Message Boards

Topic : 03/08 The Scott Peterson Jurors

Number of Replies: 113
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 02, 2007, 12:03:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The 2002 Christmas Eve disappearance of Laci Peterson and her unborn son, Conner, caught the attention of the nation and started a massive search for the beautiful pregnant wife. But as the case unfolded, the obsession with this story turned into outrage. Ultimately, 12 jurors not only found Scott Peterson guilty of killing his wife and his unborn child, they unanimously voted that he be put to death by lethal injection. For nearly six months the jurors submersed themselves in a case of cold-blooded murder; and now, in a daytime exclusive, they join Dr. Phil to tell their incredible story. The graphic photos shown in court of what was left of Laci and her unborn child, Conner, are so haunting that they have been forever sealed -- never to be shown to the public. Could what the jurors saw have been traumatic enough to scar them forever? Then, one of these jurors did the unimaginable. After sentencing Scott Peterson to death, she became his pen pal. Find out what his letters revealed to her.  Next, after taking six months away from their lives for the trial, some of the jurors emerged only to face death threats. One received a menacing letter which he never opened. Will he break the seal for Dr. Phil? Join the discussion!

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 4, 2007, 1:43 pm CST

Scott Peterson and the jurors

How can it be true that anyone would send death threats to jurors who were charged with performing their duty as citizens?  This is inconceivable!

As far as the juror who is now Peterson's "pen pal"...this is just simply crazy! 

It seems that all of these people cannot walk away from this horror. 

My question is:  "How can this happen?"  "What motivates either of these behavioral inconsistencies?"

March 4, 2007, 4:09 pm CST

the jurors are tramautized.... still !!

Quote From: jade4953

How can it be true that anyone would send death threats to jurors who were charged with performing their duty as citizens?  This is inconceivable!

As far as the juror who is now Peterson's "pen pal"...this is just simply crazy! 

It seems that all of these people cannot walk away from this horror. 

My question is:  "How can this happen?"  "What motivates either of these behavioral inconsistencies?"

I attended the taping of this show !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was positively riveting, and heart-breaking too. These jurors went through so much - and once the trial ended, they were basically left there, all on their own, to cope and come to terms with the awful, horrific things they'd been through.

The death threat is TRUE --- Dr Phil proves it on the show. (Don't want to spoil anything so you'll just have to watch and see.... but trust me.)

the reason they can't  "walk away from this horror" is because they had to look at pictures that an average "normal" person couldn't even IMAGINE. They had to listen to testimony that would be unthinkable to the average person. They showed dignity and strength, as well as discretion, and they deserved AT THE VERY LEAST to have the courts provide them with professional help (ie: psychologists, counsellors or w.h.y.) to help them process everything and get back to their lives.

March 4, 2007, 4:09 pm CST

Let Laci and Connor rest in peace

Here we go again.  Giving Scott Peterson more TV time.  And it's even sader for Laci's family.  I think they have paid the price of the media and more.  If these jurors need to talk about their feelings and get help for what they went through with the trail and the publicity then let them do that in private and let this family rest in peace and be thankful that Scott will not see anything outside of prison.

March 5, 2007, 1:10 am CST

Don't forget...

I live about 2 miles from where Laci was probably killed by her husband...her home.

Regardless of whether or not we stop talking about this, regardless of whether or not we stop giving it TV air time, the family will not rest in peace because their loved ones have been ruthlessly slaughtered by someone they thought they knew and could trust.  Yes, they may heal over time, but no amount of time, no amount of silence, will bring Lacy and her baby back.

I believe it's good to talk about this because it was believed that Laci and Scott had a good marriage.  It should open our eyes to the fact that we don't always know what is really going on behind closed doors and having an open line of communication among family and friends is always a necessity.

We should never forget what Scott did to Laci, and we should never forget that it could be happening to our friend, our family member, or us, next.  I am not saying we should live in paranoia and fear.  I am just saying to keep aware and keep informed, and never believe it only happens to someone else.

March 5, 2007, 8:22 am CST

I can't believe that I didn't consider what the jurors must have endured.

Quote From: framarob

I attended the taping of this show !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was positively riveting, and heart-breaking too. These jurors went through so much - and once the trial ended, they were basically left there, all on their own, to cope and come to terms with the awful, horrific things they'd been through.

