Message Boards

Topic : 1.Diabetes? FMS? CFS? Chronic PAIN? Your WLC Home

Number of Replies: 547
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, July 06, 2005, 01:01:07 pm
Author : dataimport
For those of us who struggle with Chronic PAIN, DIABETES, FIBROMYALGIA, Chronic FATIGUE, or who take MEDICATIONS that work against your efforts to exercise or lose weight, this group is for you. Please join in and share your struggles and your knowledge. We need and can provide that special kind of understanding, empathy and help that traditional groups do not.

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 12, 2008, 6:29 am CDT

Fibromyalgia- What I am doing

Quote From: midnightmom

With fibromyalgia for over 10 years and pain with every step, I am now able to walk over a mile pain free. Six weeks ago I began reading, Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type, and within the first week noticed improvement. The list of foods to avoid was my first step. Our household is the same blood type and very supportive. However, all is not eutopia.  Even with diabetes under control, my weight is increasing 1/2 to 1 pounds per week for about 6 months. At first diagnosis and medication, I dropped 50 pounds in the first year and used toning tables as exercise because of the fibro pain. This is depressing because I'm eating better and exercising more. What's up with this?  Am waiting for a referral to see an endocrinologist. An herbalist says my adrenals are flat and my stress level is extremely high. Sleep is difficult and energy level is low.  Hopefully, help is on the way.

Hi, I too have fibro diagnosed this year. I plan on changing it through my diet, exercise and Reiki (I teach) I was happy to see you exercise with it because I feel it will be my biggest challenge..but I'm gonna give it my best. I tried an infared sauna yesterday and thought I"d try it again today:) Maybe you might consider this as well. I'ts supossed to help people like us. All the best to you on your journey:)

September 12, 2008, 3:15 pm CDT

Newbie to this Board, but not pain.

Hi everyone, I am struggling with so much and so happy to find this board. I suffer from ReA (Reactive Arthritis) an auto-immune disorder, Fibro, Depression and PTSD. I take so much medication, and my weight keeps going up and up. I am very limited in what I can do because of severe pain even with the Enbrel shots, Methotrexate shots, and around 30 pills and 8 vitamins or supplements daily.

I am disabled and can still drive an automatic car, but cannot walk far because of my knee and foot pain. Reactive Arthritis attacks the tendons and I basically have tendonitis all over my body. I have what feels like carpel tunnel and a hoarse voice because those are chords effected. I cannot write well or hold a pen. I can type, my fingers hurt a bit but when you type your fingers are not gripping. I drop so much. The worst thing I fight is the memory issues. If it is not the Fibro Fog, it is the depression.  My family is supportive, but honestly the house is not like I kept it before getting ill.  Having to give up many of my hobbies is another issue.  It hurts, really hurts deep down to stop doing what you love when you have no control over a disease. I cannot do the simplest chores, and it bugs me looking at the dirt I have to ask others to clean up. My family is supportive, but those who understand and have pain will understand why I say this.

Then there is the meds and weight gain. I was always a size 3 or 4, now I am down to a 10 comfortably because I lost 15 lbs when I had oral surgery. I am joining the weight challenge just to keep motivated to stay on track to eat healthy. I can only stretch or walk in a pool, no other exercise allowed. So, it's food or nothing. Then I am limited because of IBS, having my gall bladder out and complications, and lactose intollerance.  I can no longer eat salad (my favorite food), greens cooked or any raw veggies.  I am trying to be creative, but when you limit your fat to 20 grams, and calories to 1100 and do not lose a lb you get depressed. My calories are high protien, soy supplements and trying to do good carbs. Would love suggestions on snacks, I am eating small amts 6 times a day. My sugar was a little high last year, I am going for a blood test next week. I come from a family of diabetes both kinds. I have been watching my carbs for that reason alone. FYI: I do not have a glutton allergy, I was tested several times and my thyroid is checked several times a year.

All support and ideas are welcome.

Thank you,

Mary Kay

September 12, 2008, 3:19 pm CDT

There might be a reason

Quote From: grannyconnie

I am 45 and weight 320 pounds. And have diabetes,high blood pressure,very bad knees, and several other health problems. It is very hard to exercise to help to lose weight! Its not that I eat a whole lot. There are days that I am not even hungry, but I make myself eat something any way.

Maybe not eating enough is the issue. Your body might be in starvation mode because your not eating the recommyended calories. I am 5'1" and for me to lose weight I should never go below 1100 calories. No one should. The key is to eat the good calories. I would suggest Webmd.com for your BMI and calories to eat daily.

