Message Boards

Topic : 07/05 180-Degree Turn

Number of Replies: 381
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 06, 2007, 11:46:56 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 4/13/07) Dr. Phil follows up with the guests you’ve been dying to see again! The day Karen first appeared on the show, thousands of viewers wrote in with concern and anger over this mother of five who admitted to verbally and physically abusing her kids. Cameras in her home revealed alarming footage of Karen hitting her son, Brandon, while the other children watched. Eight months have passed since Dr. Phil stepped in to stop the abuse. How is this family now? Then, Earl and Regina were doling out thousands of dollars to their freeloading son, Derek. Dr. Phil sent in the Dr. Phil Mooch Squad, which sent Derek crawling out his bedroom window to escape! Now, the family returns, but one member is conspicuously absent. Find out where the moocher is now! Plus, Dr. Phil follows up on a cheapskate husband, a suburban scrooge and a chocoholic!

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 13, 2007, 7:46 am CDT

Give mom a chance

Quote From: tiffany_2007

I didn't watch this show, I just now read up on what happened on the show. About 5 minutes into reading it when they started to take about the tape and what was being said and going on in that morning. I about turned RED with anger, I do have somewhat of a temper myself. For the most part I can keep it check, I seriously have a problem keeping it in check when it comes to children being harmed. I wasn't harmed as a child, I was raised with parents that were always fighting with each other. I felt it was so unhappy living like that, that I made my husband promise we will never fight in front of our son, if we are angry at each other we can go outside but not in front of the kids or where the children can hear it. I cant stand it when anyone is being harmed and they cant or dont know how to protective themselves against. I got angry at my sister for slapping her daughter one too many times (for stupid reasons and at that point no reason) I  thought I did very well in trying to keep my temper down, I told my sister "You hit my niece one more time in front of me or that I hear you hit her for no reason I'm going to hit you" that was the last time she did that, she new I was serious I cant stand around and do nothing while I see children being harmed. I do try and not to but in when a child has done something wrong and they are being punished for it, but I can stand around and just watch them get yelled at or slapped for no decent reason.

Like this mother in the show when it first air beat up her son, that made me sick and very angry. But what she isn't understanding is they are going to be adults and they are going to have all this built up rage of themselves, and they are going to turn it out on the world or onto themselves. Like the little one that bites himselves, that can easily be turned into self harm, I suffer from that for over 10 years now, I have cut myself up so bad I bleed through sweaters, I have scars that will never go away, all cause I don't know how to control my anger from being in a family that didn't know how to control there anger. I don't care if this woman got help, she shouldn't of ever been aloud to have children, she is a horrible mother a horrible person and she needs to learn what birth control is.

Your right people who abuse their children are deplorable and should never be allowed to see the light of day. BUT, Karen is no longer an abuser she asked for help and has been working for the last 8 months to change her life and to get help because she realizes what she was doing was destroying her children. Many parents NEVER ask for help and they continue to beat their children. Instead of saying what a horrible parent she is when need to help her and encourage her to continue to get help and not to give up.  Ask yourself this: Would you rather Karen not have  come forward and went to the Dr. Phil show? Would you rather her be continuing to beat her children? If your answer is NO than we need to not judge Karen but help her and be grateful that at least there are four less children being abused in the world.

April 13, 2007, 9:24 am CDT

Thankful for Karen's Bravery!

I did not see the original show about this precious family, but I am so glad that I saw this show.  I was overwhelmed by the courage that it took for this woman to come forward for help.  She could have so easily continued in her behavior and hidden it from the world.  Instead she chose to go public with her situation, bravely facing the shame, so that she and her family could receive the help that they needed. Through her courage others are offered hope for their own situation as well. 

I am well aware that what she was doing was wrong.  She was well aware that she was wrong.  The angry comments against her do not help; they only illuminate the judgemental spirit of the person making them.   None of us should judge anyone as we all have things we aren't proud of in our lives.  Karen just bravely chose to not hide her secret any longer.   And thank God that with this intervention the cycle of abuse is broken.  These children can go on to live healthy and productive lives, and so can Karen.

