Message Boards

Topic : 1.Diabetes? FMS? CFS? Chronic PAIN? Your WLC Home

Number of Replies: 547
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, July 06, 2005, 01:01:07 pm
Author : dataimport
For those of us who struggle with Chronic PAIN, DIABETES, FIBROMYALGIA, Chronic FATIGUE, or who take MEDICATIONS that work against your efforts to exercise or lose weight, this group is for you. Please join in and share your struggles and your knowledge. We need and can provide that special kind of understanding, empathy and help that traditional groups do not.

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 22, 2008, 1:41 pm CDT

new here

Quote From: wildjoy1

Hello there Nomi. Wow it has been sooo long since I heard from you. Actually it has been a long time since I have checked out the board. After nearly a year of little or no posts I decided to back out for a while.

I am still working at improving my health in a major way and it is working to a degree beyond my imagination. I have become a vegan. I heard Dr. Neal Bernard talk about his accidental discovery that a low fat vegan diet cured heart disease, diabetes, obesity and, in recent research, even cancer. I bought his book and he made so much sense that I decided to give it a try. It has only been 4 months so far but I can't imagine going back to a regular diet. 

2 weeks after starting the vegan lifestyle we went on a month long vacation which was a real challenge for a beginner vegan. That was followed by a month and a half of holiday season and another trip. So I feel like I have been baptized by fire. It has really given me a great education though about different foods and cooking styles as well as how to be a vegan while away from home.

In spite of the high fat holiday foods and restaurant foods I have lost 15 pounds in the last 4 months. I haven't been dieting. In fact I think I'm eating more now than I was before. I eat as much as I want of anything i want whenever I want. I haven't been exercising either. I know i need to get back into my exercise and I plan to start that up again this week. I expect that i will loose weight faster once i start walking everyday again.

I'd love to hear how you are doing - and what you have been up to this last year.

Take Care,
Karen

I've been on another Dr. Phil board for about 1 1/2 years. I like the people. We talk a lot about drinking a lot of water, intentional exercise, etc. One of them said I was doing good with all of the health  problems I have. I was searching boards yesterday  and saw chronic pain, Diabetis, etc. under weight loss discussions I felt like mabye this is where I belong. I have Rhuematoid Arthitis, (COPD) severe  emphysema, and severe Depression.

I was was also fasinated by your Vegan Diet.  I had heard of vegaterians, but not vegans. Maybe it's just a new word for something old. If I don't have Enbrel for my Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) I'm in so much pain I can't hardly function. My funding from a Foundation has run out. A new one is sending me a form to fill out with me also copies of my income, disability letter, copy of insurance card. The last time I signed up with the other Foundation it took 2 months. I could hardly stand up b/c of so much pain in my knees. I could hardly turn the ignition in the car. It usually took three tries. Enbrel costs $1,500.00 a month. You have to give yourself a shot in the thigh once a week. I think about how much better I'm going to feel. With my insurance I have to pay $377.04 a month. I'm on 20 prescriptions and 4 OTC meds. Three are suggested by my different Dr.'s   Anyway, this vegan diet sounds interesting but I don't know if I can do it. You mentioned that if anyone was interested to let you know so here I am.

As for diabetes if you wake up and your sugar is high you can sprinkle some cinnamon on top of your coffee grounds before you brew it. Cinnamon brings sugar down. Rye bread is good for people with diabetes b/c it takes your body longer to digest it than white or whole grain bread. I like Rye bread b/c it is sliced so thin.  Looks like people don't post too often on this board but maybe we can build it up.  Janice

June 28, 2008, 3:50 am CDT

Walking Again

With fibromyalgia for over 10 years and pain with every step, I am now able to walk over a mile pain free. Six weeks ago I began reading, Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type, and within the first week noticed improvement. The list of foods to avoid was my first step. Our household is the same blood type and very supportive. However, all is not eutopia.  Even with diabetes under control, my weight is increasing 1/2 to 1 pounds per week for about 6 months. At first diagnosis and medication, I dropped 50 pounds in the first year and used toning tables as exercise because of the fibro pain. This is depressing because I'm eating better and exercising more. What's up with this?  Am waiting for a referral to see an endocrinologist. An herbalist says my adrenals are flat and my stress level is extremely high. Sleep is difficult and energy level is low.  Hopefully, help is on the way.

July 17, 2008, 6:04 pm CDT

Hi everyone and welcome to new posters

Sorry I haven't been in a while ---  II was floored to see the last time was end of April! 

Just wanted to say hi to everyone!

I have to get real and get moving again......been passing around the family a stomach virus and I finally got it yesterday so I am just waiting for it to leave but I bought a bunch of fruits and veggies day before that and got out my recipe book etc........and figured I'd come on for added motivation.

I have CFS snce 1992...and I have weight issues as well.  Difficullt to exercise but trying to get back into the swing of things!

Hope everyonecomes back again.....

Trish

August 16, 2008, 7:36 pm CDT

Hi,

Quote From: puptent

Sorry I haven't been in a while ---  II was floored to see the last time was end of April! 

Just wanted to say hi to everyone!

I have to get real and get moving again......been passing around the family a stomach virus and I finally got it yesterday so I am just waiting for it to leave but I bought a bunch of fruits and veggies day before that and got out my recipe book etc........and figured I'd come on for added motivation.

I have CFS snce 1992...and I have weight issues as well.  Difficullt to exercise but trying to get back into the swing of things!

Hope everyonecomes back again.....

