Message Boards

Topic : 03/01 Sudden Fame

Number of Replies: 128
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 23, 2007, 02:16:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Do you wish the whole world knew your name? Do you wonder how it would feel to stroll down the red carpet or have the paparazzi waiting for you as you walked out of a restaurant? Jennifer recently auditioned for American Idol, but didn’t make the final cut to go to Hollywood. She thinks about her failed performance every day, and says Simon Cowell crushed her dreams. Will she be able to regain her confidence when she performs on the show? Then, Elizabeth says she’s determined to make her 9-year-old daughter famous. Her sister, Priscilla, says her niece is too heavy and doesn’t have the talent to make it. Is Elizabeth setting her daughter up for failure, or should Priscilla mind her own business? Plus, Taylor Hicks went from virtual obscurity to instant fame …all with the help of 64 million American Idol viewers. Don’t miss Taylor’s riveting performance, talk about the show here!

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 1, 2007, 12:57 pm CST

Taylor

Quote From: kathiewil

Thank You for having Taylor on....this is making my day....incredible!!

He didn't sound any better than the girl singing "Amazing Grace."  The critic was right when she said the only think he has going for him is charisma. He will never make it as a singer.

March 1, 2007, 1:25 pm CST

Fist Few Mins of the show

Dr. Pil said it " Get Over It"  I was backing him 100% until he said that he's have her come out and sing towards the end of the show!!  What was HE thinking !  Now she's going to whin more !

And the Mom of the little girl needs to let her be a little girl !  She is a cute thing, but she can't sing for God's sake !  She has over kids and needs to be a Mom !  Don't live her dreams that she didn't make it as a star !!  How much $ does this woman have that she can put together a medical team for a child?  Maybe she needs them for herself to checked out in the head !

March 1, 2007, 1:26 pm CST

03/01 Sudden Fame

I wish the people who audition for "American Idol" would get a grip! So this lady didn't make it, BIG DEAL!! Boo hoo hoo!!!  The judges didn't candycoat their words to her-BOO HOO HOO!!!  She's supposed to be a teacher, an educator!!  What kind of example is this woman setting for her students by appearing on national TV and whinning about how perfect strangers didn't talk nicely to her! Oh my God!!!  She's only teaching her students to cry and whine about things that don't go their way!  LIfe ain't easy, lady, or haven't you noticed that yet? Did Mommy and Daddy sugarcoat your life's path for you until you're so spoiled and thin-skinned you can't take criticism? Come on! GROW UP!!! If you HAD made it and became an American Idol, do you really think the people who don't like you you are going to be saying so in nice words? You can't take this now, you sure as hell wouldn't have been able to take the criticism later on.  You should thank GOD you didn't make it because you would have been a basket case had you been allowed to go on!

