Message Boards

Topic : 07/05 180-Degree Turn

Number of Replies: 381
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 06, 2007, 11:46:56 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 4/13/07) Dr. Phil follows up with the guests you’ve been dying to see again! The day Karen first appeared on the show, thousands of viewers wrote in with concern and anger over this mother of five who admitted to verbally and physically abusing her kids. Cameras in her home revealed alarming footage of Karen hitting her son, Brandon, while the other children watched. Eight months have passed since Dr. Phil stepped in to stop the abuse. How is this family now? Then, Earl and Regina were doling out thousands of dollars to their freeloading son, Derek. Dr. Phil sent in the Dr. Phil Mooch Squad, which sent Derek crawling out his bedroom window to escape! Now, the family returns, but one member is conspicuously absent. Find out where the moocher is now! Plus, Dr. Phil follows up on a cheapskate husband, a suburban scrooge and a chocoholic!

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 8, 2007, 8:24 pm CDT

04/13 180-Degree Turn

Quote From: anon_slc

In America there is a common misconception that children runaway from home because they are societal delinquents who want to be free of authority. The media depicts homeless and street kids as "rebels without a cause", as children who have no regard for society, who have no dreams and no aspirations for life but to get high.  

We know this portrayal of homeless and street kids to be false. In fact we know that 90% of children who run away have encountered mental, physical, emotional, and/ or sexual abuse. No child wants to live on the streets. No child wants to have to beg, steal, sell drugs, and/ or themselves just to survive.

More than half of the children on the streets are still under the age of 15.  Unable to legally work, these kids get involved in criminal activity just to survive.  Based on current estimates, there are more than one and a half million children, teenagers and young adults trying to survive on the U.S. streets today.  Children now make up 27 percent of the fastest growing segment of the U.S. homeless population.

For more info:  www.turnpurple.org 

The Turn Purple Campaign is the nations' first campaign against child abuse and the resulting problem of youth homelessness. 

DON'T RUNAWAY - TELL SOMEONE YOU CAN TRUST

Though harder to spot, emotional abuse is easier to deny.  But just as physical and sexual abuse have signposts to mark their presence, emotional abuse, being a systematic attack on one's sense of self, has common traits.  Just as physical and sexual abuse come in degrees of severity, emotional abuse runs the gamut of intensity and damage.

Anyone who had the misfortune of being raised by a parent who is cruel, vicious, vindictive, calculating, manipulative, a liar, cheat, selfish or neglectful may benefit from reading some of my favorite books on the subject: 

Why is it Always About You?  The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism by Sandy Hotchkiss 

Emotional Blackmail:  When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation and Guilt to Manipulate You by Susan Forward 

Understanding the Borderline (Parent) Mother Helping Her Children Transcend the Intense, Unpredictable and Volatile Relationship by Christine Ann Lawson

Surviving a Borderline Parent:  How to Heal Your Childhood Wounds & Build Trust, Boundaries and Self-Esteem by Kimberlee Roth and Freda Friedman OR The Angry Heart:  Overcoming Borderline and Addictive Disorders by Joseph Santoro and Ronald Cohen

How to Journal for Therapy:

http://arar.essortment.com/therapyjournali_repu.htm 

If you tell your problem to someone that you can trust and still feel unhappy, unsafe, or uncomfortable, or if you don't trust anyone that you know, then you should CALL these numbers untill you speak with someone you can trust:

National Runaway Switchboard  1-800-RUNAWAY or 1-800-621-4000

Covenant House Nine Line 1-800-999-9999

Child HELP USA 1-800-4ACHILD

Stand Up for Kids 1-800-365-4KID

Volunteers of America  www.voa.org

If you are unhappy or uncomfortable with something in your life it is up to you to change your situation and tell someone that you can trust. 

Hope it helps!

May I add to that ,

The Kid's Help Phone ( Canada ) 1-800- 668- 6868

Just for any Canadian kids or adults here that need this information as well.

April 9, 2007, 7:50 am CDT

I am sorry for this whole family

I am sorry for this whole family. I pray that she and her husband did do a 180. To be that the angry at her children only can tell me that she has allot of pain built up inside. Maybe from what life has delt her in the past as a child or maybe as an adult. The step father does not seem none to angelic him self. He sounds as if he has alot of issues also. He can not tell me that he doesn't know what is going on and how bad it is. He as much as admitted he kicks the kids and he hit them with that stick. These children are innocent victims of their anger and the only thing that can come out of this is bad stuff. I hope and pray that these kids and all the kids in the world that are going through similar things get help. I feel this mom has made it look like "look at me, and all the pain and anger I have with no regard to the kids at all." She did not say once how much she loves them and wants them around or how much she could not live with out them. They are only her tool to get the attention right now. I was abused as a child and it is very painful. It doesn't teach you any thing except your parents are crazy and are terrorist in your own home. I have vowed to never hit my children. Yes they are punished sometimes by getting things taken away or grounded to their rooms but rarely do they do any thing to be punished for. Kids will do what they see and if you have misbehaving children then it is you as a parent who needs to spend more time with them and make it a good time and not an abusive time. Show them love and respect, not hatred and violence. You as a parent will get the same respect and love back in return. I pray for you to have peace and to give your children peace. They are beautiful children and a gift to you, and gifts we are supose to charish and take care of gently. God only let us borrow our children that we have and to mistreat them is hurting God. Also tell your husband/stepfather that Joseph in the bible was a step father and he did not abuse Jesus. All step parents should use his example as a stepparent toward their own step children. Other wise don't marry some one with children that are not yours.

