Message Boards

Topic : 1.Diabetes? FMS? CFS? Chronic PAIN? Your WLC Home

Number of Replies: 547
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, July 06, 2005, 01:01:07 pm
Author : dataimport
For those of us who struggle with Chronic PAIN, DIABETES, FIBROMYALGIA, Chronic FATIGUE, or who take MEDICATIONS that work against your efforts to exercise or lose weight, this group is for you. Please join in and share your struggles and your knowledge. We need and can provide that special kind of understanding, empathy and help that traditional groups do not.

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 30, 2005, 3:29 pm CDT

Diabetes and Heart Desease

Since I have just disco0vered that I have heart problems I have been researching about diabetes and heart disease. I found this article at Healthday.com.  I took excerpts from it so I could post it here for you: 

Heart Disease: A Diabetic's Biggest Health Threat

By Janice Billingsley
HealthDay Reporter

HealthDayNews) -- People with diabetes know all too well their disease puts them at risk for devastating health problems, including blindness, kidney failure and amputations.

Yet too few realize heart disease is the leading cause of premature death among diabetics, claiming the lives of two out of every three people with the blood sugar disease, experts say.

"People with diabetes have a two-to-four times greater risk of heart attacks, at an earlier age, and with earlier deaths than non-diabetics. But two-thirds of people with diabetes don't think of heart disease as a problem," says Dr. Nathaniel G. Clark, national vice president of the American Diabetes Association. 

"In fact, the risk of heart disease is going down in the regular population, but is going up in the diabetic population," he adds. "People aren't aware of this. There is a serious knowledge gap between the facts and the perception of the risks of heart disease and diabetes."

Approximately 18.2 million Americans have diabetes, and it's the sixth leading cause of death, according to the American Diabetes Association. 

More worrisome, diabetes -- much of it fueled by the obesity epidemic -- is rising at an alarming rate. From 1990 to 1998, the prevalence of the disease in the United States rose by a third, a recent study in Diabetes Care found.  

The risk for women with diabetes is particularly high, five times that of women without the disease, Bairey Merz adds, most likely because women with diabetes have lower estrogen levels than women without the disease. Lower estrogen levels are a known risk for heart disease among postmenopausal women, she says. 

So how to bridge this knowledge gap? 

People with diabetes should ask their doctors to regularly test their blood pressure and cholesterol, both indicators of heart disease risk. 

If the tests show they're at risk for heart disease, they should ask their doctors for help in drawing up a plan to manage their risk, including lifestyle changes -- such as better nutrition and more exercise -- and possibly medication. 

In addition, the three groups that sponsored the conference have introduced a program called The ABCs of Diabetes, to alert diabetics to ask their doctors for three tests to assess their cardiovascular health. 

"A" stands for a glucose test that's called A1C, does not require fasting and can be done in the doctor's office. "B" is a blood pressure test, and "C" is a cholesterol test. The three groups recommend that the glucose test result be 7 percent or less; the blood pressure be no higher than 130/80 mmHg; and the combined cholesterol number not exceed 200 mg/dl.

"Patients should routinely ask, 'What are my A1C, blood pressure and cholesterol readings?' 'What are my treatment goals?' And 'What do I do to achieve them?'" says Dr. James R. Gavin  

go to the site to read the whole article 

Karen 

October 1, 2005, 9:32 am CDT

Karen and everyone

Quote From: ginadaye

At the moment I'm at work and only have 15 minutes left to my lunch hour!    A quick bio - I am 55, married 36 years, two grown daughters and 3 grandkids.  I work as an administrative assistant.  My husband is on a medical retirement and SSD, so I have to work to have health insurance for both of us and especially the med coverage, as he is diabetic (and not an ounce overweight!) 

