to get phone number got no answer and machine was full. Later found a police officer and turned it end hoped the person had not had to go thur the pain of getting new id and credit cards plus new keys. Rented a motel room a year ago durning mothers furneral. in trying to change the kleenex box in the bathroom found a eyeglass case hid on top of the container. Contained a pipe  and some dope called police and turned it in. but I have seen a freind smoke a joint and never turned him in what would you do if you see a freind smoking dope. I just leave should I call the police? 

February 25, 2007, 7:27 am CST

02/27 "What Would You Do?"

Quote From: thechosenone

Ceildh1,

To start I want to state I would and always have returned lost  wallets, I would and have helped people in distress, I don't steal from shops but I would not dob in or prevent someone else from shoplifting - Australians don't dob and they mind their own business, our values are shaped partly by our cultural heritage too. But as a psychology student I cannot agree with you that revenge on an ex how ever counter productive it is to moving on, is a sign of mental illness. Normal ordinary people get angry and take revenge on people every day it is not a sign of mental illness or at least it is not listed as a symptom in the DSM-IV as such. I think we need to have a bit of compassion for those who have been driven to the point of revenge because of the reprehensible behaviour of others rather than label them as mentally ill. I do agree that revenge is a waste of time and I do agree that a person cannot move on until they put the offending person behind them, but I understand that some people may see revenge as closure so that they can move on and as long as this is done lawfully and serves to put the offender on notice where is the harm?

TheChosenOne 

Hmm, I suppose I was referring to the ones that DO end up hurting themselves and others.  True ordinary people DO get angry, and we think about revenge, hell some myself included have even gone to the point of plotting, but never executing our revenge, its the ones who cross the line that are scary, and there has to be something going on on example driving across the States in a diaper to kill your ex ? Sorry but that's not a sign of stability, or the whole , "If I can't have him/her, no one can ", not the picture of mental health, so its the extremes I'm referring to I suppose.

Can revenge bring closure, maybe for some, but I do think that though the offender may not get hurt and be put on notice, there are other problems that can occur from those, I think once you start breaking into their homes, stalking them destroying private property, its more than just a bad breakup, maybe he/she wasn't too stable to begin with.  Just my humble opinion.

I have to ask though, does "DOB" mean the same as stealing ?

February 25, 2007, 7:38 am CST

Quote From: jeichor1

I believe that honesty has to be tempered with tact--if someone says to me--"do I look fat"--the answer is "No"--=if soneone asks me if I believe only some are vile--I will say no--every answer has to be as honest as possible without hurt

You know I have the same problem, too honest, but I have learned to get my point across without being nasty, my friends love taking my shopping, because there is nothing worse than knowing my friend is wearing a totally awful outfit, and I appreciate them doing the same for me.

"Do you like this outfit ?" can be met with , "well I think the color is wrong for you " or "the cut isn't right for your body type. "  But I have been also told them if something looks trashy, or too conservative for them "Do I look fat, " well I keep my mouth shut, I haven't figured out a good answer for that one, either way, but I will NOT out and out lie, why, because it dosen't work for me, and besides people see right through it anyway, so why bother.

I have told my friends, "if you don't want my honest opinion, don't ask. "

February 25, 2007, 7:49 am CST

Quote From: barbells

I always get concerned when I here people telling stories of revenge, dishonesty, and purposelly trying to hurt others.  The Law of Attraction Is a very important and real concept:  "what one puts out there, is what one attracts".  Also, when one does something purposelly to hurt another is comes back three fold. 

If folks just paid attention and energy to their own happiness and goodness, this world could be an even better place than it is.

Peace, Love, Joy, and Harmony

Yep, I totally agree with that. =)

February 25, 2007, 8:22 am CST

First of all Dishonesty is what has ruined our Country and our children. I know of people who demand honesty out of their children but then turn around and tell them not to tell Daddy or Mommy which ever the case may be. We need to live by example. As for honesty in our home  my husband and I were grocery shopping one day and we got out to our vehicle and realized that the cashier hadn't charged us for a case of water which was $3.99, so my husband took the water back into the store and paid for it. I don't like to be cheated so I don't want to cheat anyone else. Now as for the break-up, I have been stalked by an ex and I tell you it is very scary. I say that when it is over, get over it and move on. The only thing that you are doing is making yourself look desperate. We as the "Free Country"  are doing a poor job in relationships. Our divorce rate is so disturbing to me that it is depressing. So if you are in a relationship and not married yet, then you break up please just move on because if you are having these kinds of problems before marriage there is a good chance that the marriage wouldn't work. My husband and I have been married for 18 years, and we love each other as much today or more than we did the day we married. When we have a disagreement we talk about it and we do not yell or say things to each other that you cannot take back. We respect each others opinions and ideas. We have enough drama in our lives to break up any family and we just grew stronger with every obstacle , including when we lost a child to suicide. We depend on each other for our strength, love and understanding. So just try to understand where you mate of ex is coming from and put yourself in their shoes. How would you like for someone to do to you what you are doing to them.

Take Care, L.C.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last