Message Boards

Topic : 07/05 180-Degree Turn

Number of Replies: 381
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 06, 2007, 11:46:56 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 4/13/07) Dr. Phil follows up with the guests you’ve been dying to see again! The day Karen first appeared on the show, thousands of viewers wrote in with concern and anger over this mother of five who admitted to verbally and physically abusing her kids. Cameras in her home revealed alarming footage of Karen hitting her son, Brandon, while the other children watched. Eight months have passed since Dr. Phil stepped in to stop the abuse. How is this family now? Then, Earl and Regina were doling out thousands of dollars to their freeloading son, Derek. Dr. Phil sent in the Dr. Phil Mooch Squad, which sent Derek crawling out his bedroom window to escape! Now, the family returns, but one member is conspicuously absent. Find out where the moocher is now! Plus, Dr. Phil follows up on a cheapskate husband, a suburban scrooge and a chocoholic!

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 6, 2007, 6:49 pm CDT

04/13 180-Degree Turn

I have been dying to see if that mother got her rage under control. I certainly hope so.

April 7, 2007, 5:52 am CDT

i've been thinking about those kids

I joined this board that day just to post a message,saying why was this a show..those children should have been yanked out of that house and placed with people who would love and protect them.I hope and pray if they are still there everyone got help and things have really changed.

April 7, 2007, 8:34 am CDT

KAREN & JIM!

Ah, yes.  As soon as I saw Karen's name in the write-up, THAT SHOW came flooding back to me.  Let me tell you how sickened, disturbed and outraged I was especially when I saw the footage.  Having seen that, I think Karen should thank her lucky stars that none of her children ended up severely (sp?) mentally retarded through potential shaking. (I don't even want to think about that, and it is my VERY correct opinion that you don't even spank a child of this condition, where the child's brai is so screwed up that (s)he can't even learn right from wrong - what could the child possibly learn?  But I digress.)

Swear to God, stuff like this makes me glad I'm not married with children (yet!)  For had this been my wife, she wouldn't know what hit HER!  And had she brought my child and me onto Maury or another one of those shows for wild kids to go to boot camp or jail (especially if said child were in the mentally retarded state I mentioned earlier,) I would be angrily removing my wedding band and throwing it in her lap ON NATIONAL TELEVISION, conducting a "search and rescue" for MY child, and requesting that the kid and I be put on a separate flight home, then I'd hope she has a damn good lawyer. (You bet we would be on separate teams!) I'm so glad that neither Karen nor Jim went that far, but I don't know.

As I reflect back on this, I'm glad that Karen was not on the same high horse she was on when she was beating those kids.  "I think they're horsing around."  "They don't walk fast enough."  "They don't learn quick enough."  "It's their fault."  Sorry, but those EXCUSES are not nearly good enough.  As for Jim's disciplining by kicking them with a steel-toed boot, I was equally bothered.  He claims that he was kicked around his whole childhood and says in his defense, "I got kicked in the butt. I turned out, I think, to be a fairly good person." The words, "I think," "fairly good," and I also remember the hesistation he had in his voice when he said this - that tells me a whole different story, that he didn't really turn out as well as he says.  If he were really trying to defend his actions, he say something like, "Because of me getting kicked around a lot, I'm now a really good friend and charitable person, donating money to many worthy causes.  I have a brilliant, flourishing career in one of the top fields with a high salary, and I'm a wonderful husband and father, and I have good relationships with the parents and relatives who beat me.  Yes, Dr. Phil, I learned well and it made a man out of me."  With sheer confidence, I might add.  (Of course, we may also crirticize him for his arrogance!  LOL)

Had I been a social worker or law profesional in the town or county they lived in, I would make darn sure that Jim and Karen never saw their children until they reached the age of majority.  I know that if I'd been taken from my parents for verbal and physical abuse, that would be the deal-breaker for me, and no way would I ever trust them again.  I'm hoping that JIm and Karen had smartened up since their appearance, but when it comes to things like this I'm a believer in the old saying that a leopard can't change his spots.  Call me a cynic here, but..... 

April 7, 2007, 9:15 am CDT

Hoping for the best..................................

I have been waiting for this show for months.  Brandon's pleading voice resonated in my head for days after the first show.  What a nightmare!  I can't imagine how those children felt in that house.  No one to be their advocates.  I am hoping for the best for this family.   Looking forward to seeing and hearing some positive changes.

April 7, 2007, 9:35 am CDT

DONT RUNAWAY - TELL SOMEONE YOU CAN TRUST

In America there is a common misconception that children runaway from home because they are societal delinquents who want to be free of authority. The media depicts homeless and street kids as "rebels without a cause", as children who have no regard for society, who have no dreams and no aspirations for life but to get high.  

We know this portrayal of homeless and street kids to be false. In fact we know that 90% of children who run away have encountered mental, physical, emotional, and/ or sexual abuse. No child wants to live on the streets. No child wants to have to beg, steal, sell drugs, and/ or themselves just to survive.

More than half of the children on the streets are still under the age of 15.  Unable to legally work, these kids get involved in criminal activity just to survive.  Based on current estimates, there are more than one and a half million children, teenagers and young adults trying to survive on the U.S. streets today.  Children now make up 27 percent of the fastest growing segment of the U.S. homeless population.

