Message Boards

Topic : 03/01 Sudden Fame

Number of Replies: 128
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 23, 2007, 02:16:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Do you wish the whole world knew your name? Do you wonder how it would feel to stroll down the red carpet or have the paparazzi waiting for you as you walked out of a restaurant? Jennifer recently auditioned for American Idol, but didn’t make the final cut to go to Hollywood. She thinks about her failed performance every day, and says Simon Cowell crushed her dreams. Will she be able to regain her confidence when she performs on the show? Then, Elizabeth says she’s determined to make her 9-year-old daughter famous. Her sister, Priscilla, says her niece is too heavy and doesn’t have the talent to make it. Is Elizabeth setting her daughter up for failure, or should Priscilla mind her own business? Plus, Taylor Hicks went from virtual obscurity to instant fame …all with the help of 64 million American Idol viewers. Don’t miss Taylor’s riveting performance, talk about the show here!

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 25, 2007, 2:46 pm CST

Sudden fame

Aaaaah, sudden fame.  Most people have no idea what "fame" is or for that matter, "sudden fame".  What makes a person think that they want fame?  If you try out for American Idol, Miss America or any other show or program where judging is involved, be prepared.  There is no way that everyone can make the cut and going into an audition, you should realize that there is a 99% chance that you are not the one.  It doesn't matter if momma, daddy, grandma, grandpa or half of the town tells you how good you are, Simon is the ultimate deciding factor because it is his money backing you.  One should NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go into an audition thinking that they are the only one for the job.  You should always do the best that you can do and pray for the best.  If you are indeed the best, then no one will have to tell you that you are not good enough.  It is hard work and a very long road to fame.  I am appalled that a lot of the people who try out for American Idol act so surprised when they do not make the "cut".  Simon has the knowledge of the music business whether people like it or not and he is not stupid.  Simon knows what will make money and what won't.  The main thing people seem to forget is that Simon wants ORIGINALITY.  Not many people have that talent.  Life is going to be very miserable for all those wanna be's out there in "fame land".  Accept the talent God gave you and do something with it instead of crying because you did not get to be on American Idol.  Stop and ask God, "what do you want me to do in this life?"  If you listen long and hard enough, I bet you will get an answer.

February 25, 2007, 5:25 pm CST

Want to be famous?

NO WAY! no desire, never have and never will. I love life just as it is, a wonderful husband, two great kids,  terrific friends, a home, love, privacy, money,  freedom to come and go as I wish with with out some obnoxious wannabes and photograhers, rumors, nosey people, whatever,!!!!! don't need em in my life and I would NEVER put my children in show  biz. When they grow up and if they want to go to acting school,whatever, that's up to them, but NO WAY would I start my children out in hollywood, I want them to have a better then that life style. My children belong at home being children, playing with friends, getting dirty, having sleep overs, learning about love and respect and being with family, not out entertaining the world, competing for popualrity. Life is wonderful being me, wouldn't have it any other way.

February 25, 2007, 5:28 pm CST

03/01 Sudden Fame

Quote From: faeryedark

I will... thank you! I've learned that the people who generally make the most difference in this world are not the famous or necessarily the rich but the mentors and the organ donors, and people like Rosa Parks, and Mother Teresa..people who may have become famous but only after doing what they believed in and felt was right.
I agree, and those are actually the type of people I have a little bit more respect more. I know there are many good celebrities out there who have caring hearts and that's good but I am on the same page as you are............

February 25, 2007, 7:43 pm CST

taylor Hicks

I cant wait to see him on the show.  I knew from the beginning he was going to win, just like I am pretty certain who will win this year already.  I love Taylor and have his CD now too and it is good.  I really love that you are doing a show about American Idol and fame.  my daughter who is 11, cant wait till she is old enough to audition.  She has been singing and dancing and acting since she was 3 and is very good.

Stacie

Aurora IL

February 26, 2007, 4:19 am CST

03/01 Sudden Fame

Quote From: raynellh

Aaaaah, sudden fame.  Most people have no idea what "fame" is or for that matter, "sudden fame".  What makes a person think that they want fame?  If you try out for American Idol, Miss America or any other show or program where judging is involved, be prepared.  There is no way that everyone can make the cut and going into an audition, you should realize that there is a 99% chance that you are not the one.  It doesn't matter if momma, daddy, grandma, grandpa or half of the town tells you how good you are, Simon is the ultimate deciding factor because it is his money backing you.  One should NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go into an audition thinking that they are the only one for the job.  You should always do the best that you can do and pray for the best.  If you are indeed the best, then no one will have to tell you that you are not good enough.  It is hard work and a very long road to fame.  I am appalled that a lot of the people who try out for American Idol act so surprised when they do not make the "cut".  Simon has the knowledge of the music business whether people like it or not and he is not stupid.  Simon knows what will make money and what won't.  The main thing people seem to forget is that Simon wants ORIGINALITY.  Not many people have that talent.  Life is going to be very miserable for all those wanna be's out there in "fame land".  Accept the talent God gave you and do something with it instead of crying because you did not get to be on American Idol.  Stop and ask God, "what do you want me to do in this life?"  If you listen long and hard enough, I bet you will get an answer.

I have to agree with you, and one thing I do like about Simon is that there is no beating around the bush with him and he's not giving people false hope, if you stink, he'll tell you straight up, leaving no doubt.  Have you ever noticed though, no one seems to talk about when he tells them, "well you've got a good voice, but you should maybe take a year and train it , " or when he says "really you're too young " talking maturity here.

