Message Boards

Topic : 06/28 Silent Darkness

Number of Replies: 606
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 23, 2007, 02:11:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/28/07) Most parents find raising a child overwhelming enough, but imagine if your child could neither see you, nor hear you. Now imagine having that child times three. Liz is the mother of deaf and blind triplets. Her three daughters are now 6 years old, but one of the girls communicates at a 2-year-old level, and the other two at only a 10-month-old level. Liz's world is consumed with their 24-hour care, plus the care of her oldest daughter, who is 10 and often overlooked among the chaos of the triplets. After years of dealing with the girls on her own, a new man stepped into Liz's life to fill the shoes of her ex-husband. George thought he could become Liz's hero, but their relationship has been strained from the start, and the stress is tearing them apart. See what a day in Liz and George's lives is like, and the surprises Dr. Phil has in store for them. Plus, meet an inspirational woman who says her world turned from light to dark at the age of 15. She has a message for George and Liz. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 23, 2007, 5:30 pm CST

02/28 Silent Darkness

This is just one of the more heart breaking situations I could imagine. I think sometimes people for get that parents aren't godly...they are just human beings who also have limits.

February 24, 2007, 6:53 am CST

I can't stop crying.

I think this story is so sad. I started to read it and couldn't stop crying. I hope that when I watch the show, that it becomes a story of inspiration.

February 24, 2007, 7:45 am CST

HEARTFELT MESSAGE

My heart goes out to this family.. I can imagine what this mother is going through.. I have a mentally handicapped daughter and a son that has been really sick.. My son is in remission from cancer. (Rhabdomyosarcoma) Now we are going back and forth to doctors for other problems he is experienceing.It seems like we are always having to be in the hospital or at a  doctors office..It sometimes gets rough. As far as MEN go.. i know my husband has been great. but when times get rough and things are not going just the way he thought. they should.. he put this distance between us. i felt like he didnt want to be with us he was turning his back on us. but i know with out a doubt he loves us.. just has a different way of dealing with things.. Did not make it any easier on me and the kids...I think men have a harder time dealing with responsability esaecially when it comes to something they have no control of. I totally understand . MY prayers are with you and your family. When you feel that times are hard remmeber God will not give you nothing he doesn't think you can handle.. I know that seems hard to understand.. Because it is still hard for me to understand it.. but I feel that we ( YOU and ME) are special.......Because God chose us to take care of these very special angels.and i would not trade them for anything in this world..they are my world. I will pray for your family that you will all be ok.. Goof luck anf Know God is on your side.

February 24, 2007, 8:21 am CST

02/28 Silent Darkness

So he's not their father, and he wanted to be the hero, okay, but did he NOT research or was he blind to the reality of caring for not just one but THREE special needs children, okay what's done is done they got married and now he can't handle it, when you marry someone with kids, they're a package deal special needs and all.

That being said though, they are HUMAN all parents are and we make mistakes we do the best we can with what we've been given.  If anything, they look exhausted, and its not like they can just hire the neighbor's teen to babysit so they can get a break, even other family members may not be able to handle sitting for them, those children require Specialized care.  I really hope maybe the Doc can get them a respite worker to help them out.

My heart does go out to the eldest child, its not her fault, its no fault of the triplets, and really, its not her Mother's fault, her three younger sibling require more attention and care, and ten, well she's not really old enough to understand, and even if she does, she's NOT going to like it.

My comment to him, look be a man and either dig in and do what needs doing, or leave, your wife has enough to deal with, she dosen't need you holding that over her head, but if you still want to be the "Hero" GET OVER YOURSELF, and do what needs doing.

And a friendly reminder to anyone considering marriage for the second time around, your spouse may be coming as a package deal, and children cannot be just put under the bed or back in a toybox when you get tired of them.

February 24, 2007, 8:50 am CST

Heroic

Wow, when I heard of this, I thought it couldn't be true... But it was. And I would like to acknowledge the mothers courage. A lot of people would have gave up on their children if they had those disabilities, but not this one. This mother has stayed true with her children and she is a real hero in my books. I wish you and your family the best of luck!

February 24, 2007, 11:44 am CST

deaf blind

I am the mother of a seventeen year old boy with deaf blindness and would apprecaite talking to other mothers/parents dealing with this. My son is also mentally retarded and is very difficult to communicate with as well as he cannot communicate his needs to me. It's all very frustating and definitely overwhelming.

February 24, 2007, 1:05 pm CST

02/28 Silent Darkness

Wow!!  I know thats got to be hard on her! Keeping her in my prayers! God Bless you!!

February 24, 2007, 1:45 pm CST

Wow say that, Well put !

Quote From: ceildh1

So he's not their father, and he wanted to be the hero, okay, but did he NOT research or was he blind to the reality of caring for not just one but THREE special needs children, okay what's done is done they got married and now he can't handle it, when you marry someone with kids, they're a package deal special needs and all.

That being said though, they are HUMAN all parents are and we make mistakes we do the best we can with what we've been given.  If anything, they look exhausted, and its not like they can just hire the neighbor's teen to babysit so they can get a break, even other family members may not be able to handle sitting for them, those children require Specialized care.  I really hope maybe the Doc can get them a respite worker to help them out.

My heart does go out to the eldest child, its not her fault, its no fault of the triplets, and really, its not her Mother's fault, her three younger sibling require more attention and care, and ten, well she's not really old enough to understand, and even if she does, she's NOT going to like it.

My comment to him, look be a man and either dig in and do what needs doing, or leave, your wife has enough to deal with, she dosen't need you holding that over her head, but if you still want to be the "Hero" GET OVER YOURSELF, and do what needs doing.

And a friendly reminder to anyone considering marriage for the second time around, your spouse may be coming as a package deal, and children cannot be just put under the bed or back in a toybox when you get tired of them.

no more, need be said.... EstherSue1

February 24, 2007, 3:56 pm CST

chosen

These kids needs lots and lots of patience, not heroes.I know that  a 10 yr has enough on their shoulder with peer pressure and all. It can not be easy  for them deal with a sister or brother witha disability.

I having a 10 yr try to  find quality time just  for the two of us because his brother is autistic(borderline) but is.

We pray lots and lots just for patience. We chose to be parents not heroes.The book of Isaiah is very encouarging because soon the deaf will hear and the blind will see.

February 24, 2007, 5:26 pm CST

hope

From what I have read I am not sure if these children have other problems or are only deaf/blind.  I work with a young man who is deaf/blind and is 14.  This morning he just wrestled in his first ever wrestling match in our middle school program, he won.  He would be a great inspiration for this mother as he leaves everyone he meets a better person.    He is smart and clever in spite of  his challenges.  He is supported by a wonderful father, sisters, grandpa, and an angel of a grandma who works very hard to help him succeed.  This young man is who he is because of his blind/deafness and he is a wonderful person who makes us all better people just to have known him.  Good luck to this mom and remember to find people who have experienced this for your support and encouragement. Cindy

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last