Message Boards

Topic : 08/08 Weddings Gone Bad

Number of Replies: 203
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 16, 2007, 10:15:51 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 03/19/07) Drunken fistfights, motorcycle accidents and police helicopters hovering above … not exactly the building blocks of an ideal wedding. Today’s guests say their perfect day was anything but! From nightmare weather to emergency room visits, these weddings went horribly wrong, and the newlyweds say their marriages are suffering because they can’t get past the painful memories. Nicole says she and her husband-to-be, T.J., promised each other to abstain from alcohol prior to their wedding ceremony, but T.J. broke that promise and got so drunk, he could barely recite his vows! Their special day went from bad to worse when T.J. turned violent, and the police were called. T.J. says he’s apologized enough, and it’s time for Nicole to forgive and forget. Then, Paul and Monica say many things went wrong on their wedding day, but the worst was when they rode off on a motorcycle, only to crash as they turned the corner. They’ve been married for five years and say their wedding calamity set off a curse, dooming them forever. What does Dr. Phil think? How can these couples say “I do” to a brighter future? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 19, 2007, 9:22 am CDT

Get real

I plan events of all kinds - it's my full-time job.  And I can tell you that there is no such thing as a perfect event.  There will always be something that goes wrong, major or minor, few or many glitches.  Things that you can plan for and things you can't - I mean who can control the weather?  or traffic?  or the behavior of other people?   The important thing is beginning your marriage.  And all you need for the ceremony is the couple and the officiant(s).  The band, the cake, the dance, the dress, and the little favors are all nice to have, but they are hardly essential to a happy marriage. 

There are no guarantees for anyone and if something makes your wedding less than perfect, then you'd better learn to roll with it because it is just the beginning.  There will always be something that goes wrong somewhere in your life, and obsessing over a ruined cake or a missed cue is just petty.  There are far worse things that could happen in your life than not having a "perfect" day.  So focus on your marriage - supposedly that is why you are having the ceremony in the first place. 

March 19, 2007, 9:46 am CDT

Great Husband Material!

Let's see, got so sloppy drunk on his wedding that he could barley stand up and gets in a fist fight with his best man and punches his father-in-law?!?!? That's just wonderful. Very mature and responsible adult! Sounds like fantastic husband and father material to me!!

And my question is during their entire courtship, he's never displayed any of this type behavior before?!?! Someone doesn't just go nuts like this out of the blue, drunk or not. I'm sure there's a pattern here somehwhere, like when Dr. Phil asked him if he's had anything to drink and his reply was "not today." Definately not a response I would expect from someone who DOESN'T have a problem with booze. But, as they say, love is blind.

Nicole, you picked him, now your stuck with him. Good luck!

It never ceases to amaze me how these beautiful girls end up picking these losers!

I've got news for T.J. He's lucky he's not my son-in-law. There wouldn't have been enough of him to scrape up off the floor with a putty knife.

G.

March 19, 2007, 10:03 am CDT

03/19 Weddings Gone Bad

Quote From: penny_lady

These people think they are "cursed"....?

Sigh.  Well, they at least appear to have some judgment issues.  Wedding dress on a motorcycle?  What were they thinking?  Didn't Isadora Duncan get killed by wearing a long scarf in a small sports car?

If it had been here in SE Texas, it would have been pouring rain, tornadoes, and there would have been a herd of cattle running loose through the parking lot.  And maybe a raccoon or two raiding the reception buffet.  ;-)

As far as I'm concerned, as long as nobody gets killed or left at the altar, it's salvageable.  The last laugh is when you've been happily married for 25 years and can tell the story of your "wedding from Hell" as a comical anecdote.

March 19, 2007, 10:14 am CDT

03/19 Weddings Gone Bad

I don't get this, either.  If you allow a wedding, no matter how gone awry, to spoil your marriage, you were way too wrapped up in the fairytale fantasy in the first place and not paying attention to the marriage.  I've already decided if I get married, it's going to be small.  A trip to the JP in boots and jeans would be A-OK with me if I met somebody I really loved that much. 

And haven't we learned yet to stop raising our little girls to fantasize about a huge blow-out Cinderella wedding?  Every single one of these Wedding Gone Bad/Bridezilla/My Big Day Was Ruined/etc. shows starts out with some woman saying, "Every little girl dreams about her big white wedding . . . "  Really?  I've never dreamed about a big white wedding.  I had lots of little girl dreams (a pony, mostly) but nobody ever filled my head with the Big White Wedding bugaboo.  Fill your daughters' heads with dreams of PhD's or being on the board at UNICEF or winning the Tevis Cup or something, anything, but don't raise her to think that a poofy dress and buttercream icing mark her entry to the adult world.

