Message Boards

Topic : 07/05 180-Degree Turn

Number of Replies: 381
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 06, 2007, 11:46:56 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 4/13/07) Dr. Phil follows up with the guests you’ve been dying to see again! The day Karen first appeared on the show, thousands of viewers wrote in with concern and anger over this mother of five who admitted to verbally and physically abusing her kids. Cameras in her home revealed alarming footage of Karen hitting her son, Brandon, while the other children watched. Eight months have passed since Dr. Phil stepped in to stop the abuse. How is this family now? Then, Earl and Regina were doling out thousands of dollars to their freeloading son, Derek. Dr. Phil sent in the Dr. Phil Mooch Squad, which sent Derek crawling out his bedroom window to escape! Now, the family returns, but one member is conspicuously absent. Find out where the moocher is now! Plus, Dr. Phil follows up on a cheapskate husband, a suburban scrooge and a chocoholic!

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 13, 2007, 11:49 am CDT

Come on give her a break, she's trying to do better!

Quote From: misstopaze

Although I love Dr. Phil and the show, I think he sent the wrong message by sending this Mom to Disney. For what? For being a loving mother like the rest of us. Ok, so everyone should go out and abuse their kids and then get an all expenses paid trip to Disney.  Why wasn't her reward just in doing the right thing? I'm still not convinced that she's totally cured. It's easy to walk the straight and narrow when the world and Dr. Phil is watching. Turn off the cameras and the lights and put her under some stress. Let's see what happens. Yes, she has made a turn around. But to be rewarded with a trip to Disney after all her foul deeds was disgusting. And why did the little boy say that "we all had a part in it".??? Who fed that kid that garbage. It sounded like some adult had told the kid that because he was the victim. Why was he saying that?
It's for the kids also. Thank God she's doing better. Look on the positive side of this for goodness sake!

April 13, 2007, 12:18 pm CDT

Mom Back In Control

Good for her.  I was there myself years ago and find my way out.  I'm hoping for the best for this family!  I was a little angry about the lady in the audience passing judgment on this mom.  How dare her!!  Let's take a close look at her day to day life and I'm sure she has lost it with people she loves.  We are all human and I applaud this mom for having the courage to get help!!

April 13, 2007, 12:26 pm CDT

Very PROUD of you Karen!!

Karen,

Congrat's on your progress so far.It takes alot of courage to relaize that there is a problem and do something about it.It shows that you have used everything Dr.Phil har given you to the best of your ability.I know you know its the just the beginning.Motherhood and depression is a hard mix.

Depression put's us in places sometimes were know one understand's unless they have been there.

I'm so happy Dr.Phil gave you sometime away to vacation and have FUN everyone needs that no matter what.The children also deserve to have fun.

Keep up the GREAT work.I'm very proud of your accomplishment's so far.

Feel free to e-mail if you need to chat.

Patty

April 13, 2007, 12:28 pm CDT

something not quite right

No,no,no. As a mother this is what my head and heart are telling me. I have literally just seen this woman on the show and feel so incensed that something is just not right.She may be getting help and trying but is it for her kids or herself?

How many cases have we seen where authorities are involved in a family but still something goes tragically wrong.Dr phil showed new footage of the family and at one point her son hugged her and she was holding his arms in an half hearted cuddle.The fathers lack of emotion on the initial show when he saw the violence was a good indicator of  his behaviour. Shame on those two people.God Bless those children.

April 13, 2007, 12:31 pm CDT

Good Work

I remember this show -- and I have never been able to get it out of my mind.  I'm relieved to know that this mom has faced herself and changed as a mother to these kids.  You can see the happiness on their faces - just as children should be.  They are SO loveable.  I think they deserve the trip - we all deserve to be acknowledged for our hard work.  And I think she knows that the world is watching her.

April 13, 2007, 12:37 pm CDT

I've been there.

Watching Dr Phil today has brought tears to my eyes.  I am the eldest among three siblings with a mom who gave birth to me at age 16.  I think it could be due to her angst, feeling "stuck" in her life with 3 kids when young.  So she took her anger on us, hitting us with stick similar to what we saw in the show.  There are times, my hands were tied to a door  while she hit on me.  I was one that looked after my 2 younger siblings while going to school at the same time.   I noticed my siblings and including I grew up with difficulties in expressing oursleves at one point or another. And now, my younger sister has few memory of childhood. I presume its her way of getting out of unpleasantness.  My brother has totally detached from us.  Its not been easy but it was a great struggle and learning that took many years for us to overcome. 

April 13, 2007, 12:37 pm CDT

Moocher

So i thought Derek was cute the first time around when he was on the show but now seeing the update I am offically attracted to him...my fathers a firefighter and would LOVE for me to date a firefighter as well...HOOK IT UP DR PHIL!!!!

April 13, 2007, 12:41 pm CDT

Give her a break

I was so saddened for Karen and her family when I first saw the show. Her post partum was so obvious because  I was there once too. I never physically raged on my kids as she did but I could see the out of control frustration that I lived with too. I know that her kids are the first priority and I am so glad that she is trying to get herself together. I do not think that she deserved the trip to Disney land but I do think her kids do. I was amazed that her husband took time off work , stayed home until help arrived and put their kids first .  I think this couple's dedication was shown when they involved social services. Many people would have let their pride get in the way but these 2 humbled themselves in an amazing way. I hope that karen will continue builiding her network of resources. I am truely upset with the vilifying of karen on this board and how she was let out to hang on her own  when that stranger put her own opinions of Karen on national TV. It is so easy to stand   in judgement when you are ignorant of what somenone else is dealing with.  Karen and her husband were wrong to put their children in that dangerous situation but no one should stand in judgement of them because  not everyone has walked a mile in their shoes. To stand up, reach out and create an environment of help is more productive. 

April 13, 2007, 12:50 pm CDT

Not sure she changed

I am replying with the most of you.  I am glad Karen says she has changed, but it is one thing to say you have changed and another to show it.  If she loved her children as much as the rest of us she would have never treated them they way she did.  i love my child very much and I am very thankful I have him, and I would never think of hitting my child or even screaming at him.

My other comment is about Derrick.  He was the moocher.  I am glad he decided to get off his broke bum and get a job.  I would like to know what city and state he is a firefighter in and if he is single.  Lord knows I am and I am looking for a good man.

April 13, 2007, 12:51 pm CDT

Karen and her turn around, and Derrick is he single?

I am replying with the most of you.  I am glad Karen says she has changed, but it is one thing to say you have changed and another to show it.  If she loved her children as much as the rest of us she would have never treated them they way she did.  i love my child very much and I am very thankful I have him, and I would never think of hitting my child or even screaming at him.

My other comment is about Derrick.  He was the moocher.  I am glad he decided to get off his broke bum and get a job.  I would like to know what city and state he is a firefighter in and if he is single.  Lord knows I am and I am looking for a good man.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last