I struggle with FMS, IBS, Epstein-Barr (which I don't understand at all), arthritis and obesity.  I lost 60# in '03 on the Atkins diet, but have gained 20 back and struggle every single day with the depression over it all.  I was greatly disappointed that the weight loss didn't make me feel physically 100% better (silly me!).  I get depressed that I can't do anything without suffering with muscle aches and pains.  I try not to let my health problems be known at work - I find it embarrassing when people ask me if I'm okay (cause I'm stiff or limping), tell me I look exhausted (I am most of the time), etc.  I hate saying I have fibromyalgia because people have commented that it is a very controversial disease - to which I say if anyone thinks someone wants to feel the way I do -they're crazy!  I used to be a physically active person who didn't even like to take time out to sleep - now I can't wait to fall into bed!   I push myself all the time to do the very things that cause me pain, but I can only say that I refuse to give them up.  I would rather live with the pain.  Stupid I know, but I have to "prove" to myself that I can still do things.   

Anyway, as you all know, having these types of health problems and physical limitations makes it difficult to lose weight - but not impossible.  It really helps though to have somewhere to go and talk and know that people understand.   

Best wishes to all of you - hope we can inspire and encourage each other! 

Gina 

Karen, I am very sory to hear about your "new" challenges.  It must be so frustrating for you and also frightening.  Although I am not diabetic I am what is considered pre=diabetic. also, I work with Diabetics and know all too well the risk of getting heart disease. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and I wish you ll the best. About coming to LA and doing counseling, I think you are better off staying put . the air is really lousy and you need to take care of yourself. I live in LA and I cannot do it d/t  my own health challenges and limited energy. WE HAVE TO KNOW OUR LIMITS AND HEED THEM OR WE PAYFOR IT LATER WITH ACCUMULATIVE EFFECTS. I learned it the hard way, too. I would love to do so many things and yet, I know that I cannot. I do grieve over this sometimes, and then, I I am grateful again, because, it could be much worse. so, pleas,e Karen, Trish, Gina and everyone. Please take good care of yourselves and be patient, kind and considerate of yourselves. God bless, Nom

Oops, I think I just goofed the message. I think Karen you meant to go to Louisana, did you? I wrote LA. Oh, well, it is still early where I live.  Also, I answered Gina's post thinking I was under Karen's Sorry. Still I will leave it as it is at this point. Take care. Nom

October 2, 2005, 12:10 am CDT

Of Course!

Quote From: slimsexy

you know that you dont need to be doing  half hour on the tread mill,even if its 5 mins and do that every other day,i know you want to excersize more,but start small and work up to half hour. 

i know i suffer with pain,and sometimes my knees are so stiff,i dont want to get up cause i am afraid i might fall down. well right now i been walking almost every other day and when i get the urge to over do it,i end up staying in the house for 2 days to recuparate. take it easy and work yourself up to it ok.. 

you take care and have a great weekend! 

trish (aka walkin women) 

Thanks Trish, you are right. I should have started out slower. Before I got hit with this latest physical ailment I was able to do an hour without much ramification - so I thought 30 minutes should be a breeze - no such luck. Instead of feeling bad about myself I will take your advice and start slower. It is so nice to have people in our lives who can remind us with what we need to hear.   

Take Care, 

Karen 

October 2, 2005, 12:31 am CDT

Welcome Gina

At the moment I'm at work and only have 15 minutes left to my lunch hour!    A quick bio - I am 55, married 36 years, two grown daughters and 3 grandkids.  I work as an administrative assistant.  My husband is on a medical retirement and SSD, so I have to work to have health insurance for both of us and especially the med coverage, as he is diabetic (and not an ounce overweight!) 

I struggle with FMS, IBS, Epstein-Barr (which I don't understand at all), arthritis and obesity.  I lost 60# in '03 on the Atkins diet, but have gained 20 back and struggle every single day with the depression over it all.  I was greatly disappointed that the weight loss didn't make me feel physically 100% better (silly me!).  I get depressed that I can't do anything without suffering with muscle aches and pains.  I try not to let my health problems be known at work - I find it embarrassing when people ask me if I'm okay (cause I'm stiff or limping), tell me I look exhausted (I am most of the time), etc.  I hate saying I have fibromyalgia because people have commented that it is a very controversial disease - to which I say if anyone thinks someone wants to feel the way I do -they're crazy!  I used to be a physically active person who didn't even like to take time out to sleep - now I can't wait to fall into bed!   I push myself all the time to do the very things that cause me pain, but I can only say that I refuse to give them up.  I would rather live with the pain.  Stupid I know, but I have to "prove" to myself that I can still do things.   

