Message Boards

Topic : 04/05 “What’s Up, Doc?”

Number of Replies: 139
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, March 29, 2007, 12:44:31 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Armed with a team of four doctors who have four different specialties, Dr. Phil busts medical myths and answers your burning questions! First up, the doctors weigh in on controversial headlines from women over 40 having babies to celebrities in rehab. Then, Kim is only 48, but says she has so many wrinkles, people think she’s old enough to retire. Plastic surgeon Dr. Ordon gives Kim a 15-minute makeover backstage, and you won’t believe the results! And, Amy and her husband, Joe, say getting their two girls to bed at night can take up to two hours and involve lots of tantrums. Pediatrician Dr. Brown makes a house call to the harried parents. Will Amy and Joe finally get some ZZZZs? Plus, OB/GYN Dr. Masterson performs an ultrasound on stage, and meet a woman who says she exercises three times a week and lifts weights, so how could she have osteoporosis? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 1, 2007, 8:15 pm CDT

Plastic Surgery

I think a little surgery never hurt anyone !  But some people go to far.   I had a tummy tuck and a breast reduction 2 years ago.  The breast reduction was the best thing I ever did.  The tummy tuck was Ok, I thought I'd of had a flat stomach, but I don;t.  Not as happy with the results,  maybe I was expection too much.   I do have a couple of other questions, I had botox and the next day I came down with a sore throat and sinus infection.  Could it of been because of the botox ?    Also 4 years ago I had an endescopy, they said I had a small hiatial hernia & gastritis.  Well I started having trouble swallowing and had another one, they said I had a hiatial hernia, cronic gastritis and an esphopagil ring.  How could I have all that when I've been on Prevacid for 2 years.  Before that I was on Protonix, but switched insurance companies.  Do you think Prevacid didn't work for me?

April 1, 2007, 8:23 pm CDT

04/05 “What’s Up, Doc?”

mabe she is not eating the right food or could it be  that osteoperosis run in the family?

April 2, 2007, 9:55 am CDT

04/05 “What’s Up, Doc?”

holy cow is this a new show or a repeat from last fall?  I didn't think they had any new shows yet this time of year.

April 2, 2007, 7:45 pm CDT

Plastic surgery

I am looking forward to the show.  I want to see what you can look like with a 15 minute non surgery procedure.  I'm 50 and want to look as good as I can.  I heard today about a basketball team for grannys, 50+, I think it would be fun !!

April 3, 2007, 9:15 am CDT

whats up

Quote From: milababy1

mabe she is not eating the right food or could it be  that osteoperosis run in the family?

maybe its not what shes doing now that matters but what she done ten years ago in regards to her eating healty and exercising?

April 4, 2007, 1:41 pm CDT

What's up doc

Catlady~ Was this show taped on Janurary 25 (Thur)? If so this was the show I could have been on for infertility.  They had called me back after I answered one of there posts on the interent (called back within a few hours) they were more interested in having me with my mom on there as she wasn't supportive of me going on fertility drugs...she was afraid things would get turned around,etc.  So how did it go? Was it worth your time?  Did they even have a couple or anything on infertlitiy? I had wondered if they even had taped the show as I didn't think it would take this long to air.  Well excited to watch it tomorrow and I am sorry to hear you didn't get a chance to say the things you wanted to or did they edit it out??

April 4, 2007, 7:49 pm CDT

funnygirl29

I just wanted to qualify one thing I said in my earlier post about the four doctors...

IMO, the pediatrician actually helped the couple that she worked with and had some good things to contribute throughout the show.

April 5, 2007, 8:10 am CDT

Dietary help for osteoporosis

If you want to prevent or slow down bone density loss, one of the best things you can do is eliminate acidic foods, particularly soda pop. Your blood must maintain a certain slightly alkaline PH and it will take calcium from your bones to bufer the acidity in your blood caused by the typical American diet. Food that are acidic: most grains, all proteins, fats, sugars and some fruits. Alkaline foods: nearly all vegetables, some fruits some dairy products. Soda pop is very acidic and studies show decreased bone density in people who consume a lot of sodas. Foods that are very alkaline are ginger, garlic, deep green vegetables and citrus fruits. Anyone can research this but the short version is a diet that is 50 to 80% alkaline producing foods will help you in every possible way.  

April 5, 2007, 8:48 am CDT

Thanks

Quote From: valordave

If you want to prevent or slow down bone density loss, one of the best things you can do is eliminate acidic foods, particularly soda pop. Your blood must maintain a certain slightly alkaline PH and it will take calcium from your bones to bufer the acidity in your blood caused by the typical American diet. Food that are acidic: most grains, all proteins, fats, sugars and some fruits. Alkaline foods: nearly all vegetables, some fruits some dairy products. Soda pop is very acidic and studies show decreased bone density in people who consume a lot of sodas. Foods that are very alkaline are ginger, garlic, deep green vegetables and citrus fruits. Anyone can research this but the short version is a diet that is 50 to 80% alkaline producing foods will help you in every possible way.  

