Message Boards

Topic : 04/12 Twin Tug of War

Number of Replies: 849
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 06, 2007, 11:39:40 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Allison Quets made headlines around the world when she allegedly kidnapped her 17-month-old twins across the border into Canada this past Christmas. She had given them up for adoption, but did she do so under duress? She now says she suffered from a pregnancy disease called hyperemesis that left her malnourished and sleep deprived to the point of complete exhaustion. See an exclusive interview with Allison from behind bars where she awaits trial on two counts of international parental kidnapping, with a possible sentence of three years behind bars. Then, look inside the life of a woman who is only three-and-a-half months pregnant and so sick with hyperemesis she spends most of her day on the bathroom floor. Plus, find out what all women need to know about hyperemesis: How you get it, how to know you have it, and whether it could kill you or your unborn child. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 27, 2008, 10:30 am CST

04/12 Twin Tug of War

Quote From: cazbir

This show aired in Australia today, and i was reduced to tears for Allison. She does NOT deserve to be in jail. She was bullied into giving her Children up for adoption. I seriously hope and pary that she is freed from jail ans is rightfully given her children back. I just feel so sorry for her, her poor babies need and should be with there Mother. I hope we see a happy follow up story on Dr Phil about this soon.
i agree 100% this case is disgusting itd be different if the situation was differet i.e actuall kidnapping.

January 27, 2008, 10:33 am CST

unbelievable

i am in utter disgust this case is distraghtfull she their biological mother has done nothing wrong in her life and is being treated as a criminal gosh america are you kidding me  

April 8, 2008, 7:09 am CDT

what's best for the children

While I feel a deep sympathy for any woman who suffers HG, the main issue here are these children. It's so easy to support Ms Quets, but before you do a thorough knowledge of the facts in this case is needed.

She IS NOT biologically/genetically related to these children at all because with her IVF a DONOR EGG AND SPERM were used. She was simply an incubator and is no more genetically connected to them than their adoptive parents.

She initiated the adoption months before giving birth. In fact, this was the SECOND set of adoptive parents she had dealt with. The adoptive parents of these children initially pulled out because of her demands for reimbursement for IVF procedures and other expenses amounting to over 30,000. 

She knew for MONTHS of her intention to kidnap them and flee to Canada. She obtained a passport MONTHS before by falsely claiming to be the custodial parent. She researched extradiction laws in other countries and at one point considered Denmark. She even made a "trial run" weeks before the actual kidnapping by flying with one twin and even entering Canada. She had rented a residence there. She, using a credit card, had obtained an immigration attorney.

ALL of the FACTS are easily researched and are ALL TRUTH. Ms. Quets, according to the Judge in a judgement in this case, found Ms Quets to be dishonest, manipulative, and a threat to these children.

Allison Quets needs to fess up and stop her deceit. The TRUE FACTS of this case are there if one cares to research. The real victims in this case are these children. They have bonded with the ONLY parents they know and deserve peace and stability. Ms Quets needs to back off and let them live their lives. Her claims of being victimized are getting old as more and more truth comes out in this case. 

Shame on you Allison Quets......you love your children??? want whats best for them??? Think of them for a change instead of your selfish and self serving self! 

June 21, 2008, 10:34 am CDT

Survivor of HG- and wanting another baby

I am a survivor of HG, I was sick from 6 weeks until I gave birth to my beautiful boy! I was hospitalized at 6 weeks pregnant and then I ended up with a PIC line, because I could not put anything in my mouth, water, medicines, food.   I am currently contemplating another baby, but I am terrified to go through this again. I somehow missed the program that was aired in April. and I hope the Dr. Phil will re-run this program. I would love to see it and I think others out there (businesses, friends, family, etc) need to be aware of this disease. When HG survivors tell others their stories, it is blown off as we just cant deal with "morning sickness". Only if they knew how strong the women are that suffer from this debilitating illness.

So Please!.... Dr. Phil please re-run this program and try and get as much publicity as possible, to really get the word out.

August 6, 2008, 9:35 am CDT

Free Allison

As a mother, this show made me really feel  upset...
I cannot understand how, with all the information about this disease, with doctors that can explain all effects on women, someone is able to keep Allison behind bars...
Pregancy changes a woman in so many ways.We have the example of
post-partum depression, very well known for leaving women in a state of apathy, unable to take care of a newborn.
In a state even more debilitating, it's understandable that a woman is not in herself, so more fragile and helpless and easier to deceive. When someone made Allison doubt of her own capacity for being a good mom, I think she started to convince herself that her babies could be better of with other parents.
Really, lets think...what was her mistake on all this??We can only accuse her of loving her babies so very much.
After all the fight she had to go through to have a baby, it's clear her desire of motherhood and only a disease as debilitating as this could cause what happened next.
I am in favour of launching a petition for the release of Allison.If all the attittudes she had were non-sense related with the process of adoption, how can we blame her for running away and trying to stay with the twins for as much as she can? She was sick...a qualified doctor can attest that and explain any jury how someone brilliantand and focused comes to the point of being strenghtless and unable to make any sense.

