Message Boards

Topic : 08/16 Family Drama

Number of Replies: 381
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 20, 2007, 02:35:21 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/23/07) No matter how much we try to avoid it, conflict is a part of life. But what happens when an entire family points the finger at one person as the source of the chaos? Carrie’s family calls her a drama queen who tries to destroy their relationships. Her sister, Miranda, says Carrie called their mother trash and wants their father to divorce her. Her brother, Meikle, says Carrie is upset because she didn’t approve of his fiancée and now refuses to attend his wedding. Carrie admits that she can be attracted to conflict, but says she feels isolated by her family. Then, Carrie’s parents, LaRon and Susan, confront her about trying to break up their marriage. Carrie hasn’t spoken to her mom in over a month, and they face off onstage. Plus, Carrie reveals a shocking secret that she’s kept from her family for years. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 23, 2007, 12:59 pm CDT

Absolutely

Quote From: dmkb44

absolutely, I think it's pretty obvious.  She screams narcisstic personality disorder. It was very frustrating that Dr. Phil missed the mark on this one.

I have seen this behavior before and I believe this family needs more than Dr. Phil. It seemed that she was enjoying the sympathy, when her family finally realize her problem. Did anyone notice her smiling or amused at how her family was so....concern. I almost choked. Dr. Phil was possibly overwhelm with all the members of this family, but the camera captured her need for attention quite well.  I have a family member that acts this way, but I don't play along. Nor do I encourage it with my family. Family....what would you do without them.

April 23, 2007, 1:11 pm CDT

Been there, still doing that

My youngest sister is the drama queen in our family.  If she does not get the reaction she expects, then she drops the offending person like a hot potato.  My husband died 12 years ago and during the funeral my sister decided it was her job to get me through the grief.  When I was doing ok on my own she told me that I did not appreciate how she got me through that time. Just lately she dropped my older sister and myself because she thought we were in cahoots with each other because we went on a trip without her.   She had told us she did not want to go.  The last straw is that my oldest sister is now going to have breast cancer surgery and my youngest sister refuses to contact us about it.   My mother suffered alot through the years from the same drama queen but since I was married no one told me about all the stuff she pulled.   My older sister and I have decided to let things go and not to get involved with all the drama.  It is not worth it.   We are better off keeping the dynamics as uncluttered as possible.

April 23, 2007, 1:16 pm CDT

Carrie

Not much scares me but this child does. You can just see the evil in her eyes...

April 23, 2007, 1:18 pm CDT

Ya Think??

absolutely, I think it's pretty obvious.  She screams narcisstic personality disorder. It was very frustrating that Dr. Phil missed the mark on this one.
The shows not over yet...Do you have your own show? I'd like to watch it seeing how he is so wrong about this....

April 23, 2007, 1:19 pm CDT

teksmom

I fully agree with housewifeon this- Dr.Phil missed the mark on this.  I would put him as a listener, but he didn't listen or hear today!!!

April 23, 2007, 1:35 pm CDT

Family drama

I have tried to live by the standard that I am not perfect, that I have contributed to the rift in my husbands family, and that some one has to make the first move. The problem is that a first move is no good when it is the only move. I have given up on trying. Perhaps it is wrong but I can only invest so much energy into a relationship that is never going to be. If I was dating, and I was the only one to call or go to the other persons house, if he were to tell me over and over again by his behaviior that I am not good enough, if he were to only call when his girlfriend dumped him, I would be told to cut my losses and run. I have done that. I can no longer listen to my hushands mother tell me that my children stress her out and she gets sick, 17, 14,9 when she spends all of her time with an un-potty trained 5 yr old who she allows to talk to her like she were the dog. In other words, my kids make her sick. I don't stop my kids from seeing their grandparents, but I don't encourage it either. I can't see any reason for them to continue to be rejected. I don't stop my husband from seeing his parents but I will not go with him to listen to them remind him he was supposed to be a girl. His brother provided the mom with a daughter when he married, her daughter provided the grandson, we have no place in thier lives and we are happier. The less we have to do with them the less we argue (usually over comments they have made, or accusations that I am sleeping around and that the kids couldn't possibly be his). My kids don't talk about how their cousin is favored if they aren't exposed to it on a regular basis and are free to enjoy what limited time they have with him. I am not sure what else to do, or if this is even the correct course of action, I have enough baggage of my own with out being drawn into the co-dependant relationships of  the in-laws. Dr. Phil always says "Don't invest more than you can afford to lose." I am not willing to lose my self-respect, dignity, marriage, or the sel-respect and dignity of my children or husband. It is sad that one co-dependant relationship prevents the healing and formation of others, but that is a choice that has been made, right or wrong, but a choice has been made on both sides.