I mean, it's fine and dandy to want a nice wedding--everyone wants a nice wedding (even I'd appreciate it if my theoretical day at the courthouse went well)--but there needs to be a little reality check.

March 19, 2007, 10:19 am CDT

test

test to see where there are formatting issues

pargraph2

and 3

and 4

March 19, 2007, 10:32 am CDT

Well said!

Quote From: kleesun

I don't get this, either.  If you allow a wedding, no matter how gone awry, to spoil your marriage, you were way too wrapped up in the fairytale fantasy in the first place and not paying attention to the marriage.  I've already decided if I get married, it's going to be small.  A trip to the JP in boots and jeans would be A-OK with me if I met somebody I really loved that much. 

And haven't we learned yet to stop raising our little girls to fantasize about a huge blow-out Cinderella wedding?  Every single one of these Wedding Gone Bad/Bridezilla/My Big Day Was Ruined/etc. shows starts out with some woman saying, "Every little girl dreams about her big white wedding . . . "  Really?  I've never dreamed about a big white wedding.  I had lots of little girl dreams (a pony, mostly) but nobody ever filled my head with the Big White Wedding bugaboo.  Fill your daughters' heads with dreams of PhD's or being on the board at UNICEF or winning the Tevis Cup or something, anything, but don't raise her to think that a poofy dress and buttercream icing mark her entry to the adult world.

I mean, it's fine and dandy to want a nice wedding--everyone wants a nice wedding (even I'd appreciate it if my theoretical day at the courthouse went well)--but there needs to be a little reality check.

Well said!  Just as with funerals, there is way too much money spent on weddings today.  Heck, for $20,000, you can go to St. Lucia, have a wedding on a beautiful island, a great honeymoon, and have money to furnish your house!

Did these problems just show up for the first time on the wedding day?  No hint before that?  I doubt that.

I never dreamed about a big wedding, either.  After all, it is just a day in a life.  The amount of money spent has nothing to do with the success of the marriage.  Things go wrong in life.  As a country song goes, "If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans."  Put on your big girl panties and deal with it.

March 19, 2007, 11:36 am CDT

wedding gone bad

March 19, 2007, 11:44 am CDT

wedding gone bad

Are you kidding me these people have no idea what a bad wedding day is . On my wedding day I had a miscarriage spet my honneymoon in the hospital bleeding  eventually having a DNC . Now  I can't  look at my wedding pictures without that memory. I'll never forget having my wedding dress on looking down at the blood comming from me. So If the music was'nt right or the catering did'nt get it right ,or the limo broke down rember its all realtive. 2 children later I still can't look at my wedding pictures. But I do love my husband and I'm glad that I married him.

March 19, 2007, 12:03 pm CDT

03/19 Weddings Gone Bad

I was pretty entertained learning about today's show and what some people consider weddings from hell.  My husband and I will celebrate our 22nd anniversary this year.....quite a feat after our start.  You see, we lost half of my husband's family in an airplane crash as they were coming to our wedding.  It was difficult to say the least; do we continue with the ceremony?  How do we handle everything and everyone?  All I can say is that the first year of our marriage was very difficult with all the emotions of loss, etc.  And, of course, Dr. Phil mentioned some of the horrible experiences were really rather minor;  the point is what we must learn from it!  We have certainly had our ups and downs, but I will tell you, my goal after our wedding was this:  "We must work hard to keep this marriage together.  How guilty would I feel if we lost so many people in such a horrible tragedy if our marriage failed.....   Well, so far so good...it helps when you have a wonderful commited spouse as I do!

March 19, 2007, 12:10 pm CDT

Why did they say "I do?"

As I type this, Dr. Phil is stating my thoughts.

Why did the women bother to say "I do?"

What did they expect from the husband if they don't have sense

enough not to drink on their wedding day?

Fighting with the cops, the best man, roughing up the bride?

I'm surprised these two are still married.

Stupid is as stupid does. Ladies, young ladies, take note.

Most men worth having would never behave as such during

a wedding, any wedding, your wedding.

The men say get over it. I say get a clue.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last