Message Boards

Topic : 04/05 “What’s Up, Doc?”

Number of Replies: 139
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, March 29, 2007, 12:44:31 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Armed with a team of four doctors who have four different specialties, Dr. Phil busts medical myths and answers your burning questions! First up, the doctors weigh in on controversial headlines from women over 40 having babies to celebrities in rehab. Then, Kim is only 48, but says she has so many wrinkles, people think she’s old enough to retire. Plastic surgeon Dr. Ordon gives Kim a 15-minute makeover backstage, and you won’t believe the results! And, Amy and her husband, Joe, say getting their two girls to bed at night can take up to two hours and involve lots of tantrums. Pediatrician Dr. Brown makes a house call to the harried parents. Will Amy and Joe finally get some ZZZZs? Plus, OB/GYN Dr. Masterson performs an ultrasound on stage, and meet a woman who says she exercises three times a week and lifts weights, so how could she have osteoporosis? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 5, 2007, 2:05 pm CDT

Licenses...

Quote From: thecatlady

Hi-

That's exactly why I went on the show....so that people like you - who know the truth - would tell the truth.  THANK YOU!!!

When Dr. Phil said to me about that "that's who they do business with (i.e. the drug companies),I wish I would've said, "the doctor is supposed to represent ME...I'm who they do business with!!!".  Of course, you can't think of everything to say when you are up there on stage...I did the best I could.

Thanks again for sharing what you know to be true!

The doctor isn't going to give you something that's going to harm you.  They do their research too.  Whenever the drug companies come to "seduce" the office with their clickie pens, notepads, and free lunches (which are a drop in the bucket to what they spend in product development), the doctor will usually ask the rep about what they' ve heard about the product and gather as much info from journals and books about it.

The doctor I used to work for would take the risk/benefit ratio into consideration before prescribing meds that may have serious consequences for the user.  Doctors have their licenses on the line, they're not going to recommend something to a patient without weighing the serious ramifications.  Of course, the patient can get second or third opinions if they think the doctor isn't looking out for their best interests.

That's what I know to be true.

April 5, 2007, 2:07 pm CDT

Tummy Tuck

OMG!!  I would love someone to pay for my own tummy tuck...  I have been trying for 3 years now to save up for one...  I am a stay at home mother of 2...  I have been hand quilting quilts and watching a friend's daughter just to make some $$...  I would love to put that back into myself, but that is impossible when you make so little...  I do not want to go to work, not because I'm lazy, but because my children deserve to be home with me...  I have had them in daycare before, and was appalled at how they were treated...  Since then, I have been home with them...  My husband and I jsut purchased a new house, so any small amout of $$ I make goes to milk money, as always...  This lady was just given a $6000 - $10000 proceedure, just to get rid of some fat around her middle...  I was a size 2 when I got pregnant with my first child...  Unfortunately, I ended up with very high blood pressure, and preeclampsia...  Within my last 2 months of pregnancy, I gained roughtly 40 pounds of water weight...  The  stretch marks are unbelievable...  They go from my arms to my ankles...I had gained about 70+ plounds with my first pregnancy, then 2 years later, I was pregnanct again and gained an additional 50 pounds... 

It is now almost 5 years later, and the stretch marks are still there...  They still go from my arms to my ankles...  Even though I have lost all the weight and am able to wear size 6 pants again, it does nothing for the "saddle bags" that hang down where I really should have a flat stomach for being in shape and not over-weight...  Let me say I have experienced the worst self-esteem ever...  I don't even like getting undressed or dressed infront of my hubby because my stomach and thighs are so "gross"...

I just can't believe that that beautiful woman was concerned with her stomach...  Honestly it did not look that bad...  Mine's 10 times worse than that...  I would give anything for someone to just give me the $$ for that kind of operation...  I've been trying to train for a marathon, but am disgusted with myself because my stomach skin just flops around...  Don't think I'll be able to do the marathon beacuse of my own self esteem problems...  Oh, well...  I just hope this woman appreciates what has been given to her....  As for me, I will continue hand quilting, and hopefully, one year I'll have enough to pay for my own tummy tuck...

April 5, 2007, 2:13 pm CDT

04/05 “What’s Up, Doc?”

I can't believe that he just said that Doctors don't get kick backs from drug companies.   THAT IS A LIE.  I worked for a doctor and everyday a drug rep was bring in something. .  We received free lunch almost every day from drug reps and the lunch just wasn't peanut butter and jelly.  The Doctor was getting free golf games, free tickets to ball games, you name it and the doctor got it.  If drug companies would spend less on the doctor and offices, maybe they could do more research and charge a lot less for the drug.  We are all paying for the kick backs.

April 5, 2007, 2:14 pm CDT

Milk banks...

Quote From: mercee

Dr Phil, I am surprised that you are not more informed on a well known practice that makes a lot of sense, if you really think about it.  Women have nursed other women's  babies from the beginning of time and was very popular with women of the upperclass that thought it beneath thier status to nurse, it was not fashionable at that time.  Some women do not want to expose thier baby to formula, some women for health reasons or other reasons cannot nurse thier baby and choose to have someone they know help out by sharing thier milk.  I was also saddened to hear your response of disapproval about something that you obviously know nothing about but have a strong emotional aversion to.  You represent what is "right" to a lot of your viewers, please be careful about your assumptions.

I would also like to see other health providers represented on your show such as advanced nurse practitioners, and certified nurse midwives.  Many people choose to see a variety of health practitioners.  And when I watch your show I would like to feel represented and not just in a bad way.