Oh, and as for the contestants that go off cursing and acting like complete idiots, well talent agents do watch these shows, and no one wants to represent you if you can't take critisism,  just what they don't want another high maitenance diva, all aspects of the entertainment industry are dog eat dog, and survival of the fittest, and you have to be GOOD and original, as an avid music fan, I don't want to see and hear the same thing recycled over and over again.

Be an agent, producer, musician, manager, there are more aspects to the industry than just being in the spotlight, and ask yourself, where would the famous people be without the people in the shadows, even Dr. Phil and Oprah NEED the behind the scenes people to keep them where they are, we may not know their names, but the Doc and Oprah would be NOTHING without them.

February 26, 2007, 2:31 pm CST

Sweet Taylor

I'm excited to see Taylor Hicks on your show.  I had the pleasure of meeting him last week in Coral Springs, FL.  He is everything I thought he'd be and more.  He is very kind, humble, gracious and real.  I'd have to say I thought he was even a little shy,  (offstage that is.)  You'd have to go see him perform live to get the real Taylor Hicks effect,  it is incredible.  I think he's a great role model for anyone chasing the same dream. 

February 27, 2007, 9:11 am CST

I'll settle for other people being famous.

I personally have never had any desire for fame. I'm glad that some people do have that desire. (Actors,singers,etc) Maybe sometimes people just had a talent that they enjoyed and the fame came along with it. My favorite actor is Robert DeNiro.I have always liked his movies and the characters he's played. But I've never had any desire to meet the man. To me, he's all the characters he's portrayed.I'm not saying that I think it's wrong to want to meet famous people.I'm saying that I'm satisfied with being entertained by them. I say if you've blessed with a talent, go for it. If you succeed we'll all reap the benefits by being entertained in the end. (Besides what would I say to DeNiro,"Are you talkin' to me?Are you talkin' to ME?")Ha!Ha!

February 27, 2007, 2:23 pm CST

03/01 Sudden Fame

Quote From: ceildh1

Okay, the American Idol thing, Simon Cowell wouldn't be where he is today by just representing ANYONE off the streets, he and Randy know what they are doing, and have their finger on the pulse of the music industry, Simon just tends to tell it like it is, no beating around the bush or trying to be nice about it giving false hope.  But the dream wasn't that strong if a total stranger can break you, so you're not star material, why not try producing, or managing behind the scenes ? What about acting ?  American Idol, Canadian Idol, whatever, just glorified talent shows.

Trying to live vicariously through your child ? I never did understand that, if the child is truly that talented well it will happen maybe when the child is older and able to make a CHOICE about what he/she wants to do.  These type of parents have to understand that the competition is FIERCE, and yes there are Simon Cowells in the movie industry, is Mom or the child able and willing to deal with that ?  The aunt should just stay out of it unless there is abuse going on.

One thing about any aspect of the entertainment industry, if you have thin skin, stay the hell out of there, really because look at what the media is doing to Anna Nicole Smith, the woman's dead , and everytime a star does something (Britany shaving her head, Paris drinking and driving ) it is up for public opinion and media scrutiny true or not, fame is NOT for the faint of heart.

Someitimes I wonder if Simon Cowell really knows what he's doing. Yes, he rejects the ones whose "singing" I have to mute. Some of their "voices" are worse than fingernails on a blackboard. But, he passed up three auditioners I thought were really good. They remembered the words and sang them clearly. And, stayed in tune and on key. So what if they sounded a bit boring, caboret, or nasal. They could've worked on their delivery during the competition. BTW, did you know Kelly Clarkson wasn't his "pick" but the wiewers overruled him. And, I hear her on the radio all the time. But, his "pick" Fantasia Berrino, never. If I did, I'd change the station.

February 27, 2007, 4:07 pm CST

03/01 Sudden Fame

Quote From: ramair

Someitimes I wonder if Simon Cowell really knows what he's doing. Yes, he rejects the ones whose "singing" I have to mute. Some of their "voices" are worse than fingernails on a blackboard. But, he passed up three auditioners I thought were really good. They remembered the words and sang them clearly. And, stayed in tune and on key. So what if they sounded a bit boring, caboret, or nasal. They could've worked on their delivery during the competition. BTW, did you know Kelly Clarkson wasn't his "pick" but the wiewers overruled him. And, I hear her on the radio all the time. But, his "pick" Fantasia Berrino, never. If I did, I'd change the station.
LOL Kelly Clarkson wasn't my pick either! I don't like her voice...I think it's very generic and boring. I don't like any of her music. Fantasia, IMO had a much better voice.

It's not all about ability, it's also about actual sound, how unique it is and what the music industry might be currently in demand of.

February 28, 2007, 4:33 am CST

03/01 Sudden Fame

Quote From: ramair

Well personally, I wouldn't have voted for either of them, BUT I will admit I've changed the station the few times I've heard Fantasia, and though I do find her boring, I haven't changed the station on Kelly Clarkson.

The big problem is, the fans are fickal (?) , and I  think, just a personal opinion ( one of my kid's and husbands favorite shows, give me time on MSN hehe) that the fans will only give you so much time before they finally say ENOUGH with the nasally voice ( for my that's tends to be grating ), caboret ( I could go to Kareoke night or wedding reception for that ) and boring ( you lose the audience rather quickly) the entertainment industry is dog eat dog, and it really takes a special talent to get on top and stay there, or to be around years from now, like them or not The Rolling Stones are still going strong(waiting to see them come on stage with their walkers soon ) Elvis even dead, well you'd have to be living on Mars not to have heard at least ONE of his songs and the Beetles are the same, so I think if they want to be in the industry, you have to ask, what did they have ? What made these people special ? Good Management, producing one helluva PR team, all of the above ?

Like I said just a thought, I still think its a glorified talent contest though.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last