Message Boards

Topic : 07/25 "What Would You Do?"

Number of Replies: 380
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 23, 2007, 02:10:16 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/27/07) How ethical are you? Many people believe they would do the right thing when confronted with a dilemma, but what happens when the line between right and wrong becomes fuzzy? Mylissa says that after a bitter breakup the right thing to do is get revenge, so she created a Web site where women learn tips and ideas on how to get back at an ex. But did this Web site really help her get over her ex? You won't believe what she says! Then, Heather says her best friend, Roza, is sneaky and will do anything to save a buck. Roza has even asked Heather to participate in shady activities. Roza says it's a game, and it's fun. What does Dr. Phil think? And, the Dr. Phil show hits the streets of New York City to conduct its own social experiments and find out how honest people really are. Hidden cameras catch unaware people in action. Will they return extra money to the cashier? Stop a shoplifter in action? Help a woman who's being yelled at by her boyfriend? Or tell a woman her thong underwear is sticking out of her pants? What would you do?

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 24, 2007, 4:32 am CST

Morals

Well I haven't even seen the show yet but I can say this....it all depends on how you are raised..morally...lovingly with good values. I would say that "getting back at an ex" is time wasted, when one can try to move on and repair their psyche with the energy used for revenge. As long as one uses their energy for ill, they will continue to be in a "toxic mode" and therefore, the EX is winning still.

Have I done things mentioned..like giving back money, when the cashier made a mistake...absolutely because that cashier has to account for the money and it will come out of the cashiers salary. So, it's stealing, plain and simple.

My husband found a wallet on the ground at a gas station. When he came home called the person that he found the wallet and he would send it to him..which he did. The man wanted to give my husband a cash reward, he refused, he told the man..no thank you because it's the right thing to do. The following week a gift basket came to the house with a card thanking my husband for his honesty. Things like this happened several times in the 25 yrs we are married and I'm proud to say, that we have good values. Just to see the people who lost their personal possesions and get every thing back, intact, is gratifying.

After all what one puts out into the world...one gets back!

February 24, 2007, 7:27 am CST

Been ther done that, wmight not do it again

I had a boss who was my friend for 16 years.  He even planned my daughter's wedding and baked the cake, sent me to her baby shower in Mississippi when I lived in Maryland.  He gave me airline tickets and we were the best of friends and best of working partners.  He began to steal from the company, antiques, artwork, furniture to the tune of $100K's.  The moment of decision came when he stood over me while he asked me to charge a $2500 catering bill for a private party to my company credit card,  I had to report this to management.  It was handled poorly, they left me working for him for 5 months while they investigated the facts I gave him.  He was told he was being investigated and it was the worst 5 months of my life.  He made it hell.  Not much happened to him but they offered me retirement.  I was so stressed I just wanted out so I took what they were willing to give me and left.  Now I am mad at myself because they should have done more. I still miss who he was when he wasn't betraying me.  I also lost my best girlfriend of almost 20 years because of him. She took his side because he remained in a position where he could still offer her trips.  I feel like the biggest sucker of all time.

February 24, 2007, 7:42 am CST

Its all in the soul.......

Quote From: mkw2004

Well I haven't even seen the show yet but I can say this....it all depends on how you are raised..morally...lovingly with good values. I would say that "getting back at an ex" is time wasted, when one can try to move on and repair their psyche with the energy used for revenge. As long as one uses their energy for ill, they will continue to be in a "toxic mode" and therefore, the EX is winning still.

Have I done things mentioned..like giving back money, when the cashier made a mistake...absolutely because that cashier has to account for the money and it will come out of the cashiers salary. So, it's stealing, plain and simple.

My husband found a wallet on the ground at a gas station. When he came home called the person that he found the wallet and he would send it to him..which he did. The man wanted to give my husband a cash reward, he refused, he told the man..no thank you because it's the right thing to do. The following week a gift basket came to the house with a card thanking my husband for his honesty. Things like this happened several times in the 25 yrs we are married and I'm proud to say, that we have good values. Just to see the people who lost their personal possesions and get every thing back, intact, is gratifying.

I am 45 years old and am going to college to get my degrees, and as I look around and observe the other students who are of different ages, race, cultural backgrounds, neighborhoods and such I see why "society" has such a mixed idea as to what is right from wrong. 

It gives me a chance to change my own ideas if they were too rigid and to stand strong on ones that I believe to be right or wrong.  I rely on the interfeelings that God provides me with daily, because my old behavior got me into too much trouble for years. 

Get over your ex and whatever he may have done...you are allowing him to live "rent free" inside your head and taking up space that if you used all that energy in a more productive and positive way you would be further along in growth than you are now.   I just learned a new meaning to the word "FORGIVE"....sit back and think about the lessons you have learned from this past relationship and what you do not want to carry on to another...and inside your head say..thank you ..."For giving me the chance to go through this now, so I don't carry it on with someone else"     I have found it to be quite helpful and growing, because anything that hurts has to have a lesson in it, if I don't learn from it, its bound to happen again until I do learn the lesson. 

Money is money and in todays economy its very short for us common people.  If you find something that belongs to someone else, it gives you a very great warm fuzzy feeling to see the delight on their face.  Whose to say its the last of the money they had for the month and it was to pay for their childs outstanding medical bill....wouldn't you feel like garbage if you had it and used it for something selfish???   Thinking about others feelings needs to be drilled into our childrens heads as they are growing up as they were when us..the "baby boomers" were taught.

God Bless one and all.

February 24, 2007, 7:53 am CST

02/27 "What Would You Do?"

