Message Boards

Topic : 1.Diabetes? FMS? CFS? Chronic PAIN? Your WLC Home

Number of Replies: 547
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, July 06, 2005, 01:01:07 pm
Author : dataimport
For those of us who struggle with Chronic PAIN, DIABETES, FIBROMYALGIA, Chronic FATIGUE, or who take MEDICATIONS that work against your efforts to exercise or lose weight, this group is for you. Please join in and share your struggles and your knowledge. We need and can provide that special kind of understanding, empathy and help that traditional groups do not.

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 15, 2005, 1:08 pm CDT

1.Diabetes? FMS? CFS? Chronic PAIN? Your WLC Home

Quote From: candydawn

I probably am down about diabetes..mainly I think because I know it is my own fault I have it at such a young age. I wasn't overweight til I had my first child, (she is now 17) and it became a downhill slide. But I have lost 69 pounds in the last couple years, although I am at a stall point at the moment. I was on such a great regiment. My best friend and I walked between 3-4 miles everyday  and did 45 minutes min. of Curves after that..I was losing the pounds so easily. I had changed my diet and the pounds were melting off...one or two a day...and I felt better than I had in years.  

Then bad luck stepped in..and at first, my husband broke his hip..which really changed my schedule for half a year and my daily routine changed to when I had a chance. Then less then 2 years later he broke his ankle..same thing...I think I simply got discouraged because every time it worked out I could get back in groove' something happened to curtail it.  

I am also the mother to five girls, ages 17 to 7, in three different schools. H.S, Jr. H.S, and Elem....SO ......energy is a gift..lol. 

I take Glucophage...I take half what you do....1000 total for the day...my doc put me on the same as you..and it was much to severe.  

I am learning to live with Diabetes and actually, I think it was a blessing I did get Diabetes, as strange as that sounds, I was on a road to destruction before being diagnosed and now I am forced to become healthy.  

My goodness - 5 girls what a handful! I had boys - 2 of our own and an adopted nephew - all are within 3 years of each other, and grown now.  

I just cringed when you wrote that your diabetes is your own fault. I know nothing about your circumstance but I can lay money on the fact that it isn't your fault! If you are thinking it is because you let yourself gain weight that you got diabetes let me counter with a couple of facts. 1. diabetes is largely genetic - even type II diabetes is genetic. Yes gaining weight can bring it on but people without the genetic foundation for it can gain all kinds of weight and never get diabetes. It is your body that is faulty not you!  2. Even if it was due to "over eating" you have to ask yourself  "Why did I use food to pleasure myself to such a degree that I ended up this heavy?" There are reasons that you chose to over eat. Those reasons are most likely related to emotional ques that you may not have noticed or even thought about - but they are there. And tackling them will be a major key to your success, both in life and with your health.  So no matter how you look at it this is not your fault! 

lecture over... :) 

I suppose your husband's doctor has already tested him for bone density to see if he has osteoporosis; if not I would strongly suggest he have it done. There are two types of test one is not as definitive but is very easy and can be done in a few seconds in a doctors office. It just measures the bone density in your foot and generalizes that information to the rest of your bone structure. It takes seconds - (something a man would be more likely to have done). The other is a full body bone scan. I have each of the tests done every other year since I was diagnosed with osteoporosis several years ago. In one year I had 6 broken bones and so my Dr. sent me for a bone scan and discovered my problem. Now I'm just osteoperitic - ( a milder form of bone weakness). That is after years of taking a lot of calcium to build up my bones.  

Wow, it looks like you were really on a roll for a while. And 69 pounds is an awesome reward for your efforts!  I agree that the key to weight loss is exercise. I was really on a good routine with exercise until I had a car accident and was nearly bed ridden for quite a while. Now I have a semi-permanent (doesn't that sound like an oxymoron?) condition in my right arm that causes me pain when I do anything. And My fibromyalgia has had a hey-day since the accident, wreaking havoc all over my body. So consequently my routine has been abolished as has my weight loss success.  But we can do what we can do. I try to do as much everyday as my body will allow. And I tend to push myself at least twice a week just to see if my limit has changed.  

One thing I know for sure is that life will always throw us curve balls.  Our success will be determined by our eagerness to find creative ways to deal with them.    