March 1, 2007, 1:55 pm CST

A Message from Jennifer

First of all, I'm the Jennifer who is shown on today's show. I had decided not to post and get involved in this discussion, but I just feel led to at least make this post.   I just feel like a few things need to be explained. To start it off, I want to make it clear that I do not regret going on the Dr. Phil show. The show was extremely nice and respectful to me, and they truly treated me like a queen while I was there. I will be forever grateful for the opportunity they allowed me.   I signed up for two Dr. Phil shows: "Want Second Chance at Dream?" and "Embarassing Moment Caught on Tape?" I didn't even know the show I was on was geared towards people who wanted to become famous until I was actually on stage filming with Dr. Phil. I don't want that statement to come out sounding like I am complaining, though, because I definitely know the show didn't try to do anything harmful by "casting" me for a different show than I signed for. Like I said, I am very grateful for the opportunity.   I do not want to become "famous." I want to be a singer...and if God allows me to become "famous" through singing, then so be it. There is a really big difference. I didn't appear on the show to say "Here I am...Make Me Famous!" I appeared on the show for two reasons only: to tell about my experience on American Idol and to sing.   So about American Idol....it was NOT a bad experience for me. It was actually pretty good up until the end of the 4th round, where I was cut...and even then it wasn't DEVESTATING, just, of course, not how I would have liked it to have gone.   If you have never made it to at least the second round of American Idol, you don't completely understand how the process works. The judges are actually round 4. You have to pass many interviews and many auditions before you get to the judges. The producers have lots of time to decide exactly what they are going to do with you, and a lot of the stuff is extrememly scripted...but hey, that's TV. In the interviews, if they hear you say one thing that they think they can take and run with, they will. But that's TV, too. In my interview, I was asked: Who is your favorite singer? I answered Paula Abdul. Who is your American Idol? Paula Abdul. Then on down the line I was asked to tell about something I have done that sets me apart from others...something no one else has done. I mentioned that I had actually been on a TV show with Paula Abdul prior to auditioning for American Idol. Without meaning to, I was labeled the "Paula Abdul Girl." There were many, many other stories I told them, but, for obvious reasons, that one stuck out to them.   I was NEVER, EVER upset because I didn't MAKE American Idol. I was upset at what happened at my round 4 audition. When I walked in, Simon point blanked asked me, "So I hear you are obsessed with Paula Abdul?" I remember looking at him with this really confused expression, because I honestly couldn't think of anything I had said or done to imply I was obsessed with anyone. I explained to Simon, in a nice, calm manner, that I was actually just a fan and would never be the type of person to be obsessed with anyone. That was cleared and we moved on. Like many of you have said, I "should have known how he was." To make it clear...I do know how he is. I've seen the show for all 5.5 seasons now, and I have also seen it live in Hollywood. I just wanted my chance to state for the record that I am not obsessed with anyone, so that is one reason I contacted Dr. Phil. I don't HATE Simon or hold anything against him. True, I do wish he wouldn't have tried to make it seem like I was obsessed with someone, but like I keep saying, that's TV, too. The other part I was upset over is that I didn't get to sing the song I had prepared. I prepared "Part Time Lover," by Stevie Wonder, along with a few others. When I walked into the round 4 audition room...on camera, I was asked to sing "Can't Get You Out of My Head," by Kylie Minogue. At the time, I didn't know the song, so I was basically in a "sink or swim" situation. I decided to tempt the song, but because I only knew two lines and didn't know the actual tune, Simon's critique was, well, harsh. If you watched the Birmingham episode, I was shown in a red shirt saying, "Thank you very much. Bye." I did not cuss, cry, or scream. I actually walked out of the room, hugged Ryan, and looked into the camera and said, "I'm from a really small town...I'm just glad I had this opportunity." I was NEVER mad or angry at Simon or American Idol, and I still continue to watch the show every night it is on. My favorite judges? Paula AND Simon. I also contacted Dr. Phil because I wanted my fair chance to sing a song I do knew and was prepared for.   The last part I was upset over is that Paula was not at auditions that day in Birmingham...not upset at Paula herself, just the disappointment of her not being there. She had a family event back home in California. I had really gotten my hopes up to sing for my favorite singer, so that just added to the disappointment.   So I contacted the Dr. Phil show to tell my American Idol story and to get to sing in Hollywood. Never once did I mean to imply to anyone that I desired fame and would stop at nothing to get it.   But, to end this, I need to mention again that I am very grateful to the Dr. Phil show for allowing me the wonderful opportunity to be a guest on his show. If I had to do it all over again, I would....except this time I would be sure to mention that I don't "desire fame," but simply would love to be a singer...whether that be on TV or at a small event in my hometown.   But anyway, to completely humble myself, thank you all for reading. I wish you all success in whatever you do. Be an American Idol at whatever that is - whether it be an American Idol teacher, and American Idol doctor, and American Idol Mom and Dad...the list goes on. As for me, I am very content in being an American Idol teacher right now. I have 21 little students and a whole school full of people who are very excited to hear me sing on today's show...and THAT'S what matters most in life. 100 years from now it will not matter whether I made American Idol or not, whether I sang a song I prepared or not, or whether I was on a talk show or not....it will matter that I was important in the life of a child.   God bless you all.

