Message Boards

Topic : 07/19 Identity Theft

Number of Replies: 99
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 13, 2007, 03:11:19 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/17) Having a stranger steal from you is bad enough, but what happens when your own flesh and blood does it? Ricky and Ray say their brother, Robin, has been stealing their identities for years. Robin has used his older sibling’s ID to open lines of credit, rent a mobile home, and he even attempted to buy a Harley! Worst of all, they say Robin used their names when he was arrested, causing warrants to be issued for them. The problem is so out of control that Ricky’s fiancée, Robyn, is worried about taking his last name after the wedding, for fear of being mistaken for Robin. The brothers want to confront their younger sibling but haven't been able to locate him. With Dr. Phil's help, the confrontation finally takes place. This is a showdown you don’t want to miss! Plus, identity theft can happen anywhere … even at your job. Dr. Phil wants to see just how easily this fraud occurs, so staff members do a little snooping around the Dr. Phil offices at night to see what personal information they can find. You won’t believe what they dig up! Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 14, 2007, 7:48 am CDT

WITHOUT CONSCIENCE - RECOGNIZING THE REMORSELESS

How do we recognize the remorseless? One of their chief characteristics is a kind of glow or charisma that makes sociopaths more charming or interesting than the other people around them.  They’re more spontaneous, more intense, more complex or even sexier than everyone else, making them tricky to identify and leaving us easily seduced.  Some of favorite books which provide a great introduction and insight on the subject: 

Without Conscience:  The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Amoung Us by Robert Hare

Emotional Blackmail:  When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation and Guilt to Manipulate You by Susan Forward AND Why is it Always About You?:  The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism by Sandy Hotchkiss

Treating Personality Disorders in Children and Adolescents:  A Relational Approach by Efrain Bleiberg

Fundamentally, sociopaths are different because they cannot love. Sociopaths learn at an early age to show fake emotion, but underneath they are indifferent to others’ suffering.  They live to dominate and thrive for the thrill to win.  We all almost certainly know at least one or more sociopaths already.

Hope it helps! 

April 14, 2007, 9:58 am CDT

Why is brother Robin not in jail?

What he's doing is illegal. He should be incarcerated. I've been using a shredder for quite a while myself. Also it's good to have a credit check once a year. We have found other names on OUR credit report that are not suppossed to be there.

April 14, 2007, 2:29 pm CDT

04/17 Identity Theft

IDENITY THEFT IS NOT NEW. 60 YEARS AGO A CO-WORKER WAS LEAVING TO MOVE TO CALIFORNIA.  BEFORE SHE MOVED SHE OPENED A CHARGE ACCOUNT AT A VERY EXPENSIVE DEPT. STORE, USING MY NAME AND ANOTHER CO-WORKERS ADDRESS.  SHE MOVED AND ABOUT 3 MONTHS LATER MY SURERVISOR CALLED ME INTO HER OFFICE TO ASK ME WHY I DID NOT PAY MY BILL WITH THIS COMPANY.

WE HAD NO CLUE THAT SHE HAD DONE THIS AND IT TOOK ALMOST 1 YEAR TO CLEAR MY NAME AND CREDIT.

April 14, 2007, 5:48 pm CDT

Hurt

It hurts, my child took a gas credit card out of my wallet and in 17 days ran it up to $700.00 and more buying lunch,gas drink etc...for her friends. And ran my phone bill up to around $3000.00. what do you do when it's your kid. I was living on a very tight budget and  thought I was going to go crazy. I cried, went to the church for advice and prayed alot. IT HURTS if you can not trust your family who can you trust.

April 14, 2007, 5:55 pm CDT

IDENTITY THEFT - HOW TO REPORT FRAUD CRIMES

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is very committed to investigating internet, telephone, mail crime and fraud.  The FTC works for the consumer to prevent criminal, fraudulent, deceptive and unfair, business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers report, spot, stop, and avoid them.