How can those children trust again?  How can they heal?  Because they are all getting help.  IThey have hope.  You can see it in all of their faces!  f there is any message that comes through this story is that there is help available, so there is hope for healing the brokenness.   I wish that Dr. Phil would do a more in-depth show on why this happened to Karen and to others.  Karen mentioned Post-partum depression as a reason for her abusive behavior.  I would love to see a show that unpacks that and develops that further.

And I just wept with joy over the Disney trip.  What a wonderful gift to this family who has worked so hard to overcome.  What a blessing to them.  Those two older children are so precious.  They are testament to the fact that God can take evil and turn it to good.  They have such loving, forgiving spirits and such obvious maturity.   My prayers go out to this family for continued healing and for many years of joy and peace.

April 13, 2007, 9:32 am CDT

04/13 180-Degree Turn

Quote From: misstopaze

Although I love Dr. Phil and the show, I think he sent the wrong message by sending this Mom to Disney. For what? For being a loving mother like the rest of us. Ok, so everyone should go out and abuse their kids and then get an all expenses paid trip to Disney.  Why wasn't her reward just in doing the right thing? I'm still not convinced that she's totally cured. It's easy to walk the straight and narrow when the world and Dr. Phil is watching. Turn off the cameras and the lights and put her under some stress. Let's see what happens. Yes, she has made a turn around. But to be rewarded with a trip to Disney after all her foul deeds was disgusting. And why did the little boy say that "we all had a part in it".??? Who fed that kid that garbage. It sounded like some adult had told the kid that because he was the victim. Why was he saying that?
You know what? She did something brave and over came something difficult and so did her entire family. If she was still abusing her kids you'd have a point, as it is now this is just a very bitter message.

I hope you have faith in the people in  your life when they need it. This woman was never beyond help and I saw that, and she's proven it. It makes me sad that you don't believe her...based on what?

And again, she was rewarded with a trip NOT AFTER her "foul deeds"...but after her hard work and recovery. And it's not like she's going alone, she is going with her family.

April 13, 2007, 9:45 am CDT

04/13 180-Degree Turn

While for many of us, being a "good mom" comes very easy we have to understand that it doesn't come easy for everyone. Karen obviously didn't WANT to hurt her kids. She obviously didn't LIKE being the way she was. So she got help, turned it around and moved on. That is commendable and to condemn her is to make other women in her place fearful to even bother to change...I know that it would make a 180 degree turn heavier and more difficult if I knew people would still judge me and not give me credit for my changes.

April 13, 2007, 10:21 am CDT

Keep of the great work Karen

It is a kingly act to assist the fallen...Mother Teresa

Dr. Phil:  thank you for all you have done for Karen and her family.  The effects will echo for generations.

Karen:  Your courage and hard work gives credence to the amazing ability of the human spirit to transform.  Postpartum depression is real and the consequences if left untreated are severe to both mother and family.  I'm so glad you recieved the proper treatment.  Leave your pain and regret in the sweet embrace of Jesus. 

April 13, 2007, 10:33 am CDT

Question

Her diagnosis seems odd to me because she was able to behave appropriately when her husband was home but not when he was gone.  It seems like she had self control when she needed it, but choose to treat her children badly.  It may be that I don't understand the disease.

April 13, 2007, 10:40 am CDT

Wow!

Quote From: tiffany_2007

I didn't watch this show, I just now read up on what happened on the show. About 5 minutes into reading it when they started to take about the tape and what was being said and going on in that morning. I about turned RED with anger, I do have somewhat of a temper myself. For the most part I can keep it check, I seriously have a problem keeping it in check when it comes to children being harmed. I wasn't harmed as a child, I was raised with parents that were always fighting with each other. I felt it was so unhappy living like that, that I made my husband promise we will never fight in front of our son, if we are angry at each other we can go outside but not in front of the kids or where the children can hear it. I cant stand it when anyone is being harmed and they cant or dont know how to protective themselves against. I got angry at my sister for slapping her daughter one too many times (for stupid reasons and at that point no reason) I  thought I did very well in trying to keep my temper down, I told my sister "You hit my niece one more time in front of me or that I hear you hit her for no reason I'm going to hit you" that was the last time she did that, she new I was serious I cant stand around and do nothing while I see children being harmed. I do try and not to but in when a child has done something wrong and they are being punished for it, but I can stand around and just watch them get yelled at or slapped for no decent reason.

