Message Boards

Topic : 07/19 Identity Theft

Number of Replies: 99
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 13, 2007, 03:11:19 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/17) Having a stranger steal from you is bad enough, but what happens when your own flesh and blood does it? Ricky and Ray say their brother, Robin, has been stealing their identities for years. Robin has used his older sibling’s ID to open lines of credit, rent a mobile home, and he even attempted to buy a Harley! Worst of all, they say Robin used their names when he was arrested, causing warrants to be issued for them. The problem is so out of control that Ricky’s fiancée, Robyn, is worried about taking his last name after the wedding, for fear of being mistaken for Robin. The brothers want to confront their younger sibling but haven't been able to locate him. With Dr. Phil's help, the confrontation finally takes place. This is a showdown you don’t want to miss! Plus, identity theft can happen anywhere … even at your job. Dr. Phil wants to see just how easily this fraud occurs, so staff members do a little snooping around the Dr. Phil offices at night to see what personal information they can find. You won’t believe what they dig up! Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 17, 2007, 7:37 am CDT

Here is the REAL problem

Quote From: joannviola

In 1971, my sister stole my driver's license, Social Security card and birth certificate and proceeded to rack up criminal records in almost all of the lower 48 states.  She wrecked my credit and got me in trouble with the IRS-- AND MY PARENTS KNEW ABOUT IT.  I could not figure out what was going on and it went on for about eight years until she got arrested in my hometown for prostitution and there was an article in the local newpaper.  AGAIN-- my parents knew about it!

I was totally humiliated-- it was one of my college professors who pulled me aside, gave me the article and said "I know this was not you."

My family does not talk about such things.  She is the family darling-- she has a "rich and successful husband" and all my cousins think she is so glamorous with her bleached hair, her blue contact lenses and her knock-off designer clothing and bags.  Let's not talk about her methadone habit or the nasty way she treats people.

I am still watching my back.  This witch is still around and telling relatives that she and her husband are financially supporting my return to school, when the truth is that I saved my money to go back for a fourth degree.

I do not speak to this woman unless I have to-- she exists, but she is NOT my sister any longer.

Mommies and Daddies who try to excuse this behavior only hurt the offender.  If it isn't nipped in the bud with the original disciplinarians, it just gets worse.  The entitlement felt by the criminal is outrageous.  My husband's father is now struggling in his retirement years to support he and his wife because his mom continually begged him when he was younger to bail his little brother out of jail, pay his brother's debts, look the other way when dear brother "borrowed" his identity and ruined his good name.  My father-in-law withdrew his retirement again and again because he was afraid his mother would kill herself worrying about dear little brother.  Well, dear little brother ended up getting himself killed in a high-speed accident (which probably spared my father-in-law from eating cat food now because he got a good ten years in to save some money without having to shell it out for his little worthless brother.)  I hate to be hateful here, but I watch them struggle and deny themselves medical treatment because that "family love" ruined their lives.

If you've got a family member doing this to you, don't pamper them and make it go away.  THROW THEIR MISERABLE BUTTS IN JAIL!  They need to learn their lesson!  Put credit blocks on your accounts and bust them if they try to take your identity!  You are doing them no favors by making their little indiscretions "disappear".

April 17, 2007, 9:43 am CDT

That Is Sad

Quote From: lycantrapoid

To answer your question is rather diffucult, cause that is the same question we have asked for years. how did he get away with it. Surely they have checked finger prints or even photos to prove it wasn't his proper ID, but they didn't. He has pulled it off so many times that it is as if he is us. Not until this last incident has it really come to a head. THey main reason he isn't in jail is because once he is release on bond by using our names, he never goes back to court. This is how he avoids arrest. It is my brother and I that are subject to arrest if we are stopped for any reason.

I cannot imagine how hard this must be for you.  Having siblings as well, I can only guess at the outrage and sense of betrayal you must feel.  I hope you can find a way to stop this.  Perhaps if, at some time when he is arrested, you and your other brother were aware of it, you could let the DA's office know of the problem.  I'll bet if they knew it, he'd either get no bond or be forced to prove to the court who he was before they'd bond him out.  I really wish you the best in dealing with this.

April 17, 2007, 9:46 am CDT

I'm Not Too Bright

Quote From: housewife52

What he's doing is illegal. He should be incarcerated. I've been using a shredder for quite a while myself. Also it's good to have a credit check once a year. We have found other names on OUR credit report that are not suppossed to be there.
I thought my wife had an interesting phobia because she has always shredded things.  How stupid was I?  Hey, at least I married intelligence!

April 17, 2007, 10:19 am CDT

Victim

My 81 year old neighbor was a victim of identity theft two years ago. The person who committed the crime has yet to be caught; however, it had to have been a family member due both the ease and location of the transactions and the "records" and reputations of quite a few of her family members. She, though. doesn't want to believe that a family member victimized her. It's that denial that will cause her to be a victim (again) in the future.

Identity theft is a huge, growing crime. The courts need to prosecute and judges need to give SEVERE sentences. That will be the only deterrant to this growing crime. Additionally, police depts need to spend more resources on going after the perps in these theft crimes. And we citizens need to be much more careful on how we handle our business and personal information.

April 17, 2007, 10:29 am CDT

Forgiveness is a gift to give yourself

Quote From: joannviola

In 1971, my sister stole my driver's license, Social Security card and birth certificate and proceeded to rack up criminal records in almost all of the lower 48 states.  She wrecked my credit and got me in trouble with the IRS-- AND MY PARENTS KNEW ABOUT IT.  I could not figure out what was going on and it went on for about eight years until she got arrested in my hometown for prostitution and there was an article in the local newpaper.  AGAIN-- my parents knew about it!

