Message Boards

Topic : 03/12 The Dr. Phil House: Man Camp, Part 6

Number of Replies: 108
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 09, 2007, 12:37:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Four months have passed since Scott and Tara, John and Cherie, and Nic and Amanda moved out of The Dr. Phil House, armed with tools to save their crumbling marriages. One couple has curbed their fighting but now reveals an issue that the wife says is tearing them apart. Why did they keep it a secret from Dr. Phil? Then, a couple learning to work together sees the changes in their children but still struggles with issues from the past. Plus, a reinvigorated pair say they’re best friends again and falling back in love. Which marriages are thriving, and which one is hanging on by a thread? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 12, 2007, 9:04 am CDT

I See Your Point, But....

Quote From: momisme2

...after reading the site workup, once again, im returning to my question of WHY did they give these guys beers in the house?   After they(Nic and John ONLY)cleaned the house and Scott returned from his temper tantrum, all the men were sitting around downing beers.  I was shocked to see that and this is one of the reasons why.

Personally, I hope Dr. Phil never again decides to indulge his guests with alcohol.  Not only is he asking for trouble, but it most def. came off as a reward for Scott after not lifting a finger to help with clean up duty.  I didnt understand it then and I dont understand it now. 

Very bad call with that whole thing, doc.  Please dont make that mistake again!

I don't think taking alcohol out of the house would be wise.  Part of seeing people in a place they feel more relaxed and at home is key to the process of evaluating the problems.  It allowed you to notice Scott going for the beer.  I'm sure this did not escape Dr. Phil either.  There is no reason to "sterilize" the environment.  I do think that would be counterproductive.

Also, to the poster would doesn't like Scott I say each to their own.  I do believe Scott is in denial about his drinking, but I also remember his wife saying she starts complaining about things when she wakes up and doesn't stop all day.  No, that does not justify the quantity of drinking Scott does.  There are other ways to escape when he feels he has to get away.  I don't think Scott is a bad guy at all, but it certainly does not help him to drink in excess.  If he, or anyone else, drinks responsibly and in moderation, there is not a problem.  I know if I were married to her I'd get out of the house as well.  I'd just choose a healthier form by which to release my pent up anger.

March 12, 2007, 9:11 am CDT

03/12 The Dr. Phil House: Man Camp, Part 6

What I think is unfair is that in all these posts dissing Amanda, never once, on all these boards, have I read people complaining about the establishments that pay strippers the big bucks, or the MEN who frequent them so often its the reason WHY they pay the big bucks.  Talk about a double standard!  Sheesh!

Once again I will say it...  if I had the body and my husband would be all right with it, I would strip too!  I have a 19 yo working full time to go to college full time.  We help him some, but not NEAR as much as I want to or think we should.  I have a 16 yo daughter who will be a senior next year.  She wants, and has ALWAYS wanted to be a veterinarian.  This isnt just a little girls pipe dream either.  That child is the animal whisperer!  She save everything from kittens and dogs, to frogs and toads, baby bunnies(though she has never been able to save one of those as they are almost impossible to rescue) to even BATS!  (ewwwwwww!)  Now she is shying away from that dream of hers because the school counselors keep telling her long it will take and how much it will cost.  To me, THAT is the travesty!

If I could do it, I would strip 5 nights a week, rake in the big bucks, and send my three kids to college with that money.  And!  I wouldnt even feel bad about it!

Judge that!  LOL

I'm so sorry that your daughter is having her dream ruined by the school counselor! That is TERRIBLE! Veterinarians are such wonderful people...and they have thankless jobs in a lot of ways, because animals can't say thank you. I hope that works out for her...How ridiculous...where does this school counselor thing Vets come from? ...ugh...

Ok, back on topic. I feel the same way you do about stripping. If men are doofy enough to pay for a woman to shake her bare behind then so be it. I don't understand the big deal. This happens adults only clubs and bars. If she can earn money doing this, that's fine. MY only problem with HER doing it is that she got involved with a patron..but you know what? People have affairs with those they work with all the time. If she was going to cheat, she would have, it's not like ONLY strippers cheat.

There was another post on another board where someone said something along the lines of, "Strippers tempt married men to cheat.."...um no...not even close.