Good luck,

Mary Kay

October 9, 2008, 7:35 pm CDT

hi

I am 50 year old nana, who has severe ank spon and asthma. I have over time developed an allergic reaction to most anti inflams and out of desperation even tried taking celebrex (allergic to it) with a strong antihistimane  just to get to the gym.
 I try to walk around the block once a day after work with my partner.
My problem is I use food as a pain relief. MY snack time is at night with desserts being my biggest problem.
I know I eat too much for dinner, main course being mainly vegetables but the desserts kill.
How do I exercise more when every step causes pain and after 15 mins i loose feeling from the stenosis.
There are no pools to do water exercises. I know there are many in worse condition so how have you managed to exercise in pain.
Please any suggestions are welcome. I also regularly use self hypnosis for pain relief and tens unit.

November 10, 2008, 1:39 pm CST

A newbie.

Wish I knew how to make this text bigger! Brand new to this stuff....very confusing! Actually, not completely new....tried this a couple of years ago and gave up. I need to lose weight (@30 lbs). It is difficult because I have M.S. (relapse/remit) and Chronic Idiosympathic Pancreatitis. I also have a significant Mitral Valve Prolapse. I recently turned 59, so the metabolism, when combined with the health problems, is in the tank. But I am hopeful. I hope I'll be able to figure out how to do this board and I hope that the ensuent online friendships will bring help to myself and others. If anybody out there cares, please respond....and bonus points if you can tell me how to enlarge this script. Thanks, guys....Gorfina

April 17, 2009, 4:09 pm CDT

Keeping the weight off with chronic pain

Hi, I'm 42 and it's going on 24 years of living with constant chronic pain.   I used to be so active and vital and slowly that part of my life has been seeping away.   It hasn't been easy but I've learned some things over the years that have helped me manage.  

1. First and foremost, come to grips and learn to accept what has happened to your body.    I am not a god, and neither are my doctors.   Not all things have a cure or an easy fix.    Figure out what is fixable and what isn't and work from there.   My 7th grade science teacher told us once that people are capable of doing so much more than they think they are.   Boy was that true.   Be realistic but don't underestimate yourself.
  2. Depression can be a natural consequence of chronic pain but there is so much you can do about that.    Maybe this won't work for everyone but it sure has for me.   Its so important to recognize the role that negative thinking plays in your emotional state.   I don't think most people are really that aware of what thoughts are constantly passing through the back of  your mind.   You have to start paying attention to that and when you notice they are negative counter them with  possitive thoughts.   Here's the big secret.   YOU DON'T HAVE TO BELIEVE THE THOUGHT TO HAVE IT WORK.    In fact in the beginning, if you are quite depressed, I guarantee that you won't believe anything positive about yourself because depression generally only lets you see things in black and white terms.   It's like you have blinders on and all you can see is the negative.   So each day make a point to practice feeding yourself positive thoughts.   Eventually you will notice the train of your thoughts has altered and it doesn't take the effort it did in the beginning.
  3. Weight loss when you can't exercise due to pain can be really difficult.   Especially if your doctor has you on a medication that makes you eat everything in sight.    The only thing that has worked for me here has been to treat certain foods, such as chocolate (my big downfall) as completely off the menu.   I obviously can't stop eating things like dessert once I start so why not just give it up completely?   I know this sounds hard but believe me after about one month, your body adjusts and the cravings for that type of food goes away.     Since I can't get the cardiac exercise in with my chronic pain problems this is the solution I have come up with.    Its been very successful.   Over the past 5 years I have lost 40 pounds and I am now at the weight that I should be.    

These are the things that have worked for me.   Hopefully someone else will find them useful.

April 17, 2009, 4:13 pm CDT

Flector patch

Quote From: nanasusan

I am 50 year old nana, who has severe ank spon and asthma. I have over time developed an allergic reaction to most anti inflams and out of desperation even tried taking celebrex (allergic to it) with a strong antihistimane  just to get to the gym.
 I try to walk around the block once a day after work with my partner.
My problem is I use food as a pain relief. MY snack time is at night with desserts being my biggest problem.
I know I eat too much for dinner, main course being mainly vegetables but the desserts kill.
How do I exercise more when every step causes pain and after 15 mins i loose feeling from the stenosis.
There are no pools to do water exercises. I know there are many in worse condition so how have you managed to exercise in pain.
Please any suggestions are welcome. I also regularly use self hypnosis for pain relief and tens unit.
Hi, I also have problems with inflammatory pain and I can't take NSAIDS of any kind because they irritate my GI tract and cause bleeding.      Recently my doctor introduced me to something called a Flector patch.     It's an antiinflammatory NSAID but because it's a patch it doesn't pass through your stomach.     You just apply the patch where the pain and inflammation is and leave it on for 8 hours.       I've been quite impressed with them.

First | Prev | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | Next Page | Last Page