Message Boards

Topic : 1.Diabetes? FMS? CFS? Chronic PAIN? Your WLC Home

Number of Replies: 547
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, July 06, 2005, 01:01:07 pm
Author : dataimport
For those of us who struggle with Chronic PAIN, DIABETES, FIBROMYALGIA, Chronic FATIGUE, or who take MEDICATIONS that work against your efforts to exercise or lose weight, this group is for you. Please join in and share your struggles and your knowledge. We need and can provide that special kind of understanding, empathy and help that traditional groups do not.

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 10, 2005, 6:56 am CDT

Nomi, Karen, Cherie, Rose and Vicki...

and anyone else I missed or has joined since....why did you choose to post here?  What i mean is do you have Diabetes or FMS or CFS etc? 

As I stated I have CFS since 1992.  Look forward to chatting with you and being able to discuss hints of what you do on bad days to stay on "key'. 

Marie 

August 10, 2005, 11:45 am CDT

Thank Goodness!

Quote From: nominatio1

Karen, I am so happy to hear from you. Iam thrilled that you found your way back onto the board. I, too, had difficulties and I was so dissappointed when the boards were gone.
Thanks for asking about my surgery: It was about one month ago and both ovaries were removed, which put me into immediate menopause. I do have hot flashes which I think are exacerbated by the even the low dose of prozac which has sweating as one of the side effects. The good news is that three was no C!.
I went home the same day which was a mistake as the pain was just beyond description. I had insisted on it because of my daughter.
I have been back to work for about 2 weeks and I am recovering nicely. I started exercising again after one week of having the surgery.
Please let us know how you are doing.
I do not have Grace's e-mail and I could have also contacted her. I hope that she is doing ok.
I look forward to hearing more of you and wish everyone a good evening. Nomi

Hi Nomi, Thank Goodness everything turned out well. I'm very happy to hear that you are back to work and feeling better now.    

I'm in menopause too, but without surgery. But the problem is that since I stopped menstruating I gain weight like mad (I have an appointment with the Dr. this week to see what the problem is). In 2 years I haven't had a major weight gain until now and it is very disturbing. I told my friend that I stopped menstruating and started gaining and she immediately wondered if I was pregnant. Not a chance!  But we had a good chuckle. The weight has brought back some of my old fibro aches and pains, so I guess my theory that weight makes it worse was correct. I just had to find out the hard way. :(   

I was just getting into a size 12 as of this Spring. Now I'm buying my old sizes again. I had bought a summer wardrobe in size 12 - I gave it to my daughter-in-law who has gained since they were married and is now in a size 12. She is very large boned and 6 feet tall and looks great.  

They were here for over a week and left last Sunday. It is so much fun to be with them and it is always hard to say goodbye. I wish we lived closer. It is so much fun to have a daughter now! I have all boys so their wives are(/will be) my only daughters. I just love her. It is so much fun to just sit and talk about things that the guys wouldn't ever think of talking about. And while they are off doing their guy things I have a companion for the first time ever! She is great.  (OK, brag session over) 

Take Care, 

Karen 

August 10, 2005, 11:51 am CDT

Hello there Marie

Quote From: puptent

hope I didnt miss anyone. 

I am new to this board since the changes to the entire board.   

As I explained in a previous message I have CFS since 1992.  I found it difficult at times to do exercise when I am having a bad day.  I am trying to follow the keys and I have about 70 pounds to lose. 

Glad to see the board more active as you all can relate. 

Marie 

Hi Marie, I'm glad to meet you. I have CFS too - as well as FMS and diabetes to name a few. Today I forced myself to get up at 11:00am and that was only because my mom called and is going to come over in an hour. I have had company for nearly 2 weeks and before that I was in a mad rush to get my laundry room remodeled and my house clean before they got here. So for the last 3 days I've been recuperating - sleeping and lazing around - but today I put a hopeful smiley on my messages because I'm beginning to feel better. I haven't met anyone else with CFS so if you don't mind I'd like to ask some questions of you sometime.  

Got to run for now, 

Take Care,  

Karen 

August 10, 2005, 1:33 pm CDT

Hi Karen....

ask away.... 

I hope I have answers for you!   

My MIL has CFS and FM.  I thank goodness DO NOT have FM.   