March 12, 2007, 9:18 am CDT

OK

Quote From: bachor

i agree!  bills and basic living neccisictys such as foood, shelter and diapers for a children should be first need.   the last thing a person should do if finances are tight is buy  wanted items.  i am going thru that problem with my husband and it is causing me to want to go my sperate ways.   i cry each time i think about our situation and he acts loke he dont care.   he has been laid off for more than 6 months now.  he tells me the oter day that we have 2 ore unemployment checks coming in and only 10,000 in the bank to pay the bills and house mortgage.  i onloy work part time cause i went to college like he begged me to.   so what does he do, he goes out and buys th children a playstation 2, a very expensive orta ble dvd player, we had a dvd player, and all kinds of clothes and  toys.  on tp of all  this, our one vehicle has broke down and needs a new water pump.  instead of fixing it or taking it in to fix he goes buys more toys for the children, then whines about hopw much gas hes going thru.  i jsut dont understand it.  well this quarter is almost over and i think i am going to take a leave of absence from school and go back to work full time.  since he refuses.  when hes home all day he does not clean or anything, when i ask the kids what he does, they daid he wathes tv.   so he expects me to keep up on all the bills, food, etc on $108.15 dollars a week, go to school full time, come home clean the house, do the laundry and fix dinner and do the dishes.  what do you all make of this?  hen he wonders why i cry and am stressed all the time and no desire to have sex.
Now I understand the other post.  You evidently equate all males with your husband.  Going through what you are, I can't say that I blame you.  Not all men are like that though.  I really hope you can work your way through this and find some happiness.  You sound as if you have all the stress you can handle.  Because of this, I apologize for my last post.  I did not know what you were going through.  Even though I still disagree with what you said, I can sure see why you would say it.  Best wishes.

March 12, 2007, 9:23 am CDT

Something Fishy

I'm new here, but did anyone notice (hard NOT to notice) the three or so references to something ELSE Scott was using besides alcohol?  That bugs me because Dr. Phil sat there and talked seriously about the "drinking problem", and either had agreed not to or chose not to include this mystery substance in the talk, but if there was a substance, shouldn't THAT have been the focus of the talk?  It doesn't seem like Dr. Phil would do that (and I know him so very well, LOL), and was blowing smoke just for the sake of wrapping up the series.  Why did they choose to air the references to the other substance, but then leave it out of the show?  My theory is that Scott refused to appear on today's show if they did reference it, in the same fashion as him stomping out of Man Camp.  If that's it, then nice going, Scott, apparantly you learned so much from the experience.

March 12, 2007, 9:26 am CDT

A Return Statement

Quote From: cherijohn_91

I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE A STATEMENT REGARDING THIS WHOLE SERIES.  THE SIX OF US PUT ALOT OF OUR TIME AND EFFORT INTO THIS SHOW BECAUSE WE WANTED TO MAKE OUR MARRIAGES WORK.  I UNDERSTAND YOU ALL HAVE OPINIONS REGARDING OUR DEMEANOR ON THE SHOW, BUT I WOULD LIKE EVERYONE TO KNOW WE PUT OURSELVES INTO DR PHILS HANDS.  WE TAPED FOR MANY DAYS AND ON TOP OF THAT PUT A LOT OF OUR HOME LIVES INTO TAPING AS WELL.  OUR EFFORTS WERE ALL WELL INTENDED.  I WISH YOU ALL COULD HAVE SEEN EVERYTHING WE ENDURED, AND I AGREE THAT ALOT OF THE SILLY THINGS THAT WERE SHOWN INSTEAD OF SHOWING HOW HARD WE WORKED THROUGHOUT THAT WEEK.  WE ALL HAD OUR ARGUMENTS, BUT REALIZE WE WERE PUT INTO A HOUSE BRINGING IN ALOT OF OUR OWN BAGGAGE AND ADD THAT UP WITH TWO OTHER COUPLES BRINGING IN THEIR PROBLEMS AS WELL.  IT WAS IRRATIBLE AT TIMES, BUT THERE WERE ALSO TIMES IN THE HOUSE THAT WE COULD NOT STOP LAUGHING.    TARA, SCOTT, AMANDA, NIC HOLD ON TO THOSES MEMORIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!BY THE WAY SCOTT I FOUND ANOTHER CLOTHES PIN IN MY LUGGAGE. LOL.  THE LAST EPISODE SHOWED ALOT OF MIXED EMOTIONS BETWEEN US ALL, THAT WAS THE REAL PORTAYAL OF OUR WEEK IN THE HOUSE, FIGHTING, LAUGHING, CRYING, HUGGING AND ALOT OFCOMMUNICATING (WITHOUT YELLING), WE ALL WISH YOU COULD HAVE SEEN IT ALL, BUT WE WOULD BE GOING INTO THE SUMMER MONTHS AND I KNOW IF A QUARTER OF WHAT WE LIVED IN THAT HOUSE WAS SHOWN, ALOT OF PEOPLE WOULD HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS OF US.   THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR SUPPORT, CHERI