Ethics and morals, here's an interesting topic.

Revenge on an ex, okay I'm not sure why anyone would waste their time and energy, I mean I think most of us THINK about ways to get back  at them, but to actually do it I think is more of a sign of mental illness than any type of justice.  I don't think there are too many of us that haven't been hurt at some point, whether by a friend, lover or family, does revenge really solve the problem ? Nope, it creates more than necessary.

How honest are we, hmmm, good question.  But I would question, what RIGHT does anyone have to take what's not theirs ?  Because of shoplifters, and those "Bargain Hunters ", I'm talking about those ones that change stickers, mixing and matching sets etc., prices keep going up (not just because of that I know ) and its really pathetic, most of us have to actually WORK to buy what we want.  What gives someone the RIGHT to steal a car, or to break into someones  home and take what they want, like I said we work damn hard for what we get, you want it, get a REAL job.

Personally, I would return a wallet  or purse, hell I feel guilty if I take a grape from the produce section.

Something that did bother me though, on the news last week, a woman collapsed in the parking lot of the mall, not one person stopped to see if she was alright, thankfully she was, that's a sad state when we can just walk past that.

February 24, 2007, 9:45 am CST

Honesty and morels are things that are taught to you or you have learned by someone through example. At times it might not be the easyiest thing, but the RIGHT thing to do. We as parents must lead by example. I  like so many others have had a chance to be tempted and after all at the end of the day  we have to live with ourselfs. I have never one regreted doing the right thing !

February 24, 2007, 10:07 am CST

What I Would Do

I cant't see wasting my time in revenge when I could be using the time to heal and go on.  I'd rather be happy and useful than down in the mud slinging.  We will reap what we sow.  It usually takes two in a relationship both giving 100% to the relationship.  I can't tolerate hate and anger.  I go for the good.

February 24, 2007, 11:15 am CST

money skirts and morals

morals

i can not begin to count the times i have had to give back money to cashiers cuz they gave me too much..it is just the right thing to since it is taken out of thier paychecks..

i once went on a 7 day crusise to mexico with a good friend and we were to fly out of a big city in mexico back to the USA  and because it was so hot and humid i was wearing only a bra, panty hose, (no panties cuz it was to hot)  sandles and a tent dress.. we went to see the cliff diviers and the taxi cab driver who was darling insisted that we have a beer (oh it was warm too) so i did..ok that was my 2nd mistake.. well when we got to the airport i had to use the rest room and there was an attendent there and i tipped her and she looked at me funny.( it was a good tip too) and i thiought maybe she wanted more so i gave her more and she still looked at me funny.. well i met my friend outside the restroom and we went to find our gate to catch our plane.. we walkde the entire lenght of the airport did not see a airport gate and finally saw someone from our curise line and asked her where to go.. "oh" she says " up the esculator and turn right you will see the gates there" so up the esculator we went when we hear the voice of the cruise person yelling " oh madam madam madam oh madam" and i knew exactily what was wrong.. cuz at that moment my friend turned and looked at me and began to laugh and pointing at me and laughing.. what is one to do but to laugh in fact it was a belly laugh that even now when i tell the story makes me laugh.. and what were they laughing at the gringo with her dress in her panty hose and her entire behind hanging out for all to see.. yep it was a memory did any one tell us before hand, oh no. did it bother me? oh no,because stuff  happensand usually  when you need a good laugh.. and it is best to laugh at yourself and with others than to get upset by it.. and you are now asking why was i not wearing panties.. for that you will have to call me.. lol

thanks for offering a format for sharing my story..

donna

February 24, 2007, 11:52 am CST

I try and make my decisions in concert with postive creation.  Revenge, is a negative emotion.   It's simple Karma, do unto others...   If you act in negative ways, you will suffer the effects of negative actions, until you learn this lesson.

February 24, 2007, 12:23 pm CST

Totally agree with you and looking forward to raise my 3 babies with those same value.

T.K.

February 24, 2007, 1:11 pm CST

Ethics and Morals

Quote From: ceildh1

Ethics and morals, here's an interesting topic.

Revenge on an ex, okay I'm not sure why anyone would waste their time and energy, I mean I think most of us THINK about ways to get back  at them, but to actually do it I think is more of a sign of mental illness than any type of justice.  I don't think there are too many of us that haven't been hurt at some point, whether by a friend, lover or family, does revenge really solve the problem ? Nope, it creates more than necessary.

How honest are we, hmmm, good question.  But I would question, what RIGHT does anyone have to take what's not theirs ?  Because of shoplifters, and those "Bargain Hunters ", I'm talking about those ones that change stickers, mixing and matching sets etc., prices keep going up (not just because of that I know ) and its really pathetic, most of us have to actually WORK to buy what we want.  What gives someone the RIGHT to steal a car, or to break into someones  home and take what they want, like I said we work damn hard for what we get, you want it, get a REAL job.

Personally, I would return a wallet  or purse, hell I feel guilty if I take a grape from the produce section.

Something that did bother me though, on the news last week, a woman collapsed in the parking lot of the mall, not one person stopped to see if she was alright, thankfully she was, that's a sad state when we can just walk past that.

There aren't many these days.  The Buck rules.   This Country lost it in the '60's.  Look what and who gets elected to the top offices.   They don't set any examples for the next generation.  I guess I am too old -  I remember when my uncle made House Calls 24/7.   Now you get qualified first if you make it to a medical building!   I have been surrounded by the results of 2 generations of dead beat dads.  It is pure crap -  that it's gun or drugs that kill!   It is people with a selfish view of life that may have grown up with it, too!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last