Message Boards

Topic : 08/20 The Dr. Phil House: Saving Grace, Part 2

Number of Replies: 723
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 13, 2007, 03:09:57 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/16/07) Dr. Phil continues his work with a family torn apart by a 6-year-old girl’s secret: she was molested by her grandfather, and her grandmother failed to report it. Cat and Todd have cut off all contact with Todd’s parents, Steve and Anne, and haven’t seen them since they learned the horrifying truth from their daughter, Grace, over two years ago. Steve has served time for the assault and is now a registered sex offender with a protective order keeping him away from Grace until she’s 18. After secretly watching Dr. Phil’s interview with Steve and Anne, and learning the details of what really took place, will Todd and Cat ever feel comfortable with letting Grace’s grandmother back in her life? Dr. Phil sits down with both couples as they confront each other for the first time face to face. Then, Dr. Phil addresses Cat and Todd’s marriage, which has started to crumble under the stress. How can they get back on track for the sake of their daughter? Next, Grace wants to ask Dr. Phil some questions. See what this brave little girl wants other kids to know. Plus, Dr. Phil has an update on this family one month later. How are they now? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 15, 2007, 1:19 pm CDT

Please help this little girl

I think first off we need to know if this grandfather molested HIS child because this can not be the first time this sick perverted man has done this.  I believe that this man and his wife no matter how much time he has served already it was not enough.  He and his wife should still be in prison with the same thing that he done that little girl being done to them over and over again.  I completely agree with the parents not ever seeing them again. God please help this little girl and the world and society that has destroyed her.  She is certainly in my prayers

April 15, 2007, 2:40 pm CDT

Saving Grace

As I watched this story and listened to how Grace feels eyes upon her, I still feel those eyes. The eyes of a person that is not worth the flesh on their own body. I am a 37 year old mother of 2 sons, I don't think I could have been able to parent a little girl in a "normal" way. I have lived my life always wondering why I think the way I do, or why I am overerly sensitive to certain people or situations. I have to accept everyday that I am still that little girl  and that get snagged in the child molesters net. He is dead now, I only wish that I would of had such as strong mother as Grace does! God Bless you for looking out for your daughter and to Dr Phil for letting the world see the infancy of this type of life and how everyone can notice the signs. 

April 15, 2007, 3:36 pm CDT

they should be charge

Quote From: reigle4

My (at the time) 2 1/2 year old granddaughter (very smart for her age)  told me that her daddy had stuck his penis (she referred to it as his ukky belly button at the time) in her mouth and we reported it to the authorities but they said they could not do anything because if they charged him and it went to court that he would have the right to question her and she would not be able to stand up to him.  She is now 3 1/2 and in counseling and showing signs of all the damage that this has done to her. 

After the police questioned him and he of course denied what happened, he never had anything more to do with her (thank God)  I guess his knowing that she would tell made him not interested in her anymore.  But he has another female child 1 year younger that his mother is taking care of because he and his girlfriend were more interested in  drugs than parenting.  His mother is his greatest enabler because she believes her son does no wrong.  And until we found out what had happened, had allowed him to be alone with my granddaughter.  We no longer allow her visits with my granddaughter either because we can't trust her.

My question is how can this be proved in court.  I know my granddaughter will tell and has told her counselor but I am not sure how she would react if he was around because she is terrified of him and every so often, just out of the blue, even at daycare, announces that she hates her daddy and wants him in jail.  He does not desrve to be able to get away with this with her or any other child he may do thist to.  He needs the label in society that he deserves.  She will have to live with this in her head the rest of her life and even though she is in counseling for it, it never goes away for long.  Why should he or any molester be able to live freely while their victims live with a life sentence of this.  I AM SO FRUSTRATED about this.  It is affecting our whole family unit. (her mother, myself and my husband) 

I don't know where you are living but I live in Canada.  My daughter at 3 was molested by a babysitter and they would have charged him. I took it to my dr first and had her examined and then we dealt with appointments with social service and the police was not brought in because at the time I had the choice and I decided to help her deal with it and not put her threw the court battle.   Sometimes I do wish I had made a different choice but most time I realize I did the right thing.  She will be sixteen next month and is a very well adjested teenager.  We have a very close relationship and still discuss what happened.  What made it worst is she became friends with a girl in Grade 9 that happened to be this idiots stepdaughter and she moved away but they still keep in touch and she found out it happened to her by him to.  she charged him and he plead guilty and he got 30 days!!!! that sickens me but atleast he has a record now.  It does end up being their word against the molester.  that is what is really hard.  But you have to do what  is best for the child in the long run.  Good luck

April 15, 2007, 4:05 pm CDT

Saving Grace

I was furious when I watched the show and saw that Grandmother holding hands with that piece of ****!!!! She will never protect Grace she seemed to think it was alright or normal. I think the 'Devil made him do it' before, I think you should question Todd about his childhood. Grace will never forget that first encounter as long as she lives, I never did. My stepfather started  on me at age 6 and my mother never did anything just like that Grandmother. Dr. Phil I hope you aren't going to suggest therapy and getting back with those Grandparents. They should shut the door and never look back. These guys are so clever they are rarely caught at it I am so glad Grace spoke up. My episodes were in the 20's and 30's when there was no one to talk to and my mother ignored the whole thing

April 15, 2007, 4:17 pm CDT

Saving Grace

There are so many sick sob's out there and unfortunately, we look to make sure that "outsiders" don't hurt our children, however, these people tend to be the people who we are supposed to be able to trust, a person we should be able to look up to.  When that trust has been breached, forget it, our whole life is shattered and you can't trust anybody from then on.  How can you trust somebody when you couldn't trust your own family.

