Message Boards

Topic : 06/28 Silent Darkness

Number of Replies: 606
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 23, 2007, 02:11:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/28/07) Most parents find raising a child overwhelming enough, but imagine if your child could neither see you, nor hear you. Now imagine having that child times three. Liz is the mother of deaf and blind triplets. Her three daughters are now 6 years old, but one of the girls communicates at a 2-year-old level, and the other two at only a 10-month-old level. Liz's world is consumed with their 24-hour care, plus the care of her oldest daughter, who is 10 and often overlooked among the chaos of the triplets. After years of dealing with the girls on her own, a new man stepped into Liz's life to fill the shoes of her ex-husband. George thought he could become Liz's hero, but their relationship has been strained from the start, and the stress is tearing them apart. See what a day in Liz and George's lives is like, and the surprises Dr. Phil has in store for them. Plus, meet an inspirational woman who says her world turned from light to dark at the age of 15. She has a message for George and Liz. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 27, 2007, 6:46 pm CST

02/28 Silent Darkness

Quote From: bullrider45238

i am an interpreter for the Deaf and work with Deaf-blind on a regular basis. I just want to applaud you for bringing this story to people's attention

I think its great to bring this to people's attention, I've worked with deaf children, and blind children, but I have never worked with a deaf-blind child, and I admit I am guilty of forgetting that there are people who struggle with both.

But their mother, it seems has a handle on things, or she at least she's doing the best she can for them, we do the best with what we've been given in life, I can only assume she meets they're needs, they seem to be cared for and well cared for, I do hope though the Doc can get her some help and a break, we all need one at some point.

February 27, 2007, 6:53 pm CST

02/28 Silent Darkness

Quote From: gwarrior6

I feel bad for the 10 year old daughter who gets overlooked...I used to be her, that's really bad.  You can be neglected so easily because it takes so much energy to keep the other kids alive.  It really affects you socially...I couldn't bring friends over because the house smelled bad (one brother had a colostomy and was fecally incontinent) and I was embarrassed.  Because it took so much attention, my parents didn't have much of a social life, which meant that I didn't get a good example of social skills... but i'm working on mine.  You just want to crawl into a hole somewhere and escape, and people don't understand what's going on.  Anyway, I hope that gives some insight into the POV of a sibling of a special needs child.  It plays a big impact on who you are and the guilt you feel at not being able to take care of your siblings.  I guess that's why i went into healthcare...anyway, hope that helps.

I feel for the older child as well, I think we parents do overlook the child that seems okay taking for granted that they are okay, we don't mean to and its no fault of the siblings.

Hopefully you're right, and she will grow to be a wonderfully tolerant, independant woman who can see beyond differences to the person behind the disability.

But at ten, it must be tough I honestly don't know how she feels but I can try to empathize.

I hope for the best outcome for her, and you are a good sister for hanging in there and going on to help others.

February 27, 2007, 9:19 pm CST

Liz and George are courageous, loving souls!

Liz is by far the strongest, bravest, most devoted, loving and determined person I have ever known...and I've known her more than a decade. I knew her before she was the mother of deafblind triplets -- her heart is pure, and her determination in life has always been full-speed ahead. I saw her courage take a different form when we served in the military together -- over the past ten years I've seen that courage and determination peak. She is a fantastic mother to her daughters. She excels in a situation most people could not endure. George is a loving, devoted and amazing man who pours his entire heart and soul into Liz and the girls.   

Every relationship has stresses and struggles. It's almost laughable when you think about the situations that overwhelm and topple many relationships, and then you see the towering strength that Liz and George showcase...Just try to imagine what their life must entail. Can you even comprehend? I know I can't. The challenges are immense, the hurdles -- mountains. But the love Liz and George give those girls is larger than mountains.

I am so glad they are sharing their story on Dr. Phil and I pray that America will open their hearts to this family and embrace deaf blindness. It is not so rare -- but America tends to ignore it. Doesn't answer the call when people need assistance.

