Message Boards

Topic : 1.Diabetes? FMS? CFS? Chronic PAIN? Your WLC Home

Number of Replies: 547
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, July 06, 2005, 01:01:07 pm
Author : dataimport
For those of us who struggle with Chronic PAIN, DIABETES, FIBROMYALGIA, Chronic FATIGUE, or who take MEDICATIONS that work against your efforts to exercise or lose weight, this group is for you. Please join in and share your struggles and your knowledge. We need and can provide that special kind of understanding, empathy and help that traditional groups do not.

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 9, 2005, 10:49 am CDT

hi everyone!!!!

Quote From: nominatio1

Where is everyone? Karen, Grace, at all. I surely hope you are finding your way back after the disruption of the boards.  Lets hear from you, ok? Take care and God bless. Nomi

I had a terrible time finding my way back - aLSO HAVE BEEN IN HOSIPITAL AND REHb for the past 3 weeks  - don't know if i told you - broke t 7 - had a vertebroplasty then ended up in rehab - it's a terrible struggle - just sittng hdree - so i'm off - talk to you soon - love and nhugs to all - really  missed you - Grace

September 9, 2005, 11:01 am CDT

i'm here

i've found you finally - hope all are ok - hav had an awful summer - hospital - surgery - and not of my choice - back vertebroplsd\sty and then rehab - been in so mjuch fun - must lie down 0 i've had it on sitting up - missed you all - grace

September 9, 2005, 12:33 pm CDT

GRACE!!!!!

Quote From: maevon

i've found you finally - hope all are ok - hav had an awful summer - hospital - surgery - and not of my choice - back vertebroplsd\sty and then rehab - been in so mjuch fun - must lie down 0 i've had it on sitting up - missed you all - grace

Grace! I'm so happy to hear from you! I had a difficult time finding the board too; and I still don't navigate it very well. I wish they had a clearer way to get to the "newest messages" - it always takes me a while to find them. 

My goodness you have had a difficult summer. How in the world did you break a thoracic bone? OUCH!!! I can't believe the difficulties you have had to bare lately. My heart goes out to you. You never left my thoughts (or prayers) and I'm so glad to hear from you at last. 

Please follow doctors order (this time) my friend.  

Take Care, Karen 

September 9, 2005, 1:54 pm CDT

Deleted?

Is this board indeed closing?  I discovered it about 2 weeks ago but have had a tough time getting my membership verified.  I'm 36 and for the first time feeling that I'm reaching a crisis stage over my health to a point that I feel compelled to reach out for help.  I've never asked for help before but not sure where to start with improving my life and my presence in it.  This board seems most geared toward my particular problems and I really hope it will stay...more later if I find that I should post here or could be recommended to another board possibly.  Thanks, Misty C.

September 11, 2005, 2:35 pm CDT

NEED TO "MOVE"?

HI, "PHRIENDS"! 

I WANT YOU ALL TO KNOW THE ONLINE EXERCISE BOARD IS UP AND RUNNING--ONLY LACKING ONE THING: YOUR PARTICIPATION.  ANY OF YOU WHO NEED TO EXERCISE (I THINK THAT WOULD BE MOST OF US) BUT JUST CAN'T STAY MOTIVATED PLEASE COME SEE WHAT WE'RE DOING OVER ON "PHIL TO THE 7TH POWER EXERCISE CLUB".  I PROMISE YOU'LL GET RESPONSES TO YOUR POSTS! 

HOW DO YOU FIND US?  (IF THERE'S AN EASIER WAY, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.)  1) LOG IN.  YOU'LL SEE "MESSAGE BOARDS". THEN "TODAY'S FEATURED DISCUSSION".  THEN "HOT TOPICS" 2) "SCROLL DOWN" ON RIGHT HAND ARROW.  YOU'LL SEE "CATEGORIES".  THEN  "WEIGHT".  THEN "WEIGHT LOSS CHALLENGE DISCUSSIONS".  3) "CLICK" ON "WEIGHT LOSS DISCUSSIONS".  4) "SCROLL DOWN" TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN.  4) "CLICK" ON THE NUMBER 2.  5) "SCROLL DOWN" TO "PHIL TO THE 7TH".  6) "CLICK" ON THE TITLE, AND YOU'VE FOUND US! 