For more info:  www.turnpurple.org 

The Turn Purple Campaign is the nations' first campaign against child abuse and the resulting problem of youth homelessness. 

DON'T RUNAWAY - TELL SOMEONE YOU CAN TRUST

Though harder to spot, emotional abuse is easier to deny.  But just as physical and sexual abuse have signposts to mark their presence, emotional abuse, being a systematic attack on one's sense of self, has common traits.  Just as physical and sexual abuse come in degrees of severity, emotional abuse runs the gamut of intensity and damage.

Anyone who had the misfortune of being raised by a parent who is cruel, vicious, vindictive, calculating, manipulative, a liar, cheat, selfish or neglectful may benefit from reading some of my favorite books on the subject: 

Why is it Always About You?  The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism by Sandy Hotchkiss 

Emotional Blackmail:  When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation and Guilt to Manipulate You by Susan Forward 

Understanding the Borderline (Parent) Mother Helping Her Children Transcend the Intense, Unpredictable and Volatile Relationship by Christine Ann Lawson

Surviving a Borderline Parent:  How to Heal Your Childhood Wounds & Build Trust, Boundaries and Self-Esteem by Kimberlee Roth and Freda Friedman OR The Angry Heart:  Overcoming Borderline and Addictive Disorders by Joseph Santoro and Ronald Cohen

How to Journal for Therapy:

http://arar.essortment.com/therapyjournali_repu.htm 

If you tell your problem to someone that you can trust and still feel unhappy, unsafe, or uncomfortable, or if you don't trust anyone that you know, then you should CALL these numbers untill you speak with someone you can trust:

National Runaway Switchboard  1-800-RUNAWAY or 1-800-621-4000

Covenant House Nine Line 1-800-999-9999

Child HELP USA 1-800-4ACHILD

Stand Up for Kids 1-800-365-4KID

Volunteers of America  www.voa.org

If you are unhappy or uncomfortable with something in your life it is up to you to change your situation and tell someone that you can trust. 

Hope it helps!

April 7, 2007, 12:02 pm CDT

Hope she has gotten help..........

My husband and I watched that show and we just couldn't believe what that woman was doing to her kids...........I hope the hell she has gotten some help with her out of control rage/anger issues by now or I hope someone has taken those kids away from her!!!  I felt so sorry for Brandon, she had NO right to hit him and call him names like that ........and then the poor kid had to go to school after that!  I could not get that show out of my mind for quite a while.........I am the mother of 4 kids and it is not easy at times but you don't treat your kids like that, that is just plain WRONG!!!!!  I hope when I watch the show that she has changed.............The question that sticks in my mind is:  If/when she gets (got) help, how does she go about convincing the kids that she has changed, that she does love them, and that she is glad that she had them when she has already told them time and time again that she hates them?  Are the kids going to believe her and ever trust her?

April 7, 2007, 5:01 pm CDT

I'm glad to see a follow-up.

I am so hopeful that Karen got a handle on her problems. It was hard to watch that show because I so wanted to comfort those kids.

April 7, 2007, 6:29 pm CDT

abusiveness to kids

Quote From: wendiej

My husband and I watched that show and we just couldn't believe what that woman was doing to her kids...........I hope the hell she has gotten some help with her out of control rage/anger issues by now or I hope someone has taken those kids away from her!!!  I felt so sorry for Brandon, she had NO right to hit him and call him names like that ........and then the poor kid had to go to school after that!  I could not get that show out of my mind for quite a while.........I am the mother of 4 kids and it is not easy at times but you don't treat your kids like that, that is just plain WRONG!!!!!  I hope when I watch the show that she has changed.............The question that sticks in my mind is:  If/when she gets (got) help, how does she go about convincing the kids that she has changed, that she does love them, and that she is glad that she had them when she has already told them time and time again that she hates them?  Are the kids going to believe her and ever trust her?

this, so called mother, should have her childrent taken away from her.  just have supervised visitation rights.  and she needs to take anger management classes!

April 8, 2007, 1:59 pm CDT

04/13 180-Degree Turn

I have been dying for months to see what happened to this mother.  I hope she has made some positive changes for the sake of her kids.

April 8, 2007, 7:35 pm CDT

04/13 180-Degree Turn

I really hope that Mom improved things as well as the Dad (yes she was the one screaming like a Banshee on tape, but he admitted to the stick, and kicking them with a steel toed boot )  bot of them had some very serious issues of their own to work out, and the children I hate to say should've been removed UNTIL the ADULTS were under control, that's just my humble opinion, but that little boy , Brandon needed a safe haven, as did the others because when her main focus was taken, she would turn her "Motherly attention" to one of the others.

The Moocher, well I hope he did alright as well, and his parents stopped enabling him to live that way.  Many of those Moochers just needed that kick in the behind to get them out to work and becoming contributing members of society, and parents have to LET GO when their kids become ADULTS, I thought the idea was to raise them to eventually become INDEPENDANT of us ?  Not support them until they are thirty ( I am aware there are people who for either physical, mental reasons cannot, I am speaking of the healthy, intelligent people who are just too lazy to get out on their own ).

I do remember the Choclaholic, she was funny and sweet (no pun here ) and as someone who ADORES chocolate, I could relate to her.  Did she get help for her addiction I wonder ? Oh well if she relapsed there's worse things to be addicted to.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last