Message Boards

Topic : 03/27 Fifteen Minutes of Fame

Number of Replies: 175
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 23, 2007, 10:07:43 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
With reality TV and the virtual worlds of MySpace and YouTube, becoming an instant star is easier than ever. But to what lengths will some people go for fortune and fame? Two producers, Michael and Perry, attempt to find out in their new documentary, American Cannibal. Many contestants say they would eat a finger, cut off a toe and even starve themselves to death just to get their 15 minutes of fame! Then, Brian is so desperate for a rich-and-famous lifestyle that he’s willing to give up his virginity on national TV. Brian says losing his innocence for millions is a good career move, but what happens if he doesn’t make the cut on the show? And, Somaya insists that self-promotion on the Internet has made her a celebrity who attends red carpet events. Her best friend, Alysia, says using the Web for publicity is so dangerous, it even garnered Somaya a stalker! Is Alysia really concerned for her friend, or is she just jealous? Plus, Sam, an unforgettable contestant on the reality show The Apprentice, reveals for the first time how he hit rock bottom chasing the celebrity dream. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 31, 2007, 5:53 pm CDT

then they pay for it...

Quote From: ohdang13

I have to say that Society as a whole seems to be taking a very strange turn. I remember growing up and people valued their private lives. There was a time when being in the spot light was not the number 1 priority in peoples lives.  Priority when I was young and for my parents was to get a good job, have a nice home, raise decent kids and treat people the way you would like to be treated.  It was about helping your friends and neighbors in a time of need and putting the well -being of your family first.

But this generation seems to be missing that memo. This is certainly the "ME" gereration.  Teenagers and young adults are so concerned about only themselves and to hell with family and close friends. There is no honor in what they say. The ME generation does not understand the concept of " your word in your bond".

The ME generation has only one TRUE goal it seems and that is to have as many people around the world see their faces. They don't even want to try and do anything worth while to deserve that attention.  They just pull out a video phone and record stupid, brainless things and post them all over the internet.  Then they just sit back and wait to see how many people will look at the video. And of course they go to all their friends and try to get some sort of bragging rights for that stupid video.

The ME generation appears to be lacking something huge in their lives...Dignity and self-worth.  My grandmother always said, "Life is more than just the sum of its parts."  The ME generation needs some form of self-gradification to feel like they fit in or are worthy of someones attention. 

Just because someone can see your face on the t.v. or over the internet does not validate your self-worth. It seems more like a huge cry for attention and they are willing to take whatever they can get.  It is such a shame that this generation has lost its self-worth and true meaning in life.

And just think, when all of us are in the stage of life where we can't  take care of ourselves anymore, we will be relying on the ME generation to look after us. I find that rather scarey.  This generation already has so little respect for elderly...I can not imagine what 30 years from now will be like.  For all of our sakes, I hope to see a new and better turn for human kind in the near future.

in 10 years when they looking for a job, the employer does a search on them and nude pics and DUI's pop up.

I only pose nakid in the shower... I don't wanna scare anyone.  Giving up virginity on a reality tv show........... what if he couldn't find a girl that would wanna take it?

Pearl

April 1, 2007, 11:35 pm CDT

We are on the same wave length

Quote From: ceildh1

Personally, I don't think a slap on the rear ever hurt anyone either, I received a few growing up, I was one of those kids that laughed at "Time Out " hehe, but this Mom was taking it over the line, she was cuffing the child in the head, she was out of control.

Our children are told that NO ONE is allowed to touch you if you do not want them to, and for the victims of abuse, that was what they needed to hear, but we went too far the other way.  At one time, at least where I live a rural farming community, if a sixteen year old had the NERVE to call his father outside, well sorry the kid gets what he asks for.  But if he hits his father, that's fine, the boy was angry or frustrated, but if Dad hits back, well there's hell to pay.  I don't belive in violence, don't get me wrong here, but I've told my two (17 & 15 ) you hit me, you'd better be able to run faster scared than I can mad, they've never tested that and both of them

dwarf me, big time.

My son (15) was angry with me the other day, he wasn't allowed outside or for his friends to come over until his room was cleaned ( reasonable request I thought, but I'm the Mom what do I know right ?), he ranted and raved for a while, and told me he'd call the kids help phone because I yelled at him, I gave him the phone number he never did call I always said when they can pay the bills, then they can run the house, I was lucky though they aren't perfect, but they are kids I can be proud of.

I heard a two year old drop an F-bomb on his mother at the Mall, she thought it was " Cute " give me a break, and I am young to have teens (37) but it seems to me the ones older than I am are the ones who want their children as friends, I don't, I have enough "Friends " so do the kids, I am there to make sure they make it to adulthood and become contributing memebers of society, some of the kids I see now will be lucky to be able to hold a job, because someone may have the nerve to inform them the world does NOT revolve around them, despite what their parents have led them to belive.

