Message Boards

Topic : 04/03 The Price of Privilege

Number of Replies: 61
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, March 29, 2007, 12:41:55 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
We’ve all secretly wondered what it would be like to live like a celebrity -- going to red carpet premieres, jet-setting to exotic destinations and having lots of money. Well, Dr. Phil’s guests say having it all can be a double-edged sword. A&E’s new reality series Sons of Hollywood follows the adventures of childhood friends Randy Spelling, son of the late Aaron Spelling; Sean Stewart, son of singer Rod Stewart; and David Weintraub, their manager and best friend. The show documents the struggles they face trying to make a name for themselves while living in the shadows of their famous fathers. They tell Dr. Phil the good, the bad and the ugly sides of having a famous name and growing up in the Hollywood scene. Plus, Dr. Phil speaks with guests who are obsessed with living the high life, or living life in the fast lane. Tiffany admits she’s obsessed with being in the spotlight, and loves to order people around as if she were famous. She even demands people call her Princess! Her brother and sister-in-law say they’re sick of her narcissistic ways. Then, Derrell and Esther are concerned that their son, Joel’s, rock-and-roll lifestyle could kill him. They say Joel’s party animal ways have already landed him in jail and almost in the morgue – but Joel says he has it all under control. What does Dr. Phil think? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 3, 2007, 3:40 pm CDT

conceited

Quote From: nasale

Just because these young guys don't find themselves in the same life curve doesn't make their problems any less important. Being an alcoholic doesn't give a rat's a**  what your bank account/parents are. The only thing I can say is the people who are attacking these guys are suffering too -from a horrendous case of envy. It doesn't make the person who is complaining any more legitimate either. LIGHTEN UP!

just because someone disagrees with doesn't mean they are jealous. I like many others really don't care about these guys who have the silver spoon in their mouths and won't take it out.

It is a total waste of time for this show to be on, our afternoons could be spent a little better rather than listening to this dribble.

April 3, 2007, 4:19 pm CDT

ROFL!

Quote From: shahnster

Your glamour girl fantasy while you're doing the safety demo is HILARIOUS!!!! As a former flight attendant (I was one for TWA for 10 years) I'm wondering how glamorous you felt when you were chin deep in greasy tin foil after peeling it off of 150 "lasagnas". Or how glamorous you felt while stuck on the tarmac for hours listening to people bitch and complain and listening to babies screaming....all while earning $15,000 a year. Give me a BREAK!!! For every minute I might have felt glamorous there were 10 HOURS I felt like the ugly stepsister: bending over seats that smelled like farts to cross seat belts or picking up old newspaper people through in the aisle or folding nasty drooled on blankets and pillows and putting them BACK in the overhead for the next person to put their face on.

LMAO at the thought of all the half wit flight attendants out there who think they're going to meet Bill Gates while working first class and be swept off their feet, or be "discovered" by  Tyra Banks while passing out broke down muffins or sad little bags of peanuts on an overcrowded flight. LOL!!! You poor things. Waiting to be saved by the fictional white knight is SUCH a sad fantasy. But good luck!

Seats that smelled like farts! This is the first time I heard it put that way! I'll bet you were in fear of having your tiara go lopsided as well!

April 3, 2007, 4:39 pm CDT

Get a life!!

Quote From: romina

I have just finished reading some of the messeges posted on your site and can you say jelous any louder.  Don't get me wrong I do believe that the many can be spent differently but it's their money...what I was really confused by was Tiffany.  If I had that much money and didn't have to work for the rest of my life...trust me I would love nothing more than to volenteer anywhere I can knowing I never need to worry about money again.  Working with sick children, sick animals, the homeless, or anyone who needs help.  I don't have much money although my husband and I work full time but we've learned how to budget ourselves and if we can help who we can.  I think what irritates me is that Tiffany thinks she can just lay there and do nothing or at least she's not thinking of anyone but herself...what's wrong with that picture.  I don't envy anyone with privilige or more money than me...I made my life what it is and so be it to everyone else.  Tiffany need a reality check and she need to take a good look in the mirror.  She's shallow and vain...Good luck to her and her future mate.