The following link to the FTC website, you'll find publications with advice on avoiding scams and rip-offs, as well as tips on other consumer topics and reporting consumer fraud.

www.ftc.gov/ftc/consumer.htm 

To file a complaint or to get free information on consumer issues, visit www.ftc.gov or call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357); TTY: 1-866-653-4261.

The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, identity theft, and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad.

Hope it helps!

April 14, 2007, 6:37 pm CDT

Mommy & Daddy said it was okay

In 1971, my sister stole my driver's license, Social Security card and birth certificate and proceeded to rack up criminal records in almost all of the lower 48 states.  She wrecked my credit and got me in trouble with the IRS-- AND MY PARENTS KNEW ABOUT IT.  I could not figure out what was going on and it went on for about eight years until she got arrested in my hometown for prostitution and there was an article in the local newpaper.  AGAIN-- my parents knew about it!

I was totally humiliated-- it was one of my college professors who pulled me aside, gave me the article and said "I know this was not you."

My family does not talk about such things.  She is the family darling-- she has a "rich and successful husband" and all my cousins think she is so glamorous with her bleached hair, her blue contact lenses and her knock-off designer clothing and bags.  Let's not talk about her methadone habit or the nasty way she treats people.

I am still watching my back.  This witch is still around and telling relatives that she and her husband are financially supporting my return to school, when the truth is that I saved my money to go back for a fourth degree.

I do not speak to this woman unless I have to-- she exists, but she is NOT my sister any longer.

April 15, 2007, 4:23 pm CDT

That is what we have asked for years

Quote From: housewife52

What he's doing is illegal. He should be incarcerated. I've been using a shredder for quite a while myself. Also it's good to have a credit check once a year. We have found other names on OUR credit report that are not suppossed to be there.

To answer your question is rather diffucult, cause that is the same question we have asked for years. how did he get away with it. Surely they have checked finger prints or even photos to prove it wasn't his proper ID, but they didn't. He has pulled it off so many times that it is as if he is us. Not until this last incident has it really come to a head. THey main reason he isn't in jail is because once he is release on bond by using our names, he never goes back to court. This is how he avoids arrest. It is my brother and I that are subject to arrest if we are stopped for any reason.

April 16, 2007, 5:12 am CDT

04/17 Identity Theft

we see more and more of this kind of problem this day and time,and until these people learn what the rewards of their crimes are it will not stop any time soon, ever hear the saying a picture is worth a thousand words, well heres one to save me a thousand words, Dr Phil shows the end of the road for identity thieves.

April 17, 2007, 3:52 am CDT

Just because they are family...

Quote From: queen_barbara

It hurts, my child took a gas credit card out of my wallet and in 17 days ran it up to $700.00 and more buying lunch,gas drink etc...for her friends. And ran my phone bill up to around $3000.00. what do you do when it's your kid. I was living on a very tight budget and  thought I was going to go crazy. I cried, went to the church for advice and prayed alot. IT HURTS if you can not trust your family who can you trust.
I read your post with interest.  The worst people to loan money to are family.  It should always be viewed as a gift because most of the time you won't see any repayment.  If my child did something like yours, she would be required to work and repay the money.  Hurts, yes.  But if you don't teach them fiscal responsibility now, they won't be financially responsible adults.  I would be very angry if my child did this.  There things you can do to prevent this.  Ask the phone company to disallow long distance calls.  Don't let her have a cell phone or make it one of those pay as you go plans.  When she runs out of minutes, that is it until next billing cycle.  No one ever said our kids were entitled to all the privileges they have today.  They will survive without a cell phone and text messaging for hours.  But as parents we have to be willing to take that uncomfortable path and be strong.

April 17, 2007, 7:28 am CDT

HE'S THE YOUNGER BROTHER!?!

Holy moley!  He looks like he's ninety!  And he's the YOUNGER brother?  Dude, if ever there was a public service announcement about the ravages of drug abuse, he's it.  Wow, what a loser!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last