March 1, 2007, 2:01 pm CST

A Message from Jennifer

Quote From: lilly_sneech07

I wish the people who audition for "American Idol" would get a grip! So this lady didn't make it, BIG DEAL!! Boo hoo hoo!!!  The judges didn't candycoat their words to her-BOO HOO HOO!!!  She's supposed to be a teacher, an educator!!  What kind of example is this woman setting for her students by appearing on national TV and whinning about how perfect strangers didn't talk nicely to her! Oh my God!!!  She's only teaching her students to cry and whine about things that don't go their way!  LIfe ain't easy, lady, or haven't you noticed that yet? Did Mommy and Daddy sugarcoat your life's path for you until you're so spoiled and thin-skinned you can't take criticism? Come on! GROW UP!!! If you HAD made it and became an American Idol, do you really think the people who don't like you you are going to be saying so in nice words? You can't take this now, you sure as hell wouldn't have been able to take the criticism later on.  You should thank GOD you didn't make it because you would have been a basket case had you been allowed to go on!
First of all, I'm the Jennifer who is shown on today's show. I had decided not to post and get involved in this discussion, but I just feel led to at least make this post.   I just feel like a few things need to be explained. To start it off, I want to make it clear that I do not regret going on the Dr. Phil show. The show was extremely nice and respectful to me, and they truly treated me like a queen while I was there. I will be forever grateful for the opportunity they allowed me.   I signed up for two Dr. Phil shows: "Want Second Chance at Dream?" and "Embarassing Moment Caught on Tape?" I didn't even know the show I was on was geared towards people who wanted to become famous until I was actually on stage filming with Dr. Phil. I don't want that statement to come out sounding like I am complaining, though, because I definitely know the show didn't try to do anything harmful by "casting" me for a different show than I signed for. Like I said, I am very grateful for the opportunity.   I do not want to become "famous." I want to be a singer...and if God allows me to become "famous" through singing, then so be it. There is a really big difference. I didn't appear on the show to say "Here I am...Make Me Famous!" I appeared on the show for two reasons only: to tell about my experience on American Idol and to sing.   So about American Idol....it was NOT a bad experience for me. It was actually pretty good up until the end of the 4th round, where I was cut...and even then it wasn't DEVESTATING, just, of course, not how I would have liked it to have gone.   If you have never made it to at least the second round of American Idol, you don't completely understand how the process works. The judges are actually round 4. You have to pass many interviews and many auditions before you get to the judges. The producers have lots of time to decide exactly what they are going to do with you, and a lot of the stuff is extrememly scripted...but hey, that's TV. In the interviews, if they hear you say one thing that they think they can take and run with, they will. But that's TV, too. In my interview, I was asked: Who is your favorite singer? I answered Paula Abdul. Who is your American Idol? Paula Abdul. Then on down the line I was asked to tell about something I have done that sets me apart from others...something no one else has done. I mentioned that I had actually been on a TV show with Paula Abdul prior to auditioning for American Idol. Without meaning to, I was labeled the "Paula Abdul Girl." There were many, many other stories I told them, but, for obvious reasons, that one stuck out to them.   I was NEVER, EVER upset because I didn't MAKE American Idol. I was upset at what happened at my round 4 audition. When I walked in, Simon point blanked asked me, "So I hear you are obsessed with Paula Abdul?" I remember looking at him with this really confused expression, because I honestly couldn't think of anything I had said or done to imply I was obsessed with anyone. I explained to Simon, in a nice, calm manner, that I was actually just a fan and would never be the type of person to be obsessed with anyone. That was cleared and we moved on. Like many of you have said, I "should have known how he was." To make it clear...I do know how he is. I've seen the show for all 5.5 seasons now, and I have also seen it live in Hollywood. I just wanted my chance to state for the record that I am not obsessed with anyone, so that is one reason I contacted Dr. Phil. I don't HATE Simon or hold anything against him. True, I do wish he wouldn't have tried to make it seem like I was obsessed with someone, but like I keep saying, that's TV, too. The other part I was upset over is that I didn't get to sing the song I had prepared. I prepared "Part Time Lover," by Stevie Wonder, along with a few others. When I walked into the round 4 audition room...on camera, I was asked to sing "Can't Get You Out of My Head," by Kylie Minogue. At the time, I didn't know the song, so I was basically in a "sink or swim" situation. I decided to tempt the song, but because I only knew two lines and didn't know the actual tune, Simon's critique was, well, harsh. If you watched the Birmingham episode, I was shown in a red shirt saying, "Thank you very much. Bye." I did not cuss, cry, or scream. I actually walked out of the room, hugged Ryan, and looked into the camera and said, "I'm from a really small town...I'm just glad I had this opportunity." I was NEVER mad or angry at Simon or American Idol, and I still continue to watch the show every night it is on. My favorite judges? Paula AND Simon. I also contacted Dr. Phil because I wanted my fair chance to sing a song I do knew and was prepared for.   The last part I was upset over is that Paula was not at auditions that day in Birmingham...not upset at Paula herself, just the disappointment of her not being there. She had a family event back home in California. I had really gotten my hopes up to sing for my favorite singer, so that just added to the disappointment.   So I contacted the Dr. Phil show to tell my American Idol story and to get to sing in Hollywood. Never once did I mean to imply to anyone that I desired fame and would stop at nothing to get it.   But, to end this, I need to mention again that I am very grateful to the Dr. Phil show for allowing me the wonderful opportunity to be a guest on his show. If I had to do it all over again, I would....except this time I would be sure to mention that I don't "desire fame," but simply would love to be a singer...whether that be on TV or at a small event in my hometown.   But anyway, to completely humble myself, thank you all for reading. I wish you all success in whatever you do. Be an American Idol at whatever that is - whether it be an American Idol teacher, and American Idol doctor, and American Idol Mom and Dad...the list goes on. As for me, I am very content in being an American Idol teacher right now. I have 21 little students and a whole school full of people who are very excited to hear me sing on today's show...and THAT'S what matters most in life. 100 years from now it will not matter whether I made American Idol or not, whether I sang a song I prepared or not, or whether I was on a talk show or not....it will matter that I was important in the life of a child.   God bless you all.

