Message Boards

Topic : 04/03 The Price of Privilege

Number of Replies: 61
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, March 29, 2007, 12:41:55 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
We’ve all secretly wondered what it would be like to live like a celebrity -- going to red carpet premieres, jet-setting to exotic destinations and having lots of money. Well, Dr. Phil’s guests say having it all can be a double-edged sword. A&E’s new reality series Sons of Hollywood follows the adventures of childhood friends Randy Spelling, son of the late Aaron Spelling; Sean Stewart, son of singer Rod Stewart; and David Weintraub, their manager and best friend. The show documents the struggles they face trying to make a name for themselves while living in the shadows of their famous fathers. They tell Dr. Phil the good, the bad and the ugly sides of having a famous name and growing up in the Hollywood scene. Plus, Dr. Phil speaks with guests who are obsessed with living the high life, or living life in the fast lane. Tiffany admits she’s obsessed with being in the spotlight, and loves to order people around as if she were famous. She even demands people call her Princess! Her brother and sister-in-law say they’re sick of her narcissistic ways. Then, Derrell and Esther are concerned that their son, Joel’s, rock-and-roll lifestyle could kill him. They say Joel’s party animal ways have already landed him in jail and almost in the morgue – but Joel says he has it all under control. What does Dr. Phil think? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 31, 2007, 1:22 pm CDT

Some are looking to score big

Reminded me of a time when I was homeless and I ran into a celebrity who had a co-staring role in a weekly TV program. When he came and sat in the restaurant he was overwhelmed by autograph hounds.  I just watched and he made his way over to my table and was curious as to why I was not seeking an autograph as well?  My response was "I did not think he came looking to be mobbed" when he stepped in the restaurant.  Now whether he was looking for attention or not I found it rude that people find it acceptable to disrupt anyones morning for a signature. By the way could you please send me yours?   lol

March 31, 2007, 3:10 pm CDT

I can TRUTHFULLY say that I have never wondered what it is like to live in the spotlight myself.

Now that's not to say that I am not interested in celebrities in the media. I've been following the AN story closely. I imagine that it's hard growing up in the spotlight. Some celebrities manage to keep their children out of the spotlight. As far as the girl who wants to be called "Princess" and likes to order people around, she sounds like a Paris wannabe. The young man who keeps getting into trouble needs to change his ways IMO.

April 1, 2007, 7:05 am CDT

Rich, and not worth a penny to humanity

Paris Hilton, and now this? All their money and the good they could do, and they do nothing. Dr. Phil, they aren't even burning day light, they are a waste of air.
Why aren't the helping the People of the Nations? the poor in the citys? The people that are homeless? They make me sick for their lack of humanity and the total useless way they all live.
The only thing I can hope is they grow some brains and some smarts, or they all go totally broke.

April 1, 2007, 12:35 pm CDT

what a waste of T.V space

April 1, 2007, 12:42 pm CDT

what a waste of t.v.space

I can not believe that anyone would want to watch a bunch of spoiled, kids, who have everything they want! I feel that just having to watch that usless  Paris Hilton and her gang of usless , spoiled, rich kids is way to much on t.v. No, I certainly will not waste my valuable time watching this show!!!  Britanny Spears is just about as usless and trampy as the HILTON gang!!! Shame on the channel that is going to show such garbage!!!  

April 1, 2007, 5:42 pm CDT

04/03 The Price of Privilege

Okay, so we've had " Growing up Gotti ", "The Osbournes", "Gene Simmons Family Jewels ", we had an "Anna Nicole" show, and "Brittany and Kevin " shows and now "Sons of Hollywood " what's next ?  They all seem to run on the same theme, spoiled brats out of control, and the TV viewers who worship them.  However there is an upside to these shows, let me explain,

For some people it is a way of leveling, they can look and say " see even with all their money and power they're kids are brattier than mine " or they are more screwed up than we thought, its a sick fascination, besides they're playing to the camera anyway because no one would ever convince me that EVERYTHING has been put out there for the world to see, we see what they choose for us to see and depending on what they think their "Public " expects, they will see the best or the worst of their lives.

