Message Boards

Topic : 07/19 Identity Theft

Number of Replies: 99
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 13, 2007, 03:11:19 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/17) Having a stranger steal from you is bad enough, but what happens when your own flesh and blood does it? Ricky and Ray say their brother, Robin, has been stealing their identities for years. Robin has used his older sibling’s ID to open lines of credit, rent a mobile home, and he even attempted to buy a Harley! Worst of all, they say Robin used their names when he was arrested, causing warrants to be issued for them. The problem is so out of control that Ricky’s fiancée, Robyn, is worried about taking his last name after the wedding, for fear of being mistaken for Robin. The brothers want to confront their younger sibling but haven't been able to locate him. With Dr. Phil's help, the confrontation finally takes place. This is a showdown you don’t want to miss! Plus, identity theft can happen anywhere … even at your job. Dr. Phil wants to see just how easily this fraud occurs, so staff members do a little snooping around the Dr. Phil offices at night to see what personal information they can find. You won’t believe what they dig up! Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 17, 2007, 3:17 pm CDT

It's easy to keep from getting arrested!

Quote From: housewife52

What he's doing is illegal. He should be incarcerated. I've been using a shredder for quite a while myself. Also it's good to have a credit check once a year. We have found other names on OUR credit report that are not suppossed to be there.

It's difficult to get arrested when you've used another person's name! It's also difficult to get arrested when you don't show for court and when you move around often.

As a felony parole officer (past), I can tell you that criminals (even those who have already been caught and tried) move around OFTEN. They are unsettled. Many are also busy looking for more victims...women who will take them in and pay for them, women with children to molest, men who will support them financially, etc. This requires them to move often to meet their own selfish (and often criminal) needs.

April 17, 2007, 3:25 pm CDT

help me to understand

Quote From: sharonblcl

yes he's right he is a sorry a** lier.
Ido not get it how they let people like him get away with little jail time and a probation and a little restitution. I would prosecut him and anyone who does this to the full extent of the law i just don't understand maybe i missed something or i'am just dum as hell someone tell me what's going on and how do you get help if this happen to you or me for that matter.

April 17, 2007, 3:29 pm CDT

Wow

I HAD to watch this show!  As a victim of identity theft I knew exactly how the brothers felt.  I, too, was victimized by someone I knew.  She was my roommate and "friend".  We met in the rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous.  We became friends and eventually she moved into my apartment.  Prior to moving in, she confided in me that she had done something terrible in her past (identity theft) and wanted me to know and that if I didn't want her to move in she'd understand.  I gave her the benefit of the doubt for being "honest" and decided she needed a second chance.  She took out two loans and a credit card in my name and racked up a combined total of $15,000 of debt.  She has since been jailed on separate charges stemming from bad checks written on her own checking account.   She still denies any involvement in what she did to me and my credit, despite being charged with theft of my identity.  What's more, she's convinced a friend in the program that I set her up, and this person has harrassed me on at least one occasion.  It's sick.  She's a sociopath and does not belong on the streets.  She has warrants out for her arrest in multiple states, and uses the rooms of AA to con and manipulate people.

April 17, 2007, 3:48 pm CDT

Put Him Away

I see absolutely no reason whatsoever why the two brothers (Ricky & Ray) do not see fit to have their brother (Robin) put in the slammer, asap.  He's living proof what alcohol and drugs can do to a person.  He has no regard for family or loved ones when it comes to getting what he wants, and as long as he's on the sauce (or whatever) he'll keep doing it.  I didn't believe a single word of what he said, & doubt seriously he can be rehabilitated.  I would imagine most of the stuff he's done he has no memory of......he doesn't even have a memory anymore.

And Robin says he's found a "good woman" now & can be trusted!!  Tell me, what "good woman" would latch on to this loser? 

April 17, 2007, 4:01 pm CDT

On the flip side

Quote From: flthomcat

The brother obviously has a drug and alcohol problem. Just his physical features alone speak volumes as to the abuse he's suffered at the hands of himself.