HOPE TO "SEE" YOU THERE SOON. 

ANDIEPIE17 

September 12, 2005, 9:46 pm CDT

Welcome Misty!!!!

Quote From: mistybug1

Is this board indeed closing?  I discovered it about 2 weeks ago but have had a tough time getting my membership verified.  I'm 36 and for the first time feeling that I'm reaching a crisis stage over my health to a point that I feel compelled to reach out for help.  I've never asked for help before but not sure where to start with improving my life and my presence in it.  This board seems most geared toward my particular problems and I really hope it will stay...more later if I find that I should post here or could be recommended to another board possibly.  Thanks, Misty C.

Welcome Misty

I'm glad you found this board. The only reason it would be deleted is if no one posts for more than 2 weeks. I guess I get discouraged when I see that the old regulars are not posting, and there seems to be few newcomers.  

This board over the last 2 years has seen so much progress in so many people that you wouldn't believe it (unless you went back and read the archives). There have been people just like you who have had terrible health problems coming in - who thought there was no hope - but with the love and support and common sense of board members have lost hundreds of pounds, found lives that they had only dreams of living and have improved their health beyond their wildest dreams. I'm one of those people.  

At one point we had such lively and educational discussions that it was as if we were on fire. I miss that. If you would like to stick around perhaps we can get going again with the help of all the rest of us who post once in a while. We used to have monthly challenges which were sometimes very good. I stopped that after we dwindled earlier this summer.  

I hope you choose to join in and I'm looking forward to getting to know you better. There is hope for you and I promise you that if you choose to never give up on yourself - and you choose to never let those negative thoughts get the best of you, you will indeed improve your health! I will be here as long as you need the support and along with all the others we can help you in the ways you need. Just let us know.  

I have fibromyalgia, diabetes and several other health difficulties that make loosing weight difficult. For the last few months I have (for the first time in a year and a half) have been gaining weight again due to hormone irregularities (middle age). But after seeing my Dr. and getting things straightened out somewhat, I have lost 2 and 1/2 pounds in the last 2 weeks. That is so much better that what I have been doing lately that I'm thrilled.  

Take Care, Karen 

September 12, 2005, 10:29 pm CDT

sleep well

I'm always on the lookout for information that might lead to getting to sleep easier and/or sleeping sounder. I found this tip at "real age.com and thopught I'd pass it on to y'all' 

Karen 

If you have trouble drifting off, the right bedtime snack may help promote a more restful night's sleep.

In a study, a tryptophan-rich snack before bed helped study participants sleep better and promoted morning alertness. Foods that provide a dose of tryptophan include bananas, dairy, nuts, eggs, soybeans, tuna, and chicken. Keep the serving size small and have your snack about an hour before bed.

RealAge Benefit: Getting 6 to 8 hours of sleep per night can make your RealAge as much as 3 years younger.

The amino acid tryptophan is a protein precursor of serotonin, a brain chemical that promotes relaxation and sleep. In a recent study, people with mild sleep complaints who consumed a tryptophan-enriched protein drink shortly before bedtime slept better and experienced increased morning alertness. Other food sources of tryptophan include milk, oatmeal, baked potatoes, chicken, turkey, brown rice, bananas, yogurt, sunflower seeds, and nuts such as almonds and peanuts. A carbohydrate-rich snack before bed also may promote sleepiness. If you have chronic sleep troubles, see your healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment.

References:

Evening intake of {alpha}-lactalbumin increases plasma tryptophan availability and improves morning alertness and brain measures of attention. Markus, C. R., Jonkman, L. M., Lammers, J. H., Deutz, N. E., Messer, M. H., Rigtering, N., The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2005 May;81(5):1026-1033. 

September 14, 2005, 4:08 pm CDT

Diabetes....

I just found this thread and realized how important it would be to educate those WITHOUT these problems what life is really like for us that do have them. I have Type 2 Diabetes and I get really discouraged when people,(especially my husband and kids) who cannot understand why I cannot just jump up and do a mile run or clean the house from top to bottom..or need a nap when I have eaten something that has worked against me. 

I am only 40 years old and no one knows I have any health problems unless I tell them. It is very hard to explain at times when I look perfectly fine why I really don't feel like doing something. 

