Message Boards

Topic : 07/25 "What Would You Do?"

Number of Replies: 380
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 23, 2007, 02:10:16 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/27/07) How ethical are you? Many people believe they would do the right thing when confronted with a dilemma, but what happens when the line between right and wrong becomes fuzzy? Mylissa says that after a bitter breakup the right thing to do is get revenge, so she created a Web site where women learn tips and ideas on how to get back at an ex. But did this Web site really help her get over her ex? You won't believe what she says! Then, Heather says her best friend, Roza, is sneaky and will do anything to save a buck. Roza has even asked Heather to participate in shady activities. Roza says it's a game, and it's fun. What does Dr. Phil think? And, the Dr. Phil show hits the streets of New York City to conduct its own social experiments and find out how honest people really are. Hidden cameras catch unaware people in action. Will they return extra money to the cashier? Stop a shoplifter in action? Help a woman who's being yelled at by her boyfriend? Or tell a woman her thong underwear is sticking out of her pants? What would you do?

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 26, 2007, 11:54 am CST

02/27 "What Would You Do?"

Quote From: tfjellstad

I hear all of you say that you would give the cashier her money back, so would I and have several times, but would you stop a robber? or interupt a fighting couple?  I have 4 small children and would not want to put them into harms way since they first and foremost my responsibilty.  What if that person retaliates?  Does that mean that I have poor morals?

I have reported shoplifters many times and i've also stepped in when i've seen someone getting beat on...a couple of time I was with friends and once in particular we ended up taking a girl to the E.R. It may be kinda stupid but i can't stand to see someone being beat down and not step in.

February 26, 2007, 1:03 pm CST

To Tell or Not To Tell That's the Question

My daughter moved in with her boyfriend accross the street from us recently. Their children were removed from them because of sexual abuse and the boyfriend has been accused of doing it.

He has not been proscuted for lack of evidence.  I know a person is presumed innocent intil proven guilty so here is the do or don't of it.  I know the situation do I tell the manager of our duplexes of the high possibility him being a child molester being as there are so many children on our block or do I say nothing because nothing has yet been proven other than the children one 3 the other 11 has said he did it and the 3year old had physycal evidence of it. He has not been charged.  The case is still open.

February 26, 2007, 1:33 pm CST

Quote From: bactphd95

Pennylady, I concur heartily with your 1st 2 sentences. As one old friend of mine often said, "The Good Old days weren't really that good."

However, I'm less convinced about the 3rd. What has happened in the last, I'd say, quarter-century or so is the rise of "Me, Me, Me" and the continued chase of the Almighty Dollar. In some quarters, we're almost back to the "(Not So) Good Older Days" when the robber barons held sway...Can you say "Enron?"

Enron was about money...big deal.

Slavery was about money and human life and the dignity of it.  I'll take 1000 Enron's over 1 day of human slavery.  Can you think of something more "me me me" than trying to own a human life so you can make a buck off it?

February 26, 2007, 1:34 pm CST

Quote From: nhughh

I don't know where this one came from or what they are smoken!   We had a guy in the White House that could not keep his pants zipped up and got a 7 mil advance on a book deal.   Really looks like the way to live to our youth!
You are saying that a president participating in a consensual sexual act is WORSE than human slavery?

Seriously...are we in a second Victorian period?

February 26, 2007, 1:58 pm CST

Don't Say Too Much

Quote From: eileenbett

My daughter moved in with her boyfriend accross the street from us recently. Their children were removed from them because of sexual abuse and the boyfriend has been accused of doing it.

He has not been proscuted for lack of evidence.  I know a person is presumed innocent intil proven guilty so here is the do or don't of it.  I know the situation do I tell the manager of our duplexes of the high possibility him being a child molester being as there are so many children on our block or do I say nothing because nothing has yet been proven other than the children one 3 the other 11 has said he did it and the 3year old had physycal evidence of it. He has not been charged.  The case is still open.

Your daughter's BF is "under investigation" by law enforcement for sex crimes; perhaps you could inform the mgr. of that much (but nothing more!), being as you do have inside information (and a vested interest) concerning this case. It might also provide a logical explanantion to the mgr. for the presence of cops, social workers, et al. at their place. However, keep your opinions of guilt or innocence out of any discussion; you will discredit your story and come off as a vicious gossip!

