Message Boards

Topic : 04/03 The Price of Privilege

Number of Replies: 61
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, March 29, 2007, 12:41:55 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
We’ve all secretly wondered what it would be like to live like a celebrity -- going to red carpet premieres, jet-setting to exotic destinations and having lots of money. Well, Dr. Phil’s guests say having it all can be a double-edged sword. A&E’s new reality series Sons of Hollywood follows the adventures of childhood friends Randy Spelling, son of the late Aaron Spelling; Sean Stewart, son of singer Rod Stewart; and David Weintraub, their manager and best friend. The show documents the struggles they face trying to make a name for themselves while living in the shadows of their famous fathers. They tell Dr. Phil the good, the bad and the ugly sides of having a famous name and growing up in the Hollywood scene. Plus, Dr. Phil speaks with guests who are obsessed with living the high life, or living life in the fast lane. Tiffany admits she’s obsessed with being in the spotlight, and loves to order people around as if she were famous. She even demands people call her Princess! Her brother and sister-in-law say they’re sick of her narcissistic ways. Then, Derrell and Esther are concerned that their son, Joel’s, rock-and-roll lifestyle could kill him. They say Joel’s party animal ways have already landed him in jail and almost in the morgue – but Joel says he has it all under control. What does Dr. Phil think? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 3, 2007, 2:48 am CDT

its a shame

these kids all need a good spanking lol just kidding. Teally they need to learn money management. Wish i had just a portion of their money that would ease my mind a bit,but to have all there money no tx i dont want to be like them.

April 3, 2007, 3:06 am CDT

Not a "privilege" at all. It's a CURSE

No desire to even watch this one! It would be a waste of time. Instead, I will be spending that tv time with my kids outside,  playing basketball, kicking around the soccer ball and having fun!

We are on a slippery slope when we value STUFF (ie money, fame, etc) over the important stuff (God, family, helping those less fortunate, etc), WHENEVER people's values are messed up, there are consequences.

I would take my middle class life with my super husband, great kids, wonderful inlaws & relatives (etc) over all that superficial, unimportant crap any day of the week!

We can learn from the Bible (if we have a willing mind & heart); God is very clear about materialism, arrogance, greed, lust, power and all those other dangerous and self-destructive qualities the guests possess (qualities that will bring them much unhappiness).

April 3, 2007, 4:00 am CDT

to ohdang13

Quote From: ohdang13

I for one hope they all go broke! I would love to see these BRATS ...and by brats I mean, Lohan, Spears, Hilton, Ritchie, Spelling and all the other wastes of space in the world....living on the streets, eating out of a dumpster, can't afford medical care and of cousre unable to buy new clothes.

I think all their money should be stripped from them on the grounds of walking in public without a brain!  If we took all the money these BRATS have we could provide medical care for those who need it, get all the homeless people off the streets and into homes and provide all the hungry with the proper nurishment they need!

Heck, with all that money those BRATS throw away on clothes and alcohol, it could be used in low income housing areas to build better homes for the less fortunate.  The possibilities are endless! 

I have no sympathy for the guys coming on this show! Why should I?  "Oh poor me, I have more money than I know what to do with. My life is so empty and unfullfilled. " Give me a break.

I have a good idea...why not cover shows like, Low income families working for only $5.75 an hour. Or Why do our Enlisted Military get paid LESS than Minimun wage.  Or Where do people go for GOOD health care if they can not afford Ins..

That list could go on and on. The REAL people in America are sick to death of hearing the "poor, pitifull me", crap from the rich and famous!  I for one, am so tired of hearing about how much a sports player is getting paid to join a football or basketball team!  Wow, so you can carry a ball!!!  Then you must deserve to get paid MILLIONS of dollars for that.  

I say we take all the money these sports stars and movie actors and actresses are getting paid and give it to the Military who are fighting for those BRATS FREEDOM.    We need to see who our true American Heros are. And they are not the ....Lohan's or Spellings or any sports person we see in the news nightly. 

Sorry if I am ranting...but I find this topic very irritating to me.