They make milk banks for this kind of thing.  They screen it for anything that can be passed thru breast milk (HIV, etc).  I wouldn't let a kid breastfeed from another woman directly because for me, it would be a bonding issue, I wouldn't want my kid bonding with another woman during feedings.  "Exposing" your child to formula isn't a horrible thing either!  You don't have to use cow's milk, you can use soy, you can use goat's milk.  I was formula fed, and I rock!  I learned NEVER to push breastfeeding on a mom, because they will resent you SO fast, your head will spin.  As health providers, we need to open our minds to new info and respect for patient preference.

April 5, 2007, 2:14 pm CDT

Cry me a river...

Was anyone else a bit annoyed with the mom of 4 who complained about her belly. Hello??? Welcome to having children! I had 2 c-sections and have a belly. I breast fed and the breasts are a bit saggy. Such is life! I would love to have a breast "lift"-no increase in size just a little perkier. But I'm NOT going on TV to whine about it and hope for a freebie. Like she was shocked when he gave it to her for free??? That's what Dr. Phil does...

April 5, 2007, 2:22 pm CDT

Osteoporosis - Celiac??

As I watched the segment about Osteoporosis, I tried to talk to you through the television, but it didn't work, ha.

I was diagnosed with severe Osteo at age 38.  It took 2 more years to find an answer. I was fortunate to be seeing a physician at Wash U in St. Louis at the start of a Celiac/Osteo study.  After losing nearly 50% of my bone density at only 40 years of age, I was VERY excited to have an answer.  I wasn't absorbing properly due to an auto immune disease - Celiac Disease. 

What does someone with Celiac do?.... the only answer is to eat 100% gluten free; meaning, no wheat, barley or rye.  Within 6 months, I regained 11% of my bone density.    Not only that, but SO MANY other health issues were resolved; some issues that I thought were just about age! 

I could go on and on. 

PLEASE! do a search for Celiac Disease and consider being tested.  It affects 1 in every 133 people, yet nearly 97% of those in our country who have it remain undiagnosed.  Awareness is increasing, which is surely seen in food availability.  The growth in our local support group is evidence to the increase in testing and diagnosis of Celiac Disease.  It's HUGE!

April 5, 2007, 2:27 pm CDT

Wet Nurses

Quote From: mercee

Dr Phil, I am surprised that you are not more informed on a well known practice that makes a lot of sense, if you really think about it.  Women have nursed other women's  babies from the beginning of time and was very popular with women of the upperclass that thought it beneath thier status to nurse, it was not fashionable at that time.  Some women do not want to expose thier baby to formula, some women for health reasons or other reasons cannot nurse thier baby and choose to have someone they know help out by sharing thier milk.  I was also saddened to hear your response of disapproval about something that you obviously know nothing about but have a strong emotional aversion to.  You represent what is "right" to a lot of your viewers, please be careful about your assumptions.

I would also like to see other health providers represented on your show such as advanced nurse practitioners, and certified nurse midwives.  Many people choose to see a variety of health practitioners.  And when I watch your show I would like to feel represented and not just in a bad way.

My grandmother was a wet nurse for the white lady she worked for back in the 1920s.  She had no choice in the matter or would otherwise have lost her job.  Not only did she nurse the boss' babies, but any other baby that was brought to her.  The great thing about this was she was fed very well by her boss to produce an abundance of nutritious milk.  Oh, the stories she told us as little girls.     

April 5, 2007, 2:27 pm CDT

Drug companies

Quote From: thecatlady

Hi-

That's exactly why I went on the show....so that people like you - who know the truth - would tell the truth.  THANK YOU!!!

When Dr. Phil said to me about that "that's who they do business with (i.e. the drug companies),I wish I would've said, "the doctor is supposed to represent ME...I'm who they do business with!!!".  Of course, you can't think of everything to say when you are up there on stage...I did the best I could.

Thanks again for sharing what you know to be true!

In addition to the MDs being 'in bed' with the drug companies, the FDA's budget is nearly 50% funded by the pharmacological companies.  The continuing education that doctor's receive is not given by medical schools, colleges or the like, but are given by the drug companies.  You cannot continue to be a doctor without the medical CEs.  Guess what the first thing a doctor is given when graduating from med school?  A prescription pad.

April 5, 2007, 2:30 pm CDT

Doctor's prescriptions

Quote From: gwarrior6

The doctor isn't going to give you something that's going to harm you.  They do their research too.  Whenever the drug companies come to "seduce" the office with their clickie pens, notepads, and free lunches (which are a drop in the bucket to what they spend in product development), the doctor will usually ask the rep about what they' ve heard about the product and gather as much info from journals and books about it.

The doctor I used to work for would take the risk/benefit ratio into consideration before prescribing meds that may have serious consequences for the user.  Doctors have their licenses on the line, they're not going to recommend something to a patient without weighing the serious ramifications.  Of course, the patient can get second or third opinions if they think the doctor isn't looking out for their best interests.

Over 100,000 people die each year by taking prescription drugs exactly as prescribed by a doctor or following his orders exactly.  Doctors are good people, but are the people who operate the drug companies?  Their only concern is the bottom line & how they can avoid litigation (or at least figure out how much money it will cost them should their drug be harmful).

April 5, 2007, 2:36 pm CDT

Doctor's & sales reps

Quote From: gwarrior6

Since doctors don't have much time anymore to visit with sales reps, have you noticed on the national evening news (as well as other times of day) the drug company commercials have inserted a line of dialogue: "Ask your doctor if (insert drug's name) is right for you."  Next time, count how many drug commercials are aired during the 30 minute national news on ABC, CBS or NBC.  Also, note the lack of exposure by the national networks of drug company problems (i.e. baycor, celebrex, vioxx, et. al.).  But, should an herb have one or two incidents, how quick the news is to report it and the FDA (supported by the drug companies) is to pull it.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last