I'm so glad Liz and George had the strength to share their story. I hope it opens all our eyes!

I can't wait to see the show! My heart goes out to them always!

February 28, 2007, 3:11 am CST

Similiar experience

A married man and woman we know adopted two severely disabled children. It was rough and the man had an affair and left the marriage. He also left the kids. However, after a year or so (and after he married his mistress), he walked back into the lives of his adopted children. His ex wife has forgiven him and together (along w/ the former mistress), they all work together for the benefit of those children. The ex wife has forgiven him, he's forgiven himself, his new wife has apologized and the kids are happy and doing well with all three parents.

It was dispicable what this father did...walking out on his family, but I supposed that since he is a flawed human (as we all are), the pressure of raising these wonderful (but needy) children got too much for him. Eventually, he realized the error of his ways and did right by them (and his former wife).

God bless all those who care for needy children. May they do what is morally right, accept the challenges and always follow the road God has set for them.

February 28, 2007, 5:05 am CST

What wonderful parents they are.

I just want to say how amazing Liz and George are as parents to the four children they have in their care.  I am absolutely humbled by both of them.  What a great example to me and others you are. George, i know you must think of giving up sometimes but i pray that God will fill you, and Liz, with His strength and faith to go on. Zoe, Sophie and Emma seem such beautiful girls and i am sure they are a 24/7 responsibility.  I just hope that both of you may be able to spend some time together one day soon just for a break, and also special time with your other lovely child Sarah, who is 10 years old.  She must feel lonely i guess and i do believe that she will mature into a beautiful young lady. She needs time with you both as well.  I applaud you for your wonderful effort that you make every day, week, and years.  May God Bless you all as a family, a very special family.  Lory (Maria3255)   

February 28, 2007, 5:38 am CST

We are all human

Quote From: penny_lady

This is just one of the more heart breaking situations I could imagine. I think sometimes people for get that parents aren't godly...they are just human beings who also have limits.
I do agree that us parents are just human beings with limits. It is in our human-ness that God meets us and enables us to do the unthinkable. We also need to have a break from our work and in Sarah's case, Liz  and George could make special time with her every couple of days. I do hope that with Dr.Phil"s help many resources will be found to help this lovely family. Please George, don't make Liz feel guilty.  You did know that she had the children when you married Liz, but i know it must be hard for you both, so please hang in there together.  God Bless.  Lory(maria3255)

February 28, 2007, 5:52 am CST

02/28 Silent Darkness

Dr Phil if ever you saved a couple this is the couple Worthy of all at your disposal, i do pray you give Liz 101% of your recourses that you have available, this is a much better and deserving couple of your time than what i saw on yesterdays shows opening!!!

February 28, 2007, 6:08 am CST

02/28 Silent Darkness

i noticed you have set up a link so we many viewers can help Liz as well Dr Phil i thank you for doing this and i pray all will give what ever they can no matter how great or small, i cant think of a better way to spend a few bucks.

February 28, 2007, 6:34 am CST

Help for family

I'm A CNA and these girls should be able to have a Cna come in every day and help them. I wish they lived in my state I would enjoy helping them.

February 28, 2007, 6:35 am CST

Please let me help!

For the last 9 years I have worked with mentally and physically handicapped adults...including those who are both deaf and blind.  I'm also a mother who understands the deep committment a woman feels for her children.  I have to admit that I've never left my child (16 months now...) except while working...but this family REALLY needs a break.  I don't know where they live, but I would love to give them a day of respite or advice, or just to talk when they're overwhelmed!  After working in the field I have for all these years, nothing would shock me.  The company is appropriately named ADAPT...and we constantly have to roll with our patients changing needs.  I think my experience would help them with anything from feeding to the "feces covered walls"  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE forward this and my information to this family.  If fresh ideas and an understanding voice might help this family, it's worth a shot!

Kara

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last