Message Boards

Topic : 03/26 The Dr. Phil House: Teen Intervention Follow-Up

Number of Replies: 90
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 23, 2007, 10:06:27 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Alex was an out-of-control 14-year-old who was stealing, running away, doing drugs and prostituting herself to older men when her family turned her in to Dr. Phil. After a tumultuous stay in The Dr. Phil House, Alex said goodbye to her mother, Kim, her grandmother, Jeanette, and her aunt, Enza, and headed to a therapeutic academy to be in a healthy learning environment. Six weeks have passed since Alex left and her family returned home without her. How has she adjusted to her new structured environment? Have Kim, Jeanette and Enza put aside their judgments and accusations, and come together once and for all? As Kim prepares for her daughter’s return, has she turned around the toxic family environment that contributed to Alex’s unhealthy behavior? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 26, 2007, 10:07 am CDT

Why is the aunt always the one?!

Quote From: beckyleigh

If Dr. Phil can do something with Aunt Enza, I think the girl and her mom will be okay.  Enza needs to butt out and stay at her own house.  This woman has gotten this young girl so torn and confused.  I believe that her mother loves her and is trying to help her.  Teens can be very difficult, and being the perfect parent is difficult too.  A mother and daughter can go through struggles together, help each other and survive it....as long as there is not a negative influence like Aunt Enza. 

Good luck Dr. Phil......

Still can't believe some of you still think the aunt is 99% of the problem. The aunt didn't raise the child...mommy did. The aunt is not in the house with the child all the time; mommy is. The aunt isn't the one making bad choices that affect the children...mommy is (HOPEFULLY WAS...past tense).

The "struggles" you mentioned between mother and daughter were not NORMAL struggles. There's a big red flag when a 10-yr-old is having sex and a mother's response is to take her for birth control!  That should one HUGE red flag and it does say LOADS about the mother.

All the women in this chaotic, dysfunctional family had problems. HOPEFULLY they are all working on themselves AND their relationship with the problemed teen. God bless her, them and everyone else in this horrible living situation. Life is just too short to be so miserable!

March 26, 2007, 11:27 am CDT

I think that after she got help,she should have backed off.

Quote From: ddsharper

she was responsible for getting the child some help, I think I'd have screamed loud enough for Robin and Dr. Phil to have heard, across country. Sheesh. Okay already.
Enza came across on the previous shows as being negatively involved. She would talk trash about Kim to Alex behind Kim's back. I just don't see the point in that. She appeared to be manipulative and underhanded. I can't see what good she did in the house except cause a ruckus. Maybe the show would have been too dull without her.

March 26, 2007, 11:27 am CDT

Enza

My goodness Enza, I hope you don't break your arm while patting yourself on the back.

March 26, 2007, 11:32 am CDT

You're right, Enza didn't raise Alex.

Quote From: flthomcat

Still can't believe some of you still think the aunt is 99% of the problem. The aunt didn't raise the child...mommy did. The aunt is not in the house with the child all the time; mommy is. The aunt isn't the one making bad choices that affect the children...mommy is (HOPEFULLY WAS...past tense).

The "struggles" you mentioned between mother and daughter were not NORMAL struggles. There's a big red flag when a 10-yr-old is having sex and a mother's response is to take her for birth control!  That should one HUGE red flag and it does say LOADS about the mother.

All the women in this chaotic, dysfunctional family had problems. HOPEFULLY they are all working on themselves AND their relationship with the problemed teen. God bless her, them and everyone else in this horrible living situation. Life is just too short to be so miserable!

Yes Kim made a LOT of ,IMO questionable decisions about Alex. She definitely needs to revamp her parenting skills. But other than getting them TO the DrPhil house, all Enza did on the shows was keep things in an uproar. If I had seen a more positive attitude toward the situation from her,I would feel completely different.

March 26, 2007, 12:02 pm CDT

03/26 The Dr. Phil House: Teen Intervention Follow-Up

Quote From: monroenme

her Aunt Enza keeps her backstabbing ass out of it!  Enza is nothing but trouble to this family and they would have all been better off if SHE were the one that got sent away!  Enza did nothing but cause problems the entire time she was with the family at The Dr. Phil House.

It's also interesting to see people posting their views on the situation when the first line in their opinion is that they never even saw the show! 

I am hoping that Alex is feeling better about herself and that she can now get on with her life in a positive environment.  As long as she and her mother can openly communicate without the screaming matches I think she (Alex) will find that her mother loves her dearly and only has her best interests at heart.  Kids grow up so fast these days and outside influences can be so damaging.  I'm glad I grew up in the 60's and 70's and had a loving family that I wasn't afraid to talk to.  I saw a lot of young people my age that had taken a wrong path and made a lot of bad decisions.  In most of these cases I think it's a case of kids looking for approval and love, no matter where they get it.  I wish nothing but the best for Alex, her mother, and her grandmother.  As for Enza; before you start tearing someone else apart why don't you take a good look at your own life.  I'm sure there are enough demons in your own home to deal with and you need some serious help in your own life.  Stay out of Alex's and her moms life and fix your own!