From someone who knows, nightmares to come, major depression, disorders, medications to get through the day, medication to sleep and get through the night, what a way to live, post traumatric stress disorder, eatting disorder, suicidal thoughts, fear, panick - life will never be the same. 

May God walk wth you Grace and thank God for Dr. Phil, who will help you through.  If this were 20, 30 years ago, you'd be where I am.

April 15, 2007, 4:32 pm CDT

These Are Some Horrible Statistics--

This is just ONE message board, and the number of posters who refer to their own abuse, or that of a family member, is alarming and upsetting!

I feel for all of you!

I commend those that have had such an awful thing happen, yet persevered....

I had a wonderful childhood, and great parents.

What is happening, and has obviously BEEN happening, to children everywhere for years & years & years is absolutely sick and unacceptable!!

How on earth can this long time epidemic be stopped?!? How can all children be protected, and those who havent been be healed?

Im feeling very worried & concerned right now....Dr Phil is close to sainthood, but he cant possibly help everyone....   :(    One step at a time, I guess...

Good luck and take pride in yourselves, all the survivors....

April 15, 2007, 5:57 pm CDT

04/16 The Dr. Phil House: Saving Grace, Part 2

Grandpa is a sick pig.  Any therapy he's had was obviously wasted on him.  In my view, Grandma is a monster.  Keeping her mouth shut is unforgivable.  She's proven she can't be trusted.  Neither should be allowed within a mile of Grace.  Grace should be told they are dead.

I was nauseated looking at the two of them sitting next to one another.  How could that woman stay with such a pig and sleep in the same bed. prepare his food, etc.  They deserve each other and they should stay the hell out of everyones life. They still have no idea what they have done to that poor child's future.

A NOTE TO THE PARENTS:   PLEASE DON'T ALLOW THOSE PEOPLE ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR CHILD AGAIN.

April 15, 2007, 6:08 pm CDT

A sickness so Deep

This couple that has been so clearly told that what they've done,  is wrong,  yet they act like they are the victims-- are truly sick!!   I can not believe that they are that much in denial!!  Surely they have more feelings toward their son's child than they express. This couple are not Grandparents they are granpeople.  They have no true connection with this child other than blood.  This baby girl is forever changed by  what this monster did!!  I know because I was molested by a person who said He loved me,  and only last year did these feelings of re-dealing with it,  came back because my moma died!  I believe in forgiveness but forgetting is not that easy!  This little girl will question who she is ,  she will have relationship problems,  and will be a different kind of mother because someone she loves did something to her that he had No business doing!!  I believe that through prayer and talking about her experience this child will not be his victim.  I just hope Dr. Phil can get these two sick people to realize that they are sick!!

April 15, 2007, 7:28 pm CDT

04/16 The Dr. Phil House: Saving Grace, Part 2

I applaud loudly and with deep heart felt joy, Cat’s efforts and victory , in protecting Grace.   I have cried every evening since I saw the show.

I am 43.   At age 6, I too was being molested by my grandfather. (My mom’s dad.)  Had  been molested for as long as I can remember back to around age 2. My fathers parents ended up going to court when I was 6 to get custody of me and my two sisters. (My parents had deserted us.)  The day of court, they left me and my sisters with my moms dad. The molester. (Mind you, the whole family knew he had molested me.) And on the day my dad’s mom got custody of me, she came home from court, asking I if my grandfather had molested me. When I denied it, she demanded to look at me, “down there”. Noting I was red, she told me she was taking me to the police station, to be “finger printed.” I CAN’T WRITE THAT WITHOUT DYING A LITTLE MORE IN SIDE.   I asked to take a bath first.  Tried to scrub the fingerprints off.

Now , my grandmother is 81.  She lives with me in a wheelchair paralyzed on one side. I wash her , I take her to the bathroom, I give her her medications.  I have never forgiven her. 7 yrs she has lived with me.  I love her, just can’t make peace with this. Sitting in my 200,000 dollar home, still stuck in my trailer trash past.

I am a nurse.  R.N.  I raised 3 kids, youngest one 17, first one finished with college, second one almost done with college, and the 3rd one, a Jr. in high school.  I protected the 3  kids. None molested by anyone. I make a lot of money, have a high positon job wise.  Am so pained inside, like a hand always gripping and pulling at my guts.

I am an alcoholic, evening drinking, killing myself over time. I wonder, had my mom been Cat, how would of it been different?  Thank you Cat.  Every Grace deserves a savior.

April 15, 2007, 10:05 pm CDT

Very Disturbing

When I watched the 1st episode of Saving Grace, I was overcome by a mixture of emotions. It brought back so many memories from my childhood. The similarities in what the grandfather said was chilling. My grandfather molested me for 5 years. That is by far the worst thing that anyone can do to a child, steal their innocence. Although, what he did was absolutely inexcusable, unforgivable, and utterly disgusting. The Grandmother is what really set me off! The fact that she could sit there and hold his hand while hearing him explain what he did to that little girl horrified me. What kind of person is she? How can she sleep at night? Not well I hope. And for her to be upset because her son and daughter-in-law pressed charges, and sit there and ask how could they do this to us? EXCUSE ME!!!! How could you do that to your granddaughter? She is forever scarred and will ALWAYS carry this with her. Every time she sees and older man she will think of what happened to her. If she happens to be in an elevator and an older man gets on, she will get off because he could be a sick-o too! My grandfather got 5-15 years in prison, and is now lying in a veterans cemetery like he is some kind of hero. The only comfort this family can have is knowing that his true judgment day is coming!!!!!!!!

If I could say one thing to the parents of Grace, it would be to follow your instincts. You are right not to let them back around Grace. The Grandmother is just as bad for withholding the information she had, and for standing by his side. You see where her loyalty is, obviously not with the real victim, but the monster. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last