The death threat is TRUE --- Dr Phil proves it on the show. (Don't want to spoil anything so you'll just have to watch and see.... but trust me.)

the reason they can't  "walk away from this horror" is because they had to look at pictures that an average "normal" person couldn't even IMAGINE. They had to listen to testimony that would be unthinkable to the average person. They showed dignity and strength, as well as discretion, and they deserved AT THE VERY LEAST to have the courts provide them with professional help (ie: psychologists, counsellors or w.h.y.) to help them process everything and get back to their lives.

I am ashamed to say that I never thought about the jurors. I know it must have been very difficult. I can understand that a human being can't go through something like that and just walk away after it's over and forget all about it. It was so sad for ME just watching it on the news and knowing what happened. I hope all of you jurors can get the help you may need . I apologize that I didn't think of ya'll.

March 5, 2007, 9:53 am CST

Knowledge is important to personal well being

Quote From: dlervig

Here we go again.  Giving Scott Peterson more TV time.  And it's even sader for Laci's family.  I think they have paid the price of the media and more.  If these jurors need to talk about their feelings and get help for what they went through with the trail and the publicity then let them do that in private and let this family rest in peace and be thankful that Scott will not see anything outside of prison.
 This is not about giving Scott Peterson more TV time. How many people really think about how jurors are affected by the cases they are involved in?

And, how many times has a horrific crime occurred with Everyone who knew the perpetrator saying things like "never would have expected this" or "he was such a nice, helpful person" or "he was such a quiet, well-behaved guy".?

I'm living in the middle of a situation like that right now. My now mid-20's stepson was very well behaved while I was dating his father. Very intelligent and doing well in college. 3 months after our marriage, he started acting out and it hasn't stopped in past 4 years. He is now in college #8, owes money all over the place, is able to charm his way into more loans ($7000.00 worth of jewelry despite bad credit reports and no job! 2 years ago), has ex girlfriend who suggested to me that I read all the books written about Scott Peterson as "he has the same behaviors" - so I did. Read the books written by Scott's sister, Lacy's mother, Dr Keith Ablow, etc. And I found my stepson's journals to read - they are full of thoughts about how myself and my adult children should be dead - but also he wrote that his parents and himself should die. He is smart enough to have written how dysfunctional his family was and still is. He was raised an only child - born one year after his 2 1/2 year old brother died from being run over by the family car. He wrote that he was glad his brother had died and that he had his parents all to himself. His ex-girlfriend is correct. He has many of the same behaviors and his mother and father raised him similiar to how Scott's mother and stepfather parented Scott.

My stepson has no conscience and no empathy for others. He now has a criminal record, but will eventually  get smarter and not get caught. He did marry a girl he met on the internet - good thing she did not become pregnant! She divorced him after 20 months of marriage as she was working 2 jobs to support them and he wouldn't even pick up his dirty dishes in the apt. She did choose to believe all his lies and would not listen to those of us who tried to tell her about him, so I don't feel sorry for her experience. Just hope she learned from it. 

He is a Canadian citizen but INS won't pull his green card. The man I soke with said my stepson  has the same right to not pay his bills & to commit crimes as we American citizens do. He was convicted of a Felony Oct 2005. I sent those court documents to INS but nothing has happened. Probably because the sentence is "deferrred" while he is on probation & pays restitution ($50/month for $3600 owed). Once he has completed that, he is eligible to request that his court record on this case be expunged (1st felony offense).

He has gotten close to 50k of US college financial aid. I doubt he will ever pay it back. He went from studying to be electrical engineer technologist to electrical engineer and is now  a Math major. His women professors are now trying to help him get a teaching job at another college. I shudder at the thought of him taking advantage of an impressionable freshman girl on campus. Just hope if anyone marries him again, that person will not want to have children. There is no way he will compete with a child for his parents attention. His mother still gets his father to give their son thousands of dollars every year (I make over 50k a year and my husband earns less than 15k/year!) I put my foot down about paying for the lawyer - so his mother got her brother to give him over $3000 for that expense.

I fully expect to pick up a newspaper, turn on the radio or TV and hear that he has been arrested for "alledgedlly" murdering someone. It would also not surprise me if he started doing something like the Unabomber did.