Like this mother in the show when it first air beat up her son, that made me sick and very angry. But what she isn't understanding is they are going to be adults and they are going to have all this built up rage of themselves, and they are going to turn it out on the world or onto themselves. Like the little one that bites himselves, that can easily be turned into self harm, I suffer from that for over 10 years now, I have cut myself up so bad I bleed through sweaters, I have scars that will never go away, all cause I don't know how to control my anger from being in a family that didn't know how to control there anger. I don't care if this woman got help, she shouldn't of ever been aloud to have children, she is a horrible mother a horrible person and she needs to learn what birth control is.

That is one incredible message.  This is the sort of message that dominated the board after the first show.  Talk about a time warp!  Don't you realize that all the things you're angry about are past?   When someone who was doing such a poor job of mothering has the courage to come on the show to start with, then takes all the heat she did from all of us, then has the guts and the where with all to actually get the message and change, we should all applaud her.  When she was wrong, we beat her up.  Now she's changed, so let's give her credit.  If you doubt it, look into the faces of her kids in the first show and then this one.  What a difference!  If we can't acknowledge those who change for the better, we are as bad as they were before.  Now we're abusing her. 

April 13, 2007, 11:03 am CDT

04/13 180-Degree Turn

Quote From: sixheinies

Her diagnosis seems odd to me because she was able to behave appropriately when her husband was home but not when he was gone.  It seems like she had self control when she needed it, but choose to treat her children badly.  It may be that I don't understand the disease.

For those wanting more information on Postpartum depression here are some websites:

Postpartum Support International www.postpartum.net

Postpartum Assistance for mothers www.postpartumdepressionhelp.com

Postpartum Dads www.postpartumdads.org

The online PPD Support Group www.ppdsupportpage.com

www.postpartumexperience.com

The Pacific Post Partum Support Society www.postpartum.org

The Ruth Craven Foundation, Inc., for Postpartum Depression Awareness www.ppdsupport.org

April 13, 2007, 11:16 am CDT

As I said

Quote From: penny_lady

You know what? She did something brave and over came something difficult and so did her entire family. If she was still abusing her kids you'd have a point, as it is now this is just a very bitter message.

I hope you have faith in the people in  your life when they need it. This woman was never beyond help and I saw that, and she's proven it. It makes me sad that you don't believe her...based on what?

And again, she was rewarded with a trip NOT AFTER her "foul deeds"...but after her hard work and recovery. And it's not like she's going alone, she is going with her family.

As I said, she did what every mother on this planet is supposed to do...treat her kids well. Just because she is now decent to her kids doesn't mean she deserves a trip to Disney. talk about naive. Do you think a trip to DIsney will cure her kids of their future dysfunction? If you think that this mother hasn't harmed her kids in the worst way than you've got your head in the sand.  She did what she had to do...if she hadn't she would have lost her kids, her marriage and maybe gone to jail. She's lucky she had Dr. Phil on her side.

April 13, 2007, 11:38 am CDT

04/13 180-Degree Turn

Quote From: misstopaze

As I said, she did what every mother on this planet is supposed to do...treat her kids well. Just because she is now decent to her kids doesn't mean she deserves a trip to Disney. talk about naive. Do you think a trip to DIsney will cure her kids of their future dysfunction? If you think that this mother hasn't harmed her kids in the worst way than you've got your head in the sand.  She did what she had to do...if she hadn't she would have lost her kids, her marriage and maybe gone to jail. She's lucky she had Dr. Phil on her side.
I agree with you that she did not deserve a trip to Disney.  The trip was a gift from Dr Phil and the wonderful thing about gifts is that you don't earn them....they are given out of a loving heart from one person to the next.  And although some might not agree,  Dr. Phil gets to spend his money how he wants, just like you and me.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last