Message Boards

Topic : 04/03 The Price of Privilege

Number of Replies: 61
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, March 29, 2007, 12:41:55 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
We’ve all secretly wondered what it would be like to live like a celebrity -- going to red carpet premieres, jet-setting to exotic destinations and having lots of money. Well, Dr. Phil’s guests say having it all can be a double-edged sword. A&E’s new reality series Sons of Hollywood follows the adventures of childhood friends Randy Spelling, son of the late Aaron Spelling; Sean Stewart, son of singer Rod Stewart; and David Weintraub, their manager and best friend. The show documents the struggles they face trying to make a name for themselves while living in the shadows of their famous fathers. They tell Dr. Phil the good, the bad and the ugly sides of having a famous name and growing up in the Hollywood scene. Plus, Dr. Phil speaks with guests who are obsessed with living the high life, or living life in the fast lane. Tiffany admits she’s obsessed with being in the spotlight, and loves to order people around as if she were famous. She even demands people call her Princess! Her brother and sister-in-law say they’re sick of her narcissistic ways. Then, Derrell and Esther are concerned that their son, Joel’s, rock-and-roll lifestyle could kill him. They say Joel’s party animal ways have already landed him in jail and almost in the morgue – but Joel says he has it all under control. What does Dr. Phil think? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 4, 2007, 8:05 am CDT

To Add A Bit More...

Quote From: ms_erin

I agree.  This Tiffany "princess" needs a wake up call...I was so saddened by her story when I saw her....I can't believe that she has spent her entire life chasing something she will never have.  And really, she probably won't at her age.  Modelling is for 18yr olds.  Being shallow is as well.

This girl also could use a new mirror.  From where I sat, I didn't see anything particularly special about her.  She is kind of attractive, but that ain't gonna pay the rent.

April 4, 2007, 8:10 am CDT

Ms. Planters

Quote From: onecutepeanut

You are very, very unattractive, so famous for doing what?  Definitely not looking good.  Now if you looked like me you probably would be adored and very, very famous......lol 

Hmmmm So I am guessing that the Dr. Phil show is the only 1 minute of fame you will get, huh?.....lol   Why he had you on his show I will "NEVER" understand.

I have to disagree in part.  She is modestly attractive, just nothing special. 

Brad Pitt (not)

April 4, 2007, 8:14 am CDT

I Don't Know

Quote From: dearcomet

I'm sorry, Dr. Phil, you say that we will find this show "intriguing"?  WHAT????  This punk is talking about the nightmare of having to watch and help his mother put away dolls????   How about the nightmare of keeping the lights on?  Or paying the mortgage?  Or explaining to your 4 year old daughter that you can't afford bread this week?  You want to talk about nightmares?  Give me a call.   My husband and I both work and barely make ends meet and YOU want ME to feel sorry for these punks that have been handed everything and throw it all away and want my sympathy????

I am so sick and tired of these spoiled brats being handed everything and throwing it away and crying Poor me!!  Look at me!!   Life is soooo hard!!  You have to have a life before you can complain about it!! 

They all need to get a life, try living one paycheck away from homeless and then and only then will I EVER have any sympathy for any one of you!!!

I'm sorry Dr. Phil, I can't watch this show.

I could understand every bit of what you're saying, but that is not the show I watched.  You've got good ammunition.   Save it for an appropriate show.

April 4, 2007, 8:25 am CDT

A Swing And A Miss!

Quote From: gwarrior6

Too true.  As the rifts between rich and poor grow, we hear a lot of whining from the minority wealthy community.  We see less of the middle class and less issues in the media-controlled by the minority-that concern them.  In the words of John Mayer, "When they own the information, they can bend it all they want".

I agree, there's no financial balance among the social classes anymore.  You  can get paid millions for a basketball game, and minimum wage for busting your butt in a potentially life threatening job (military).  Those are the legs we stand on, they should be treated better.  As a nurse, if I treated a tech like scum, I'd be up a river, so you work WITH them, not against.   A microcosm for America to follow.

I think you missed the point of the show.  These are kids who were born into the situations.  Are we to dismiss them as not worth our time because they come from wealthy families?  Surely you would agree that wealth does not make one exempt from problems.  It is reverse elitism to collectively say "good!" when we hear what they contend with.  Of course the world is not economically balanced.  Yes the poor suffer from problems worse than the rich.  But, that does not mean that those born to wealth have no problems worth our time.  I think the point of the show was to let people who assume the rich have everything the way they want is a fallacy.  What I see on this board is a great deal of jealousy combined with the lack of a capacity for empathy.

April 4, 2007, 9:28 am CDT

let's talk about empathy flrat69

Quote From: flrat69

I think you missed the point of the show.  These are kids who were born into the situations.  Are we to dismiss them as not worth our time because they come from wealthy families?  Surely you would agree that wealth does not make one exempt from problems.  It is reverse elitism to collectively say "good!" when we hear what they contend with.  Of course the world is not economically balanced.  Yes the poor suffer from problems worse than the rich.  But, that does not mean that those born to wealth have no problems worth our time.  I think the point of the show was to let people who assume the rich have everything the way they want is a fallacy.  What I see on this board is a great deal of jealousy combined with the lack of a capacity for empathy.