Those of us with health issues have the hardest time because we also have a variety of other problems that result...such as weight problems.  

It's also a really big downer when you are invited out and you stop drinking or eating or whatever after a nibble or sip and everyone wants you to keep enjoying.....I always feel like such a downer for everyone else I rarely go out, which is as bad because then everyone thinks you are either stuck up or don't enjoy living life. If only they realized how much we miss those easy things in life and want them back...but the trip back is much , much harder when life is dictated by our health. 

September 15, 2005, 12:51 am CDT

Welcome Candy Dawn

Quote From: candydawn

I just found this thread and realized how important it would be to educate those WITHOUT these problems what life is really like for us that do have them. I have Type 2 Diabetes and I get really discouraged when people,(especially my husband and kids) who cannot understand why I cannot just jump up and do a mile run or clean the house from top to bottom..or need a nap when I have eaten something that has worked against me. 

I am only 40 years old and no one knows I have any health problems unless I tell them. It is very hard to explain at times when I look perfectly fine why I really don't feel like doing something. 

Those of us with health issues have the hardest time because we also have a variety of other problems that result...such as weight problems.  

It's also a really big downer when you are invited out and you stop drinking or eating or whatever after a nibble or sip and everyone wants you to keep enjoying.....I always feel like such a downer for everyone else I rarely go out, which is as bad because then everyone thinks you are either stuck up or don't enjoy living life. If only they realized how much we miss those easy things in life and want them back...but the trip back is much , much harder when life is dictated by our health. 

Hi CandyDawn, welcome to the board.  

It sounds like either you are having a difficult time with your diabetes or have recently been diagnosed and still getting used to the inconvenienced of it all; either way you are right about how difficult it can be to live with a disease that others cannot empathize with. I'm glad you found the board. Perhaps we can help you begin to feel less "down."   

How long have you had diabetes? What are you taking for it? etc etc.  

I'm type II as well and I take 2000 mg of Glucophage (1000 twice a day) - that is about as much as one can take before going to insulin. I am pretty good at keeping my blood work acceptable enough so that I don't have to start taking insulin. Loosing weight for me is very slow, but as long as I'm not gaining I feel like I'm accomplishing something. I also have fibromyalgia and several other ailments to deal with, but the diabetes is the most life threatening one. The fibromyalgia however, sometimes makes me feel like it will kill me one day. It wont, but it sure is difficult to live with.  

I have found that there are several things I can do to make my life better. 1. is to carefully weigh whatever anyone tells me - long enough to decide if it is useful information or just their tactless opinion. If is isn't very useful (or even depressing or hurtful) I "circle file" it. There's no sense in making someone else's opinion more important than my own. And 2. I have learned to be very clear and honest with other people about my health and my capabilities. It was a long hard lesson to learn, but I have gotten to a place where I don't feel guilty for saying no to people. I realize that I need to take care of myself first, or there will be nothing left of me to offer to others. 

I hope you find your way back to the board and join in the discussions.  

Take Care, Karen 

September 15, 2005, 10:21 am CDT

Thanks for the welcome....

I probably am down about diabetes..mainly I think because I know it is my own fault I have it at such a young age. I wasn't overweight til I had my first child, (she is now 17) and it became a downhill slide. But I have lost 69 pounds in the last couple years, although I am at a stall point at the moment. I was on such a great regiment. My best friend and I walked between 3-4 miles everyday  and did 45 minutes min. of Curves after that..I was losing the pounds so easily. I had changed my diet and the pounds were melting off...one or two a day...and I felt better than I had in years.  

Then bad luck stepped in..and at first, my husband broke his hip..which really changed my schedule for half a year and my daily routine changed to when I had a chance. Then less then 2 years later he broke his ankle..same thing...I think I simply got discouraged because every time it worked out I could get back in groove' something happened to curtail it.  

I am also the mother to five girls, ages 17 to 7, in three different schools. H.S, Jr. H.S, and Elem....SO ......energy is a gift..lol. 

I take Glucophage...I take half what you do....1000 total for the day...my doc put me on the same as you..and it was much to severe.  

I am learning to live with Diabetes and actually, I think it was a blessing I did get Diabetes, as strange as that sounds, I was on a road to destruction before being diagnosed and now I am forced to become healthy.  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last