As for me? I am filing for divorce on our 4th wedding anniversary next month. Have asked, requested, begged, pleaded with my husband to go to couples counseling with me. He knows what his son is - he listed his son's behaviours and stated that they matched the criteria for Anti-Social Personality Disorder (sociopath/psycopath in laymen's language). yet he won't ever say no to his son or hold him responsible for his actions. (My husband says it is the college's fault my stepson committed grand larceny. My husband's ex told me it was my fault as I wouldn't let my husband support his son and daughter-in-law. She also threatened to "come down there and fix you!" which sounds like a threat to me. She lives in Montreal.) I suspect I could get rich writing a soap opera based on these 3 people and their actions over the past 6 years. Oh yes, the daughter in law also - she was quite a character, always accusing others of ruining her life, her jobs, etc.

March 5, 2007, 4:41 pm CST

03/08 The Scott Peterson Jurors

Quote From: rosie52

I am ashamed to say that I never thought about the jurors. I know it must have been very difficult. I can understand that a human being can't go through something like that and just walk away after it's over and forget all about it. It was so sad for ME just watching it on the news and knowing what happened. I hope all of you jurors can get the help you may need . I apologize that I didn't think of ya'll.
It's just not something people really think of, because you don't see the jurors on TV...it's almost like they don't exist sometimes. I was in a jury selection process for a case of a 13 year old boy who was beaten and molested by his step father. I wasn't chosen but they invited us all to stay if we wanted and sit in the courtroom. I couldn't do it. I didn't want to hear the testimony of a boy talk about being abused in horrid ways by someone he should have been able to trust and I felt sorry for those jurors who were picked...they probably will never forget that boy. I wasn't even there and I never will.

March 6, 2007, 7:39 am CST

Scott doesn't want the attention.

Quote From: dlervig

I don't know Scott but it appears to me he is someone who cares what others think of him and would perfer if the public would just leave this case alone and forget what he did to  Laci and Conner. Maybe I'm just taking my experience with a ex-boyfriend who mentally and phiscally abused me to shape this opionion of mine. To me Scott is a coward, but that is beside the point.

These juriors put their lives on hold to give Laci, Conner, her family and friends the justice they so richly deserve. I would hope they woud want to hear how the juriors are feeling and help them to deal with their terrible ordeal.

March 6, 2007, 8:24 am CST

4 Years of this Craziness?

Quote From: jemala

This is not about giving Scott Peterson more TV time. How many people really think about how jurors are affected by the cases they are involved in?

And, how many times has a horrific crime occurred with Everyone who knew the perpetrator saying things like "never would have expected this" or "he was such a nice, helpful person" or "he was such a quiet, well-behaved guy".?

I'm living in the middle of a situation like that right now. My now mid-20's stepson was very well behaved while I was dating his father. Very intelligent and doing well in college. 3 months after our marriage, he started acting out and it hasn't stopped in past 4 years. He is now in college #8, owes money all over the place, is able to charm his way into more loans ($7000.00 worth of jewelry despite bad credit reports and no job! 2 years ago), has ex girlfriend who suggested to me that I read all the books written about Scott Peterson as "he has the same behaviors" - so I did. Read the books written by Scott's sister, Lacy's mother, Dr Keith Ablow, etc. And I found my stepson's journals to read - they are full of thoughts about how myself and my adult children should be dead - but also he wrote that his parents and himself should die. He is smart enough to have written how dysfunctional his family was and still is. He was raised an only child - born one year after his 2 1/2 year old brother died from being run over by the family car. He wrote that he was glad his brother had died and that he had his parents all to himself. His ex-girlfriend is correct. He has many of the same behaviors and his mother and father raised him similiar to how Scott's mother and stepfather parented Scott.

My stepson has no conscience and no empathy for others. He now has a criminal record, but will eventually  get smarter and not get caught. He did marry a girl he met on the internet - good thing she did not become pregnant! She divorced him after 20 months of marriage as she was working 2 jobs to support them and he wouldn't even pick up his dirty dishes in the apt. She did choose to believe all his lies and would not listen to those of us who tried to tell her about him, so I don't feel sorry for her experience. Just hope she learned from it. 