Well now I'm ranting, time to get to work, BLECH , think I might have to visit the Drive Thru first though, the caffeine is wearing off again.

I am also a 37 y.o. mom with 3 teens...17, 16 & 15...a son and 2 daughters. I have let my kids know that I love then dearly but I am not their buddy.  And I have also let my kids know, the day you think you can take me on is the day we step outside to clarify a few things.

I think the fine line between a good spanking and child abuse have been blurred. A good slap on the butt has never killed anyone. I know growing up my parents used a switch to tan my backside. Now there's some pain for you...lol.  Time out never worked for me either. I would just sit in my room and think, Man did I get off easy or what?

A few years ago we had a family reunion at my Grandpa's home. (my dad's, dad). While at the dinner table my Grandpa made a comment and my father took a tone that was less than respectfull to my Grandpa. The next thing I know my Grandpa had reached across the table and slapped my father right in the mouth.  My Grandpa said, " Boy, as long as you are in my home you will show me proper respect!  I am still your father and until the day I die I will remain so! "

Needless to say, I was suprised at the whole thing but I understand where my Grandpa was coming from. And I will say, my father has not disrespected Grandpa again.

And you know, those people who let their little ones drop the F-bomb or use other bad words, just make me sick. I find nothing amusing about a 2 y.o. who can cuss better than I can.  There is nothing funny in that. I guess these parents do not realize everything your child says or does reflects back on you as a parent.

And I will also say, my kids are NO saints...not even close. They do test me and the rules on a constant basis, but they also get punished for every attempt they make. My kids have never had anything just handed over to them. Everything they have they have had to earn. And now that they are old enough to work they now supply themselves with the things they want.  I give them food and place to live, but they had to buy their own cars, pay for the Ins. and all upkeep on the cars. They provide their own clothing and the electronics they think they need.

But, if they break any rules, then I reserve the right to take anything away from them. If they live in my home then they have to follow my rules.  Of course sometimes they think I am cruel and uncaring but, I'm sure once they have kids of their own they will begin to see the bigger picture.

I think that is the problem with parents today. They are so affraid their kids "will not like me anymore!" I don't care if my kids like me but they will respect me.   Parents need to understand, even if you give your kid everything they could ever want they will still find a reason to be mad at you.  So, instead of compromising on good values in hopes of making you kid adore you...they should focus on disipline and structure and of course punishment. At least by doing this, these parents are giving the kids a REASON to be mad at them.

April 1, 2007, 11:50 pm CDT

LOL!

Quote From: pearlhanna

in 10 years when they looking for a job, the employer does a search on them and nude pics and DUI's pop up.

I only pose nakid in the shower... I don't wanna scare anyone.  Giving up virginity on a reality tv show........... what if he couldn't find a girl that would wanna take it?

Pearl

Wow, talk about a cry for attention...lol. To want to give up your virginity on reality t.v. is just stupid to me!   What is so importamt about fame anyway?  To be famous just seems like way to much work to me.  I think I would go nutz if I had people in my buisness every day of my life.   Not to mention, would you wanna be know as,"The person who lost their virginity in front of millions of people."  ?

That would be a laughing stock for everyone in the world for doing something soooo stupid.   I think I would just die of  shame to be know as THAT person.

I think all the reality shows on t.v. are sending our kids the wrong message. These shows are telling our kids that to be anything in this world you must have your face plastered somewhere so millions of people will know who you are. 

My teens have begged me to allow them to put little videos on You Tube. Of course my answer is NO WAY!  For one I think it is just pointless in doing something like that but, also there are "monsters" out there that just look for kids to prey on.  By allowing my teens to plaster their faces all over the net, is like putting my kids on a silver platter and serving them up to any monster out there.  If anything were to ever happen to one of my kids then I would hold just as much blame as the person who could victimize them. For it would be I who handed my child over to them in a way.

Fame always has a price. I guess the question is, What price are some people willing to pay for that fame?  And can anyone really put a price on themselves to begin with?

April 2, 2007, 5:54 am CDT

03/27 Fifteen Minutes of Fame

Quote From: ohdang13

I am also a 37 y.o. mom with 3 teens...17, 16 & 15...a son and 2 daughters. I have let my kids know that I love then dearly but I am not their buddy.  And I have also let my kids know, the day you think you can take me on is the day we step outside to clarify a few things.

I think the fine line between a good spanking and child abuse have been blurred. A good slap on the butt has never killed anyone. I know growing up my parents used a switch to tan my backside. Now there's some pain for you...lol.  Time out never worked for me either. I would just sit in my room and think, Man did I get off easy or what?

A few years ago we had a family reunion at my Grandpa's home. (my dad's, dad). While at the dinner table my Grandpa made a comment and my father took a tone that was less than respectfull to my Grandpa. The next thing I know my Grandpa had reached across the table and slapped my father right in the mouth.  My Grandpa said, " Boy, as long as you are in my home you will show me proper respect!  I am still your father and until the day I die I will remain so! "

Needless to say, I was suprised at the whole thing but I understand where my Grandpa was coming from. And I will say, my father has not disrespected Grandpa again.