Good morning ohdang13!  I know you said you were ranting in your post;  but I can understand why this topic could be irritating. We can't even walk through the supermarket checkout or look at a newspaper without having these phoney, stuck up brats shoved down our throats on a magazine cover or in the paper, or on the TV sreeen when flipping channels.  The media is forever pushing these useless beings in our faces.  And they are not even "real"  Their appearances are so altered with all the airbrushing, kohl eye makeup, false lashes etc.As I said in an earlier post, their fanbases must be amongst the stupidest people in the country.  It feels as if the media is trying to tell us that we are "supposed" to adore these idiots just because the media is shoving them forever down our throats.  Sorry, but I am smart enough to see through this garbage.

And to your other point...there is no way one should need so many millions in a lifetime (most of which is wasted by them!), so why can't they show an ounce of generosity towards others less fortunate?  Poor people, abused children, animal shelters.  There are so many good causes that all the excess could go to. 

As far as the whining about "poor me" goes, their lack of true happiness  is because these jerks have never learned what is really important in life, and they are wrapped up in materialism, substance abuse, strutting around trying to sell themselves through sexuality. It is no wonder that so many in Hollywood come to bad endings which is based on THEIR own poor choices.  It blew my mind how many people on the message board about Britney Spears and Anna Nicole are wasting time feeling sorry for these people.  Save the empathy for people who are doing something worthy , or who, through no fault of their own, have fallen on hard times. "Poor Britney!!"  Give me a break!   She made her bed, now be an adult and lie in it.

April 3, 2007, 4:52 am CDT

04/03 The Price of Privilege

I for one hope they all go broke! I would love to see these BRATS ...and by brats I mean, Lohan, Spears, Hilton, Ritchie, Spelling and all the other wastes of space in the world....living on the streets, eating out of a dumpster, can't afford medical care and of cousre unable to buy new clothes.

I think all their money should be stripped from them on the grounds of walking in public without a brain!  If we took all the money these BRATS have we could provide medical care for those who need it, get all the homeless people off the streets and into homes and provide all the hungry with the proper nurishment they need!

Heck, with all that money those BRATS throw away on clothes and alcohol, it could be used in low income housing areas to build better homes for the less fortunate.  The possibilities are endless! 

I have no sympathy for the guys coming on this show! Why should I?  "Oh poor me, I have more money than I know what to do with. My life is so empty and unfullfilled. " Give me a break.

I have a good idea...why not cover shows like, Low income families working for only $5.75 an hour. Or Why do our Enlisted Military get paid LESS than Minimun wage.  Or Where do people go for GOOD health care if they can not afford Ins..

That list could go on and on. The REAL people in America are sick to death of hearing the "poor, pitifull me", crap from the rich and famous!  I for one, am so tired of hearing about how much a sports player is getting paid to join a football or basketball team!  Wow, so you can carry a ball!!!  Then you must deserve to get paid MILLIONS of dollars for that.  

I say we take all the money these sports stars and movie actors and actresses are getting paid and give it to the Military who are fighting for those BRATS FREEDOM.    We need to see who our true American Heros are. And they are not the ....Lohan's or Spellings or any sports person we see in the news nightly. 

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 3, 2007, 6:19 am CDT

Oh Boy ! What a Crazy World !

This young lad called Joel, boy does he need a good kick up his backside.  He just doesn't get it at all,  By the time he does know what he has become, it will be too late for this lad. I don't blame Dr.Phil getting frustrated with him and his parents, Derrel and Esther. His parents thought by bailing him out of everything that they were doing their parental responsibilities. Of course, it made everything for their son 20 times worse than it could have been. Joel hasn't got everything under control, as he says. He's out of control, and I do feel sorry for his parents as they seem really decent people. He needs to learn a lot of very down-to-earth lessons about his life, addictions and attitude, before Joel will be the young man that he can become.  He needs to own up to his life as it is now before it's too late. Miss Tiffany is another person living in a delusional life-style.I wouldn't appreciate it either if she carried on like that, especially if she was a close part of the family. She needs to get out there and get a good job, whether modeling or other. She definitely has to be discouraged to order people around, if she wants people to respect her as a positive contributing member of society. I don't respect celebrities who think they are better than other people and are rude and bossy  and want things their own way all the time .  Give me a humble person any day !

Regards,

Lory.