Anyway, as you all know, having these types of health problems and physical limitations makes it difficult to lose weight - but not impossible.  It really helps though to have somewhere to go and talk and know that people understand.   

Best wishes to all of you - hope we can inspire and encourage each other! 

Gina 

Hi there Gina, and welcome to the board.  

I have FMS, IBS and Epstein-Bar also - actually those three generally go together as part of fibromyalgia. IBS is an extremely common partner with FMS, and most researchers believe that it is the Epstein-Bar virus that is the catalyst for FMS, as nearly all people with FMS also have had E-B. Epstein Bar is just a virus. It is very common, and a majority of adults in the US have had it. As I understand it, after the flu-like symptoms are gone, the virus stays in our blood stream - (like hepatitis). For most people that is the end of it. However for some of us it hangs around and occasionally gives us the beginning symptoms of the flu. I call it my "fibro-flu."  It isn't contagious and it rarely turns into a full fledged flu - instead it just makes you feel ill for 2-3 days - as if you are going to come down with something that never really manifests completely.   

There are several other "illnesses" that  generally accompany FMS like hypothyroid, depression, GERD, and chronic fatigue. When you tell people that you have all these illnesses and they don't understand that they are all part of the same package they can sometimes (ignorantly) begin to disbelieve that anyone could have so many problems and still look healthy. Even some doctors who are not well versed with FMS symptoms and treatment can treat us as if we were just hysterical hypochondriacs. It is really important to have a medical team that truly understands our unique "package" of problems. 

You are in the right place if you want to associate with people who understand. I'm glad you found us. 

Take Care,  

Karen 

October 2, 2005, 12:48 am CDT

Hi Nom

Quote From: nominatio1

Karen, I am very sory to hear about your "new" challenges.  It must be so frustrating for you and also frightening.  Although I am not diabetic I am what is considered pre=diabetic. also, I work with Diabetics and know all too well the risk of getting heart disease. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and I wish you ll the best. About coming to LA and doing counseling, I think you are better off staying put . the air is really lousy and you need to take care of yourself. I live in LA and I cannot do it d/t  my own health challenges and limited energy. WE HAVE TO KNOW OUR LIMITS AND HEED THEM OR WE PAYFOR IT LATER WITH ACCUMULATIVE EFFECTS. I learned it the hard way, too. I would love to do so many things and yet, I know that I cannot. I do grieve over this sometimes, and then, I I am grateful again, because, it could be much worse. so, pleas,e Karen, Trish, Gina and everyone. Please take good care of yourselves and be patient, kind and considerate of yourselves. God bless, Nom

Oops, I think I just goofed the message. I think Karen you meant to go to Louisana, did you? I wrote LA. Oh, well, it is still early where I live.  Also, I answered Gina's post thinking I was under Karen's Sorry. Still I will leave it as it is at this point. Take care. Nom

Giggle,  Purple Smiles  

Yes I was talking about Louisiana. And it did feel somewhat odd for me to type LA when I wasn't thinking about Los Angeles - Californian fau-paux. :) 

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm hoping to get the results of my blood work early this week. I have been a little nervous I guess. Although I haven't let myself think about it much during the day I have been having dreams that Hitler is chasing me - and if he catches me I know he will kill me. At first I couldn't figure out why I would have such a strange dream - then I realized that I'm afraid that some "evil" disease might get me and do away with me. Since having the dream (twice), I've started vocalizing my feelings more instead of stuffing them. It makes for a much better nights sleep that way.  

And after reading your post and the one from Trish I realized too that I have been in denial in my waking hours regarding my new health issues. That is why I have been pushing myself and insisting that I am still capable of doing everything I had wanted to do. If I force myself to be physically tough then I must not really be ill - right? NOT! Thanks for the wake up call. I really mean that. If it weren't for you I might still be pushing too hard and expecting too much of myself - which might have led to worsened health. It has only been a week now and I guess I'm going through the stages of grief. It is so hard to feel like I'm getting old and sickly when I still feel so young.  

