Message Boards

Topic : 04/05 “What’s Up, Doc?”

Number of Replies: 139
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, March 29, 2007, 12:44:31 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Armed with a team of four doctors who have four different specialties, Dr. Phil busts medical myths and answers your burning questions! First up, the doctors weigh in on controversial headlines from women over 40 having babies to celebrities in rehab. Then, Kim is only 48, but says she has so many wrinkles, people think she’s old enough to retire. Plastic surgeon Dr. Ordon gives Kim a 15-minute makeover backstage, and you won’t believe the results! And, Amy and her husband, Joe, say getting their two girls to bed at night can take up to two hours and involve lots of tantrums. Pediatrician Dr. Brown makes a house call to the harried parents. Will Amy and Joe finally get some ZZZZs? Plus, OB/GYN Dr. Masterson performs an ultrasound on stage, and meet a woman who says she exercises three times a week and lifts weights, so how could she have osteoporosis? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 5, 2007, 3:58 pm CDT

drugs

I agree with the lady who was diagnosed with osteoporosis that she doesn't want to take drugs. Every time I go to the doctor he gives me some kind of prescription. If I'm sick and it can make be better that's fine but if it's a long term drug I do not take it because some of these drugs can cause worse things than what they say is wrong with you.  As for the doctor saying that doctors do not make money prescribing drugs, maybe not but they get something out of it or they would help you find a healthier alternative.  Sometimes it takes years of people taking drugs before they find out the damage they can cause. I for one do not want to be one of the guinea pigs, thank you............

April 5, 2007, 4:05 pm CDT

04/05 “What’s Up, Doc?”

I think the ob/gyn was entirely irresponsible for making it seem like it is totally fine for women to wait that long to have children without at least mentioning the possibility that there are going to be problems when these ladies then try to conceive.  Conception itself becomes increasingly difficult with age, add to that additional problems older women have with miscarriages, and then birth defects and chromosomal abrnomalities--all of these risks increase with age.  Sure, women can wait that long, and have every right to do so, but i think it is completely and totally unrealistic to expect having children then to be a walk in the park, and i believe that she should have mentioned the fact that having children at an older age is likely to cost you thousands of dollars.  IVF cycles are not cheap, most insurances don't cover infertility treatments, so you are looking at about 10,000 every time you want to try to have a baby.  She was flippant and made it seem like there are no drawbacks to waiting to have children. I have suffered infertility for over two and a half years, have had seven miscarriages, and wasted tens of thousands of dollars on treatments, and we are by no means wealthy.  Unfortunately for me, I am only 29, but even at 29, my body does not care how old I am, apparently I have the eggs of a 40 year old.  I just felt like she did not acknowledge the other side, and in doing so, she ignored the thousands of women who did wait and now regret it because of infertility issues.  It ain't easy to get pregnant at all--you have a 20% chance every month if you and your partner are both perfectly healthy, add other factors in, and many women could end up disappointed.  It is not like they taught us in health class where looking at a penis could get you pregnant.  If you fall pregnant easily, lucky for you--and if you are rich enough to spend tens of thousands of dollars on IVF, wonderful, choose to wait, but she ignored the infertile population and sent the wrong message to women.

April 5, 2007, 4:21 pm CDT

Mothers over 40

That really ticked me off saying women over 40 were too old to have children.  I'm 49 and some of us don't have a choice.  I have started an IVF treatment recently.  I have tried to have children for a long time and this is my one and only shot at being a mother.  If I'm physically capable of having the children and can keep up, why is it a problem? I was adopted as a child and my adoptive mom was 39 when she adopted me.  I don't feel that age had anything to do with it. 

April 5, 2007, 4:38 pm CDT

good for her!!

Quote From: pelt5150

Glad I'm not the only one...  I did make a post a few comments back...  Yeah, did you hear her say that it would be nice for the consult, but now she has 2 kids to put through college and doesn't have the $$ for the tuck??  Geez...  Like I said in my post, i just hope she realizes what kind of gift was given to her...  wouldn't it be great for someone else to give you that $$ for cosmetic surgery? 
i think you all are just hating on this woman cause ya'll didn't think of it first.  ya'll just mad.  i would drop to my knees and praise God if Dr. Phil offered to pay for my plastic surgrey. 
i am a mother to 5 children.  i nursed them all.  i have the boobs of an 80 year old lady and the stomach of a 5 month pregnant woman.  i would love to make them both go away.  but like this woman cannot afford it.  i went from a lean runner to a fat flappy saggy mom in the last 9 years.  :(  and to add insult to injury i have an identical twin who has one child and looks as we did before children.  so i get to look at my former self everyday and hate it that i don't look like that anymore.  so stop drinking on the hateraid and give that woman a pat on the back.  i don't think Dr. Phil fell for anything.  i wanted to cry with her cause i was happy for her.  i was sad for myself that i wouldn't be getting it but hey, he can't pay for everybody's surgery.  STOP HATING!!!!