September 21, 2008, 5:10 am CDT

Hyperemesis

I just saw the story regaring Alison today. I live overseas so we get the shows a bit late :) Nevertheless, I am a regular Dr. Phil addict :)

I have two daughters, ages 5 and 2. Starting at about week 4 of my first pregnancy I started vomiting probably about 24 times a day. AT LEAST once an hour (at least!) so that's how I come to the 24 calculation. I lost weight and could not eat or drink. My husband would prepare a bottle of tea for me to drink and cut up apples or some other fruit for me to eat before he would go to work hoping that I would at least be able to eat that. Nope. I was so sick I would lay in bed for a whole week at a time dragging myself out of bed only to go to the bathroom. I had to brush my teeth in bed and would shower once a week on friday (I normaly shower twice a day as I am a germ freak...) I am jewish and keep the sabbath so my husband bought a chair to put in the shower because I couldnt stand. My husband couldnt cook in the house or bring any cooked food home because the smell would make me vomit. 6 years later (my daughter is 5) I can still remember that smell he broguht home one night that made me vomitm the whole entire night. everyone said just wait it will pass after 3 months. Mean while I was hospitalized for being on the highest level of dhydration and needed IV. 3 months came and went and I continued vomiting and feeling like I would rather be dead than pregnant. I would tell my Doctor and she didnt seem to care or think anything of it. She told me to try ginger- let me tell you... that did nothing. I got fired from my job because I was too sick to get out of bed. This lasted all the way through my pregnancy including delivery. I vomited my way through the delivery only to hear the Doctor's say "thats a good sign! That means the baby is coming soon!" Right. I said I would wait 5 years to get pregnant again. 2 years later I decided to try it again hoping that the second time around would be different. At week 4 again the vomiting and horrible nausea began. I went to the Doctor right away because I was told by friends that there is a medication called Pramin that helps. I took pramin and instead of vomiting 24 times a day I was down to 2-3 times a day. I was eating crackers trying to help keep my stomach full. Again the Doctor's didnt take me seriously. To the point where at one of my check ups the Doctor told me it looks like I'm going to have a miscarriage because my hormones were very low and I thought to myself I hope it's not going to be a miscarraige because I will never get pregnant again. I had to go have the diabetes test done when that test is done (I dont remember when that is...) and I told the Doctor that I will vomiut and there's no point in taking it. So the first time I took it I felt aweful but I managed to drink the nasty fluid and vomiting after the blood test but I was sent to do the second round which is fasting and then drinking the fluid and doing 3 blood tests every hour. I told them that I would vomit and asked if there is any other way to do it. I was basicaly forced to do this test and of course after I drank the fluid I vomited and they still made me stay to do the 4 hour testing which included a blood test every hour.  After which I was told that the results mean nothing since I couldnt keep the fluid down. I did not think I am diebetic as I am 5"4 and weigh 120 lbs. and did not eat sugar like food's. As I am an orthodox jew there is pressure to have more than one or two kids. In my circels having 3 kids is like the minimum. I cannot see myself having another child having to go through such difficult pregnancies.  My friends think I'm crazy that I dont want to have more kids and my husband would be very disappointed. I have never heard of hyperemesis before but I am going to research it now. I may not have that because it sounds that as aweful as I feel when I am pregnant (and cant imagine it being worse!) I see other woman who wrote here and the woman who was on the Dr. Phil show when this story came out have it much worse. I say that if I could be put into an induced coma for 9 months maybe I would consider it!

September 23, 2008, 3:07 am CDT

Saw the program when it aired here the other day

This is the disease that likely killed Charlotte Bronte (Author of Jane Eyre, Shirley) and other 19th century classics.

September 23, 2008, 3:07 am CDT

Saw the program when it aired here the other day

This is the disease that likely killed Charlotte Bronte (Author of Jane Eyre, Shirley) and other 19th century classics.

September 28, 2008, 9:52 pm CDT

Helping my daughter survive hyperemesis

My daughter, Melinda, is 21 and pregnent with her second child.  She has been diagnosed with hyperemesis and has beed hospitalized 7 times and is only in her 16th week.  I have read many of the messages from other women dealing with hyperemesis and would like to pass along details of my experience with Melinda hoping that I can help someone else through this awful experience.

After each trip to the hospital, I have learned more about this condition , what treatments have worked best with my daughter and how to be a better advicate for her to insure that she receives the best care as quickly as possible.  Because time is of the essence when trying to controll this sickness.

Melinda was first hooked up with a Reglin pump and would attach the IV line into her leg.  This treatment worked for about a week until the vomiting started again. 

When Melinda starts to get sick, the vomiting is so frequent that she becomes dehidrated very quickly and has to be hospitalized.  After several visits to the hospital and asking many question, we have finally found a treatment that works to stop the vomiting.  She still has episodes of vomiting and has to be hospitalized, but the medication treatment she recieves, allows her to recover much quicker and a little more bearable.

She had her pump medication changed to Zofran, and when she starts to have a vomiting episode that lasts more than 1 hour, she will go to the emergency room to start treatment.  She is put on a cocktail of two medications.  Zofran and Reglin.  Each medication is to be on a scheduled rotation.  Meaning that every 3 hours she will recieve a dose of Zofran or Reglin.  By recieving this type of treatment, she usually will spent about 2 days in the hospital instead of the 5 days she would stay in the beginning.

Although there is no known cure for this disorder,  Melinda has found a treatment that helps to easy the horror of having to live through the experience of having hyperemesis.

By no means am I saying that this exact treatment will work for you or your daughter, but I am saying that you have to take a stand and take note of what works the best,  because when entering the emergency room, you will rarly see the same doctor which means that you know more about the condition you are experiencing better than anyone.  So don't be afraid to speak up and inform them of what you need and ask that they contact your local doctor to start the proper treatment as soon as possible.

First | Prev | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | Next Page | Last Page