Message Boards

Topic : 08/20 The Dr. Phil House: Saving Grace, Part 2

Number of Replies: 723
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 13, 2007, 03:09:57 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/16/07) Dr. Phil continues his work with a family torn apart by a 6-year-old girl’s secret: she was molested by her grandfather, and her grandmother failed to report it. Cat and Todd have cut off all contact with Todd’s parents, Steve and Anne, and haven’t seen them since they learned the horrifying truth from their daughter, Grace, over two years ago. Steve has served time for the assault and is now a registered sex offender with a protective order keeping him away from Grace until she’s 18. After secretly watching Dr. Phil’s interview with Steve and Anne, and learning the details of what really took place, will Todd and Cat ever feel comfortable with letting Grace’s grandmother back in her life? Dr. Phil sits down with both couples as they confront each other for the first time face to face. Then, Dr. Phil addresses Cat and Todd’s marriage, which has started to crumble under the stress. How can they get back on track for the sake of their daughter? Next, Grace wants to ask Dr. Phil some questions. See what this brave little girl wants other kids to know. Plus, Dr. Phil has an update on this family one month later. How are they now? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 14, 2007, 1:55 pm CDT

Was the son ever molested by his dad?

Was I the only one who thought about this?  I don't knw about anyone else, but the mother & son did not really looked surprised to me at all that the grandfather was molesting the grand daughter.  That was a sick feeling I got inside but after listening to the son & how he cried for his dad & not his own daughter & then hearing the grandmother & seeing her face as if she already knew...it just made me wonder if they had molested their own son??  What a sick story.  It is truly sad to me & made no sense at all that the grandmother would still stand by her husband after he did such a disgusting thing!!!  Sick sick sick!!  I would NEVER EVER trust my baby around her grandparents, I'm sorry but I would just write them off.  I would not risk my daughter's life that way, ever, I don't care how much counseling they took or how much regret they said they had.  Just looking at their faces they looked as if everything was alright?  God bless them all....especially that lil girl.

April 14, 2007, 2:20 pm CDT

Bothered

I am just worried about Grace and what it would do to her to see the monster who stole her innocence. Isn't it enough that we have to protect our kids from strangers and psychos and other kids ( cuz we all know kids can be cruel) Now we have to protect our children from their own family!! What is the world coming to? No I don't think the grandparents have a right to see Grace nor do I think they deserve the priviledge to see that precious little girl. If I were her parents I would not let them see her and it wouldn't be me trying to be mean or anything but They have to protect their daughter. And no one is going to protect her but them because her grandparents have already failed to protect her and her grandfather is a sick son of a b***h! I know that is harsh but he deserves it considerating he thought taking her innocence away was like giving her candy. I can feel the steam coming from my ears while I am typing. What was he thinking? They don't deserve to see her again and they lost every right when they and I say they because her grandmother is just as guilty, stole her innocence. 

April 14, 2007, 3:39 pm CDT

The Damage Is Done! And, you want more?

The reason Mummsy didn't report the abuse that was ruining your child is because she's so needy herself and so fearful of losing your creepy father-in-law that she'd rather do anything than be alone.  They're both a couple of sick losers.  Don't load your daughter up with nonsensical terms anchored in guilt by even remotely suggesting that she has any obligations at all toward either of them.  Life's not always fair.  If she gets along for 18 years without these two bums in her life, she'll get along without them for another 18 and another and another.  Don't you dare let either of them near your child again, ever.  And when she's old enough to make her own assessments of this situation be sure that by that time you have instilled enough high self-esteem in her, that she will be able to, without a shred of regret or remorse, cull them from her life forever.  Neither one of you need to subscribe to the philosophy of 'Peace At Any Price.'  And if Todd baby can't tolerate your decision, cut him loose too.

April 14, 2007, 3:59 pm CDT

Sad.Sad.Sad.

I read this and was horrified.

I haven't seen the episode, but reading about it is enough. I live in Australia, so we might not get it for a few weeks.
I was 5 when I was molested by my brother, and around the same age I was molested by "uncle" a friend that came to the house that stayed with us while dad was away working. Mom never found out, but Dad knew about it and never did anything.
As much as the grandma would probably like to see her granddaughter, I don't think it should be allowed. I have a daughter, and if the same thing happened in my circumstances, I would feel disgusted knowing that it was unreported.
Just hearing about this episode brought back old feelings of shame, and anger.

I do hope that the parents will not allow the grandmother to have access to the child.

April 14, 2007, 4:53 pm CDT

The protecter need the same punishment

When my daughter told me what her father, my husband, had been doing to her I was numb.  I had no idea.  I still found the ability to save her.  With in 3 hours of her telling me, I questioned him, and he told me that she was telling the truth.  I told him I wanted him dead and he said "no problem" and sat down next to me at the kitchen table and shot himself.  He died on the way to the hospital.  I do not think there is any excuse for ANY adult not to protect a child.  If an adult protects the abuser then they should also be tried as an accomplice and have the same punishment.  Why not make them register as a sex offender?  True they did not do the crime however they made it possible for it to happen again, and it will happen again. 

I have the blessing of knowing that I was able to save not only my children but any grandchildren. 

April 14, 2007, 5:21 pm CDT

Do Not let him be wth her again

I was abused by a family member when I was 7 or 8 until i was 12.  I finally got help about 40 years later, and worked through it.  Unfortunetly the abuser approached me again last year.  I was 59, he is 61..they never change, don't let him near her at all please, until like you said perhaps when she is 18.  But if your mil wants to visit, fine she can do so on her own, supervised, so no talk of grandpa comes up..this upsets me terribly and when her mom said he "took away her innocence forever" it broke my heart because I know how that feels.  Thank you for letting me vent, but please in your wisdom make sure they never, ever let her see him again..

April 14, 2007, 5:32 pm CDT

I ask you WHY..... WHY.....???????

PLEASE....... For the LOVE of LIFE........ TELL ME- WHY isn't the GRANDMOTHER CHARGED with an accomplice to her Lil' Grace's RAPE........??? THIS IS SICK AND SHE(grandmother) to, should be charged and spend time in jail reconsidering WHY she thnks she needed to play GOD. SHE(grandmother) is a very SICK person to protect her husband and not her granddaughter. The SOB should be castrated & left to bleed to death.

WHAT IS THE SAYING? One an ALCOHOLIC ALWAYS AN ALCOHOLIC.... Same goes for this. ONCE A RAPEST ( MOLESTER) ALWAYS A RAPEST. He may go through the time BUT I SPEAK FROM EXPERIANCE....... YOU NEVER HEAL FROM BEING VIOLATED... PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

As far as I am concerned, he has probably done this in the past and never goteen caught. SICK-SICK man. I can hardly beleive thatneither of them are still in jail, let alone PRISON........ let some man 4  or 5 times his size have his way with him and let's see if he feel the same way ......... And his comment...... I didn't know that it wasn't ok...... WHAT A CROCK. I would be ashamed to have him on your stage.

Thw Wright Family.

April 14, 2007, 5:45 pm CDT

Mom is saving Grace

April 14, 2007, 5:48 pm CDT

Kudos to Mom for believing and protecting Grace

April 14, 2007, 5:50 pm CDT

Kudos to Mom

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last