Message Boards

Topic : 07/19 Identity Theft

Number of Replies: 99
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 13, 2007, 03:11:19 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/17) Having a stranger steal from you is bad enough, but what happens when your own flesh and blood does it? Ricky and Ray say their brother, Robin, has been stealing their identities for years. Robin has used his older sibling’s ID to open lines of credit, rent a mobile home, and he even attempted to buy a Harley! Worst of all, they say Robin used their names when he was arrested, causing warrants to be issued for them. The problem is so out of control that Ricky’s fiancée, Robyn, is worried about taking his last name after the wedding, for fear of being mistaken for Robin. The brothers want to confront their younger sibling but haven't been able to locate him. With Dr. Phil's help, the confrontation finally takes place. This is a showdown you don’t want to miss! Plus, identity theft can happen anywhere … even at your job. Dr. Phil wants to see just how easily this fraud occurs, so staff members do a little snooping around the Dr. Phil offices at night to see what personal information they can find. You won’t believe what they dig up! Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 17, 2007, 1:42 pm CDT

baby brother

Many times the baby of the family thinks they can do or have anything. In my family my brother was that way.  He however didn't usually steal from us, it was more up front, a loan you knew he would not pay. He did steal a bike and a diamond ring, so I started giving him money again so he wouldn't steal.  He was the baby tho and never was violence a problem. In my case my brother told me he could never grow up, unless I let him, by making him stand on his own. He died at the age of 24. Now I am glad I was able to help him while he was here.  It is sad, but I imagine there won't be any tears of love at Robins funeral. He is cheating his whole family. Robin shame on you. I pray you get yourself right with God. Because there is not a good enough woman in the world to help you with the changes you need to make. And sir it is hard to believe you only steal from one brother. You have time still, to make things right, but you will have to put your wants on hold and put your debts to your brothers first.

April 17, 2007, 1:47 pm CDT

How many people believe him, I wonder?

I have my own theory that most people are pretty darn savvy and don't believe ONE word that comes out of this guy's mouth! This guy has some complicated stuff going on in his head. It's a good thing that Dr. Phil is the one sitting there. He's NOT going to pull the wool over his eyes!

April 17, 2007, 1:58 pm CDT

My mother did this to me

I  have had to deal with this since I was 18 years old. I found out that my mother was using my social security nimber as well as my name to open checking accounts and other accounts which she bounced all checks and racked up over 50000 in charges before I was even 18. Then when I turned 18 and went to get a checknig account I found out about this and they put all the bounced checks and charge cards on my credit. Then after my attempt to get an account the police showed up at my home to arrest me for bounced checks in three different states. I later found out my mother had done this. After getting her parole officer involved i foudn out that she filed my taxes for three years adn cashed the checks which got her federal charges. Her home bills were all in my name and I could not even get loans for school. SHe went to prision for 12 years for my charges as well as two other people that are pressing charges against her for stealing thier idenity. It has taken 5 years to get most of the charges off, but the ones where I was over 18 are getting harder to prove. She even has a mortgage payment in my name. I dont even know where the house it. I hope that these men take charge and put him in jail where he belongs. If it was a friend or a stranger, they would not hesitate. You have to teach him a lesson. that is my thoughts on the subject.

April 17, 2007, 2:02 pm CDT

my husbands brother stole his idenity

This is crazy that people are this stupid...My husbands brother was in some legal trouble and decided he would rather skip out of town and move to Alaska. He had told only a few friends that later informed us of his where abouts. He just left the day he was to show up in court. A year had passed and my husband heard a rumor that his brother was pulled over in Alaska and used his social security #  to get out of trouble. He had no I.D. or license on him and preceeded to tell the cop he was visiting and left his license in the state he was from. The cop took his word for it and took him to jail for D.U.I.  My husband got online and looked up offences in Alaska under his name and sure enough there was charges against my husband. He went through alot of trouble and spent alot of time trying to clear his name. 

His brother eventually got in trouble again in Alaska and he served a month in jail for the D.U.I. and fraud charges. My husband has not spoke with him since  the day before he skipped town and he has no desire to. The ironic part of it all is because he had minor charges here and would have served very little time if any. How stupid are some people...............................

I CANNOT BELIEVE HE DID NOT SERVE MORE TIME THAN HE DID.......................

April 17, 2007, 2:28 pm CDT

04/17 Identity Theft

Quote From: lycantrapoid

To answer your question is rather diffucult, cause that is the same question we have asked for years. how did he get away with it. Surely they have checked finger prints or even photos to prove it wasn't his proper ID, but they didn't. He has pulled it off so many times that it is as if he is us. Not until this last incident has it really come to a head. THey main reason he isn't in jail is because once he is release on bond by using our names, he never goes back to court. This is how he avoids arrest. It is my brother and I that are subject to arrest if we are stopped for any reason.

You Trumped yourself this time

April 17, 2007, 2:45 pm CDT

YES PUT HIM IN JAIL!!!

I allowed myself to be gulled, cullied, and bullied into NOT pressing charges against the 'per that stole MY credit Identity.

Because of this, the person was Free to strike again.

I'm telling you, as someone who has been through this before ...  Put the SOB in JAIL!

April 17, 2007, 2:57 pm CDT

Theft

The brother, Robin should be put in jail for what he has done to his brothers. Why should they pay for his screwwups. I feel sorry for them, it is bad enough for strangers to do that to you, but to have your own brother to screw you around is real bad. And I agree with someone else's comment Robin is a testament for not doing drugs, he looks a lot older than his brothers.

April 17, 2007, 3:06 pm CDT

identity theft

I think the Dr. was out on this one. This guy is an addict. He will lie and say what you want to hear. He will make empty promises.He is an addict and definitely needs help or he may never stop unless he is also charged and convicted for what he has done.

April 17, 2007, 3:08 pm CDT

Prosecution will mean Treatment!

The brother obviously has a drug and alcohol problem. Just his physical features alone speak volumes as to the abuse he's suffered at the hands of himself.

I am curious as to why he possesses so much anger toward one brother and not to the other brother. I bet the family dynamics were interesting long before there was any identity theft.

These brothers have no option but to prosecute their brother. Perhaps a court sentence will get this guy the treatment he so desperately needs (but doesn't want).

As for girlfriend Robyn. Until this is cleared up, you would be foolish to take the brother's legal last name. You would be creating problems for yourself. I kept my own last name for the first 5 years of our great marriage (we've been married 18.5 years now). Although I love that we and our kids all share the same last name, when I didn't have hubby's last name I still loved him (and vice versa) just as much!

Good luck to this family. Thank you, Dr. Phil, for paying for the attys it will take to clear up this legal mess. And may God touch the younger brother whose life is in the gutter......has to be for him to violate his own family members the way he has!

April 17, 2007, 3:12 pm CDT

No shredders for Christmas :)

Quote From: flrat69

I thought my wife had an interesting phobia because she has always shredded things.  How stupid was I?  Hey, at least I married intelligence!

Just don't go overboard with appreciation and buy your wife a bigger and better shredder for Christmas!!!  I still haven't let handsome, sweet hubby live down the first dating gift he ever gave me after we were first engaged....a metal card table with no chairs!

When his mother learned that he was buying me a metal gum ball machine (one month later) for Christmas, she stepped in and took him shopping!!! I ended up with the gum ball machine and my favorite....an antique, handcut, crystal wine glass set!

As the saying goes, 'Mother Knows Best." Also might want to consider the tried and true one..."When Mama (the wife) ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last