Hi and thanks so much for the tips. 

I don't drink ANY soda at all.  Of course I eat whole grains and when I mean whole grains, I don't mean anything from the store.  I get my wheat from a farmer here and grind the wheat myself.  Protein...well, we all need protein to live and my protein comes from beans and TVP.  I eat NO refined sugar...only sucanant which is a whole food.  I eat a good amount of ginger, garlic and deep green veggies and some citrus fruits.  My diet is an extremely low fat diet...I've been a vegetarian for 17 years or so.

I appreciate your input, but I doubt diet contributes much to my bone loss.  Bone loss after age 35 is a normal process and I believe since I am sooo small to begin with, that my "scores" are lower than the "average" size person at a baseline.  Because I have maintained my bone density (+/- .01) over the last 6 years just by lifting weights tells me the new bone I'm making (by weight bearing exercise) is at least happening at the same rate as the loss so altho I'd like the new bone to be a little faster than the rate of loss, I can be thankful for at least an equal ratio of loss to new bone.

Thanks again for your input.  It is also possible that there is a secondary reason for my bone loss.  No doctor wants to go there.  I guess it's just too much trouble for anyone to consider.  They just want to medicate.  They aren't interested in really finding out the core reason...they just want to treat the symptom.  A sad and lazy approach I must say.

April 5, 2007, 11:10 am CDT

It couldn't hurt to see an alternative doctor

Quote From: thecatlady

Hi and thanks so much for the tips. 

I don't drink ANY soda at all.  Of course I eat whole grains and when I mean whole grains, I don't mean anything from the store.  I get my wheat from a farmer here and grind the wheat myself.  Protein...well, we all need protein to live and my protein comes from beans and TVP.  I eat NO refined sugar...only sucanant which is a whole food.  I eat a good amount of ginger, garlic and deep green veggies and some citrus fruits.  My diet is an extremely low fat diet...I've been a vegetarian for 17 years or so.

I appreciate your input, but I doubt diet contributes much to my bone loss.  Bone loss after age 35 is a normal process and I believe since I am sooo small to begin with, that my "scores" are lower than the "average" size person at a baseline.  Because I have maintained my bone density (+/- .01) over the last 6 years just by lifting weights tells me the new bone I'm making (by weight bearing exercise) is at least happening at the same rate as the loss so altho I'd like the new bone to be a little faster than the rate of loss, I can be thankful for at least an equal ratio of loss to new bone.

Thanks again for your input.  It is also possible that there is a secondary reason for my bone loss.  No doctor wants to go there.  I guess it's just too much trouble for anyone to consider.  They just want to medicate.  They aren't interested in really finding out the core reason...they just want to treat the symptom.  A sad and lazy approach I must say.

Congrats on the good diet. It might be a good idea to seek suggestions outside the medical doctor community. In my state you can become a general practioner with no courses in human nutrition. It is an ellective course for many medical doctors. I tried to ask a gastroenterologist about my diet problems, (I have celiac sprue/ gluten intolerance) and he referred me to his staff nutritionist. He didn't know because he wasn't trained in nutrition. That may be changing with public demand but there are doctors such as natropaths, and doctors of Integrative Medicine (trained by Andrew Weil's Integrative Medicine Program at Arizona State University), that have extensive nutritional education and of couse there is plenty of nutritional reseach done by nutritionists. There should be a specialty called Nutritional Medicine in Medical Schools.  I see a doctor here in Columbus Ohio who has two medical degrees (psycho-neuro -immunology and pediatics) but she has self-educated herself on Nutrition and is an expert in that as well. From my own research I can tell you that the number one deficiency in the Americal diet is Calcium. Yet people have kidney stones and burrs and other such problems which seem to indicate that we get too much calcium. I think the problem lies in what type of Calcium. Calcium citrate seems to be the most easily assimilated by humans. Calcium from shells or ground up bones is not very digestable by humans. Cow have four stomachs but humans have one and that makes me wonder about cow's milk as a source of calcium for humans. There is plenty of hutritional research out there to find; studies that indicate the importance of vitamin D in the assimilation of calcium so I wish you good luck. I hope you will consider the advice of throughly trained nutritionists and doctors who can test for nutritional deficiencies. I have multiple heath issues ranging from Coronary Artery disease, Lupus and various digestive isses including leaky gut syndrome. gluten intolerance and pyroluria all of which are factors in whether or not I get the nutrients I put in my mouth and seem to be factors in the two life-threatening diseses that I just named. You are obviously well informed and if you continue on that path I think you will find answers that will satify your desire to "do no harm" to yourself. I have discovered that my best doctor is the body itself and if it recieves the raw materials it needs to heal itself, it will.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last