Message Boards

Topic : 07/05 180-Degree Turn

Number of Replies: 381
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 06, 2007, 11:46:56 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 4/13/07) Dr. Phil follows up with the guests you’ve been dying to see again! The day Karen first appeared on the show, thousands of viewers wrote in with concern and anger over this mother of five who admitted to verbally and physically abusing her kids. Cameras in her home revealed alarming footage of Karen hitting her son, Brandon, while the other children watched. Eight months have passed since Dr. Phil stepped in to stop the abuse. How is this family now? Then, Earl and Regina were doling out thousands of dollars to their freeloading son, Derek. Dr. Phil sent in the Dr. Phil Mooch Squad, which sent Derek crawling out his bedroom window to escape! Now, the family returns, but one member is conspicuously absent. Find out where the moocher is now! Plus, Dr. Phil follows up on a cheapskate husband, a suburban scrooge and a chocoholic!

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 13, 2007, 12:56 pm CDT

Congratulations Karen!

I loved this show! Recognizing our faults and making the huge effort to change them is an awesome thing. I'm so glad Karen got her anger under control.

The whole family seems so close and loving now and the children have learned lessons they can use all their lives. i.e. Nothing is solved with violence. Our parents aren't perfect. We all make mistakes and we can all make improvements.

April 13, 2007, 1:03 pm CDT

04/13 180-Degree Turn

Quote From: misstopaze

As I said, she did what every mother on this planet is supposed to do...treat her kids well. Just because she is now decent to her kids doesn't mean she deserves a trip to Disney. talk about naive. Do you think a trip to DIsney will cure her kids of their future dysfunction? If you think that this mother hasn't harmed her kids in the worst way than you've got your head in the sand.  She did what she had to do...if she hadn't she would have lost her kids, her marriage and maybe gone to jail. She's lucky she had Dr. Phil on her side.
Who said that the trip to Disney was to cure anything? It's a family vacation. I take family vacations...they don't "cure" anything...it's just time together as a family.

Good for her for getting help. Good for her for doing well with it. Good for her that she has a more healthy family. It's a trip to Disney, not a Nobel peace prize....

April 13, 2007, 1:07 pm CDT

04/13 180-Degree Turn

Quote From: bdrury0001

I am replying with the most of you.  I am glad Karen says she has changed, but it is one thing to say you have changed and another to show it.  If she loved her children as much as the rest of us she would have never treated them they way she did.  i love my child very much and I am very thankful I have him, and I would never think of hitting my child or even screaming at him.

My other comment is about Derrick.  He was the moocher.  I am glad he decided to get off his broke bum and get a job.  I would like to know what city and state he is a firefighter in and if he is single.  Lord knows I am and I am looking for a good man.

I seriously want to understand something...do you not understand that people make mistakes? That parents are just human beings who are just vulnerable to illness, mistakes, stress and other problems as the rest of us?

Why don't you add to your list of "thankfulness" that you are healthy and never took your stress out on your kids.

I swear, this woman made a mistake, showed it on national TV for all to see and judge and made a complete turn around and she STILL has nasty comments made towards her.

April 13, 2007, 1:09 pm CDT

04/13 180-Degree Turn

Quote From: misstopaze

As I said, she did what every mother on this planet is supposed to do...treat her kids well. Just because she is now decent to her kids doesn't mean she deserves a trip to Disney. talk about naive. Do you think a trip to DIsney will cure her kids of their future dysfunction? If you think that this mother hasn't harmed her kids in the worst way than you've got your head in the sand.  She did what she had to do...if she hadn't she would have lost her kids, her marriage and maybe gone to jail. She's lucky she had Dr. Phil on her side.
I do not have my head in the sand, nor do I believe her kids have been hurt in the worst way. They've been hurt, badly, but there are WORSE things than having your abusive mother get help! I think that they will learn a lot from THAT.

Parents are human beings, no matter how much you don't want them to be.

