Message Boards

Topic : 03/01 Sudden Fame

Number of Replies: 128
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 23, 2007, 02:16:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Do you wish the whole world knew your name? Do you wonder how it would feel to stroll down the red carpet or have the paparazzi waiting for you as you walked out of a restaurant? Jennifer recently auditioned for American Idol, but didn’t make the final cut to go to Hollywood. She thinks about her failed performance every day, and says Simon Cowell crushed her dreams. Will she be able to regain her confidence when she performs on the show? Then, Elizabeth says she’s determined to make her 9-year-old daughter famous. Her sister, Priscilla, says her niece is too heavy and doesn’t have the talent to make it. Is Elizabeth setting her daughter up for failure, or should Priscilla mind her own business? Plus, Taylor Hicks went from virtual obscurity to instant fame …all with the help of 64 million American Idol viewers. Don’t miss Taylor’s riveting performance, talk about the show here!

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 23, 2007, 4:00 pm CST

03/01 Sudden Fame

I don't think I'd ever want to be famous...i live in a fairly small town and have to deal with the "big fish in the small pond" thing EVERYDAY...I'll run into 10 people I know who want to stop and chat and I generally don't mind...but if it's just not my day  and i have to go to the store... I'm ducking down isles and stuff...and these are people I know and for the most part like...i can't even imagine if I was just being followed around by people I don't know...nope I lovemy privacy too  much

February 24, 2007, 4:22 am CST

yes yes yes

I can't wait to see Taylor Hicks on the show. I'm not a huge fan but a good fan.. My mom loves him.. hahaha

February 24, 2007, 7:04 am CST

Not for everybody

Instant fame and  all of the expectations that come with it are not good for a lot of people. I think they have to be conditioned on what to expect so that they don't turn to drugs and alcohol and just plain acting out behavior. Instant fame makes you feel like you belong to everyone else and it takes a strong and/or mature person to keep from going off the deep end and not lose who they are. Like I said, it's not for everybody. I do love the Taylor Hicks we see  and hope he stays on the right path. Too many people are out there looking at these potential or newly famed stars and want a "piece of the action", usually money motivated. The entertainment industry will chew you up and spit you out if you let them. And tabloids just look for the "dirt" in their lives. If they don't find any...they usually make it up. Anyway, they don't care for these people as human beings but as 'cash cows'.                                                            Cindy

February 24, 2007, 7:38 am CST

Enpower your daughter

Will it make a difference in the way you will look at your daughter if she is not famous?. she will try so hard for u  to make you happy, and   but she will be emotionally wrecked if she doesn t succeed. empower your girl, look into her eyes and tell her how much u love her as she is, give her a big hug once in a while, yell her name in a cheerful way when she comes back from school so that she remembers when alone that she  is loved by you. what have you done to make her succeed. what academic background is needed. organise family parties for her to perform, nurture the dream in secret and load it with fun . record her best shot, give her healthy food and  walk with her if she needs to lose weight. take her to the beauty shop, sometimes a haircut can make a huge difference .but without reminding her about the fame thing. Dreams/wishes are like candles they like it subtle!In a hundred years, she may forget about the dream but will always remember what a great mother u were .

February 24, 2007, 8:07 am CST

lucky you

Quote From: faeryedark

I don't think I'd ever want to be famous...i live in a fairly small town and have to deal with the "big fish in the small pond" thing EVERYDAY...I'll run into 10 people I know who want to stop and chat and I generally don't mind...but if it's just not my day  and i have to go to the store... I'm ducking down isles and stuff...and these are people I know and for the most part like...i can't even imagine if I was just being followed around by people I don't know...nope I lovemy privacy too  much

I do really envy you, the least you expect, the more enjoyable your life is . I wish someone taught me to be feel like you do !

yet, My dream of fame has never been  for me .It is a long cherished dream to transform an African tale into a cartoon, I have come from  Africa with my clay doll to meet Dr phil experts, to perform infront of Oprah  .the African Secret, The Arabian aliens .the Anti racial tree..