April 5, 2007, 4:46 pm CDT

04/05 “What’s Up, Doc?”

Quote From: mommy2nicholas

Was anyone else a bit annoyed with the mom of 4 who complained about her belly. Hello??? Welcome to having children! I had 2 c-sections and have a belly. I breast fed and the breasts are a bit saggy. Such is life! I would love to have a breast "lift"-no increase in size just a little perkier. But I'm NOT going on TV to whine about it and hope for a freebie. Like she was shocked when he gave it to her for free??? That's what Dr. Phil does...

Thanks, that's just what I was thinking, hello, you had four children, it happens.

That fifteen minute makeover though, not trying to be mean here, really, but I really didn't notice much difference, and despite what the surgeon said, I have gotten the same results from regularly using a good toner and moisturizer, maybe my glasses need to be changed or I should move the TV closer when I watch.

April 5, 2007, 4:57 pm CDT

04/05 “What’s Up, Doc?”

Quote From: thecatlady

Hi and I'm sooo sorry to hear about your situation.  Listen, I've done lots and lots of research on this...that's why I went on the show.  Hopefully, to tell people taking the drugs isn't the only way!  If you have a "score" that's below normal (and I have my issues with that...), do weight bearing exercise.  That's the only TRUE way to build good, new, healthy bone!  You don't have to become some big-time body builder.  Get a Bowflex or some free weights or just some resistance bands (Walmart).  There are lots of books about how you can REVERSE this condition.  Let me know if you'd like some titles.

Here's a website to read about the drugs you were taking...not good and again, I'm so sorry you took them!

www.womentowomen.com

You'll have to click on stuff 'till you find the article titled "Osteoporosis and Fosamax" by Marcelle Pick, OB/GYN

So far so good for me, whew, though I feel for your situation, you seem to be doing quite well without the drugs,.

I had my bones checked recently because I have some of the risk factors, caucasion, small build, smoker (no lectures please)  and family history, and the fact that I'm not crazy about most dairy foods, hmm guess I have the big ones though.

I will say I was disappointed with the two Docs almost ganging up on you about that, you have obviously done your own research, and are very proactive when it comes to your health.  I have started at the local gym in weight exercising, and I've been out walking more with the dogs, I want to stay away from drugs as well if I can, thank goodness I have a Doc that listens and is willing to try alternatives, note to Docs, that will make your patients trust you more if you are willing to listen to them, and not dismiss alternatives as voodoo, there are no magic pills, if there were none of us would get sick.

To patients I would say get proactive, and talk to your Doc, if you have to, print the articles or the research and give it to him/her to see for themselves, they too are human.

April 5, 2007, 5:29 pm CDT

Perosis lady here....

Quote From: youryou

I too, have been diagnosed with osteopenia.  I'm 48 and thin.  One thing my ob/gyn told me was that thin women are more prone to osteoperosis because of the lack of density in the fat cells.  Evidently fat cells excrete estrogen which aids in bone strength.  After doing what little research there is with any of these drugs, I selected Boniva.  I, too, am more of a homeopath and have issues with taking synthetic drugs.

Oddly enough, my dentist and periodontist had already cited bone loss in my jaw... years prior to being diagnosed with osteopenia.

Does anyone know anything about Boniva vs. Fosomax?

In addition to the Boniva, I exercise (not very much, but I do), take Caltrate, and drink about a gallon - or more - of skim milk per week.

PLEASE, PLEASE read all the previous posts.  There is a lady who has a terrible jaw problem because of taking Fosamax which is the same type of drug as Boniva.  Her post is pretty far at the beginning of this message board.  OR, click on my replies...I replied to her and that will get you to her message.

Also, go to womentowomen.com and read the article Osteoporosis & Fosamax by Dr. Marcelle Pick, OB/GYN

Bonivia is the same type of drug and if you are having trouble with it, you probably will also have trouble with Fosamax.