So you view what people are saying as jealously and lack of empathy?  Let's talk about empathy.  A big part of the problem is how kids born into priviledge are raised.   Alot are raised just to pamper and spoil themslves and not give a crap about anyone else.  Sounds like Paris Hilton, doesn't it? THEY need to be taught empathy.  They need to be taught to have some regard for the next guy.  A great way to do this is for parents to teach these kids to give some of their money to those less fortunate, or better yet, have them volunteer at someplace where they can help someone less fortunate.  There are soup kitchens, animal shelters and many other places where they can help out.  Perhaps they would gain some inner satisfaction from bringing a smile to a sick child's face or having a puppy reach out its paw to them.

Why should we sympathize with the Paris Hiltons and Britney Spears  who are completely self centered and don't do anything to improve this world? I could give two craps about them, but would gladly help a hungry child or animal in a nanosecond.

April 4, 2007, 10:02 am CDT

Ah Julie!

Quote From: juliebgg

So you view what people are saying as jealously and lack of empathy?  Let's talk about empathy.  A big part of the problem is how kids born into priviledge are raised.   Alot are raised just to pamper and spoil themslves and not give a crap about anyone else.  Sounds like Paris Hilton, doesn't it? THEY need to be taught empathy.  They need to be taught to have some regard for the next guy.  A great way to do this is for parents to teach these kids to give some of their money to those less fortunate, or better yet, have them volunteer at someplace where they can help someone less fortunate.  There are soup kitchens, animal shelters and many other places where they can help out.  Perhaps they would gain some inner satisfaction from bringing a smile to a sick child's face or having a puppy reach out its paw to them.

Why should we sympathize with the Paris Hiltons and Britney Spears  who are completely self centered and don't do anything to improve this world? I could give two craps about them, but would gladly help a hungry child or animal in a nanosecond.

I will say this.  At least you express yourself in a way that lends more credence to your opinions.  I actually agree with much you say.  I did not intend to advocate for all wealthy or famous people.  Your use of Paris Hilton and Brittany Spears is very appropriate to me.  I have no sympathy there either.

You are also quite right in saying that "a big part of the problem is how kids born into privilege are raised".  I just want us to not lump all people born to wealth together any more than we would any other group.  Yes. your ideas of things they can be taught are excellent.  There are several examples of famous children who have done so.  It is very true that there are not nearly enough though.

My original post was an effort to get people to look at the person and not the socio-economic group they were born to.  You know full well that there are extremes in everything.  Some of the posts I viewed earlier did smack of jealousy and a lack of empathy.  Empathy should be as financially blind as as it is color blind.  Again, I just think we must look and individuals instead of groups.

Peace please!

April 4, 2007, 10:13 am CDT

extended adolescence

Quote From: ms_erin

I agree.  This Tiffany "princess" needs a wake up call...I was so saddened by her story when I saw her....I can't believe that she has spent her entire life chasing something she will never have.  And really, she probably won't at her age.  Modelling is for 18yr olds.  Being shallow is as well.

How sad to see a person in her thirties behaving like a fourteen year old. This is a bad case of extended adolescence. It is time to grow up and start contributing something of value to the world.  I would be curious to see this person 20 or 30 years down the road. She is going to have a hard time in life if she doesn't learn to achieve things in a way other than the "I'm so cuuuuute, pamper me" routine.

April 4, 2007, 10:19 am CDT

flrat, thanks for your endorsement!!!

Quote From: flrat69

I will say this.  At least you express yourself in a way that lends more credence to your opinions.  I actually agree with much you say.  I did not intend to advocate for all wealthy or famous people.  Your use of Paris Hilton and Brittany Spears is very appropriate to me.  I have no sympathy there either.

You are also quite right in saying that "a big part of the problem is how kids born into privilege are raised".  I just want us to not lump all people born to wealth together any more than we would any other group.  Yes. your ideas of things they can be taught are excellent.  There are several examples of famous children who have done so.  It is very true that there are not nearly enough though.

My original post was an effort to get people to look at the person and not the socio-economic group they were born to.  You know full well that there are extremes in everything.  Some of the posts I viewed earlier did smack of jealousy and a lack of empathy.  Empathy should be as financially blind as as it is color blind.  Again, I just think we must look and individuals instead of groups.

Peace please!

Thank you for your endorsement, flrat!  It is true that many people fall into the trap of lumping everyone in a certain category into one group.  There are individual differences, and ,yes, there are some very wonderful wealthy people who care and advocate for others.  Wouldn't the world be a more wonderful place if more of Hollywood and sport stars gave some of their wealth, (which they could never possibly spend through in a lifetime unless they were complete fools), to good causes? Wishful thinking I guess!

April 4, 2007, 10:22 am CDT

04/03 The Price of Privilege

How sad to see a person in her thirties behaving like a fourteen year old. This is a bad case of extended adolescence. It is time to grow up and start contributing something of value to the world.  I would be curious to see this person 20 or 30 years down the road. She is going to have a hard time in life if she doesn't learn to achieve things in a way other than the "I'm so cuuuuute, pamper me" routine.
And she isn't that cute!

April 4, 2007, 10:48 am CDT

LOL

Thank you for your endorsement, flrat!  It is true that many people fall into the trap of lumping everyone in a certain category into one group.  There are individual differences, and ,yes, there are some very wonderful wealthy people who care and advocate for others.  Wouldn't the world be a more wonderful place if more of Hollywood and sport stars gave some of their wealth, (which they could never possibly spend through in a lifetime unless they were complete fools), to good causes? Wishful thinking I guess!
I doubt if you needed my endorsement, but you have it anyway.  The thing I'v found about "celebrities" is that those who regularly contribute great amounts, don't usually metion it.  Paul Newmand and Joanne Woodward are two examples.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last