How was your vacation? How are you healing after your surgery. Last I heard you had a sinus infection. I do hope you are well by now.  

Take Care, 

Karen 

October 4, 2005, 11:12 am CDT

Thanks, Karen

Quote From: wildjoy1

Hi there Gina, and welcome to the board.  

I have FMS, IBS and Epstein-Bar also - actually those three generally go together as part of fibromyalgia. IBS is an extremely common partner with FMS, and most researchers believe that it is the Epstein-Bar virus that is the catalyst for FMS, as nearly all people with FMS also have had E-B. Epstein Bar is just a virus. It is very common, and a majority of adults in the US have had it. As I understand it, after the flu-like symptoms are gone, the virus stays in our blood stream - (like hepatitis). For most people that is the end of it. However for some of us it hangs around and occasionally gives us the beginning symptoms of the flu. I call it my "fibro-flu."  It isn't contagious and it rarely turns into a full fledged flu - instead it just makes you feel ill for 2-3 days - as if you are going to come down with something that never really manifests completely.   

There are several other "illnesses" that  generally accompany FMS like hypothyroid, depression, GERD, and chronic fatigue. When you tell people that you have all these illnesses and they don't understand that they are all part of the same package they can sometimes (ignorantly) begin to disbelieve that anyone could have so many problems and still look healthy. Even some doctors who are not well versed with FMS symptoms and treatment can treat us as if we were just hysterical hypochondriacs. It is really important to have a medical team that truly understands our unique "package" of problems. 

You are in the right place if you want to associate with people who understand. I'm glad you found us. 

Take Care,  

Karen 

You're right - I also have hypothyroid, GERD, CFS, and depression.  And sometimes I feel like a hypochondriac - although like I always tell anyone who reminds me that fibro is a very controversial disease . . . NOBODY wants to feel this lousy on a regular basis.  I've pretty much given up going to the doctor.  They put me on anti-depressants to help with sleeping at night, but they made me so groggy I could barely function the next day and I have to work!   I guess I'm not a good patient!  I just quit taking them and take a Tylenol PM or somethign similar when I absolutely have to.  Actually, sleeping isn't a problem.  I fall asleep 2 seconds after my head hits the pillow (unless my legs are restless or I'm having muscle spasms here there and everywhere that make it hard to fall asleep).  The problem is I don't wake up feeling rested - I wake up more tired than when I went to bed!  We got a hot tub last year and I swear if it weren't for the hot tub and a muscle cream I found called Arthricare for Women, I would have lost my job by now because even with those two things, some days it's all I can do to drag my butt to work! 

Anyway, I'm so struggling with my weight right now.  I lost 60 lbs. on Atkins, and have gained back 20 and keep losing the same 5-6 over and over again.  I was so disappointed that losing the weight didn't "cure" my symptoms because it seems like any time in my entire life that I've gone to the doctor with any type of symptom, it's been "lose weight and you'll feel better".  Well, it didn't work!  And I struggle with the exercising because I always end up suffering afterward - I'm sure I overdo it, but that's because I can't see any benefit in doing anything for 5-10 minutes. 

Karen, I'm sorry for your added health problems.  I count my blessings every day because I know that things can change any time and quickly.  I will keep you in my prayers.   

What kind of doctor to you find best treats fibro?  I tried a rheumatologist, but I didn't care for him at all.  My regular doctor is always trying to get me to take some kind of new "snake oil" that he's discovered. Trouble is if I took everything he thinks I should take - well, it would cost me hundreds of dollars a month.  When I say I can't afford the stuff, he says, "what price would you put on feeling better?"   Sadly, I do have to consider the price if it's over-the-counter, as my husband is on SSD and I am the breadwinner.  I work too hard for my money to throw it away on homeopathic products that "might" work. 

Also, anyone familiar with the C-reactive protein that marks inflammation?  I had this done by my family doctor and he said I was at a high risk of heart disease due to the amount of inflammation in my body - but isn't that what fibromyalgia is - inflammation?  Then he brought out some kind of berry mix anti-oxidant product that cost me almost $100 for a month supply and the acid in it killed my stomach!  I ended up dumping it down the drain after 3 weeks.  That's why I try real hard to stay away from doctors! 