April 13, 2007, 1:15 pm CDT

yeesh

Holy smokes people.  Speaking as someone who grew up with a mother like Karen -- but a mom who never had the courage to admit that she needed help and/or change -- I say the woman deserves some credit.  I also have clinical depression and know what it can do to your personality.  If she grew up in a home anything like the one she had been giving her kids, it's no frickin' wonder she behaved the same way.  My mom slapped us and kicked us occasionally and yelled and screamed and slammed doors.... but she had grown up neglected by an alcoholic mother in the house of a man who wasn't her father and who was regularly abusive.  Maybe she was abusive to us but she made a vast improvement over her own upbringing, and that deserves some credit.  And whatever the snarky message board woman on the show may or may not think, I don't see her being courageous enough to splay her dirty laundry all over national television for the sake of getting some help to change.  And who are all you people to decide whether or not Dr. Phil should give the family a trip to Disney World?  All you psychos out there yelling for the kids to get taken by welfare services -- do you think for a second that the kids wouldn't a million times rather have their own mother??  or that they wouldn't prefer a family trip to Disney World???  My goodness, whether or not Karen does or doesn't deserve the trip.... don't THE KIDS??  Oh my word!  Karen if you read this.... good for you honey!!  Because you've had the courage to do this you will have the relationship with your kids that my mom and I never will.  God bless you guys.

April 13, 2007, 1:16 pm CDT

04/13 180-Degree Turn

Quote From: bdrury0001

I am replying with the most of you.  I am glad Karen says she has changed, but it is one thing to say you have changed and another to show it.  If she loved her children as much as the rest of us she would have never treated them they way she did.  i love my child very much and I am very thankful I have him, and I would never think of hitting my child or even screaming at him.

My other comment is about Derrick.  He was the moocher.  I am glad he decided to get off his broke bum and get a job.  I would like to know what city and state he is a firefighter in and if he is single.  Lord knows I am and I am looking for a good man.

I just wanted to say one more thing...I think you are being very self righteous...you have no idea how much that woman does or does not love her children.

Do you think she's evil? You must because you seem to think she could fully control how she acted towards them and chose not to. I don't think she's evil. I think she was a very very very sadly messed up human being who had pretty much no relief and she did a very horrid thing to relieve that stress.

She got the tool, she got the help, she got it fixed.

Do you think that people who do that are beyond repair? Seems that you do.

April 13, 2007, 1:24 pm CDT

I Just Don't Get This

Quote From: penny_lady

I seriously want to understand something...do you not understand that people make mistakes? That parents are just human beings who are just vulnerable to illness, mistakes, stress and other problems as the rest of us?

Why don't you add to your list of "thankfulness" that you are healthy and never took your stress out on your kids.

I swear, this woman made a mistake, showed it on national TV for all to see and judge and made a complete turn around and she STILL has nasty comments made towards her.
Why are so many people still anxious to stone this woman?  She was parenting very badly.  She came on the show (exposing her failings to the world) and got help.  She worked at improving herself and succeeded.  What a terrible thing to do!  This does prove one thing for me, if i had ever doubted it.  This society loves to gang up on people.  We love to tell others what's wrong with them.  Then, if they work to be better, we discount that too.  What a vindictive bunch!

April 13, 2007, 1:25 pm CDT

feel sick to my stomache.....

I have only watched the first five minutes of this show and my stomache aches.  I can't even put my feelings into words other than to say that.  Nor can I imagine the absolute terror that those children had to have been feeling while that woman was ATTACKING them!!!!  I'M AFRAID OF HER!!!!!!  Take those children off of her so someone can start counseling them and help them work past the damage this woman has done BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE FOR THOSE KIDS!!!!  I have a hard time believing she's "reformed". Those children have to still worry daily,  I'm sure, about whether or not "Mommie's gonna snap" again.  Where's Child Services?? 

April 13, 2007, 1:26 pm CDT

Awesome job!

I missed the original show, but when I caught it today I was reminded of my childhood. My mother and father acted the way she did. I did not like them as people and looked outside the home for role models. My grandparents were awesome and they were my soft place to fall. I finally had a "come to Jesus" meeting with my Mother a year before she died, where we discussed how I wished to be treated (I could not do anything well enough, even though I was an "A" student and caused no trouble).

I am glad Karen was able to discover this behavior and it appears that her children have started to trust her. It will take time, but I am proud of the whole family.

April 13, 2007, 1:29 pm CDT

Thank God...

Although this may take some time, I fully believe that Karen can overcome her past violance.  It makes me happy  and relieved to know that she has recognized her behavior as wrong and harmful, as well as, doing what some people will never do...admitting to her own offense to herself, her family, and the world. 

Are the children getting counseling as well?  I sure hope so.  As I said in my response to the first airing of her story, I suffered having to watch my father beat my brother and listening to my brother's screams and cries knowing that I was too small to do anything while personally begging my own father to quit.  It still affects me to this day.  The children have been affected and will carry this into adulthood with them if help is not given.

Keep up the good work Karen.  As a mother of four, I know you can do it. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last