So let's hear it for living life to the fullest in spite of our difficulties!  It's All Good 

Take care,  

Karen 

September 17, 2005, 2:15 am CDT

Quote From: wildjoy1

Welcome Misty

I'm glad you found this board. The only reason it would be deleted is if no one posts for more than 2 weeks. I guess I get discouraged when I see that the old regulars are not posting, and there seems to be few newcomers.  

This board over the last 2 years has seen so much progress in so many people that you wouldn't believe it (unless you went back and read the archives). There have been people just like you who have had terrible health problems coming in - who thought there was no hope - but with the love and support and common sense of board members have lost hundreds of pounds, found lives that they had only dreams of living and have improved their health beyond their wildest dreams. I'm one of those people.  

At one point we had such lively and educational discussions that it was as if we were on fire. I miss that. If you would like to stick around perhaps we can get going again with the help of all the rest of us who post once in a while. We used to have monthly challenges which were sometimes very good. I stopped that after we dwindled earlier this summer.  

I hope you choose to join in and I'm looking forward to getting to know you better. There is hope for you and I promise you that if you choose to never give up on yourself - and you choose to never let those negative thoughts get the best of you, you will indeed improve your health! I will be here as long as you need the support and along with all the others we can help you in the ways you need. Just let us know.  

I have fibromyalgia, diabetes and several other health difficulties that make loosing weight difficult. For the last few months I have (for the first time in a year and a half) have been gaining weight again due to hormone irregularities (middle age). But after seeing my Dr. and getting things straightened out somewhat, I have lost 2 and 1/2 pounds in the last 2 weeks. That is so much better that what I have been doing lately that I'm thrilled.  

Take Care, Karen 

Karen, thanks so much for your response.  This is really a big step for me as I'm not really one to open up or talk about my problems, but I really don't know what to do...I'm so frustrated and have no idea where to start with making myself better...I feel like I have no control and don't know how to get motivated to make the changes I need to make.  A little about me: 

I'm 36, mother of 4 ages 19-9.  I have fibro, IBS, chronic fatigue, Epstein-Barr, and arthritis; most of these beginning after an accident I was in 15 years ago.  At this point I weigh about 340, though I'm not exactly sure because my Weight Watcher's scales just say ERROR....*snorting*.  I can't say that I'm really depressed...I was in a very bad depressed state up to about 4 years ago and determined to never feel that way again, so I try to take things as they come, but I'm beginning to lose my mind, I think, and feeling very distressed over what the future holds for me. 

My two major problems with attacking my weight problem are: my existing health conditions and lack of resources (money).  I have no health insurance...my husband works at Wal-mart and I can't afford anything that might help me...no surgeries, books, doctor visits, medications, etc., etc.  I feel like I really need something as drastic as gastric-bypass surgery, but of course that's out of the question.  I did apply for SSI 8 years ago but was denied due to lack of documentation of my conditions (no insurance, no doctor visits), but I'm unable to work. 

There are no solutions for most of my problems, I know that and that's one of the reasons things seem hopeless, but I do know that there are some parts of my life that I should be able to get control over.  I'm a compulsive and stress eater and a compulsive smoker...I need to do something serious about both of those problems.  I did buy an elliptical exercise machine several months ago but it seems impossible to get the motivation to get on the thing, especially since the 3 times I've been on it, I injured muscles and was in pain for several days. 

I'm really hoping this board can help me with the things that the typical weight loss programs don't cover, such as exercising in my condition and getting motivated when you have chronic pain and fatigue (not to mention the way that any exertion makes you feel at 340 pounds).  This summer has been the worst yet for pain when summer has always been my time of relief, I cringe to think what the coming winter will bring unless I take some steps to improve my condition.  I know this became long, way longer than I intended and I apologize for that, but you ladies really sound like you know what you're talking about and I'm all eyes for any suggestions or helpful comments you might have for me.  Hugs, Misty :) 

September 18, 2005, 10:11 pm CDT

Hi Misty

Quote From: mistybug1

Karen, thanks so much for your response.  This is really a big step for me as I'm not really one to open up or talk about my problems, but I really don't know what to do...I'm so frustrated and have no idea where to start with making myself better...I feel like I have no control and don't know how to get motivated to make the changes I need to make.  A little about me: 