April 3, 2007, 8:43 am CDT

Rifts..

Too true.  As the rifts between rich and poor grow, we hear a lot of whining from the minority wealthy community.  We see less of the middle class and less issues in the media-controlled by the minority-that concern them.  In the words of John Mayer, "When they own the information, they can bend it all they want".

I agree, there's no financial balance among the social classes anymore.  You  can get paid millions for a basketball game, and minimum wage for busting your butt in a potentially life threatening job (military).  Those are the legs we stand on, they should be treated better.  As a nurse, if I treated a tech like scum, I'd be up a river, so you work WITH them, not against.   A microcosm for America to follow.

April 3, 2007, 1:01 pm CDT

04/03 The Price of Privilege

I have just finished reading some of the messeges posted on your site and can you say jelous any louder.  Don't get me wrong I do believe that the many can be spent differently but it's their money...what I was really confused by was Tiffany.  If I had that much money and didn't have to work for the rest of my life...trust me I would love nothing more than to volenteer anywhere I can knowing I never need to worry about money again.  Working with sick children, sick animals, the homeless, or anyone who needs help.  I don't have much money although my husband and I work full time but we've learned how to budget ourselves and if we can help who we can.  I think what irritates me is that Tiffany thinks she can just lay there and do nothing or at least she's not thinking of anyone but herself...what's wrong with that picture.  I don't envy anyone with privilige or more money than me...I made my life what it is and so be it to everyone else.  Tiffany need a reality check and she need to take a good look in the mirror.  She's shallow and vain...Good luck to her and her future mate.

April 3, 2007, 1:30 pm CDT

Sons of Hollywood

I so hope that this show is a success. I watched the 1st episode last week & it was awesome. Sean is so hot. I have already been to their myspace & A & E sites. I have also already sent Sean 2 messages to his myspace site.
  I am hoping that Sean pulls thru & makes it past 1 yr in his struggle to stay sober. Recovery is hard. I am in AL ANON. I have seen ppl fight all types of addiction & it is hard. As for Randy ....he has big shows to fill but at least he is grounded. He loves his family & is close to his true friends. The lost of his father was rough for him, but he & his sister are close & family will get you thru.

April 3, 2007, 1:31 pm CDT

WHAT??????

I'm sorry, Dr. Phil, you say that we will find this show "intriguing"?  WHAT????  This punk is talking about the nightmare of having to watch and help his mother put away dolls????   How about the nightmare of keeping the lights on?  Or paying the mortgage?  Or explaining to your 4 year old daughter that you can't afford bread this week?  You want to talk about nightmares?  Give me a call.   My husband and I both work and barely make ends meet and YOU want ME to feel sorry for these punks that have been handed everything and throw it all away and want my sympathy????

I am so sick and tired of these spoiled brats being handed everything and throwing it away and crying Poor me!!  Look at me!!   Life is soooo hard!!  You have to have a life before you can complain about it!! 

They all need to get a life, try living one paycheck away from homeless and then and only then will I EVER have any sympathy for any one of you!!!

I'm sorry Dr. Phil, I can't watch this show.

April 3, 2007, 1:44 pm CDT

I was a flight attendant too.

Your glamour girl fantasy while you're doing the safety demo is HILARIOUS!!!! As a former flight attendant (I was one for TWA for 10 years) I'm wondering how glamorous you felt when you were chin deep in greasy tin foil after peeling it off of 150 "lasagnas". Or how glamorous you felt while stuck on the tarmac for hours listening to people bitch and complain and listening to babies screaming....all while earning $15,000 a year. Give me a BREAK!!! For every minute I might have felt glamorous there were 10 HOURS I felt like the ugly stepsister: bending over seats that smelled like farts to cross seat belts or picking up old newspaper people through in the aisle or folding nasty drooled on blankets and pillows and putting them BACK in the overhead for the next person to put their face on.

LMAO at the thought of all the half wit flight attendants out there who think they're going to meet Bill Gates while working first class and be swept off their feet, or be "discovered" by  Tyra Banks while passing out broke down muffins or sad little bags of peanuts on an overcrowded flight. LOL!!! You poor things. Waiting to be saved by the fictional white knight is SUCH a sad fantasy. But good luck!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last