And you know, those people who let their little ones drop the F-bomb or use other bad words, just make me sick. I find nothing amusing about a 2 y.o. who can cuss better than I can.  There is nothing funny in that. I guess these parents do not realize everything your child says or does reflects back on you as a parent.

And I will also say, my kids are NO saints...not even close. They do test me and the rules on a constant basis, but they also get punished for every attempt they make. My kids have never had anything just handed over to them. Everything they have they have had to earn. And now that they are old enough to work they now supply themselves with the things they want.  I give them food and place to live, but they had to buy their own cars, pay for the Ins. and all upkeep on the cars. They provide their own clothing and the electronics they think they need.

But, if they break any rules, then I reserve the right to take anything away from them. If they live in my home then they have to follow my rules.  Of course sometimes they think I am cruel and uncaring but, I'm sure once they have kids of their own they will begin to see the bigger picture.

I think that is the problem with parents today. They are so affraid their kids "will not like me anymore!" I don't care if my kids like me but they will respect me.   Parents need to understand, even if you give your kid everything they could ever want they will still find a reason to be mad at you.  So, instead of compromising on good values in hopes of making you kid adore you...they should focus on disipline and structure and of course punishment. At least by doing this, these parents are giving the kids a REASON to be mad at them.

I've always told my friends, " If they don't hate me at least twice a week, then I'm not doing my job right . " 

All kids test the boundaries, and th rules, I think many aults do it as well, but kids like to go to the extreme don't they ?  The last time I was really mad enough to cuff my son, enough to make him KNOW I was mad, was a few weeks ago when he was on the phone and he called a girl a "W" (sorry I hate the word so bad I can't even type it ), then he was expected and made by his father to apologize.

But sometimes I feel like those of us who are trying to raise respectable kids are fighting a losing battle sigh, that word is used on prime time TV, and the shotened version 'HO, is seen as funny, and used in music all the time, and it seems to be becoming acceptable, but not to me do they NOT realize how dirty, degrading and disgusting it is to call a woman that ?  Not if they are never taught.

Your Grandfather sounds like he was a feisty man, hehe I loved that story, but my family was the same way, under the parents roof, their rules, and my parents have the same respect for me under my roof ( it works both ways ), but funny, it was nineteen years ( that's when I left home for good) before I could ever really see my parents as "friends", and I don't think I turned out too badly ( despite that and being spanked, I don't hate them nor am I an axe murderer or a criminal, so I guess they did something right ).

September 10, 2007, 5:11 am CDT

Yes to fortune, no to fame!

Hello, Dr.Phil.

I love your show and I have been following it for som years now.

I don't get to see it everyday, and we are running a bit behind here in Norway.

The episode I wanted to comment on, aired here today, but I still hope someone gets to read this. 

One of your guests made a comment about everyone wanting to get famous and would go on television for anything, if they were asked directly.

In Norway we are not that hung up on being famous, we are more into getting rich.

An average Norwegian would LOOOOVE all the moviestar- cash and perks, but would normally prefer to NOT have the recognition factor. At all!

I work as a makeup artist and this way I get to meet a lot of our Norwegian celebrities.

I have always been very strict about photographers not taking my photo or making sure that camera people don't tape me when I do touch- ups.

The reason is that I have a thing about people just coming up to me and talking to me as if they know me, when I've never seen them before.

I need to be introduced to people to talk easily with them.

(I must say I am not that shy around my family or friends, when we're taking photos.

Thats different. Thats for remembering and people who care about me.)

Recently I was at a photoshoot with Linni Meister, a girl I scouted as a model 2 years back.

(She is on the Norwegian version of "Survivor" this season, Norwegian FHM- cover, and gets a lot of press these days due to a cover- version of Destinys Child's "Survivor", that she made for kicks.)

I worked with a team of photographers and camera crew I hadn't met before and I saw how they all "gobbled" her up, took notes of everything she said, taped her while she was changing clothes in the changing room, and released photos on the web, that she asked them not to.

A celebrity known for writing a good book or being a great stage actress/ actor would never have been treated this way! And she would deserve some quality treatment, cause she is one of the sweetest people I know!

I realized that reality- stars are treated as "disposable stars"...

Yes, anyone can get there, they are very famous for some time and everyone wants to hang with them, be seen with them, give them things and interview them. 

After a while the talent that they might have wanted to get known for, may even be ignored, because of the press exploitation and the "reality" shown about them.

So who would even want that?! Not me! And I am part of the anyone that he guy on your show talked about...

For the record, and I am sorry for saying this, I love you Dr. Phil; but I wouldn't even come on your show if you ever would have a reason for inviting me.

First | Prev | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | Next Page | Last Page