I am curious as to why he possesses so much anger toward one brother and not to the other brother. I bet the family dynamics were interesting long before there was any identity theft.

These brothers have no option but to prosecute their brother. Perhaps a court sentence will get this guy the treatment he so desperately needs (but doesn't want).

As for girlfriend Robyn. Until this is cleared up, you would be foolish to take the brother's legal last name. You would be creating problems for yourself. I kept my own last name for the first 5 years of our great marriage (we've been married 18.5 years now). Although I love that we and our kids all share the same last name, when I didn't have hubby's last name I still loved him (and vice versa) just as much!

Good luck to this family. Thank you, Dr. Phil, for paying for the attys it will take to clear up this legal mess. And may God touch the younger brother whose life is in the gutter......has to be for him to violate his own family members the way he has!

Almost every show Dr. Phil does is about families exposing their dysfuncitions in an effort to heal from the inside.  Granted, these are grown men, but I couldn't miss the fact that there was a ton of unhealed pain between these brothers.  Robin's actions cannot be justified, but I can't help be wonder what would have happened had Ricky and Ray wrapped their arms around him decades ago and tried to address the very obvious wounds this family has suffered.

April 17, 2007, 4:03 pm CDT

Victim of Identity Theft by Husband

I am in the process of trying to divorce a man who during the 6 1/2 years of our marriage opened 12 credit cards in various forms of my name.  The current charges are $130,000.00.  I found out about the debts two years ago and have been attempting to have him take responsibility for them and have my name and credit cleared.  I finally filed a law suit against him but he has everything he owns in other people's names - a major business and property worth well over a Million dollars; four more buildings; a trailer park, two lots on a major reservoir in this area; and two homes.  Right now I am in the fight of my life.  I am retired, 63 years old and living on a pension of $1,500 a month.  The credit card companies are threatening to place a lien on my home (which I owned before we married), my investments and my retirement.  He on the other hand is pretending to be broke with no money and no way of paying for these debts.  Women - beware. 

April 17, 2007, 4:20 pm CDT

When the Grifter is Your Mom

My mother, or the "ruthless criminal sociopath" as I now call her, pulled the same kind of crap on me in my late teens, circa 1986. When I turned 18 I got my very first credit card, a Zellers store card with a $500 limit. I'd used it just once in 3 months to purchase a $10 T-shirt, then my mother asked to borrow it to buy some $30 curtains. I signed and dated a hand written note to explain to the cashier that the person presenting the card had my permission to use it for this one and only purchase. I was pretty naive and trusting, and I thought everything would be OK. Then, 3 weeks later, I got a $1,600 credit card bill in the mail. Apparently, my mother had found it so easy to slap my card down for the curtains that she decided to go on a spending spree, forging my name for numerous purchases (i.e. clothes, shoes, a blender, an iron, a toaster, gifts for her boyfriend). The folks at Zellers didn't seem to notice or care that the card had skyrocketed well past its limit in a matter of days, and didn't contact me about the abnormal shopping blitz on an otherwise restrained record of shopping purchases. As soon as I got the bill I demanded my card back from my mother and told her she had to pay it off. She just laughed at me and told me that if I was stupid enough to trust her then my "punishment" would be to pay it off myself, before the credit bureau destroyed my otherwise flawless credit rating. I called Zellers and they told me that the only way to erase the debt would be to register a formal complaint that the card had been stolen, meaning the police would arrest my mother for fraud, identity theft, forgery etc.. Despite what she'd done, I loved my mother, and she already had a record as a convicted child predator (long story) so, reporting her would have irreparably torn my family apart. So, I had to quit college and take on two other part-time jobs (3 in total) to pay it off as quickly as possible, before my credit was ruined. Again, gullible and trusting as I was, I gave my mother about $200 per month in cash to go down to Zellers once a month and pay down the bill. I thought that would be better than sending a cheque in the mail -- I didn't even have a chequing account at the time. Then, about 8 months later, I got an angry phone call from the Zellers credit office asking why I'd only given them $200 of the now $1,800 I owed them (interest, services fees). I was absolutely stunned -- and horrified -- that I'd been duped once again by my mother who, by the way, started laughing when she overheard me on the phone with the person from the credit office as I tried to explain the situation.