I was totally humiliated-- it was one of my college professors who pulled me aside, gave me the article and said "I know this was not you."

My family does not talk about such things.  She is the family darling-- she has a "rich and successful husband" and all my cousins think she is so glamorous with her bleached hair, her blue contact lenses and her knock-off designer clothing and bags.  Let's not talk about her methadone habit or the nasty way she treats people.

I am still watching my back.  This witch is still around and telling relatives that she and her husband are financially supporting my return to school, when the truth is that I saved my money to go back for a fourth degree.

I do not speak to this woman unless I have to-- she exists, but she is NOT my sister any longer.

I know this is difficult to hear since you are clearly a victim in all of this, but I wish you would learn to forgive and pity this woman. Think about how deeply miserable she really is. She's not happy. Happy people don't live the way she lives. Forgiving is not saying what happened is acceptable. It's not about being a wimp. It's about losing the anger that controls your life. In essense, it's about taking your power BACK from your sister and your parents.

Move forward with your life. I dumped the big brick (of anger and resentment) against my father four years ago. He died this year, without ever having apologized to me. However, he died with me by my side and I have no anger to live with forever. I am free! He was a flawed human as we all are (some of us to more of a degree, as I suppose is your sister's case). If I hadn't forgiven my father, he would still have power and control over me for years to come. He would still be negatively affecting my life and those in it. He would be taking up my time with negative energy. I refused to live that way. I learned to forgive and move forward. It's the GIFT I gave myself!

Good luck to you. I feel your pain. I also pity your sister; she has a sad existance. Your parents also have made huge mistake, but probably out of misguided love and the human need to preserve the almighty family name (AKA ego).

God bless you all. I would LOVE to see you find the peace it took me over 3 DECADES to find. Life is wonderful now. Never forget the old saying, "What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger." I bet you're one tough cookie who will make many people proud!!!

April 17, 2007, 10:33 am CDT

Get a letter!

Quote From: lycantrapoid

To answer your question is rather diffucult, cause that is the same question we have asked for years. how did he get away with it. Surely they have checked finger prints or even photos to prove it wasn't his proper ID, but they didn't. He has pulled it off so many times that it is as if he is us. Not until this last incident has it really come to a head. THey main reason he isn't in jail is because once he is release on bond by using our names, he never goes back to court. This is how he avoids arrest. It is my brother and I that are subject to arrest if we are stopped for any reason.

You need to contact your local state/district atty and ask what can be done. Down here, a notarized letter will be issued to you (not sure if it's by the state atty or the local police...hence, the need for you to make a call first). You carry the letter with you at all times (fold it up and place it in your wallet, etc). If ever stopped by police, the letter can be displayed and you'll be fine.

I know of someone who had to do this (I am a former felony parole officer). This man's twin brother (who used his twin's name in crime) kept committing crimes and the innocent brother kept getting arrested...until he had the letter in his possession. Luckily, a few birth marks and scars were mentioned in the letter so police could check to see that the correct man was carrying the letter.

Good luck to you. I feel your pain, even though I have been fortunate not to have had to deal with this crime personally.

April 17, 2007, 10:36 am CDT

PLEASE DO MORE

Quote From: queen_barbara

It hurts, my child took a gas credit card out of my wallet and in 17 days ran it up to $700.00 and more buying lunch,gas drink etc...for her friends. And ran my phone bill up to around $3000.00. what do you do when it's your kid. I was living on a very tight budget and  thought I was going to go crazy. I cried, went to the church for advice and prayed alot. IT HURTS if you can not trust your family who can you trust.

I would do one of two things if s/he were my child:

1) Mandatory couseling and a signed plan to pay back the money in a certain period of time

or

2) Notification of law enforcement.

I would NOT be an enabler. If you are one, you are teaching your child that what s/he did was acceptable. You are also setting him/her up for failure because s/he will do it again (that's what always happens when there's no punishment or motivation to reform). You have a duty to educate your child appropriately and make him/her be accountable.

Good luck to you. Prayer is a beautiful thing, but it's not enough here. God bless!

April 17, 2007, 10:37 am CDT

04/17 Identity Theft

My sister stole my identity in similar way. She had utilities turned on in my name. My identity was easy for her to steal, because my social security number is exactly alike except for one number. I applaud the courage of these two brothers to press charges. I am not strong enough .....yet.

April 17, 2007, 11:30 am CDT

My mother stole my identity

Several years ago my mother used my social security number and maiden name to purchase $3000 worth of furniture, get a telephone and opened a credit card account.  I was shocked when a collection agency called me.  Since I live several states away it was a nightmare to clear my name.  The credit companies said I had to file a police report to get it off my credit.  The police told me they didn't want to deal with it because it was a domestic situation.  In addition, I had to prove to the credit card companies that I did not live at the address she used by providing bank statements, rental agreements and utility bills at a different address.  After some time I felt I finally had it cleared up, but every year or so the credit card/collection companies sell their deliquent accounts for pennies on the dollar.  So, when a new company purchased the deliquent bill they came after me again.  I had to prove to them all over again that I was not responsible.  It has been a very frustrating situation.  Needless to say I did not speak to my mother for 10 years.  I only recently started speaking to her again superficially.  If I knew then what I know now I would have pursued her for identity theift.  Instead of dealing with the local rural authorities I would have contacted the state attorney and pursued it to the fullest extent of the law.

She has also done the same to my siblings who will not file a report or confront her.

April 17, 2007, 12:47 pm CDT

he said he's sorry

yes he's right he is a sorry a** lier.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last