Marie 

August 10, 2005, 8:56 pm CDT

Hi Karen, Marie, and everyone

Good to hear from you. Karen, I understand about the menopausal weight gain, although I have had a fairly good response weight wise since my surgery. I lost a few pounds and I am still hanging in there. I do have hot flashes and sweating, which I was hoping to avoid. But, I will deal with it.  I found that exercising is the best remedy although as of last Saturday I have not exercised as I am having another one of these dreaded sinus infections. I am trying to pace myself.

Marie, I have Fibromialgia that is why I am also posting on this site. I know that exercise is not always possible especially when you are dealing with a flare-up of Fibro of CFS, but try to get back at it when you can.

Karen, it's great that you have such a great relationship with your dtr and dtr-in-laws. If I were one of those I would love you, too (smile)

Take good care and God bless. Nomi

August 11, 2005, 6:04 am CDT

Nomi...I am also on 1st things first for UWC

and on there they are doing an IE challenge this month.  I joined in and on my bad days (like yesterday for example) I pushed myself and went for a walk with my two kids.  IT was tough but I have been doing it.  One day I went to my SIL's house and she has a pool and I swimming, even though it is exercise, to be relaxing.  On my good days, I pop in one of my kids song tapes and we dance and sing and have fun making fools of ourselves!  

I have been lucky that on my bad days so far this month I have been able to push it but I know that there will be a bad day where I won't want to get out of bed and then I will drag myself to the couch and let the kids play in the livingroom so I can rest or if hubby or older kids are home then I stay in bed... 

Marie 

August 11, 2005, 12:02 pm CDT

Bad Day Blues

Quote From: puptent

and on there they are doing an IE challenge this month.  I joined in and on my bad days (like yesterday for example) I pushed myself and went for a walk with my two kids.  IT was tough but I have been doing it.  One day I went to my SIL's house and she has a pool and I swimming, even though it is exercise, to be relaxing.  On my good days, I pop in one of my kids song tapes and we dance and sing and have fun making fools of ourselves!  

I have been lucky that on my bad days so far this month I have been able to push it but I know that there will be a bad day where I won't want to get out of bed and then I will drag myself to the couch and let the kids play in the livingroom so I can rest or if hubby or older kids are home then I stay in bed... 

Marie 

Hi Marie,  

On bad days, I go back and fourth between trying to relax and recuperate, and pushing myself to get up and do something. I generally leave Mondays alone and keep it as my weekly recuperation day - because the weekends, with my husband home and all the weekend activities, (church is so early in the am), that by Monday I'm bushed. I guess I figure that if I schedule in a recoup day once a week then I will be more successful at pushing myself the rest of the week.  

This last Spring I went through a period when I allowed myself to sit and do next to nothing for a couple of weeks and boy, I don't want to do that again. It was as if the less I did the less I wanted to do and it turned into a long term pity party for 1. After that I realized that I have to push myself every day to do as much as I am able. And generally I am able to do much more than I imagined I could.   

I hate waking up, but I force myself to anyway. Generally I feel better after I shower and get dressed. But on bad days that can be a difficult decision to make. On those days, showering seems like an insurmountable task - and afterwords I need to take a break. OK I know somewhere out there someone is chuckling - but it is true, with chronic fatigue, even showering seems physically overwhelming.  

One thing I know for sure is that when I'm watching my diet and eating right and exercising as much as possible, I feel much better overall. For me, pity parties and chocolate go hand-in-hand so I try to remember that when I want to scarf down a bag of chocolate chips.  :)  

Take Care, 

Karen 

August 11, 2005, 12:18 pm CDT

So wseet - thanks

Quote From: nominatio1

Good to hear from you. Karen, I understand about the menopausal weight gain, although I have had a fairly good response weight wise since my surgery. I lost a few pounds and I am still hanging in there. I do have hot flashes and sweating, which I was hoping to avoid. But, I will deal with it.  I found that exercising is the best remedy although as of last Saturday I have not exercised as I am having another one of these dreaded sinus infections. I am trying to pace myself.

Marie, I have Fibromialgia that is why I am also posting on this site. I know that exercise is not always possible especially when you are dealing with a flare-up of Fibro of CFS, but try to get back at it when you can.