For some I think its a way to escape from their own mundane lives, and live the life they crave vicariously through those people they see on TV, for a half hour or hour whatever it is, they can fantasize that they actually KNOW these people and that these people are their friends and neighbors.

We can complain, and I agree with the poster that said it was a waste of TV time, but again if there was no demand, there would be no shows like this, if they don't get the ratings, it goes off the air, that simple, besides these shows are relativly cheap to make, and it gives the aged washed up stars a platform to stay in the spotlight, and the young wannabes a chance to be there.

April 1, 2007, 8:00 pm CDT

Living the Life of a Star?

Well, I mean, lets get real.  Living the life of a star is not realistic - and can soon blowup in one's face sooner or later.  Everything is blown out of proportion, riches, lifestyle, etc.  And in the public eye always must be a real nuisance, too.  No thanks, not for me. 

April 2, 2007, 11:59 am CDT

Rich, and in the Spotlight!

Rich and in the spotlight!  How many people crave that??I suspect people who want to be in the spotlight, adored by thousands of fans (who don't know a thing about what they are like personally so they are adoring some very surface thing to begin with)...well, I suspect these people who crave this so badly are very insecure and have a bottomless pit to be filled up with admiration, even that of strangers. Seems pretty empty to me!

There is only one spotlight I wish to be in, and that is the spotlight of my husband's love.  And while comfortable (but not rich) financially,  I have the wealth of my family's love and wonderful friends. I have never wished to be an actress I do not crave the empty admiration of fans who haven't a clue as to who I really am as a person.

April 2, 2007, 12:11 pm CDT

true true true!

Quote From: squeeker

I can not believe that anyone would want to watch a bunch of spoiled, kids, who have everything they want! I feel that just having to watch that usless  Paris Hilton and her gang of usless , spoiled, rich kids is way to much on t.v. No, I certainly will not waste my valuable time watching this show!!!  Britanny Spears is just about as usless and trampy as the HILTON gang!!! Shame on the channel that is going to show such garbage!!!  

I've got no use for these spoiled, phoney, useless beings in my life either. One must wonder what the average IQ of their fanbase is.

April 2, 2007, 10:55 pm CDT

Good Comment!

Quote From: elsbeth59

Paris Hilton, and now this? All their money and the good they could do, and they do nothing. Dr. Phil, they aren't even burning day light, they are a waste of air.
Why aren't the helping the People of the Nations? the poor in the citys? The people that are homeless? They make me sick for their lack of humanity and the total useless way they all live.
The only thing I can hope is they grow some brains and some smarts, or they all go totally broke.

I for one hope they all go broke! I would love to see these BRATS ...and by brats I mean, Lohan, Spears, Hilton, Ritchie, Spelling and all the other wastes of space in the world....living on the streets, eating out of a dumpster, can't afford medical care and of cousre unable to buy new clothes.

I think all their money should be stripped from them on the grounds of walking in public without a brain!  If we took all the money these BRATS have we could provide medical care for those who need it, get all the homeless people off the streets and into homes and provide all the hungry with the proper nurishment they need!

Heck, with all that money those BRATS throw away on clothes and alcohol, it could be used in low income housing areas to build better homes for the less fortunate.  The possibilities are endless! 

I have no sympathy for the guys coming on this show! Why should I?  "Oh poor me, I have more money than I know what to do with. My life is so empty and unfullfilled. " Give me a break.

I have a good idea...why not cover shows like, Low income families working for only $5.75 an hour. Or Why do our Enlisted Military get paid LESS than Minimun wage.  Or Where do people go for GOOD health care if they can not afford Ins..

That list could go on and on. The REAL people in America are sick to death of hearing the "poor, pitifull me", crap from the rich and famous!  I for one, am so tired of hearing about how much a sports player is getting paid to join a football or basketball team!  Wow, so you can carry a ball!!!  Then you must deserve to get paid MILLIONS of dollars for that.  

I say we take all the money these sports stars and movie actors and actresses are getting paid and give it to the Military who are fighting for those BRATS FREEDOM.    We need to see who our true American Heros are. And they are not the ....Lohan's or Spellings or any sports person we see in the news nightly. 

Sorry if I am ranting...but I find this topic very irritating to me.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last