March 1, 2007, 2:02 pm CST

Taylor Hicks

I enjoy watching Taylor perform.  No doubt that he has charisma - I think he is probably a sincerely nice guy!  Will he be coming to Austin, TX for a performance?

March 1, 2007, 2:06 pm CST

she needs perspective

That American Idol reject who was boohooing about her mom using up all her sick days needs to put things in perspective. People lose loved ones, they lose their homes to hurricanes, etc. She really ought to feel very silly for crying on national television because she was told by Simon Cowell she has no talent. PATHETIC. There is something wrong with people in this country.

March 1, 2007, 2:12 pm CST

Child Star ????

I am not sure where to start.

Your nine year old child my be the next singer of the world.  Have you got a singing coach for her. What about an instrument that would add to her over all being? Has she taken dance lessons? I believe that anything beyond only one talent is sure to be a plus.  Maybe doing a few commercials would help with exposer to any one that might be able to help advance her Carree.

I know that you have three other children.  Is it possible that one of them might also have some talent since I believe it is possible that if you have one with talent maybe others also have as much talent as your 9 year old.  There are many family groups in the entertainment industry.

You might think about that.

Good luck to you and your family.

March 1, 2007, 2:13 pm CST

03/01 Sudden Fame

Quote From: cartera45

He didn't sound any better than the girl singing "Amazing Grace."  The critic was right when she said the only think he has going for him is charisma. He will never make it as a singer.

Um... he already has made it as a singer. Where have you been? Taylor Hick's charisma is part of his overall talent- but he certainly wouldn't have made it if he couldn't sing. The critic didn't say it was all he has going for him.

March 1, 2007, 2:23 pm CST

American Idol

I spent a year in Afghanistan and was pinned down, outnumbered and surround for 4.5 hours.  To hear someone crying about the pain of going through American Idol and getting rejected makes me sick.  There are people out there with real problems that need help a lot more than this lady does.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last