Message Boards

Topic : 03/27 Fifteen Minutes of Fame

Number of Replies: 175
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 23, 2007, 10:07:43 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
With reality TV and the virtual worlds of MySpace and YouTube, becoming an instant star is easier than ever. But to what lengths will some people go for fortune and fame? Two producers, Michael and Perry, attempt to find out in their new documentary, American Cannibal. Many contestants say they would eat a finger, cut off a toe and even starve themselves to death just to get their 15 minutes of fame! Then, Brian is so desperate for a rich-and-famous lifestyle that he’s willing to give up his virginity on national TV. Brian says losing his innocence for millions is a good career move, but what happens if he doesn’t make the cut on the show? And, Somaya insists that self-promotion on the Internet has made her a celebrity who attends red carpet events. Her best friend, Alysia, says using the Web for publicity is so dangerous, it even garnered Somaya a stalker! Is Alysia really concerned for her friend, or is she just jealous? Plus, Sam, an unforgettable contestant on the reality show The Apprentice, reveals for the first time how he hit rock bottom chasing the celebrity dream. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 23, 2007, 3:43 pm CDT

Fame and personality...

You have to have the talent AND the personality to be famous.  Not Paris Hilton/Britney Spears (2007 version) famous.  There are people on "Fear Factor" that aren't in the least bit entertaining, and have the personality of a dead moth-blech!  People who love the spotlight aren't going to be sated with a mere 15 minutes anyway. 

March 24, 2007, 11:11 pm CDT

Got to talk with the Guest

I was in the audience for this show and although I was disappointed in the subject   I think that we don't really need to see these kind of things.  People are putting to much information out there for the world to see and that is often dangerous and just not good. Some things need to be private. But what was really nice was running into the guest on the walk of fame after the taping and taking pictures with them.

Mercy

March 26, 2007, 6:07 am CDT

I can't seem to find the words.

I am sittin' here readin' about what people are willin' to do to try to be famous and I just can't get my brain wrapped this one. I'm thinkin' "what?cut a finger off?" "give up your virginity on national TV?" I have to believe it must be a generation gap.I'm aware that "The times they are achangin", but I am befuddled over this one. I know there are some things that people do online that are funny and entertaining,but IMO if someone is willing to cut off a finger or give up their virginity on the internet, it's a symptom of being mentally off.( That diagnosis comes from having a "virtual ",imagined degree obtained from cyberspace since I've been posting on these boards.)Bottom line-I don't get it.

March 26, 2007, 8:08 am CDT

I agree...

Quote From: housewife52

I am sittin' here readin' about what people are willin' to do to try to be famous and I just can't get my brain wrapped this one. I'm thinkin' "what?cut a finger off?" "give up your virginity on national TV?" I have to believe it must be a generation gap.I'm aware that "The times they are achangin", but I am befuddled over this one. I know there are some things that people do online that are funny and entertaining,but IMO if someone is willing to cut off a finger or give up their virginity on the internet, it's a symptom of being mentally off.( That diagnosis comes from having a "virtual ",imagined degree obtained from cyberspace since I've been posting on these boards.)Bottom line-I don't get it.
I agree.  What's the next step, "Kill someone on national TV"?  Whatever gets the ratings up, I guess.  There are some things I wouldn't WANT to be famous for.

March 26, 2007, 6:25 pm CDT

03/27 Fifteen Minutes of Fame

Has anyone else read the book "The Long Walk " by Stephan King ?  It is about a so- called reality show that I would hope we NEVER stoop to showing for the sake of our own sick entertainment, those who have read it will know what I mean, its scary and it is a good representation of what we as human beings find entertaining, and for those who haven't (especially those addicted to these shows ), I would encourage them to read it.

So why are these shows so popular ?  Cutting off fingers and toes ? Unfortunatly, those will be the shows that will have the highest ratings, people seem to get some enjoyment out of the back stabbing, and sick stunts people will do to themselves and each other, BLECH, not for me.

Its almost like we are going back to the entertainment of the ancient Roman era, but instead of an arena, we have TV.

March 27, 2007, 3:31 am CDT

Depraved Minds !