I'm 36, mother of 4 ages 19-9.  I have fibro, IBS, chronic fatigue, Epstein-Barr, and arthritis; most of these beginning after an accident I was in 15 years ago.  At this point I weigh about 340, though I'm not exactly sure because my Weight Watcher's scales just say ERROR....*snorting*.  I can't say that I'm really depressed...I was in a very bad depressed state up to about 4 years ago and determined to never feel that way again, so I try to take things as they come, but I'm beginning to lose my mind, I think, and feeling very distressed over what the future holds for me. 

My two major problems with attacking my weight problem are: my existing health conditions and lack of resources (money).  I have no health insurance...my husband works at Wal-mart and I can't afford anything that might help me...no surgeries, books, doctor visits, medications, etc., etc.  I feel like I really need something as drastic as gastric-bypass surgery, but of course that's out of the question.  I did apply for SSI 8 years ago but was denied due to lack of documentation of my conditions (no insurance, no doctor visits), but I'm unable to work. 

There are no solutions for most of my problems, I know that and that's one of the reasons things seem hopeless, but I do know that there are some parts of my life that I should be able to get control over.  I'm a compulsive and stress eater and a compulsive smoker...I need to do something serious about both of those problems.  I did buy an elliptical exercise machine several months ago but it seems impossible to get the motivation to get on the thing, especially since the 3 times I've been on it, I injured muscles and was in pain for several days. 

I'm really hoping this board can help me with the things that the typical weight loss programs don't cover, such as exercising in my condition and getting motivated when you have chronic pain and fatigue (not to mention the way that any exertion makes you feel at 340 pounds).  This summer has been the worst yet for pain when summer has always been my time of relief, I cringe to think what the coming winter will bring unless I take some steps to improve my condition.  I know this became long, way longer than I intended and I apologize for that, but you ladies really sound like you know what you're talking about and I'm all eyes for any suggestions or helpful comments you might have for me.  Hugs, Misty :) 

Hi Misty. I'm glad you wrote back.  

You sound like a very strong willed person - I'm impressed that you were able to make a decision to steer clear of a serious depression by handling your life in a way that kept you safe emotionally. Even if your way of coping was to turn to food that is NOT a bad thing. If you had a choice between mental stability or weighing less I think you made the right decision! So in your case food was working for you. In fact it may have been a life saver. And thank goodness for that! Now that you have that behind you it sounds like you are ready to find some other way to cope, and that is a courageous decision too. It may not be easy - and it certainly won't be a straight and narrow path, but it is doable.  

You said you have no idea where to start to begin to make yourself feel better. So I was thinking that maybe it would be easiest to start with something not directly related with your health or weight.  You have probably watched the Dr. Phil show enough to have heard his say that language is a very powerful force in the way we feel about ourself and our ability to deal with difficult situations. I really agree with that and have experienced the difference just changing my vocabulary can make on my life. Consequently, I grimaced when you wrote that "There are no solutions for most of my problems." There may not be a cure but there are solutions. So maybe the first step for you might be as simple as changing the way you verbally describe yourself and your conditions. It may sound silly, but our words are so powerful and can have a positive or an adverse effect on our outlook and our overall success in life.  

Many years ago when I was a young mom I realized that I had difficulty using the word "woman" to describe myself. I could say I was a mom, a girl, or female; I could even uses words like failure, hopeless or other derogatory terms to describe myself. Once I realized that I had some kind of block about referring to myself as a woman I decided to do something about it (after many days of crying and self searching). I decided to look into a mirror and tell myself that I was a woman. Boy did I feel ridiculous. But the words just wouldn't come out of my mouth. Finally I forced them out a couple of times. I looked at my reflection and said "Karen what are you doing - this is so fake." A few days later I tried it again. It was easier this time but I really didn't feel like my perception of myself had changed at all and I began to doubt that I would ever feel differently - but I was determined to finish the experiment. So every day for a week I did the exercise. Each time it felt easier and less fake.  It wasn't until a few months later that I caught myself in a casual discussion with a friend that I realized that I had just verbally referred to myself as a woman and the words just flowed out of my mouth so naturally - it didn't feel fake at all. It was then that I realized that my words had changed my emotions - as well as my self worth.  