He is a Canadian citizen but INS won't pull his green card. The man I soke with said my stepson  has the same right to not pay his bills & to commit crimes as we American citizens do. He was convicted of a Felony Oct 2005. I sent those court documents to INS but nothing has happened. Probably because the sentence is "deferrred" while he is on probation & pays restitution ($50/month for $3600 owed). Once he has completed that, he is eligible to request that his court record on this case be expunged (1st felony offense).

He has gotten close to 50k of US college financial aid. I doubt he will ever pay it back. He went from studying to be electrical engineer technologist to electrical engineer and is now  a Math major. His women professors are now trying to help him get a teaching job at another college. I shudder at the thought of him taking advantage of an impressionable freshman girl on campus. Just hope if anyone marries him again, that person will not want to have children. There is no way he will compete with a child for his parents attention. His mother still gets his father to give their son thousands of dollars every year (I make over 50k a year and my husband earns less than 15k/year!) I put my foot down about paying for the lawyer - so his mother got her brother to give him over $3000 for that expense.

I fully expect to pick up a newspaper, turn on the radio or TV and hear that he has been arrested for "alledgedlly" murdering someone. It would also not surprise me if he started doing something like the Unabomber did.

As for me? I am filing for divorce on our 4th wedding anniversary next month. Have asked, requested, begged, pleaded with my husband to go to couples counseling with me. He knows what his son is - he listed his son's behaviours and stated that they matched the criteria for Anti-Social Personality Disorder (sociopath/psycopath in laymen's language). yet he won't ever say no to his son or hold him responsible for his actions. (My husband says it is the college's fault my stepson committed grand larceny. My husband's ex told me it was my fault as I wouldn't let my husband support his son and daughter-in-law. She also threatened to "come down there and fix you!" which sounds like a threat to me. She lives in Montreal.) I suspect I could get rich writing a soap opera based on these 3 people and their actions over the past 6 years. Oh yes, the daughter in law also - she was quite a character, always accusing others of ruining her life, her jobs, etc.

Why have you stayed for 4 years? You might want to see if you could go on the Dr Phil show in return for their helping you move and change identities to protect yourself. Sounds like you should get away from all of these as far as possible. We should always listen to our gut...your heart will give you that 'Uh-oh" feeling and we need to listen to it.

Your husband sounds pretty evil in his own way. No child grows up without a conscience unless the parent is totally self centered and never gives him any real love and discipline. The parents enabled the child to grow up blaming the world for his pathetic choices, and giving him the attitude of entitlement. Good luck and hurry up and get out of this.....

March 6, 2007, 8:39 am CST

Looking forward to this show...

I can honestly say that I am not the type of person to get all caught up in the media hype of stories but this is one case that has made me think a great deal.  It's so sad to think of a beautiful, vibrant 8 and a half month pregnant woman killed for such selfish reasons.   Perhaps because at the time of that story, I had just given birth to my first child, a son just 6 months before. I was expierencing all of those first time joys with my family and friends.  It saddened me that Laci would never have the chance to celebrate those firsts.  I am not saying that I knew her personally and I try to keep things as such in perspective... like "Do I have a right to feel so sad?" I didn't know this person and there are people out there that really did know her.  For the most part, I get rather annoyed when people act like it's the end of the world that a person has passed, especially if they did not know them.  I am by no means saying that its not sad that a life has been lost but in my opinion some people go WAY overboard.  I never wanted to be that person ....going overboard or caring more than I felt like I should-- but with this case I just couldn't help myself. 

I still find myself thinking about this case.  In fact the due date for my second child was Feb. 5th (the same due date as for Connor but a year later).  That's the first thing I thought of when they told me my baby's expected due date.  It made me sad to think of the family not celebrating the Connors 1st birthday that year.  I suppose it's kind of like how I feel whenever I hear the date Sept. 11-- the saddness is the same.  If that makes sense.  In a way I was hoping our baby wouldn't be born on that day because of the sadness it made me feel.  I realized that sounds crazy but it's honestly how I felt. Our daughter Sylvia was born on Feb. 8th.

I'll never forget the time we were checking into a hotel and I saw the "Welcome the familes of Mr, and Mrs. Scott Peterson" sign in the lobby.  It was the strangest feeling.. poor guy to have a the same name as a man associated with such horrible crimes.  It's almost as if the world isn't letting me forget about this case and how it makes me feel-- perhaps because this case has how lucky I really am to have two beautiful children and a wonderful husband.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last