Message Boards

Topic : 03/01 Sudden Fame

Number of Replies: 128
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 23, 2007, 02:16:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Do you wish the whole world knew your name? Do you wonder how it would feel to stroll down the red carpet or have the paparazzi waiting for you as you walked out of a restaurant? Jennifer recently auditioned for American Idol, but didn’t make the final cut to go to Hollywood. She thinks about her failed performance every day, and says Simon Cowell crushed her dreams. Will she be able to regain her confidence when she performs on the show? Then, Elizabeth says she’s determined to make her 9-year-old daughter famous. Her sister, Priscilla, says her niece is too heavy and doesn’t have the talent to make it. Is Elizabeth setting her daughter up for failure, or should Priscilla mind her own business? Plus, Taylor Hicks went from virtual obscurity to instant fame …all with the help of 64 million American Idol viewers. Don’t miss Taylor’s riveting performance, talk about the show here!

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 8, 2007, 8:06 am CST

Sudden Fame does not come without hard work.

I raised 3 talented musicians and knew how important it was for them to have a "regular" childhood. My kids are now 29, a musical theater major; 28, a sound engineer and guitarist; and 25 music educator(violinist and operatic voice). They experienced girl and boy scouts, softball, soccer and music lessons, as well as academic focus as children. I believe that it was important for them to be well-rounded individuals. They have not "made it" as yet, but are passionate about their "craft" and doing it well, and they realize the "hard" work and competiton involved. As a parent, I support their "dreams" but also know that these are their dreams and are proud of them no matter what they do with their lives.

March 14, 2007, 2:27 pm CDT

yea

if you've got talent,  TALENT people ,

March 18, 2007, 12:00 pm CDT

03/01 Sudden Fame

Talent can be just like other aspects of one's life, in that there needs to be positive support for the person to advance in their talent in a well balanced way.  That positive involvement will help if fame comes from the talent.  But talent in artistic ways can tend to be more emotional than other types of, such as scientific, talents.

Not everyone has enough positiveness in their lives to survive fame, which can be a shame for some really otherwise nice folks.

March 27, 2007, 9:51 am CDT

03/01 Sudden Fame

While the theory of fame is desireable... it's included items that frighten me... I'm an aspiring artist, and I have people telling me frequently that in a very short period of time I could be 'famous' in the world of art. This scares me a little. I would love to be able to live off of my art, but I don't nessecarily want to make a big name for myself.
I have a cousin in the music industry who has worked with several popular musicians, and from her I know that while she loves her job and what she does, she hates the add ons... stalkers, fansites that don't know anything about her (She actually has 2 fan sites dedicated to her, but the information on both sites are completely off and give a dazzlingly fake image of her), and having to protect her clients from poporatzi.
Like I've said, the idea of fame is a really cool thing, but who wants complete strangers watching your every move... That's a scary thought.

March 27, 2007, 1:13 pm CDT

ABC's Wife Swappin Pastor's wife

Not everyone goes on reality shows for the purpose of obtaining fame.  As a pastor's wife I was swapped with an atheist's internet radio show's wife on ABC's 'Wife Swap.'  We spent 6 weeks in council prior to our decision to participate.  Obviiously the words 'Pastor's Wife' and 'Wife Swap' do not sound like they should be said in the same sentence.  We knew it was a controversial decision, filled with potential risks.  Though we received overwhelming support, our decision to participate did cost us a few members of our congregation.  We, however would do it all again.  We received over 8,000 hits on our site and 700+ e-mails.   Lives were changed, people returned to church, marriages were restored, parents improved at parenting,families grew closer and even the crew was affected.  The best product of the show: after having had five sons and deciding we would have no more, my husband and I were blessed by the conception of a daughter the night of our 'Wife Swap' reunion.  People locally call her the ABC baby.  My experience with reality was pretty close to reality.  I never said or did anything that was not of my own choosing.  I even had a four hour delay in filming one evening because I re-wrote the crews suggested script.  

Here's one disadvantage that those who want to be reality stars may not have considered.   On a fluke, I responded to a tv request to call a number if you would like to make someone's dream come true.  I called. on behalf of my husbands dream.  An ABC Talent Agent called me in response and told me my husband was selected for his 'dream come true, '  an Alaskan bear hunt.  I was so excited for him.  I was told by the agent to keep it a secret.  I did.  The next day the agent called again and upon discovering that we were on 'Wife Swap,' he sadly informed me that my husband was no longer a candidate.  I had to break the news to my husband.  'Honey, you almost had your dream come true.'  Tomorrow night the 'American Dream Vote' aires on ABC.  My husband was almost a candidate. Now that's another reality of reality.  It can cut you out of grand opportunities.

March 27, 2007, 5:34 pm CDT

losing virginity

I do not think Brian has fully realized all the consequences that could happen to him.  He is looking at the immediate future not years down the road.  What happens if he goes through with this process and gets his wish and then meets somebody a few years from not that he really likes. 

What if she finds out about what you did for your 15 minites of fame and this goes completely against all her morals.  You could stand to lose far more then you thought just for that 15 minutes. 

March 28, 2007, 1:50 am CDT

Sheep Nation

We have become such a nation of followers. We allow Hollywood, corporate America, and their politicians to tell us what we like and what is good for us. We joyfully follow them to the slaughter house, bleating happily about how we are running with the "in" crowd. "Reality" shows are the best thing to hit Hollywood since Wonderbread. They don't have to hire any talent (if such a thing exists anymore) or deal with the "star's" massive egos. Just tell the fools that watch this crap that this is the "latest" thing, and they gobble it up hook, line, and sinker. The most famous people in America are skanky sluts, not talented authors or war heros or anybody that actually deserves the title. We live in such a narcissic society it is no wonder relationships have gone the way of the dinosaur and everyone is so busy worshiping themselves that they couldn't imagine giving any of that love to another deserving human being. In the end, we are all tiny insignificant specks of dust in a huge, uncaring universe, where we matter so little that our passing of time is the blink of an eye. If that is all the time I have to make a difference, I think I will wisely use my time to alleviate some of the suffering I see around me, not trying to get "noticed" by one more person who will forget about me in a few seconds.

March 29, 2007, 10:53 am CDT

03/01 Sudden Fame

Quote From: wespauley

We have become such a nation of followers. We allow Hollywood, corporate America, and their politicians to tell us what we like and what is good for us. We joyfully follow them to the slaughter house, bleating happily about how we are running with the "in" crowd. "Reality" shows are the best thing to hit Hollywood since Wonderbread. They don't have to hire any talent (if such a thing exists anymore) or deal with the "star's" massive egos. Just tell the fools that watch this crap that this is the "latest" thing, and they gobble it up hook, line, and sinker. The most famous people in America are skanky sluts, not talented authors or war heros or anybody that actually deserves the title. We live in such a narcissic society it is no wonder relationships have gone the way of the dinosaur and everyone is so busy worshiping themselves that they couldn't imagine giving any of that love to another deserving human being. In the end, we are all tiny insignificant specks of dust in a huge, uncaring universe, where we matter so little that our passing of time is the blink of an eye. If that is all the time I have to make a difference, I think I will wisely use my time to alleviate some of the suffering I see around me, not trying to get "noticed" by one more person who will forget about me in a few seconds.

" We allow Hollywood, corporate America, and their politicians to tell us what we like and what is good for us."

You have that backwards. Hollywood isn't out to destroy Americans, or tell them what to do or think, they are out to make money. Blame Americans for what Hollywood has become, not the other way around.

First | Prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next Page | Last Page