I agree with most of what you have said,  I just would not judge the  others  as being jealous. I would say there are more productive things a person could do with a lot of money and time to spend on worthwhile things to help the less fortunate in this world. There are far less willing volunteers than are needed... so sleeping in, drinking coffee at Starbucks and sitting by a pool all day should not be life's priority. Tiffany said she wasn't using people but refers to what she does as being a game....shallow, vain and a using their willing spirit to flatter herself. Yes, definitely a user....  

April 3, 2007, 7:07 pm CDT

how sad

I truly feel bad for "princess".  How sad it is that she has wasted almost her entire life in search of this lifestyle to validate her own existance.  I have never seen anyone so narcissistic in all my life and honestly, I've never seen it make anyone look so ugly.  Not that she was anything too special to begin with; her attitude was such a turn off that it literally made her repulsive.  She says she has these friends of hers do things for her just to see what she can get away with and then says in the next breath that she doesn't use people?  Obviously not too smart, either.  And I'm wondering who these "friends" are  -- she's about an inch deep and seems like nothing but high maintenance -- you couldn't PAY me to be friends with someone like that.  Really, it's all just very sad.  If she takes her eyes off of herself for two minutes, I would hope that her experience on this show might make her open her eyes enough to realize how shallow this all is and that she might learn to get to like herself for who she IS and not who she "should" be.  No one actually wants to be Paris Hilton anyway.  Anyone who does needs to step away from the power lines...

April 3, 2007, 7:53 pm CDT

04/03 The Price of Privilege

I didn't see the first two young men, but Randy Spelling at least seemed grounded to me, better grounded than the two so-called normal people.

Princess, BLECH, people actually call her that ? Like the Doc said, wwhat are they saying behind her back, princess probably isn't at the top of the list.  Bossing people around and acting like some high school Diva, not becoming, and any talent scout watching might just be saying, "way too high maitenance ".

To be a Rock Star, you might just have to find you way out of bed, and pound the pavement going to auditions, and no one wants to represent a drunk or drug addict, so you might actually have to clean up your act a lot first, oh and did you know that many of these people actually had to have JOBS to support themselves in the interim between normal and stardom, Many of these stars had to WORK to get to where they are, sorry but it won't drop into your lap from above, and Mom and Dad, that "Cute little face  " works for a two year old, not a grown man, unless you want to be looking after him for LIFE, then you have to take the hard line with him, never easy, but you'll be giving him the chance to work and accomplish something on his own.

April 3, 2007, 9:04 pm CDT

The Lost Boys of Hollywood

I actually met these guys while they were filming in Miami.  I did not know of anyone, but Randy at the time, and he came up to me, introduced himself and shook my hand.  He was very polite and used gracious manners.  That  meeting motivated me to post this and to watch the first episode of their show (otherwise I would have never paid it the first bit attention) and I always watch Dr. Phil....I love him !

I would like to think that Randy realizes the power he has to change a lot about the world. Yes, because he is simply the son of a wealthy TV mogul, and for no other reason than that right now; but he is young and has much time to carve out his life.  Hopefully, he already knows that a person grows and develops and fills his life by what he gives. The more one gives, the less one needs. I believe that God not only watches to see how those who are down on their luck demonstrate their character and rise above their challenges; but also, he watches to see how those who are blessed with fame, fortune, time, and talent use their gifts. God does bless those who use their talents wisely.

I can only hope for this show's sake and for the reputations of these boys, that the purely indulgent and shallow life styles that they portrayed in the first episode is replaced in future episodes with their doing something of worth.  If not, I can't imagine that there will be a next season. Unless. next season makes some sort of atonement to the viewers for being so useless, trivial and for wasting the viewer's time and trust with such irresponsible TV. (I felt stupid for even watching the first episode). 