May I first congratulate all of you for having the courage to do as you did?  I am sure you and John will find much brighter days ahead.  Amanda and Nic seem to be doing very well also.  I have not given up on Tara and Scott yet, but both have some serious things to face. 

I think you have seen that most of us are very supportive of you and wish you well. 

March 12, 2007, 9:47 am CDT

You Knew I'd Have To Answer

Quote From: penny_lady

I'm so sorry that your daughter is having her dream ruined by the school counselor! That is TERRIBLE! Veterinarians are such wonderful people...and they have thankless jobs in a lot of ways, because animals can't say thank you. I hope that works out for her...How ridiculous...where does this school counselor thing Vets come from? ...ugh...

Ok, back on topic. I feel the same way you do about stripping. If men are doofy enough to pay for a woman to shake her bare behind then so be it. I don't understand the big deal. This happens adults only clubs and bars. If she can earn money doing this, that's fine. MY only problem with HER doing it is that she got involved with a patron..but you know what? People have affairs with those they work with all the time. If she was going to cheat, she would have, it's not like ONLY strippers cheat.

There was another post on another board where someone said something along the lines of, "Strippers tempt married men to cheat.."...um no...not even close.

The ladies daughter is interested in a very good and respected field.  It does lie in medicine, so the shock of the costs and time shouldn't be too much of a surprise.  This shouldn't stop her though.  I know her mom would like to take care of the expenses, but that really isn't completely necessary.  I went through school by paying for most of it myself (student loan and several jobs).  My parents helped with what they could.  I have always been glad that was how I did it.  It's even more rewarding.

You are so right about stripping.  It isn't happening without guys too dumb to keep their paychecks.  While I am not familiar with the industry (being kind there), it is my understanding that dating the patrons is very much discouraged.

Regarding the line about the strippers causing infidelity in men, I agree that is nonsense.  Infidelity begins and ends with immaturity.  Prostitutes may tempt a married man, but only if he is inclined to cheat anyway.  It really is as dumb as saying that pool boys tempt women to cheat.

March 12, 2007, 10:22 am CDT

Quote From: flrat69

The ladies daughter is interested in a very good and respected field.  It does lie in medicine, so the shock of the costs and time shouldn't be too much of a surprise.  This shouldn't stop her though.  I know her mom would like to take care of the expenses, but that really isn't completely necessary.  I went through school by paying for most of it myself (student loan and several jobs).  My parents helped with what they could.  I have always been glad that was how I did it.  It's even more rewarding.

You are so right about stripping.  It isn't happening without guys too dumb to keep their paychecks.  While I am not familiar with the industry (being kind there), it is my understanding that dating the patrons is very much discouraged.

Regarding the line about the strippers causing infidelity in men, I agree that is nonsense.  Infidelity begins and ends with immaturity.  Prostitutes may tempt a married man, but only if he is inclined to cheat anyway.  It really is as dumb as saying that pool boys tempt women to cheat.

I agree with both of you and your thoughts on stripping as well as the infedility issue.  Its nice to see some different views about the whole thing.   For a change!  lol

I dont agree with you about the alcohol thing though.  They were in the house for a week working on some serious issues.  Imo, they should have gone without the beers.  I dont think that would necessarily be sterlizing the house atmosphere, just some common sense.   But then, im not a fan of beer drinking, so perhaps im biased.  LOL

Regarding my daughter... since a veterinarian is in the medical field the costs and time was not a shock to me.  Perhaps I should have mentioned that kinda thing to her before hand.  I always just encouraged, never spoke of the long road it would be.  I have told her that its ridiculous to let others sway her.  She wants it, she should go for it!  Hopefully she will continue to pursue it instead of leaning towards working as a vet technician.  Which is what her counselors are pushing.  Believe that? 