My dreams vessel  is shipwreck, I feel low  because I took  a saying literally `` reach for the stars``the sky is the limit``  Now is time I buried my claygirl , the ceremony has started, don t you hear the drums??

keep happy

February 24, 2007, 9:27 am CST

Dr Phil

I have been wanting to meet you, Oprah,  and Ruben for a long time and all ON THE SAME STAGE  .....  last year I added  Taylor to that list ..... I just finished watching the film on " The Secret " and one of the suggestions was to make a " Vision Board " of all the things a person wants to do or accomplish in their lives ...... DR PHIL CAN YOU GUESS WHAT ONE OF MY VISIONS WOULD BE?   

Niki

February 24, 2007, 10:16 am CST

03/01 Sudden Fame

Okay, the American Idol thing, Simon Cowell wouldn't be where he is today by just representing ANYONE off the streets, he and Randy know what they are doing, and have their finger on the pulse of the music industry, Simon just tends to tell it like it is, no beating around the bush or trying to be nice about it giving false hope.  But the dream wasn't that strong if a total stranger can break you, so you're not star material, why not try producing, or managing behind the scenes ? What about acting ?  American Idol, Canadian Idol, whatever, just glorified talent shows.

Trying to live vicariously through your child ? I never did understand that, if the child is truly that talented well it will happen maybe when the child is older and able to make a CHOICE about what he/she wants to do.  These type of parents have to understand that the competition is FIERCE, and yes there are Simon Cowells in the movie industry, is Mom or the child able and willing to deal with that ?  The aunt should just stay out of it unless there is abuse going on.

One thing about any aspect of the entertainment industry, if you have thin skin, stay the hell out of there, really because look at what the media is doing to Anna Nicole Smith, the woman's dead , and everytime a star does something (Britany shaving her head, Paris drinking and driving ) it is up for public opinion and media scrutiny true or not, fame is NOT for the faint of heart.

February 24, 2007, 10:50 am CST

I can't wait either!

I can't wait to see Taylor Hicks on Dr. Phil.  If anyone deserves 'sudden fame,' it would be him!  He's such a awesome performer and a really great guy!

February 24, 2007, 8:14 pm CST

03/01 Sudden Fame

Quote From: samiramisf

I do really envy you, the least you expect, the more enjoyable your life is . I wish someone taught me to be feel like you do !

yet, My dream of fame has never been  for me .It is a long cherished dream to transform an African tale into a cartoon, I have come from  Africa with my clay doll to meet Dr phil experts, to perform infront of Oprah  .the African Secret, The Arabian aliens .the Anti racial tree..

My dreams vessel  is shipwreck, I feel low  because I took  a saying literally  reach for the starsthe sky is the limit  Now is time I buried my claygirl , the ceremony has started, don t you hear the drums??

keep happy

I will... thank you! I've learned that the people who generally make the most difference in this world are not the famous or necessarily the rich but the mentors and the organ donors, and people like Rosa Parks, and Mother Teresa..people who may have become famous but only after doing what they believed in and felt was right.

February 25, 2007, 1:43 pm CST

03/01 Sudden Fame

Quote From: samiramisf

My dreams vessel  is shipwreck, I feel low  because I took  a saying literally  reach for the starsthe sky is the limit  Now is time I buried my claygirl , the ceremony has started, don t you hear the drums??

keep happy

Have you considered Public Access television ?  Have you contacted any independant producers ? 

There are ways to get your message ( which by the way is a good one ) out there, you can reach for the stars, but sometimes it just takes longer to get to them.

The creator of Barney and friends was a stay home mom who hit on a great idea, J.K Rowling was a single Mom barely making ends meet, Stephan King was broke, Dr. Phil; and Oprah both came from nothing, where are these people now ?

What do they have in common, they DIDN'T give up on their dreams, they didn't bury thier hopes and desires, they reached for the stars, and it never occurred to them that there were limits, that's why they are successful.

Besides, success is realtive anyway.  There are some who feel that success comes from having food clothing shelter and internet access as success, there are those who think of raising their kids to be healthy, happy adults as success, being able to afford the big house or the Lexus, whatever makes YOU happy is success.

Don't give up, that's how dreams are broken, and that causes regret and misery, might take some legwork, but that's where success comes from, working hard and taking pride in what you are doing.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last