Trish

I posted in June or July. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and COPD (severe Emphysema) . With out Enbrel I can't hardly move. Got a new foundation to help me. So that is good. The severe depression is getting rough. My Dr. quit last Dec. then left town and none of the other mental Dr's. I call them nerve Dr's are taking any new paients. You are suppose to go to your primary Care Physcian and he will renew whatever meds the nerve Dr. had you on. He can't monitor your medications.  The insurance co. wants me to go out of town about 50 milesaway to a big city but all those freeways make me too nervous. Anyway, if you have someone who you could walk with you at your pace even for short distance would help.

Wanting to exercise whatever amount you can is a positive sign. I go the the YMCA twice a week, my Humana insurance pays for it. I do chair exercises. We also use a stretch rope, weights, I use 2 lb., and a small exercise ball, like you can get at K- Mart or WalMart . I can tell you of exercises you can do with only the chair. It has helped me.

August 16, 2008, 7:38 pm CDT

Fogot name.

I forgot to sign my name. It's Janice

September 11, 2008, 2:18 am CDT

In a wheelchair, on so many meds, feels impossible

I have RA, OA, FMS, CFS, DDD, MPS, Herniated Discs, and a myriad of other issues.. I am getting Synvisc in my knee, I get regular IV treatments of Remicade, and take handfulls of medications every day.  The meds which save your life also sap your strength, and add weight to an already annoying problem.  I was SO pleased to see a Chronic Pain section for the Weight Loss Solution!

Since I am in a wheelchair, (Electric)  I do not even have the muscle strength to use a manual wheelchair..  My Biologicals sap my strength severely.  I tried a manual wheelchair in a mall once, and wound up being taken to the hospital... I was unable to speak or think straight.  They thought I had a stroke!  They didn't look in my purse for my information correctly, and did not realize that I am Immunologically compromised.

My lack of strength could have wound up to be a very, very serious issue in the hospital.  Thankfully, my husband was contacted...

At the moment, the only exercises I do are stretching.  I have to, in order to not "lock up".  Even those are terrifyingly tiring.  I worry that I will never lose weight.  My legs are of about no use.. I cannot walk, let alone do cardiovascular exercise based upon standing.  This is frustrating.

I do not want my lack of strength and weight to kill me.  I hope I can keep up with reading the boards and actually find some tips, tricks, and get on the right path!

Thank you for listening,

~Heather

September 11, 2008, 2:41 am CDT

Additional Information

I just wanted to add that I'm 31, female, and my weight varies greatly - depending upon my fluid imbalances and inflammation.  I weigh a mid to high average of 250lbs.

I also have Crohns, which makes food very difficult for me.  I take medications, get my colonoscopies, and keep out the foods and drinks which make it the hardest to deal with. 

My problems lie with some of my favorite foods; salads, and many other veggies.. Coffee, as anything with caffeine is a beast to me.  On bad days, I cannot eat anything.. which messes up my metabolism even more. 

My Gastroenterologist states that I would be very thin if it weren't for my other medications and illnesses.  Congratulations, me!  ahh.. I remember the days I used to be, but they still weren't fun.

~Heather

September 11, 2008, 9:23 am CDT

Needing to lose weight!

I am 45 and weight 320 pounds. And have diabetes,high blood pressure,very bad knees, and several other health problems. It is very hard to exercise to help to lose weight! Its not that I eat a whole lot. There are days that I am not even hungry, but I make myself eat something any way.

September 11, 2008, 4:49 pm CDT

HEATHER KEEP FIGHTING

Quote From: heatherma

I have RA, OA, FMS, CFS, DDD, MPS, Herniated Discs, and a myriad of other issues.. I am getting Synvisc in my knee, I get regular IV treatments of Remicade, and take handfulls of medications every day.  The meds which save your life also sap your strength, and add weight to an already annoying problem.  I was SO pleased to see a Chronic Pain section for the Weight Loss Solution!

Since I am in a wheelchair, (Electric)  I do not even have the muscle strength to use a manual wheelchair..  My Biologicals sap my strength severely.  I tried a manual wheelchair in a mall once, and wound up being taken to the hospital... I was unable to speak or think straight.  They thought I had a stroke!  They didn't look in my purse for my information correctly, and did not realize that I am Immunologically compromised.

My lack of strength could have wound up to be a very, very serious issue in the hospital.  Thankfully, my husband was contacted...

At the moment, the only exercises I do are stretching.  I have to, in order to not "lock up".  Even those are terrifyingly tiring.  I worry that I will never lose weight.  My legs are of about no use.. I cannot walk, let alone do cardiovascular exercise based upon standing.  This is frustrating.

I do not want my lack of strength and weight to kill me.  I hope I can keep up with reading the boards and actually find some tips, tricks, and get on the right path!

Thank you for listening,

Heather

EVERY DAY DO SOME EXERCISE, IF YOU GET TIRED STOP, BUT KEEP UP THE EFFORT EVENTUALLY IT WILL PAY OFF.....YOU DO DOCTOR, HE CAN MONITOR YOUR PROGRESS.

JUST A CARING OVER WEIGHT PERSON....

September 11, 2008, 4:50 pm CDT

1.Diabetes? FMS? CFS? Chronic PAIN? Your WLC Home

Quote From: heatherma

Thank you for listening,

Heather

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE IF YOU REALLY WANT IT....KEEP FIGHTING, YOU WILL GET THERE

First | Prev | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | Next | Last