Long story - sorry, I just wanted to let you know that my suggestion wasn't  "just words." 

There are and have been many people on the board who either didn't have medical insurance or who hadn't been to a Dr. in years who have made incredible changes in their weight and their life. One woman last year started out at a size 5x and could hardly stand for any length of time - and thought she couldn't exercise - who got down to a 1x in less than a rear. I'll tel you what I told her: 

...Start slow so that you don't injure yourself.  You don't have to be an athlete to exercise. If all you can do is to turn on some music and dance in your chair you will be making progress. Wave your arms, tap your feet, smile and have fun with it. Get your little ones to dance with you, they will think mom has caught a really fun flu bug or something.  If you generally watch TV in the evenings, get up during at least one commercial break every 30 minutes and do something - make a cup of tea, put up some clothes, walk down the hall and back until the show starts again. You are the one who will determine how successful you will be at improving your health. And you can do it in spite of  the circumstances you are in now - regardless of your finances or health difficulties. You can change your feelings of hopelessness and begin to see that you do indeed have a choice and the ability to begin a new healthier life.  

The real magic happens when we realize that we are in control of our health and our weight; that change isn't something that someone else can do for us. We won't wake up one morning and suddenly "feel" like exercising or eating healthier - but we can make the choice to do it every day. I have a web site and on the bottom of every page I have the statement "Our tomorrow is determined by the choices we make today." I believe that completely.  

We will have days when we say "forget it, today I choose to do nothing positive for myself." But that is really OK, as long as we have the attitude and the commitment that it will only be a 1 day reprieve.  

You can do this! We can do this! 

Karen   Aerobics 

September 27, 2005, 2:30 pm CDT

Anyone Home?

Well, I'm starting a couple new drugs today. I spent the weekend thinking I might not live to see today as my heart and blood pressure were giving me grief. On top of that, what my Dr. & I thought was menopause might actually be something else. Right now I'm sitting in my Dr.s lobby waiting to have moor blood drawn. He is checking for cancer and several other things. Emotionally I'm doing fine. There's nothing to worry about until we get the results back. And even then, it will be good to know what's really going on - needless to say, and to begin treating the right problem. So I was just hoping to find someone here. Hope you are all well, Karen

September 28, 2005, 11:52 am CDT

Hi Karen

I dropped by here today and saw your message.  I do so hope things turn out OK for you.   

It is so scarry when waiting for results, worse I think than dealing with whatever it is. 

Praying for you and wishing you well....take care....dorrie (from the other diabetic board) 

September 28, 2005, 5:39 pm CDT

Here are some interesting sites about your health: 

Find out how much protein you need every day (diabetics need more than this test indicates

http://www.healthscout.com/excite.asp?page=protein&ap=407 

This one helps ;you find your body mass index (BMI) 

http://www.healthscout.com/excite.asp?page=bmi&ap=407 

Find your ideal body weight: 

http://www.healthscout.com/excite.asp?page=ibw&ap=407 

There are more at this site if you look around you might find something else of interest to you. 

Karen 

September 29, 2005, 4:24 pm CDT

HI KAREN!

Well, I'm starting a couple new drugs today. I spent the weekend thinking I might not live to see today as my heart and blood pressure were giving me grief. On top of that, what my Dr. & I thought was menopause might actually be something else. Right now I'm sitting in my Dr.s lobby waiting to have moor blood drawn. He is checking for cancer and several other things. Emotionally I'm doing fine. There's nothing to worry about until we get the results back. And even then, it will be good to know what's really going on - needless to say, and to begin treating the right problem. So I was just hoping to find someone here. Hope you are all well, Karen

HELLO KAREN,ITS ME TRISH JUST READ YOUR POST AND I HOPE EVERYTHING WELL BE OK FOR YOU. I KNOW I HAVENT BE ABLE TO POST JUST READ,BUT HAVE BEEN POSTING ON THE DIABETIC BOARD DUE TO DORRIE. 

WELL TAKE CARE AND I WILL SAY A PRAYER FOR YOU.. 