April 23, 2007, 1:36 pm CDT

04/23 Family Drama

Quote From: louisecan2

I dont have Bi-polar, but my oldest daughter does. I can relate so well how you feel in your family. I am adopted and white. My sister and brother were adopted in Alaska and are Athabascian Indian...which makes them darker. I don't care what I say or do, it is never good enough for them. I decided 3 years ago to call it quits. It wasn't good for my daughter or other children to see the favoritism, nor was it good for me emotionally. I would never measure up. What is so sad, is my dad is a Mormon bishop. Yep, talk about a hypocrite! He can counsel others well, and when it comes to his own family, allows the dysfunction...walk away, concentrate on your health and get your SSI. Remember, if you allow their behavior, accept the consquences of how it makes you feel. Get Dr. Phil's book--"Doing what works-Doing what Matters". It is excellent, and you will be surprised what you find out about  yourself that allows others to take you down into that dark tunnel of depression....Best of Luck to you...

I am so, so sorry for how your family has treated you.  I also know how it feels to have family say things, then deny it.   I hope you and your children will be okay.  Remember, GOD LOVES YOU, and you are not alone. He wants the best for you and your family, and has a wonderful plan for you.   It'll be all right.

April 23, 2007, 1:47 pm CDT

its like dejavu!!

I am almost 19 years old and i have already gone through this.

I'm a very secretive person when it comes to my personal life. I barely tell my family anything about it! i've said things to my parents that i regret...my mom and i got into it a lot a while back! but there's one thing i've learned...and it hit me hard! You only have one mother! You only have one father! they can have other kids but you can never have other parents! I love my parents and i appreciate everything they do for me! without them i would not be on my own! i wouldnt know what to do! I know that no matter how many times my parents have gone through my stuff or pushed themselves into my business in any way...they only do it because they care! they want to know whats going on in my life! If i dont tell them who will?

so basically...i know how this girl feels...like her privacy has been invaded...like theres no one there that she can talk to! but i also know that its not healthy to keep everything inside! if i dont want a lot of people to know about certain things i write it down in a journal! it does help! I may only be 19 but the past couple years i have had to grow up a lot faster than most teens have! i've been depressed...i've been lonely! but i figured out that it doesnt have to be that way! I've never been so mad at my mom that i told her i hate her or that she was trash...but i have been known to hold a grudge! but when it comes down to it...you should never TRY to break up your parents marriage! just think...if that were your daughter would you want her to tell your husband that he can do better? and don't say "well i'll never be like my mom" because chances are you will! and you'll understand the reasons she had to do what she did so much better!

April 23, 2007, 1:51 pm CDT

Are you kidding?

I'm sorry, this show made me laugh out loud.  They are all nuts!  Total waste of an hour.

April 23, 2007, 1:52 pm CDT

ok ok ok...she is VERY good...

So does anyone else see whats going on here? Ok they were attacking her...now she's getting them to feel sorry for her...oh brother...give me a break. Dad needs to take the bull by the horn and be a MAN, defend his wife, heck-she should defend herself....now everyones happy, smiling, right where CARRIE wants them. She is a MAJOR MANIPULATOR....they are an unbelievable mess....look, she's loving this...

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last