Perhaps, these boys need to read and borrow from the book, The Ultimate Gift, and base next season's show on that idea, and then truly strive to make life better for someone or something.  Now a show like that would be a life lesson and an uplifting reality show for many of us, perhaps even evoking a sense of compassion and admiration for these boys, but they might have to rise before lunch at least one day of the week to do it. 

Just a thought from someone who is so far from Hollywood, and very glad of it ! !!!

April 3, 2007, 9:46 pm CDT

emote: irritated.

Quote From: daws458

I truly feel bad for "princess".  How sad it is that she has wasted almost her entire life in search of this lifestyle to validate her own existance.  I have never seen anyone so narcissistic in all my life and honestly, I've never seen it make anyone look so ugly.  Not that she was anything too special to begin with; her attitude was such a turn off that it literally made her repulsive.  She says she has these friends of hers do things for her just to see what she can get away with and then says in the next breath that she doesn't use people?  Obviously not too smart, either.  And I'm wondering who these "friends" are  -- she's about an inch deep and seems like nothing but high maintenance -- you couldn't PAY me to be friends with someone like that.  Really, it's all just very sad.  If she takes her eyes off of herself for two minutes, I would hope that her experience on this show might make her open her eyes enough to realize how shallow this all is and that she might learn to get to like herself for who she IS and not who she "should" be.  No one actually wants to be Paris Hilton anyway.  Anyone who does needs to step away from the power lines...

I agree.  This Tiffany "princess" needs a wake up call...I was so saddened by her story when I saw her....I can't believe that she has spent her entire life chasing something she will never have.  And really, she probably won't at her age.  Modelling is for 18yr olds.  Being shallow is as well.

April 4, 2007, 6:26 am CDT

Sons Of Hollywood

well I really enjoyed this segment..but I found the young man who's parents enable  him while he enjoys his drinking and drugging very sad..sad because he didnt realize YET that he had a problem with his drugs of choice and LIFE..as a recovering alkie, (sober 31/2 years)..I could  see myself at his stage of the disease..thank you Dr. Phil for giving this young guy a chance to  learn how to live life on lifes terms...

April 4, 2007, 6:33 am CDT

love ? or enabling?

Quote From: onecutepeanut

N-O!!!!  They are getting "EXACTLY" what they both DESERVE!

these folks think what they are doing to help this young man is out of love...no doubt they love their son..but there are prisons full of young men whos parents "loved" them......they hopefully will be offered some help of their own..

April 4, 2007, 6:50 am CDT

Lory, you posted my thoughts exactly!

Quote From: maria3255

This young lad called Joel, boy does he need a good kick up his backside.  He just doesn't get it at all,  By the time he does know what he has become, it will be too late for this lad. I don't blame Dr.Phil getting frustrated with him and his parents, Derrel and Esther. His parents thought by bailing him out of everything that they were doing their parental responsibilities. Of course, it made everything for their son 20 times worse than it could have been. Joel hasn't got everything under control, as he says. He's out of control, and I do feel sorry for his parents as they seem really decent people. He needs to learn a lot of very down-to-earth lessons about his life, addictions and attitude, before Joel will be the young man that he can become.  He needs to own up to his life as it is now before it's too late. Miss Tiffany is another person living in a delusional life-style.I wouldn't appreciate it either if she carried on like that, especially if she was a close part of the family. She needs to get out there and get a good job, whether modeling or other. She definitely has to be discouraged to order people around, if she wants people to respect her as a positive contributing member of society. I don't respect celebrities who think they are better than other people and are rude and bossy  and want things their own way all the time .  Give me a humble person any day !

Regards,

Lory.

Furthermore, the sons of celebrities presented themselves to be leveled headed trying to achieve some degree of success in their lives.(Lory-great picture!)

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last