TRISH(AKA WALKIN WOMEN)  

September 29, 2005, 11:48 pm CDT

Thanks all

Quote From: slimsexy

HELLO KAREN,ITS ME TRISH JUST READ YOUR POST AND I HOPE EVERYTHING WELL BE OK FOR YOU. I KNOW I HAVENT BE ABLE TO POST JUST READ,BUT HAVE BEEN POSTING ON THE DIABETIC BOARD DUE TO DORRIE. 

WELL TAKE CARE AND I WILL SAY A PRAYER FOR YOU.. 

TRISH(AKA WALKIN WOMEN)  

Thanks Trish and Dorrie, 

I really appreciate the prayers. Because of my new health investigation I have had to call off my trip to LA to help with the counseling (volunteering) there. At least for now - they will be needing help for some time to come I'm sure.  Yesterday I actually felt better enough to do 30 minutes on the treadmill. But it has been so long that 30 minutes was really difficult - and I only got up to 2.0 mph.  My new med is helping but I'm not quite there yet. I need to be patient and give it more time. In the meantime I'm determined to do as much as I'm able without making myself worse. Getting out of shape is so much faster than getting back into shape.  Treadmill  

I have been reading the diabetic board too. It is always nice to hear from you all whereever we meet.   

Take Care,  

Karen    

September 30, 2005, 9:57 am CDT

Hello to all - would like to join your conversations

At the moment I'm at work and only have 15 minutes left to my lunch hour!    A quick bio - I am 55, married 36 years, two grown daughters and 3 grandkids.  I work as an administrative assistant.  My husband is on a medical retirement and SSD, so I have to work to have health insurance for both of us and especially the med coverage, as he is diabetic (and not an ounce overweight!) 

I struggle with FMS, IBS, Epstein-Barr (which I don't understand at all), arthritis and obesity.  I lost 60# in '03 on the Atkins diet, but have gained 20 back and struggle every single day with the depression over it all.  I was greatly disappointed that the weight loss didn't make me feel physically 100% better (silly me!).  I get depressed that I can't do anything without suffering with muscle aches and pains.  I try not to let my health problems be known at work - I find it embarrassing when people ask me if I'm okay (cause I'm stiff or limping), tell me I look exhausted (I am most of the time), etc.  I hate saying I have fibromyalgia because people have commented that it is a very controversial disease - to which I say if anyone thinks someone wants to feel the way I do -they're crazy!  I used to be a physically active person who didn't even like to take time out to sleep - now I can't wait to fall into bed!   I push myself all the time to do the very things that cause me pain, but I can only say that I refuse to give them up.  I would rather live with the pain.  Stupid I know, but I have to "prove" to myself that I can still do things.   

Anyway, as you all know, having these types of health problems and physical limitations makes it difficult to lose weight - but not impossible.  It really helps though to have somewhere to go and talk and know that people understand.   

Best wishes to all of you - hope we can inspire and encourage each other! 

Gina 

September 30, 2005, 2:42 pm CDT

hi karen

Thanks Trish and Dorrie, 

I really appreciate the prayers. Because of my new health investigation I have had to call off my trip to LA to help with the counseling (volunteering) there. At least for now - they will be needing help for some time to come I'm sure.  Yesterday I actually felt better enough to do 30 minutes on the treadmill. But it has been so long that 30 minutes was really difficult - and I only got up to 2.0 mph.  My new med is helping but I'm not quite there yet. I need to be patient and give it more time. In the meantime I'm determined to do as much as I'm able without making myself worse. Getting out of shape is so much faster than getting back into shape.  Treadmill  

I have been reading the diabetic board too. It is always nice to hear from you all whereever we meet.   

Take Care,  

Karen    

you know that you dont need to be doing  half hour on the tread mill,even if its 5 mins and do that every other day,i know you want to excersize more,but start small and work up to half hour. 

i know i suffer with pain,and sometimes my knees are so stiff,i dont want to get up cause i am afraid i might fall down. well right now i been walking almost every other day and when i get the urge to over do it,i end up staying in the house for 2 days to recuparate. take it easy and work yourself up to it ok.. 

you take care and have a great weekend! 

trish (aka walkin women) 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last