Message Boards

Topic : 03/01 Sudden Fame

Number of Replies: 128
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 23, 2007, 02:16:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Do you wish the whole world knew your name? Do you wonder how it would feel to stroll down the red carpet or have the paparazzi waiting for you as you walked out of a restaurant? Jennifer recently auditioned for American Idol, but didn’t make the final cut to go to Hollywood. She thinks about her failed performance every day, and says Simon Cowell crushed her dreams. Will she be able to regain her confidence when she performs on the show? Then, Elizabeth says she’s determined to make her 9-year-old daughter famous. Her sister, Priscilla, says her niece is too heavy and doesn’t have the talent to make it. Is Elizabeth setting her daughter up for failure, or should Priscilla mind her own business? Plus, Taylor Hicks went from virtual obscurity to instant fame …all with the help of 64 million American Idol viewers. Don’t miss Taylor’s riveting performance, talk about the show here!

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 28, 2007, 11:53 am CST

Famous? Maybe a little

I wouldn't mind being known, at least a little.  I certainly wouldn't want to be famous like one of those American Idol contestants, that would be too much for me to handle, I think.  I'd prefer to be known as a writer, perhaps known among writer's groups and etc.  I am working on a book of poetry that I hope to publish one day.  And that would be the extent of my wanting to be famous.  A book signing or two wouldn't be bad, provided my hand can stand it!

February 28, 2007, 1:59 pm CST

American Idol sucks...

I don't think the judges even know talent...the runners up are more famous than the actual winners- Jen Hudson won an Oscar, and Fantasia?...Nada.  Even Kelly Clarkson is dull and overdone.  BTW...everyone does R&B/Pop commercialized crap, it's actually refreshing to hear a non obvious song (when one of them did Amos Lee's "Arms of a Woman").  If they can make a song like that sound good (and not break into some warbeling trite solo at the end), that's talent.

February 28, 2007, 10:38 pm CST

03/01 Sudden Fame

The AI girl....Come ON you must have known how cruel Simon can be!

March 1, 2007, 4:51 am CST

03/01 Sudden Fame

Quote From: penny_lady

One would think she would know,

but really, she was probably like so many going in for the auditions, abosolutly 100% sure that THEY would be the next American Idol, then they opened their mouths I mean you don't even have to watch the show to know what Simon is all about ( I agree he can be cruel, but I do like the fact that he dosen't beat around the bush, or sugarcoat the truth he tells it like it is).

Simon- yeah a jerk at times, outspoken, tell it like it is

Paula- (drives me NUTS) sweet, nicey nice , wants everyone to like her says nothing mean

Randy- holds the middle ground, like Simon he'll tell you the truth but is much more tactful about it.

Sorry guys, but your Mom and family are supposed to boost you up and tell you how wonderful you are then reality rears its ugly head.

March 1, 2007, 5:06 am CST

Oh to be humble !

I really wish Elizabeth would listen to wise people like Rona Elliot and Dr.Phil.  Also , i hope she swallows her sassy attitude and spend more time with her other children, who need her time, love and care too.   Lory(Maria3255).

March 1, 2007, 5:40 am CST

I agree.

Quote From: penny_lady

Yes, I agree with you.  Simon criticizes way too much!!!!  He needs to lighten up!!!!

March 1, 2007, 6:04 am CST

Well said.

Quote From: ramair

Someitimes I wonder if Simon Cowell really knows what he's doing. Yes, he rejects the ones whose "singing" I have to mute. Some of their "voices" are worse than fingernails on a blackboard. But, he passed up three auditioners I thought were really good. They remembered the words and sang them clearly. And, stayed in tune and on key. So what if they sounded a bit boring, caboret, or nasal. They could've worked on their delivery during the competition. BTW, did you know Kelly Clarkson wasn't his "pick" but the wiewers overruled him. And, I hear her on the radio all the time. But, his "pick" Fantasia Berrino, never. If I did, I'd change the station.

Well said.  I agree with you. 

March 1, 2007, 6:32 am CST

american idol

i haven't seen the show as yet but i was reading the summaries and i was appauled at the first woman on the show

what did she expect out of trying for american idol? i am sure there was a LOT of people showing up JUST to try out and i have seen the show and some of those trying out are crap and a lot just don' t have it talent wise.

no offence but  ppl like paula abul and simon cowel probably KNOW talent when they hear it and probably won't hesitate to tell some one to take a hike if they feel they are not up to big leauges.

it's one thing to sing for friends and family and it's another to  have enough talent to make it in hollywood

March 1, 2007, 6:52 am CST

Not All the Judges' Fault

Quote From: gwarrior6

I don't think the judges even know talent...the runners up are more famous than the actual winners- Jen Hudson won an Oscar, and Fantasia?...Nada.  Even Kelly Clarkson is dull and overdone.  BTW...everyone does R&B/Pop commercialized crap, it's actually refreshing to hear a non obvious song (when one of them did Amos Lee's "Arms of a Woman").  If they can make a song like that sound good (and not break into some warbeling trite solo at the end), that's talent.

I can't stand AI, either; it's even worn thin on my 11-y/o!

However, don't the viewers have a significant say in who moves on & actually wins the thing? And, success of the runners-up vs. that of the winners is not a 100% proposition...I'll take the Jen (who actually was eliminated well before the final) over Fantasia and the Clay over Ruben examples, but who remembers Justin (Season 1) or Diana (I think that was the name of the runner-up the year Fantasia won)?

Still, to all you wannabees out there, if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen!

March 1, 2007, 7:14 am CST

Hix and wanta be stars

This show was so trivial compared to the blind/deaf triplets.  They need to do the mom's care taking job for 3 days  to put them back  into the real world.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last