October 4, 2005, 1:10 pm CDT

Hi Gina

You're right - I also have hypothyroid, GERD, CFS, and depression.  And sometimes I feel like a hypochondriac - although like I always tell anyone who reminds me that fibro is a very controversial disease . . . NOBODY wants to feel this lousy on a regular basis.  I've pretty much given up going to the doctor.  They put me on anti-depressants to help with sleeping at night, but they made me so groggy I could barely function the next day and I have to work!   I guess I'm not a good patient!  I just quit taking them and take a Tylenol PM or somethign similar when I absolutely have to.  Actually, sleeping isn't a problem.  I fall asleep 2 seconds after my head hits the pillow (unless my legs are restless or I'm having muscle spasms here there and everywhere that make it hard to fall asleep).  The problem is I don't wake up feeling rested - I wake up more tired than when I went to bed!  We got a hot tub last year and I swear if it weren't for the hot tub and a muscle cream I found called Arthricare for Women, I would have lost my job by now because even with those two things, some days it's all I can do to drag my butt to work! 

Anyway, I'm so struggling with my weight right now.  I lost 60 lbs. on Atkins, and have gained back 20 and keep losing the same 5-6 over and over again.  I was so disappointed that losing the weight didn't "cure" my symptoms because it seems like any time in my entire life that I've gone to the doctor with any type of symptom, it's been "lose weight and you'll feel better".  Well, it didn't work!  And I struggle with the exercising because I always end up suffering afterward - I'm sure I overdo it, but that's because I can't see any benefit in doing anything for 5-10 minutes. 

Karen, I'm sorry for your added health problems.  I count my blessings every day because I know that things can change any time and quickly.  I will keep you in my prayers.   

What kind of doctor to you find best treats fibro?  I tried a rheumatologist, but I didn't care for him at all.  My regular doctor is always trying to get me to take some kind of new "snake oil" that he's discovered. Trouble is if I took everything he thinks I should take - well, it would cost me hundreds of dollars a month.  When I say I can't afford the stuff, he says, "what price would you put on feeling better?"   Sadly, I do have to consider the price if it's over-the-counter, as my husband is on SSD and I am the breadwinner.  I work too hard for my money to throw it away on homeopathic products that "might" work. 

Also, anyone familiar with the C-reactive protein that marks inflammation?  I had this done by my family doctor and he said I was at a high risk of heart disease due to the amount of inflammation in my body - but isn't that what fibromyalgia is - inflammation?  Then he brought out some kind of berry mix anti-oxidant product that cost me almost $100 for a month supply and the acid in it killed my stomach!  I ended up dumping it down the drain after 3 weeks.  That's why I try real hard to stay away from doctors! 

Oh I so understand your remarks. I think I have said everything you wrote at one time or another. One thing that I thought about as I read your post was about feeling unrested when you wake in the morning. Have you had a sleep study done? I used to be the same way until I had a sleep study done and they found that I had sleep apnea. That is when you stop breathing for periods of time while asleep. your body compensates by waking you up enough to breath again but that cycle prevents you from getting into the deep sleep stages that you need in order to feel rested the next day.  I now sleep with a sleep machine that keeps me breathing all night. It is a bear to get used to but it did make a world of difference in how I feel.   

My Dr. is into homeopathy too and always has something he wants me to take. I told him that unless my insurance pays for it I'm not interested. I have tried many strange and unusual things over the years and have only found one that actually works to any degree. My mom is always seeing adds for this or that that says it cures fibro or diabetes and before asking me about it she buys it for me. So I feel obligated to try it - but in the end they haven't done anything for me. One time she bought Celtic sea salt because it was supposed to cure everything under the sun. It was just a bag of brownish salt that was farmed on the coast of Ireland. (So why aren't the Irish all perfectly healthy?) The latest thing she bought was a protein powder and a sport drink like Gatorade that some church group was selling. Their thing was that you have to talk to at least 3 of their members and hear their testimonies of how the stuff healed them before you were allowed to buy it. I showed her a can of protein powder and a can of Gatorade that I already had and had her compare the ingredients. I felt bad bursting her bubble but she had bought the stuff for several of her friends - feeling sure that she had found the fountain of youth. I didn't want her to waste any more of her money. 