I believe we, as a human race , have not changed one iota .  We are still cruel, heartless, egomaniacs , who with our depraved and sleazy minds have polluted ourselves so badly that it turns everything black and evil.  I believe only God's love and purity can destroy this blackness that is overpowering our world, our children and our families. May we all turn to God's light so we can be cleansed.      

March 27, 2007, 4:26 am CDT

HI

Quote From: ceildh1

Has anyone else read the book "The Long Walk " by Stephan King ?  It is about a so- called reality show that I would hope we NEVER stoop to showing for the sake of our own sick entertainment, those who have read it will know what I mean, its scary and it is a good representation of what we as human beings find entertaining, and for those who haven't (especially those addicted to these shows ), I would encourage them to read it.

So why are these shows so popular ?  Cutting off fingers and toes ? Unfortunatly, those will be the shows that will have the highest ratings, people seem to get some enjoyment out of the back stabbing, and sick stunts people will do to themselves and each other, BLECH, not for me.

Its almost like we are going back to the entertainment of the ancient Roman era, but instead of an arena, we have TV.

I have read "The Long Walk" also. And I agree with what you are saying.  The t.v. has become the new Roman arena.  But the truth of the matter is, these kinds of things have been going on since the dawn of man.

I am currently reading a book by Colin Wilson called "The Giant Book of True Crime."  This book goes back to the earliest records from all over the world and talks about violence , motives and how truley sick people were even back before the Roman Era.  The book also covers the topic of what people from the earliest records to present day find to be the most entertaining.  You may find this book to be rather enlightening.

March 27, 2007, 4:52 am CDT

Why Fame?

I have to say that Society as a whole seems to be taking a very strange turn. I remember growing up and people valued their private lives. There was a time when being in the spot light was not the number 1 priority in peoples lives.  Priority when I was young and for my parents was to get a good job, have a nice home, raise decent kids and treat people the way you would like to be treated.  It was about helping your friends and neighbors in a time of need and putting the well -being of your family first.

But this generation seems to be missing that memo. This is certainly the "ME" gereration.  Teenagers and young adults are so concerned about only themselves and to hell with family and close friends. There is no honor in what they say. The ME generation does not understand the concept of " your word in your bond".

The ME generation has only one TRUE goal it seems and that is to have as many people around the world see their faces. They don't even want to try and do anything worth while to deserve that attention.  They just pull out a video phone and record stupid, brainless things and post them all over the internet.  Then they just sit back and wait to see how many people will look at the video. And of course they go to all their friends and try to get some sort of bragging rights for that stupid video.

The ME generation appears to be lacking something huge in their lives...Dignity and self-worth.  My grandmother always said, "Life is more than just the sum of its parts."  The ME generation needs some form of self-gradification to feel like they fit in or are worthy of someones attention. 

Just because someone can see your face on the t.v. or over the internet does not validate your self-worth. It seems more like a huge cry for attention and they are willing to take whatever they can get.  It is such a shame that this generation has lost its self-worth and true meaning in life.

And just think, when all of us are in the stage of life where we can't  take care of ourselves anymore, we will be relying on the ME generation to look after us. I find that rather scarey.  This generation already has so little respect for elderly...I can not imagine what 30 years from now will be like.  For all of our sakes, I hope to see a new and better turn for human kind in the near future.

March 27, 2007, 5:22 am CDT

any thing for fame

Quote From: housewife52

sexy wemen have been getting famous by useing the casting couch for years,aint nothing new.

March 27, 2007, 6:08 am CDT

The Running Man

That reminds me of the movie, the Running Man with Arnold Schwartzenegger plays a convict that plays this survival game on national TV.  I think it was based on The Long Walk, by Stephen King, or was written by him.

Like ohdang said, this is nothing new, we've been amused by gruesome things since before the Roman empire.  Strange how entertainment evolves and saturates our lives.  I think we are so desensitized to what is entertaining that we need more and more shock to entertain us in this age of "lets not censor anything" in the name of freedom of speech.  Although, then what is left to entertain us?    I agree that we should be able to vent our spleens if we choose to, but why do we have to resort to the outrageous to be entertained?  Hmm...

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last