April 11, 2007, 5:35 am CDT

I'd like to know what happened to...

...that mother with two daughters,  Victoria (unloved) and Hunter (mommy's little princess).

We get Dr. Phil shows AGES after they air in the United States, and I only saw that one today!

April 11, 2007, 6:46 pm CDT

Seeing Red

I didn't watch this show, I just now read up on what happened on the show. About 5 minutes into reading it when they started to take about the tape and what was being said and going on in that morning. I about turned RED with anger, I do have somewhat of a temper myself. For the most part I can keep it check, I seriously have a problem keeping it in check when it comes to children being harmed. I wasn't harmed as a child, I was raised with parents that were always fighting with each other. I felt it was so unhappy living like that, that I made my husband promise we will never fight in front of our son, if we are angry at each other we can go outside but not in front of the kids or where the children can hear it. I cant stand it when anyone is being harmed and they cant or dont know how to protective themselves against. I got angry at my sister for slapping her daughter one too many times (for stupid reasons and at that point no reason) I  thought I did very well in trying to keep my temper down, I told my sister "You hit my niece one more time in front of me or that I hear you hit her for no reason I'm going to hit you" that was the last time she did that, she new I was serious I cant stand around and do nothing while I see children being harmed. I do try and not to but in when a child has done something wrong and they are being punished for it, but I can stand around and just watch them get yelled at or slapped for no decent reason.

Like this mother in the show when it first air beat up her son, that made me sick and very angry. But what she isn't understanding is they are going to be adults and they are going to have all this built up rage of themselves, and they are going to turn it out on the world or onto themselves. Like the little one that bites himselves, that can easily be turned into self harm, I suffer from that for over 10 years now, I have cut myself up so bad I bleed through sweaters, I have scars that will never go away, all cause I don't know how to control my anger from being in a family that didn't know how to control there anger. I don't care if this woman got help, she shouldn't of ever been aloud to have children, she is a horrible mother a horrible person and she needs to learn what birth control is.

April 13, 2007, 6:22 am CDT

Angry Mom, Karen

This is to Karen. I know how you feel. Once my daughters started Highschool, they were so defiant that I would see nothing but red when they would not do what I told them to, not on the first time but after several times. My mother had a temper, she did not beat us all the time, but she would show her rage when I refused to do simple things. My daughters would argue, fight call each other's names. Chores was a chore to get done. At one point I actually started hating my oldest daughter. You are very blessed to have a social service that helped and not hindered. We have that problem here, they treat us like we are idiots, stupid dumb southern people and I am not from this State. I made the mistake of moving here, SC, from Il. Tmptrums, when my second daughter threww herself on the floor at a young age, I moved her to the middle of the room and told her to tell me when she was done, then I stepped around the corner and peeked in on her. She finally got tired of not getting the attention and quit. So I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. So unless you have walked in Karen's shoes, LEAVE HER ALONE!!!!!

April 13, 2007, 6:54 am CDT

Good for you, Karen! Great for those kids!!!

I am so happy to see that Karen has gotten the help she so desperately needed.  The two kiddos who were on the show looked so much happier.  :-)  I hope this family has a wonderful time in Disney World!  And, I hope things just keep getting better and better for this family. 

April 13, 2007, 6:56 am CDT

WOW

I didn't see the first half of these followups.  When I saw the 'before' mom I was like Holy S*&^ and I thought I was hard on my kids and lost my cool a lot. 

BIG KUDOS to the mom in this segment for getting help and pulling your family together!!!!!!

April 13, 2007, 7:29 am CDT

I Can't believe she got a Disney vacation

Although I love Dr. Phil and the show, I think he sent the wrong message by sending this Mom to Disney. For what? For being a loving mother like the rest of us. Ok, so everyone should go out and abuse their kids and then get an all expenses paid trip to Disney.  Why wasn't her reward just in doing the right thing? I'm still not convinced that she's totally cured. It's easy to walk the straight and narrow when the world and Dr. Phil is watching. Turn off the cameras and the lights and put her under some stress. Let's see what happens. Yes, she has made a turn around. But to be rewarded with a trip to Disney after all her foul deeds was disgusting. And why did the little boy say that "we all had a part in it".??? Who fed that kid that garbage. It sounded like some adult had told the kid that because he was the victim. Why was he saying that?

April 13, 2007, 7:34 am CDT

I'm so happy for you

Karen:  I am so happy for you and your family that things are so much better.  It takes a TON of courage to be on national television..I'm not sure there are many people who would have done that, that shows how much you truly love your kids.  The lady in the audience who seemed to have still questioned your character.....I hope you don't worry about what others think.  There are always going to be those who won't accept the fact that people can really change once they get help..there will always be those who can't forgive..that is their problem.  I wish you and your family the best.  I'm sure you have so much more peace now that you are getting help.  I really think people underestimate the effect that hormones play in women's lives.  I hope you are doing better in that area as well.  May God continue to bless you and your family. 

April 13, 2007, 7:38 am CDT

04/13 180-Degree Turn

Karen,

I too saw the show when it aired and I was very concered for your children. I am so proud of you that you were able to turn yourself around and help your family, Your children are beautiful and look so happy now.  I know what post partum depression can do to a women, and for you to get help took courage and determination. 

People who are still leaving messages that she doesn't deserve her children need to realize that many people who abuse their children don't come forward and ask for help and are able to turn things around. At least Karen was able to get help and is trying to and is making great awesome changes in her life and her childrens lives.  Good luck Karen . Don't give up , May God Bless you and your family.     Brandon and Shayla have a wonderful time in Disney World !!!!!!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last