So...someone who hasn't seen the show can't have an opinion?!  There are enough synopses here to make up for not seeing the show.  And I can't speak for everyone here, but I can only watch the show on my very few days off!

March 26, 2007, 12:11 pm CDT

Why The Aunt Is Always The One

Quote From: flthomcat

I understand your point of view very clearly.  The aunt, the grandmother and the mother all played roles in raising her and in influencing her choices in life.  The mother was the prime mover in this.  So, what you say is right. 

What we see in these posts is a reaction to the shows themselves.  In that capacity, the aunt was so far beyond anyone else in the area of making a fool of her self, she left many viewers with so strong a negative feeling toward her that the comments reflect the viewer distaste of her. 

A ten year old who is sexually active is headed for huge problems.  Where I disagree with you on that is that the mother is behaving responsibly by ensuring the child has some protection.  Abstinence on the part of the teen is the far better option, but if the situation is out of control, contraceptives are a wise choice.  Regardless of the influences on her, it is sad that a child that age would even consider sex as an option.

Let's all hope mother and daughter can get this under control and live fairly normal lives here on out.  The aunt and the grandmother should stay out of it and let the mother be the mother. 

March 26, 2007, 12:13 pm CDT

The Aunt

Quote From: housewife52

Enza came across on the previous shows as being negatively involved. She would talk trash about Kim to Alex behind Kim's back. I just don't see the point in that. She appeared to be manipulative and underhanded. I can't see what good she did in the house except cause a ruckus. Maybe the show would have been too dull without her.
The aunt should have never been involved.  She would have a negative impact on anyone.  Her real concern was evident when the cameras were rolling.

March 26, 2007, 12:22 pm CDT

03/26 The Dr. Phil House: Teen Intervention Follow-Up

Quote From: maria3255

I haven't seen the show yet, but I hope for Alex's sake that her Mother, grandmother and Aunt are not going to judge her and show antagonism towards her.  Alex would have learned many positive things about herself and how to live her life, so i hope she will come home to an atmosphere of love, patience, kindness and understanding. Such is my hope.

Lory(Australia) 

I don't really feel that there will be a problem with the attitudes of the mother, grandmother and aunt toward the child.  I would hope they can give her a better example of how adults can get along.  That has been a real shortcoming in this case.  No one has stepped up and served as the moral example to the child.  I think her mother can and will do this.  This is the child's best hope.

March 26, 2007, 12:29 pm CDT

Curious

Quote From: anon_slc

Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) is a serious psychological disorder characterized by pervasive instability in moods, interpersonal relationships, self-image, and behavior.  This instability often disrupts family and work life, long-term planning, and the individual's sense of self-identity. 

While less known than schizophrenia or bipolar disorder (manic-depressive illness), BPD is more common, affecting 2% of adults (1-33), mostly women.  Some of my favorite books that provide a great introduction and insight are:

The Psychology of Female Violence by Anna Motz

Get Me Out of Here:  My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder by Rachel Reiland OR The Angry Heart:  Overcoming Borderline and Addictive Disorders by Joseph Santoro and Ronald Cohen

Understanding the Borderline Mother:  Helping Her Children Transcend the Intense, Unpredictable and Volatile Relationship by Christine Ann Lawson  

Stop Walking on Eggshells:  Taking Your Life Back When Someone You Know Has Borderline Personality Disorder by Paul Mason and Randi Kreger

How to Journal for Therapy:

http://arar.essortment.com/therapyjournali_repu.htm 

Though harder to spot, emotional abuse is easier to deny.  But just as physical and sexual abuse have signposts to mark their presence, emotional abuse, being a systematic attack on one's sense of self, has common traits.  Just as physical and sexual abuse come in degrees of severity, emotional abuse runs the gamut of intensity and damage.

Hope it helps!

I have noticed that you cite references about the assorted issues that are raised on the programs, but I do no recall your opinions being voiced.  IF that's the case, I am curious as to why that would be.

March 26, 2007, 12:40 pm CDT

I agree...

Quote From: redusa40

She doesn't care. She doesn't care, at all!  90% of her whole agenda was to look like a hero and the other  10% to vent against Alex's mother.  Too bad she's so transparent. How stupid does she think we are??

Enza's agenda is to divide mother and daughter...my sister did the same thing to me with my children.  Stems from deep seated anger, hate and jealousy. 

Kim needs to be the #1 woman in Alex's life. 

Kim's mother is a beautiful soul that needs to let go and start enjoying her own life.

Enza has to go.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last