I agree with you that you need to do whatever it takes to keep you working. If a "cure" makes life harder, it isn't much of a cure.  I like my rheumatologist best for treating my fibro and arthritis issues. She is very calming and understanding. My family doctor is the one who is into the homeopathic stuff. He is actually a Stanford Dr. that recently moved out my way. My brother (who is a Dr. used to work with him and knew his reputation before I went to see him. He is brilliant and very thorough, but not always the best bedside manner as he is very busy and always in a hurry. I'm fairly assertive with him to make sure I get all my needs met - I even tell him to "slow down for a minute - I have questions to ask you before you bolt out." That always does the trick. He just smiles and sits down to listen (very difficult for him I know - but he tries hard). 

This post is getting too long, I'll start another just in case... 

October 4, 2005, 1:26 pm CDT

Gina part 2

I wanted to congratulate you for maintaining the 40 pound loss! That is absolutely fabulous! Yes it is difficult to feel good about the 20 pounds you got back but hey you are still 40 pounds down!  Scrawny 2  

Have you been doing the Dr. Phil Weight Loss Solution? It really is a practical and easy way to go. I say easy lightly. I know that is is never easy to change bad habits or to stop eating the way we are used to. But his plan is not a diet at all. It is a healthy way of living. It is different from fad diets in that you are training yourself to eat right so that you will have a healthy, thinner, body for the rest of your life. Believe me I know all too well how "dieting" doesn't work - sometime I'll tell you all about it. But I know that temporarily changing your eating habits may cause you to loose weight, but when you stop the "diet" you go back to your old habits - because you haven't actually learned or practiced a better way of eating - you have only "dieted" to reach a goal - not to change your life, so the weight comes back.  I have done this so many times.  

Anyway his plan is not just a plan for eating, it helps you discover shy you eat and helps you make changes and choices to improve your mental health and your emotional crutch (food). I sound like an add for his book don't I. I guess that is because I believe it is the healthiest long term solution out there. There are things about his plan that I have difficulty embracing, but overall I think it is sound. If you want we can discuss it in more detail later. Let me know.  There are some other books out there that I think are very good like the Schwarzbein Principal that treat the whole body and are focused on better health instead of just loosing weight.  

OK, my fingertips are wearing down, Talk with you later,  

Karen

October 6, 2005, 5:21 am CDT

GOOD MORNING TO ALL!!

HELLO AND GOOD MORNING TO YOU KAREN,REST OF THE LADIES!! 

YEAH THAT TO ME LOOKED FUNNY KAREN ,MAYBE HE DIDNT READ YOUR POST LOL....... 

WELL I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A HEALTHY DAY,MAKE THOSE CHOICES YOU KNOW ARE GOING TO MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD ABOUT YOURSELF. 

IF YOU GOT PAIN,TAKE IT EASY DONT PUSH YOURSELF TOO HARD BUT PUSH A BIT AND WORK YOUR WAY UP....THAT WAY YOU DONT HURT YOURSELF AND YOU WILL ACCOMPLISH SOME EXCERSIZE AND PLEASE TAKE A REST EVERY OTHER DAY SO YOUR BODY CAN HEAL. I KNOW I DO. 

TRISH(AKA WALKIN WOMEN) TAKE CARE AND GOD BLESS!! 

October 9, 2005, 10:52 pm CDT

so far so good

well once again it looks like the board is slowing down. I'm doing much better this week. My diet has been very healthy and I'm getting as much physical activity as I'm able without overdoing it - which isn't much, just a few minutes per day. But my blood preasure is going down a little every day, as is my heart rate. The pressure in my chest has nearly subsided (only a little now and then), and the chest pain is gone. I've even lost 2 pounds which is suprising since I haven't been doing much. My spirits are really good too. I do hope you all are well and still excited about your life. Take care, Karen

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last