April 5, 2007, 5:38 pm CDT

thank you

Quote From: jimmylegs

hi catlady and everyone.  just saw the what's up doc show.  i was sympathetic, CL, because i was given a diagnosis in 2006 and offered drugs.  when i said no thanks, i never heard from my clinic again, they do not seem to be interested in follow up.  i figured i was on my own and since that time have done a lot of reading in the medical journals.  i was a 15-year vegan so we could share some nutritional issues.  as a result of my reading, one of my ongoing things to monitor is vitamin D.  i am trying to keep my level over 100 nmol/L, but at last test it was down to 80 so I am supplementing again. 

my big question for you CL is have they tested your vitamin D3 level (and i mean specifically serum 25hydroxycholecalciferol), and your parathyroid hormone?  if they have and everything looks good, then i have nothing else to contribute.  if they haven't, here are some links to interesting reading:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16960175&query_hl=9&itool=pubmed_docsum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=15776217&query_hl=13&itool=pubmed_docsum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11238511&dopt=Abstract

this one is from march 2007 and has no abstract, but i got in to have a read of the full text through my school access and basically yep, it is just a whole whackload of people saying we have to stop going around in circles in the research and change the recommended daily intakes for vitamin D.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=17344484&query_hl=15&itool=pubmed_docsum

this article is from the january 2007 issue of the american journal of clinical nutrition, yet another finding that the Upper Limit for vitamin D3 intake should be 10,000IU.  (whereas current recommended dailies are a paltry 200IU-600IU).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=17209171&query_hl=17&itool=pubmed_docsum

i could dig through my files and come up with much much more if you would like to read it.  over 75 nmol/L appears to be a valid target, established in the research, for preventing osteoporosis, and there is a whole other fun arena of reading about vitamin D3 with respect to immune system function, once you get done with the bones.  anyone with cancer, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, all that kind of stuff, you may find it an interesting research topic.

obviously nmol/L is metric, the conversion factor is:

25-Hydroxyvitamin D 1 ng/mL = 2.496 nmol/L

which i got from this site:

http://www.unc.edu/rowlett/units/scales/clinical_data.html

i hope this is useful to you catlady, best wishes.

Hi and thank you for taking the time to write all this info.

Yes, I've had my vitamin D checked as well as my parathyroid gland.  All ok.  But now that you wrote all of this, I will go back thru the records to look specifically at the D3 and I will look at all the web pages/ articles you referenced.

Thank you so much.  Knowledge is power.

April 5, 2007, 5:41 pm CDT

Check out previous post

Quote From: gwarrior6

The doctor isn't going to give you something that's going to harm you.  They do their research too.  Whenever the drug companies come to "seduce" the office with their clickie pens, notepads, and free lunches (which are a drop in the bucket to what they spend in product development), the doctor will usually ask the rep about what they' ve heard about the product and gather as much info from journals and books about it.

The doctor I used to work for would take the risk/benefit ratio into consideration before prescribing meds that may have serious consequences for the user.  Doctors have their licenses on the line, they're not going to recommend something to a patient without weighing the serious ramifications.  Of course, the patient can get second or third opinions if they think the doctor isn't looking out for their best interests.

That's what I know to be true.

Check out jayfay's april 5th 11:22 post.  She'll tell you about getting prescribed a drug (Fosamax) that hurt her.

April 5, 2007, 5:45 pm CDT

gluten free

Quote From: glutenfree

As I watched the segment about Osteoporosis, I tried to talk to you through the television, but it didn't work, ha.

I was diagnosed with severe Osteo at age 38.  It took 2 more years to find an answer. I was fortunate to be seeing a physician at Wash U in St. Louis at the start of a Celiac/Osteo study.  After losing nearly 50% of my bone density at only 40 years of age, I was VERY excited to have an answer.  I wasn't absorbing properly due to an auto immune disease - Celiac Disease. 

What does someone with Celiac do?.... the only answer is to eat 100% gluten free; meaning, no wheat, barley or rye.  Within 6 months, I regained 11% of my bone density.    Not only that, but SO MANY other health issues were resolved; some issues that I thought were just about age! 

I could go on and on. 

PLEASE! do a search for Celiac Disease and consider being tested.  It affects 1 in every 133 people, yet nearly 97% of those in our country who have it remain undiagnosed.  Awareness is increasing, which is surely seen in food availability.  The growth in our local support group is evidence to the increase in testing and diagnosis of Celiac Disease.  It's HUGE!

Hey there!

Thank you so much for the information.  I will absolutely check into this.  A post after yours talked about the type of wheat.  I get my wheat from a farmer here and store it here in the house.  It's doubtful that this has anything to do with my situation (my husband isn't loosing bone density and he eats the wheat too) but I will most definitely look into all of this.

Thanks again for your input.  Knowledge is power!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last