I've known all my life that my mother was a skilled grifter, con-artist and shoplifter, but never in a million years did I ever think she'd make me one of her most profitable "marks". I moved out of the house a few weeks after I got that last call from the Zellers credit office and I've only spoken to my mother maybe five times since about 1989. Frankly, I wish she was dead.

KJC

April 17, 2007, 5:25 pm CDT

brother with the same "M O

Same thing has happend in our family. In his teens this brother accessed my husbands (his younger brothers) birth certificate (their mother was aware) and it has been down hill ever since. He too has a l o n g history with drug and alcohol abuse and I'll go further and say that his mother is his enabler. She'll do anything for this particular son becuase she feels he "needs" her. Her other children are successful but have this brother haunting them every step of the way - threatening their lives too from time to time, depending on what he's addicted to.

Its a mess - we never know what he's up to until we get a phone call from the local poice department about an automobile accident he was involved in - from time to time we've had calls from insurance companies. He even has his mail sent to his brothers address - as it is the only address he can remember so we know when he's in jail or in the hospital etc.  After a good 30 years of this abuse, my husband and his siblings have written him off - they do not acknowledge him. Mother tries to push everyone together - especially during holidays but we will have no more of it because he's ruined so much for us in the past. We feel its high time that we lead our lives - as honestly and as normal as possible.

April 17, 2007, 6:07 pm CDT

You mentioned identity theft insurance

Quote From: lycantrapoid

To answer your question is rather diffucult, cause that is the same question we have asked for years. how did he get away with it. Surely they have checked finger prints or even photos to prove it wasn't his proper ID, but they didn't. He has pulled it off so many times that it is as if he is us. Not until this last incident has it really come to a head. THey main reason he isn't in jail is because once he is release on bond by using our names, he never goes back to court. This is how he avoids arrest. It is my brother and I that are subject to arrest if we are stopped for any reason.

I believe it was Ray who said that he had purchased identity theft insurance.  My daughter and son-in-law had their checking account, credit cards and even the retirement that is matched by his employer completely whipped out 2 weeks ago.  I have always thought no one would bother with us, we don't have a lot of money in our accounts.  My daughter has VERY little and this has really devastated them emotionally and financially.  So, I have been looking into identity theft insurance, although I don't know of anyone who has ever had or used it.  Is it worth the money?  Does it really help?  How can I find the best insurance? Anyone who has used it, how are you financially now?  Is identity theft insurance anther money scam? Any information I can get would be greatly appreciated.

April 17, 2007, 6:47 pm CDT

04/17 Identity Theft

Quote From: flthomcat

The brother obviously has a drug and alcohol problem. Just his physical features alone speak volumes as to the abuse he's suffered at the hands of himself.

I am curious as to why he possesses so much anger toward one brother and not to the other brother. I bet the family dynamics were interesting long before there was any identity theft.

These brothers have no option but to prosecute their brother. Perhaps a court sentence will get this guy the treatment he so desperately needs (but doesn't want).

As for girlfriend Robyn. Until this is cleared up, you would be foolish to take the brother's legal last name. You would be creating problems for yourself. I kept my own last name for the first 5 years of our great marriage (we've been married 18.5 years now). Although I love that we and our kids all share the same last name, when I didn't have hubby's last name I still loved him (and vice versa) just as much!

Good luck to this family. Thank you, Dr. Phil, for paying for the attys it will take to clear up this legal mess. And may God touch the younger brother whose life is in the gutter......has to be for him to violate his own family members the way he has!

I agree that what Robin needs is to be prosecuted for the wrong he has done to his family with the identity theft and hopefully this will lead to some treatment for him to deal with his addictions and help him to get on a different path for the rest of his life. It is sad to see someone so low.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last