Karen, it's great that you have such a great relationship with your dtr and dtr-in-laws. If I were one of those I would love you, too (smile)

Take good care and God bless. Nomi

Hi Nomi, 

Ah, so maybe my weight gain is related to my hormonal upheaval. I hope my Dr. can suggest something that will help me get back down to where I was. It feels very discouraging to see all my hard work and diligence vanish before my - uh, scales. I've been feeling torn between giving in and getting motivated. I'm still in limbo between the two right now. It has been such a long slow process to loose weight and it came rushing back on so quickly; it doesn't seem fair. Actually it isn't fair, but then who said life (or body functioning) was fair.   

Oh, I remember how bad your sinus infections can be. Didn't you just have one earlier in the summer? You poor thing.  Are they allergy related (explaining the summer/fall infections)? My allergies can start out simply as an irritation but then trigger my weak spots (asthma and bronchial infections). That is why I take allergy medicine - to keep from getting the related illnesses.  

Hope you feel better soon, 

Karen 

August 11, 2005, 2:42 pm CDT

Recuperation days...

Quote From: wildjoy1

Hi Marie,  

On bad days, I go back and fourth between trying to relax and recuperate, and pushing myself to get up and do something. I generally leave Mondays alone and keep it as my weekly recuperation day - because the weekends, with my husband home and all the weekend activities, (church is so early in the am), that by Monday I'm bushed. I guess I figure that if I schedule in a recoup day once a week then I will be more successful at pushing myself the rest of the week.  

This last Spring I went through a period when I allowed myself to sit and do next to nothing for a couple of weeks and boy, I don't want to do that again. It was as if the less I did the less I wanted to do and it turned into a long term pity party for 1. After that I realized that I have to push myself every day to do as much as I am able. And generally I am able to do much more than I imagined I could.   

I hate waking up, but I force myself to anyway. Generally I feel better after I shower and get dressed. But on bad days that can be a difficult decision to make. On those days, showering seems like an insurmountable task - and afterwords I need to take a break. OK I know somewhere out there someone is chuckling - but it is true, with chronic fatigue, even showering seems physically overwhelming.  

One thing I know for sure is that when I'm watching my diet and eating right and exercising as much as possible, I feel much better overall. For me, pity parties and chocolate go hand-in-hand so I try to remember that when I want to scarf down a bag of chocolate chips.  :)  

Take Care, 

Karen 

Karen -- 

I do that too.  Not necessarily Mondays -- but the day after I have done something strenuous or even just something that took me out of the house all day.  For eaxample, when I have a CFS doctor appointment -- it is in NYC so to take the two kids and go to the city just for a 20 minute appointment becomes an all day venture; so I don't do ANYTHING the next day. 

There may be someone chuckling out there and I hope that they never come down with CFS because it knocks you right off your feet.  I was always very active -- I was working three jobs when I became ill and tried to fight it.  I passed out at work pushing myself.  I had to slow down.  Now I push myself but only because I know my limitations and   what it will cost me the next day etc.  As for shower being exhausting -- just climbing the stairs to go to bed some nights was overwhemling!  So I know what you mean!   

But yes, I have noticed that exercising and dieting and having a wonderful husband rather the stress of my ex whom I was married to when I became ill have ALL helped me.  I still am not cured but some days I forget I am sick (even my kids forget soemtimes!) 

Marie 

P.S.  You said that you had questions for me? 

August 11, 2005, 8:58 pm CDT

Hello Karen, Marie and everyone

Thanks for your kind posts. It is always good to hear from you.
I started execising again today, (at home ) which is a good sign, I am not over the sinus thing but I feel that I am getting better. I will see if I can go to the Gym tomorrow. I sure want to. I am proud of myself that I was able to pace myself and not push to exercise when I felt bad. I guess this is progress, too. In the past I would have pushed right through and gotten worse.
Karen what seems to help me, (with weight loss)if I can manage it, is not to eat after a certain time at night.(around 7PM) I am able to do it more than before, and I can see that when I am able to do it, it shows on the scale. So, this is motivating for me. I also take green tea extract capsules and drink green tea in the morning.
Hang in there everyone. Marie, thanks for sharing re the IE challenge on the other site. In my case, IE has become such a "norm" for me, that I it is a part of my life now. I miss it when I cannot work out for some reason. I know also how crucial exercise is to health.
Good night everyone. "Talk" to you probably on Saturday. Nomi

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last