I also agree that her working and paying for it with our help(and yes, she does already work part time)would probably be far more rewarding for her.  I just cant help but to want to hand them the money and watch them work part time, instead of full time, while they go to college.  Funny thing is, it seems to upset ME far more then it does my kids!  LOL

March 12, 2007, 12:01 pm CDT

Worth Saving

Quote From: taborl

I will tell you what real is - I lost the love of my life in October when he died due to septic shock.    If you guys  truly love each other you need to get over yourselves and think about what life would be like without each other.

The happiest day of my  life was the day I married my husband and the absolute worst day of my life was the day I lost him.  There is not an hour of every day that I don't relive those last few hours with him.

You will be sorry someday when you wake up and the other half of your life is not there beside you or when something good or something bad happens to you and there is absolutely no one to share it with or to help you get through it. 

You think you have it rough, you don't know anything.  Either make a decision that your spouse is the most important thing in your life.  More important that always being right, always having the last word, always thinking of yourself instead of him or her - of course if you don't truly love and respect each other all of this is just a bunch of crap to you, so get a divorce and get on with your life, but if you do love each other, the next time you think you need to win an argument or think of cheating on each other, then think of your partner not being there anymore and the fact that they never will be again,

Thank you so much for your post.  I think I will print it and keep it.  When i think of the stupid little disagreements my wife and I have had, they all pale next to the time I have to love her and thank God for making me the luckiest man alive.  Your post serves as a reminder that life is so fleeting and the "problems" are so unimportant.  It is so important that we take the time to remember what we do have instead of worrying abut what we don't.

Though I have never met you, I have to thank you so much.  I am really sorry about your loss, but I know you will see him and be with him again.

I think I'll stop on my way home and get some flowers for my wife. 

March 12, 2007, 12:10 pm CDT

One Other Thing

I agree with both of you and your thoughts on stripping as well as the infedility issue.  Its nice to see some different views about the whole thing.   For a change!  lol

I dont agree with you about the alcohol thing though.  They were in the house for a week working on some serious issues.  Imo, they should have gone without the beers.  I dont think that would necessarily be sterlizing the house atmosphere, just some common sense.   But then, im not a fan of beer drinking, so perhaps im biased.  LOL

Regarding my daughter... since a veterinarian is in the medical field the costs and time was not a shock to me.  Perhaps I should have mentioned that kinda thing to her before hand.  I always just encouraged, never spoke of the long road it would be.  I have told her that its ridiculous to let others sway her.  She wants it, she should go for it!  Hopefully she will continue to pursue it instead of leaning towards working as a vet technician.  Which is what her counselors are pushing.  Believe that? 

I also agree that her working and paying for it with our help(and yes, she does already work part time)would probably be far more rewarding for her.  I just cant help but to want to hand them the money and watch them work part time, instead of full time, while they go to college.  Funny thing is, it seems to upset ME far more then it does my kids!  LOL
I have never had the privilege of having kids of my own.  So, instead I write from my experience as the child.  There were so many times in our lives when things were really rough (I have a brother and two sisters).  It is so ironic that when I spoke of some of my fondest memories, they were from times my parents had struggled.  To them, they were bad times.  To me, they were wonderful.  As a parent you do want to be sure your kids have the chance to realize their dreams.  Just remember that their view isn't the same.  They look back at what you did and how you were; not what you couldn't do.  You sound like a great parent and I'll bet your kids would say "of course!". 

March 12, 2007, 12:43 pm CDT

Quote From: flrat69

I have never had the privilege of having kids of my own.  So, instead I write from my experience as the child.  There were so many times in our lives when things were really rough (I have a brother and two sisters).  It is so ironic that when I spoke of some of my fondest memories, they were from times my parents had struggled.  To them, they were bad times.  To me, they were wonderful.  As a parent you do want to be sure your kids have the chance to realize their dreams.  Just remember that their view isn't the same.  They look back at what you did and how you were; not what you couldn't do.  You sound like a great parent and I'll bet your kids would say "of course!". 
Thank you!  Thats very nice to hear!  :D

And you know... youre right. I think often I lose sight of the big picture and allow myself to start sinking into "mom guilt" over all the monetary things I cant give to my children.  What I need to remember is they are all three healthy, happy, amazingly great kids, with strong wills, compassion and consideration for others.  They have a house, a mom and dad who love each other and who love them the whole world!     :)   I truley believe they will reach their goals, whatever they may be.  Thats what matters, not the money.  (though money IS helpful!~lol)

Ok.. now im feeling like a board hog!  HAHA  ;)

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last