I am curious, though, what would you expect the mgr. of the duplexes to do, pray tell? Absent even an indictment (let alone a conviction), depending on the reporting laws in your state, as long as law enforcement knows where the accused is, and the man is not a flight risk, there is probably very little that the mgr. can do, except maybe keep his/her eyes and ears open for inappropriate behavior towards other tenants. I would think it would be up to law enforcement  (not a property manager) to determine, in the event of a conviction, where the sex offender could or could not live.

February 26, 2007, 2:33 pm CST

I think its all crazy!!

February 26, 2007, 2:38 pm CST

The Good Old Days and Human Dignity?

Quote From: penny_lady

Enron was about money...big deal.

Slavery was about money and human life and the dignity of it.  I'll take 1000 Enron's over 1 day of human slavery.  Can you think of something more "me me me" than trying to own a human life so you can make a buck off it?

To answer your last question 1st, no, absolutely NO; but slavery was supposedly made illegal in 1865; the poster to whom you were responding was blasting the 1960s. For too many people, the oft-romanticized "good old days" were circa 1955, somewhere after WWII but before civil rights, feminism and hippies took over the landscape...you know, sex, drugs, and rock & roll...

...and sexism, racism, etc. are alive and well, even in the 21st century...we're more subtle about it now (it's just not legislated). In fact, if you believe one article (I believe it was an AP wire story yesterday; I read it in my local paper), intolerance in its many forms is growing, rather than receding. Some safety nets for the least advantaged are being dismantled.

Overall, if you're comparing ethical behavior as a society in  2007 vs. 1957, I'd say that the jury's out. 2007 vs. 1907, however? 2007's more ethical, hands down, in spite of the Enrons. Jim Crow is gone. Women can vote. There are safeguards in place now for the least among us that were nonexistent a century earlier.

February 26, 2007, 5:37 pm CST

Quote From: nhughh

I don't know where this one came from or what they are smoken!   We had a guy in the White House that could not keep his pants zipped up and got a 7 mil advance on a book deal.   Really looks like the way to live to our youth!

And  I would add, at the risk of a political debate, what you have in The White House now isn't exactly the poster child for honest and ethical behavior either is he ?  And Clinton kept it much cleaner than the Kennedys, so the point would be what ?

February 26, 2007, 5:39 pm CST

To answer your last question 1st, no, absolutely NO; but slavery was supposedly made illegal in 1865; the poster to whom you were responding was blasting the 1960s. For too many people, the oft-romanticized "good old days" were circa 1955, somewhere after WWII but before civil rights, feminism and hippies took over the landscape...you know, sex, drugs, and rock & roll...

...and sexism, racism, etc. are alive and well, even in the 21st century...we're more subtle about it now (it's just not legislated). In fact, if you believe one article (I believe it was an AP wire story yesterday; I read it in my local paper), intolerance in its many forms is growing, rather than receding. Some safety nets for the least advantaged are being dismantled.

Overall, if you're comparing ethical behavior as a society in  2007 vs. 1957, I'd say that the jury's out. 2007 vs. 1907, however? 2007's more ethical, hands down, in spite of the Enrons. Jim Crow is gone. Women can vote. There are safeguards in place now for the least among us that were nonexistent a century earlier.

slavery has been going on scenes the beginning of time, and is alive and well even unto this day, i saw a show not 2 weeks ago where moms and dads were selling there children to a fishing camp, and the sad part was they were rescuing the young children and taking them back to the very ones that sold them in the first place, wonder how long it will be before the parents re sell those children? a law such as a slavery law needs to be enforced world wide to protect all the worlds children women and men!! i think it would be a very safe measure to let the wise one deliver revenge of any type, after all who knows more than he!

February 26, 2007, 6:29 pm CST

I think the mere fact that things are out in the open makes now better than before.  Minorities and women are out there saying "Hey, this is wrong!" Instead of being in the closet. Same with gay rights. That to me makes things MUCH more ethical. The more open discourse there is, the more people feel that they can freely talk with out harm or danger the closer we are to "right"..

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last